Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    If you're a narcissistic sociopath, sure.
    Well now that you're just insulting people we know you've conceded the argument.

Deleted
    Why would you stay for bosses you don't need.
    You don't owe anybody shit, "It's not nice?" You're playing a game for enjoyment, not to befriend 9 strangers on a friday night.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    That last paragraph pretty much proves you also have a treshold for leaving. You are the person to decide when they're wasting your time, it's your opinion, and completely arbitrary. OP thinks doing bosses he needs nothing of is a waste of time. Everyone has their own view. There is no right or wrong unless you're the mother theresa of pugs and never ever leave till you're the last man standing in the instance. In which case you could call the others selfish yes.
    Essentially you are arguing that all selfish acts are equally bad, regardless of magnitude, which is, I am sorry to say, a preposterous assertion. The degree to which someone acts selfishly makes a huge difference to the point where some selfish actions can become regarded as being generally acceptable while others will never be.

10+ Year Old Account
    That last paragraph pretty much proves you also have a treshold for leaving. You are the person to decide when they're wasting your time, it's your opinion, and completely arbitrary. OP thinks doing bosses he needs nothing of is a waste of time. Everyone has their own view. There is no right or wrong unless you're the mother theresa of pugs and never ever leave till you're the last man standing in the instance. In which case you could call the others selfish yes.
    Oh sorry, I didn't realise my opinion was arbritrary, I'll stop sharing it right now. The OP clearly wasn't asking for them with a title such as "Thoughts on joining and not finishing". Man, and here I was under the incorrect impression that he wanted to start a discussion on whether or not we feel it is right.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    Well now that you're just insulting people we know you've conceded the argument.
    Now that you are resorting to strawman arguments we know you've conceded the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    I guess I just wasn't feeling super nice about raid groups. I'd been in 4 groups previously that day trying to get Galakras, only for a tank to leave before we started, wait for 20 minutes looking for another, then the whole group falls apart and I start over again. Being a DPS, I figured it would be easy for them to replace me, it being a friday night.
    So you are saying that you experienced being in a group where a member leaves and you know how frustrated it leaves you. Why would you then do that to other people?

If they wiped a few times before you got there, then they obviously had someone else leave before you joined. I don't blame them for bitching you out; finding people is time consuming and can be difficult. I'm usually the type to try to be nice but that would have made me lose my shit too. :| DPS is an important role in raiding; if there isn't enough of it, bosses don't get downed in time and it causes wipes. Believe it or not, but I've seen players in DPS roles with 540 ilvl barely doing 80-100k.

It's ok to only want to proceed to a certain point, but you should make sure the raid leader knows that you only intend to stay up until a specific boss. Personally, I think it's rude to leave a raid half-finished just because you feel there's nothing in it for you. Like someone posted before me -- people helped you get to that boss, you should help them in return. It's a multiplayer game for a reason.

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the people getting mad at me. (I wasn't aware that this was such a touchy subject. Yee-ikes)
    "I only think about myself to the detriment of groups I go with". I too am shocked that people are touchy about someone being rude and self centered. It's hilarious that you are so "me" centric you can't even see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Think about it this way: what if some of the players in that raid only needed something from Garrosh themselves?
    then why the heck was he in that raid in first place instead join one of milion garosh only pugs ? //shrug his own fault for not managing his time correckly.

and to OP what u did minght have been not nice but its efficient - now they can get someone who may need loot from next bosses and u save your time - win win for me

Without sounding harsh; Who cares?

You're never going to see these people again, and you know what you did was selfish so why make a thread about it? It sucks when you don't get the loot you want, but that's no reason to leave. You made a stupid call, you know, now move on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Why would you stay for bosses you don't need.
    You don't owe anybody shit, "It's not nice?" You're playing a game for enjoyment, not to befriend 9 strangers on a friday night.
    Nothing wrong with that WHEN you tell that before you join so the 9 other people can choose to let you join or choose to find someone else who s willing to stay longer. Seems only fair to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are joining a group where people can't be readily replaced (i.e. LFR), it's upon you to let them know you're likely going to dip out early. It is also their prerogative to not invite you on that basis.

Leaving early intentionally is just sort of rude, and annoying for the raid. It's entirely possible that they weren't able to replace you and had to quit, so you wasted a lot of people's time.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Apparently, that's not what everyone else thinks is the way to do things. It's wierd, since my general experience with pugs has been people quitting the group at the drop of a hat (everyone seems to do it, regardless of what raid difficulty), yet everyone here seems to think it's as bad as barbequeing a kitten.

