Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoD: multiple alchemists still worth it?

From what we know so far, are the following ideas still correct:

1. Garrisons won't provide the equivalent of a daily crafting cooldown with their "access to other professions" feature

2. The daily cooldown transmute will still be a valuable thing, desired by many other professions as a source of materials

This would justify having multiple alchemists as a source of income.

10+ Year Old Account
    What else are you going to have multiples of? In my eyes, the only things worth having multiples of are Tailoring for large bag cooldowns, Alchemy for specializations and xmute cooldowns, Inscription for Darkmoon cards, and possibly either Leather Working or Black Smithing if your main doesn't wear cloth. I will have 8 tailors, 6 alchemists, and 7 scribes going into WoD.

What it boils down to is, are transmute cooldowns in the vein of living steel type materials going away come WoD, and if not, will garrisons allowing you limited access to professions not on that particular character allow access to a transmute cooldown? If everyone can do a cooldown by using their garrison, the value of having alchemy as a profession drops significantly, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    What else are you going to have multiples of? In my eyes, the only things worth having multiples of are Tailoring for large bag cooldowns, Alchemy for specializations and xmute cooldowns, Inscription for Darkmoon cards, and possibly either Leather Working or Black Smithing if your main doesn't wear cloth. I will have 8 tailors, 6 alchemists, and 7 scribes going into WoD.
    I would agree with this other than inscription so far - the DMC cards won't be worth it unless they're buffed.

We don't know exactly how valuable daily crafting cd's are, it'll depend on how the other profs look when finalized - but alchemist is probably going to be the most likely one to have multiples of over everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    For the most part it seems that multiple alchemist would be good only if you also have enough mats to process per day. Daily CDs are likely to continue and for alchemist that may take the form of those caldrons.

Not sure if having multiple tailors is helpful because if hex cloth is the same as silk cloth then they are BoP which means you can't consolidate them.

At least some form of sorcerous water/fire/air/earth can be made from each profession.

Still waiting to see what leather working and blacksmithing will yield beside armor crafting that will be gated by a daily CD. I wonder if recipe learning will be tied to those daily CDs as well.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Deleted
    Having multiple tailors will definitely be helpful because a lot of things take Hexweave, so you could make several things at once. It won't reduce the time it takes to make an individual item, but you could be have more times finished by the end of the 10-15 days.

I'd probably keep the army of alchemists for the cauldrons and whatever transmutes with a daily CD they decide to implement.

Multiple scribes made sense in MoP because of the research CD and the Scroll of Wisdom. In WoD, researches don't have CDs anymore and the new DM cards seem to not require CD mats, so if things stay like this, you'll only need one.

So I haven't seen confirmation that a daily transmute will actually still be a part of the alchemy profession. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pmb View Post
    So I haven't seen confirmation that a daily transmute will actually still be a part of the alchemy profession. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
    Am personally hoping most professions get a daily CD that at least one or two other professions require to do some of their shenanigans. I don't have the time nor inclination to roll several alts and be totally self-contained. The amount of gold spent on Living Steel CD's...*shudder*....just seems like something in the realm of "Guess what alchemists, for YOU to maximize your efficiency, you have to have a one-time use contraption that Engineers make. And Engineers have to have a daily CD created by Tailors to make that contraption, which has to be enchanted by a once-daily CD before...and so on. Having one profession, in this case alchemy, play such a lynchpin role in other professions makes it that much more attractive by comparison to the other crafting professions.

Here's hoping that late-game garrisons will in some part break that up. I like having to interact with other players utilizing other professions as far as that's concerned, but would just as soon be paying a number of different professions to enhance my own, rather than having to put a half dozen different random alchemists on my friend list just to search them out for CD's.

Impossible to know at this point. Profession changes are largely still in flux with barely any information provided thus far.

I don't recall them to say that professions granted from Garrison will not have special cooldowns...if anything they said that Garrison profession will be the same as you have the profession yourself. They try to eliminate the need for profession alts so if you make an alt will be because you like that character.

Also in Wowhead -> Tools -> Garrison calculator: there is an explanation of the buildings that say that "refinew raw materials into special Alchemy reagents each day and allows the production of alchemical items". Transmutes are alchemical items.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I don't recall them to say that professions granted from Garrison will not have special cooldowns...if anything they said that Garrison profession will be the same as you have the profession yourself. They try to eliminate the need for profession alts so if you make an alt will be because you like that character.

Also in Wowhead -> Tools -> Garrison calculator: there is an explanation of the buildings that say that "refinew raw materials into special Alchemy reagents each day and allows the production of alchemical items". Transmutes are alchemical items.

Well we don't quite know how much access these garrison buildings provide. As in it could be random transmute you get daily vs being able to pick specifically which transmute you want.

