Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Not a state mandated one, but their pay is far higher than ours.
    Don't go assuming there might not be a causal link of some kind there, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This whole idea that there is plenty, and that we don't have to be smart about how resources are developed, and managed, is going to come to an end one way or another.
    There is plenty, and that's how dreadful we are at managing resources as a species, considering we have people dying of exposure and hunger when there are more vacant houses and food than homeless and hungry people.

That is how depressingly fucked up our society is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Can we make unpaid internships illegal as well?
    Sounds like an excellent idea.

In my co-op program, unpaid positions were rejected out of hand at the placement office and weren't eligible for your course credit either.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Don't go assuming there might not be a causal link of some kind there, btw.
    There isn't. The strength of Norway's unions, which have negotiated a minimum wage directly for the workers, is what has created their very high wages and standard of living.

Our unions are either corrupt or dying.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Actually my very first job was at a movie theatre. The theatre itself doesn't actually make a whole lot of money from the viewing of the film itself. (they usually get about 5-10% of ticket sales in the first week of the movie, and then 15% subsequently, the rest going to the producers) But that's why they charge 5 dollars for a small popcorn. A bag of popcorn costs a couple of pennies to make, and they pocket 100% of the profits. Movie theatres would immediately go out of business if all of the movie producers suddenly decided they wanted to do day 1 digital distribution. Which they should. 35mm is sharper than 1080p, but only if you have perfectly calibrated equipment, and it's nowhere near as sharp as 4k. But obviously I've come way off topic. SUPPORT DAY 1 DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION FOR MOVIES!
    HAhaha yep General Cinema's Mall of America was one of my first jobs too, and pretty much everything you said right down the line, and even though we got paid like crap, it didn't stop them from charging 10$ a ticket which for at the time was very expensive, but it didn't stop the place from being packed every weekend and even during the week. But of course we had some older tyrant managers who for as hard as we did work, would lay that bullshit on us about how much harder he worked when he first got in the business, guess he thought his stories helped pay peoples bills which is why people worked there in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is plenty, and that's how dreadful we are at managing resources as a species, considering we have people dying of exposure and hunger when there are more vacant houses
    Not just more, but many times more. There are roughly 22 vacant homes for every homeless person in the USA.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    you mean like walmart? mcdonalds? aha, why don´t they have to pay their fair share?
    They do, right around 33%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    never even heard of them *gG*
    Largest crude oil/natural gas producer in the US. Paid well over 50% for many years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    So much hyperbole and nonsense in these statements it is hard to know where to begin, so I won't. This has nothing to do with paying a fair living wage or demonizing people for access they take advantage of in some areas while some don't the market is set up to determine what industries are move solvent than others. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, or the problem. Which is, IF YOU WORK, you should be able to make a livable wage even at the bottom.

Whether it be Taco Bell, Greeter at Walmart, or the guy at Gamestop, If you have a business, you need treat your employees like valuable parts of your business and Compensate them accordingly.

If there is NOT BUSINESS, then there really is NOT NEED to worry about having employees, but simply because you WANT to be in business, doesn't mean you can be or should be, if you can't do what you are supposed to.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold your tongue Sir, hold your Tongue, obviously she has applied herself, and worked very hard.
    So you are saying part time and/or entry level jobs should not exist. All jobs should be designed to be a full time, I'm an adult, support a family job.

Fine, we can agree to disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    Closer to 31%, but they are often used as an example of how corporations paying what they owe does NOT put them out of business.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

There isn't an "overwhelming amount" of good paying jobs. There are 2.18 job seekers for every vacant position at last estimate. Entry level jobs should pay a living wage, or there's no fucking point in having a minimum wage.
    the fact that companies bring in millions of legal immigrants to work good paying, non college, jobs proves otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is plenty, and that's how dreadful we are at managing resources as a species, considering we have people dying of exposure and hunger when there are more vacant houses and food than homeless and hungry people.

That is how depressingly fucked up our society is.
    Yep and the extreme far right know this which is why they are always advocating GUN rights and whipping up hysteria about the poor and what not, because they certainly plan to create as much of the Chaos as possible.