My thoughts exactly, Derpette.
    Those people that just quit typically aren't the people you will find posting here.

That being said, if I advertise a raid going 14/14, I'm expecting the potential raiders to go 14/14 or until things fall apart or whatever. If I advertise a raid for 4 bosses, I expect the people interested should be contacting me for those 4 bosses. Not one, not two, not 3 wipes. I can't fathom how it could be so difficult to let the leader know you are only interested in x boss and that you would like to join. It seems rather disrespectful to join a group with like intentions with yours being unlike theirs. Emergencies do happen, thats not what this is about at all.

If you can't dedicate the time or effort for what the leader is advertising for you should probably find another raid with like intentions. That being said, that is just my opinion.

Also lol'd hard at "barbequeing a kitten"

Deleted
    Basicly you just used them to try to get what you need and after that you didn't want to help them out to get what they need.

Well this is exactly why I don't do complete random garbage. You rarely meet somebody not worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus996 View Post
    WHEN you tell that before you join
    We all know nobody picks up people like that as it's just a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's very true, everyone has their opinion and its not a case where you can clearly state "this is the right way and that's that". But the OP asked for opinions and it seems that many people think he was being rude. The OP himself obviously had at least some internal misgivings about it because a) he didn't inform them from the start and b) he lied about why he was leaving.

I agree that its rude to do that. You should be upfront with the group you are joining. Maybe that means they won't take you, but maybe they've been looking for a dps for 10 mins and just want to get on with killing the boss. By joining, not telling them, and dipping out after he's making them spend more time looking for a replacement when maybe they could have taken someone who would have stayed for a while. Sure, plenty of people do this in pugs, particularly through oqueue, but the OP asked for opinions and I think he was being selfish and somewhat of a dick to that group. Its far from the end of the world and far from the worst behavior in WoW. Its not the end of the world and if I was in his raid I wouldn't have started bombarding him with insults over it.

In my opinion you shouldn't join a raid with the intention of doing just one boss without letting them know. If I was in his position I'd have stayed around for a while - another couple of bosses or where they reach the point of wiping a few times on another boss that shows they aren't going to get it. If I didn't have time for that I wouldn't have looked for a group. I'm sure there are some people who would say that my cut-off line for when to leave isn't high enough either. To me though, he was being rude to the group and he shouldn't have been overly surprised by their reaction nor the responses he's received here.

Deleted
    The problem with OQ (or most pug) is that they do not define the end of the run. End of the run could be : last boss killed, or a fixed time.

Can you tell me the chance you have to kill Garrosh when you join a group at galakras ? I think i've been in a pug that did it once, out of dozens groups. So last boss killed when joining so early is out of question. And i never saw an end time of raid specified on OQ.

As a personal rule, when i join a pug group without end time defined, i stay at least 1 hour or 1 hour and half, so that i get the boss i need, but i also help other get loot from other bosses after that (should be enough to down 4-8 bosses).
    Only exceptions are if the group fails hard (1 or 2 advices after the first wipe did not produce any result : no feeling of progression on the second wipe) or if the ML ninja loot.

They were rude and wrong for throwing insults at you for leaving, you have a choice and nobody can force you what to do with your character or time. However, I also think it was your fault for joining the run without telling em you'll have to go after Galakras, or knowing that you don't have the time to finish the run.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I probably won't stay for the whole run, but I'll probably help out with a boss or two extra from now on.

Is it common practice to join for something from the first boss, only taking 10-20 minutes at most, then staying 4-5 additional hours (they weren't that great, they wiped a few times before I joined, so there would probably be more to come) when you will get nothing you need?.
    You are assuming people are there for loot, and not for the fun of beating the encounters.

Which obviously is wrong.

The 9 people helped you kill the boss YOU needed, but you didn't help them beat the boss THEY needed.. it's a little selfish don't you think?

Edit: Why do you need the trinket anyways if you don't raid more than one boss in a full raid? I mean the whole point of gearing up is to make it easier to progress in raids, obviously you're not raiding for that.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2014-07-30 at 09:48 PM.

Thankfully, normal (heroic in WoD) is flexible so won't have these issues anymore when pugging. Much more relaxed for everyone involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.