Additionally, it seems that having a garrison building match up with a profession you already have may increase its storage of "daily batches". Outlined here, it seems that if you have the profession (i.e. Alchemy) and you build the appropriate garrison building (Alchemy Lab) you would see it's storage as 1/3/7 for levels 1, 2 and 3 but if you didn't have that profession it would be 1/2/4. That's before the bonus conferred by the garrison building storehouse. Granted all of this is subject to change, but it would indicate that there is some advantage to having garrison buildings match up with the professions you already have.

Also note, that the language text of these buildings seem to indicate that the rate a garrison building produces items are static. The advantage of leveling up a building is simply a function of how long you can wait neglect your garrison before emptying the inventory out (and any additional perks that said building may offer).
    ---
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Well we don't quite know how much access these garrison buildings provide. As in it could be random transmute you get daily vs being able to pick specifically which transmute you want.

Additionally, it seems that having a garrison building match up with a profession you already have may increase its storage of "daily batches". Outlined here, it seems that if you have the profession (i.e. Alchemy) and you build the appropriate garrison building (Alchemy Lab) you would see it's storage as 1/3/7 for levels 1, 2 and 3 but if you didn't have that profession it would be 1/2/4. That's before the bonus conferred by the garrison building storehouse. Granted all of this is subject to change, but it would indicate that there is some advantage to having garrison buildings match up with the professions you already have.

Also note, that the language text of these buildings seem to indicate that the rate a garrison building produces items are static. The advantage of leveling up a building is simply a function of how long you can wait neglect your garrison before emptying the inventory out (and any additional perks that said building may offer).
    All these are theories though When they made the blog post about Garrisons they said that they will make a second one soon that will explain in deep how Garrisons/Professions will work...although until now, they didn't..so before this blog post, we can only speculate
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    All these are theories though When they made the blog post about Garrisons they said that they will make a second one soon that will explain in deep how Garrisons/Professions will work...although until now, they didn't..so before this blog post, we can only speculate
    Very true, it is all speculative despite the information the folks have datamined and what people have posted who are in the Alpha Beta.

However, given the changes so far in Garrisons, I don't think Blizzard has finalized them to where they can make that second post. It would be nice to get some confirmation one way or another though.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Very true, it is all speculative despite the information the folks have datamined and what people have posted who are in the Alpha Beta.

However, given the changes so far in Garrisons, I don't think Blizzard has finalized them to where they can make that second post. It would be nice to get some confirmation one way or another though.
    Yeap, this is what I am waiting for! I have my banks and guild bank full of mats and waiting for more info to decide what profs to reroll to and also if I will need more alts or I can focus on 2-3 chars and still be self efficient

There is only one other viable multiple profession worth taking, and that is inscription so you can spam darkmoon cards the first 2-3 months of the expansion. You can make a few million if you have 10 scribes milling and crafting every single day.

BTW... not a typo. A few million. MILLION. Your biggest money in every expansion since wrath has been Darkmoon cards from inscription. With just one scribe semi-casually crafting darkmoon cards, I profited around 250k in the first 3 months of MoP. I have 3 scribes going into WoD, and may reroll a few more of my profs to scribe.

Otherwise, alchemy is always a great choice due to xmute spec for cd's, and while cd's might be less valuable, they will still be valuable, especially for xmute specs and procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    There is only one other viable multiple profession worth taking, and that is inscription so you can spam darkmoon cards the first 2-3 months of the expansion. You can make a few million if you have 10 scribes milling and crafting every single day.

BTW... not a typo. A few million. MILLION. Your biggest money in every expansion since wrath has been Darkmoon cards from inscription. With just one scribe semi-casually crafting darkmoon cards, I profited around 250k in the first 3 months of MoP. I have 3 scribes going into WoD, and may reroll a few more of my profs to scribe.

Otherwise, alchemy is always a great choice due to xmute spec for cd's, and while cd's might be less valuable, they will still be valuable, especially for xmute specs and procs.
    Not unless the trinkets get significantly buff and a cooldown is placed on the craft. Currently they will barely sell above mats price
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Not unless the trinkets get significantly buff and a cooldown is placed on the craft. Currently they will barely sell above mats price
    You are right, but I would be surprised if the trinkets don't get buffed or if they aren't placeholders at the moment. DM trinkets have been consistently strong at the start of the past few expansions and I believe that's intentional. Maybe they are going a different direction this time around, but I expect they will be buffed at some point prior to WoD.

Ofcourse it's all speculation right now. Personally I'm not expecting them to be buffed but I'd love them to as a real justification for me to keep inscription, otherwise I'll be going LW for random crafts

For those of you with multiple scribes: if you only had two scribes at your disposal, as I do, how would you recommend I go about expansion start crafting? Craft and sell single cards, or try to complete a deck and then sell?

I was under the impression that Profession buildings would function similarly, but at a limited capacity, than the profession itself.

Also, for those Transmutation CDs, you're going to be getting better bang for your buck with a Transmute Master anyways over anything else. Would you rather get 1x the return, or 1-5x the return?