Because instead of treating people right by paying them a livable wage, it is more important to tell them stories about why THEY are entitled but YOU are NOT, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Slaskra View Post
    That's actually the one part of both Wal-Mart and Mcdonald's that I respect: unlike a lot of other huge corporations, they don't dodge a lot of their taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    the fact that companies bring in millions of legal immigrants to work good paying, non college, jobs proves otherwise.
    no... it proves that H1B workers are cheaper then domestic labor.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes. If I'm doing the numbers right, the minimum wage in the Netherlands is the equivalent of $9.98 USD.
    It is $11.75 or so actually. You probably have used the minimum wage of teenagers.
    Actually minimum wage is per month. It depends on how many hours a week you work (can be 36 to 40 hour work week, it will all give you the monthly minimum). This is €1495,20. Per month and not 4 weeks. It is indexed 2 times per year on the average union wage (the average wage over all unions).

Hah. This little building is the the home of over 200,000 corporations.

Yeah, mine is actually more a firm that handles head quarter business in stead of just a mailbox. They file taxes in the Netherlands. Make deals on the height of the taxes they want to pay with the government (yup, that is possible here except if you are a Dutch company pretty much haha). They make sure that all extra benefits are used to get out of paying taxes in other countries. Like for instance, in the Netherlands any R&D costs can get extra tax brakes.

It's not "millions," unless you're talking about over decades. Total immigration, which includes skilled, unskilled, and educational opportunity immigrants, is just under a million a year, on average.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are saying part time and/or entry level jobs should not exist. All jobs should be designed to be a full time, I'm an adult, support a family job.

Fine, we can agree to disagree.

We either agree or disagree, there is no such thing as agreeing to disagree, LOL

All Jobs entry level or not should pay a fair livable wage, period end of story. IMO

There isn't an "overwhelming amount" of good paying jobs. There are 2.18 job seekers for every vacant position at last estimate. Entry level jobs should pay a living wage, or there's no fucking point in having a minimum wage.
    Once again i ask you. how many of those job seekers are actually wanting to work and how many of them are incapable of working. There may be that many job seekers to every job but i still scratch my head as to how i can literally walk into any of the 4 call centers in my immediate area and walk out with a $10+/hr job. The Pizza hut down the street from me ALWAYS has a "now hiring drivers" sign in the window. That job averages over $10/hr in my area. (i worked there so i'd know). With a roommate, girlfriend, fiance or wife also making that kind of money a person would have no problem getting by long enough to get schooled.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

The food part is more sickening. Truckloads of perfectly good food, being carted off to the landfill, still in the otherwise recyclable cardboard box from the manufacturer. We've gotten so proficient at producing food that it's cheaper to make way more than we need and bury some of it in a hole in the ground never to be seen again than it is to make sure everybody has enough to eat.

A part of my soul died, when I realized that humanity has solved world hunger. The only thing stopping that solution from being implemented is the fact that there's not enough green paper (which represents human initiative) allocated to that solution.

We talk about our society being peaceful and civilized, while we sentence millions of people to starve to death each year through our inaction. Brilliant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Yet the USA still has plenty of people who totally okay with the amount of homeless that exist. Meanwhile, some European countries barely have any homeless people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    Once again i ask you. how many of those job seekers are actually wanting to work and how many of them are incapable of working. There may be that many job seekers to every job but i still scratch my head as to how i can literally walk into any of the 4 call centers in my immediate area and walk out with a $10+/hr job. The Pizza hut down the street from me ALWAYS has a "now hiring drivers" sign in the window. That job averages over $10/hr in my area. (i worked there so i'd know). With a roommate, girlfriend, fiance or wife also making that kind of money a person would have no problem getting by long enough to get schooled.
    I'm pretty sure the job seeker statistic does not include those unable to work. Also, your own experience does not apply to everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    The BLS doesn't include those unable to work in it's job-seeker numbers. It's the same as the unemployment number: those that are actively seeking work. Now, maybe they're being too picky about where they work, but there are other considerations as well.

You really can't use your area's job prospects and apply them to the nation at large. Also, one of your jobs, the delivery driver, requires that you have a vehicle, which some job seekers do not.