Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Rogues never change because Rogues are already perfect
    Keep telling yourself that. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

War, war never changes.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    combat never feels great until the last tier anyway.
    And we are just going to accept this? More reasons why making AoC passive for Combat would have been the right decision. I enjoyed combat in SoO, but before that? Not so much...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paincake View Post
    And we are just going to accept this? More reasons why making AoC passive for Combat would have been the right decision. I enjoyed combat in SoO, but before that? Not so much...
    We're not accepting it we just accepted that there's nothing we can do because according to the devs "we're fine".

Since the general consensus seems to be "if you like them on live you'll like them in WOD", allow me to pose a follow up question:

How fun are rogues on live right now?

I haven't played a rogue since BC (and that was PVP only) so I'm not at all familiar with how they play right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Since the general consensus seems to be "if you like them on live you'll like them in WOD", allow me to pose a follow up question:

I haven't played a rogue since BC (and that was PVP only) so I'm not at all familiar with how they play right now.
    Rogues are in a decent place on live but WoD brings a lot of QoL stuff plus the game play in WoD resembles BC in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paincake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    We're not accepting it we just accepted that there's nothing we can do because according to the devs "we're fine".
    We shouldn't accept it because its entirely false. Combat has been fine once you get epics from the first tier. And if 'best in the last tier' is related to the pacing being faster, the pacing was the fastest ever in t15 with 4 set which is a middle tier.

In PvE yes and no. Our dps rotation has been bland ever since they simplified cata's sub rotation, and as far as that goes, I think rogues aren't fun compared to a lot of other options. That said, fights aren't tank and spank and if you are also considering our non dps tools and what we can do with them then I think rogues are fun. But if we're talking like an LFR alt where every boss is basically tank and spank, I'd vote no.

Here is the quick version:

Rogue strength (that is to say, the classes ability to do well on PvE meters and PvP ladders) is, and has usually been solid.

Rogue class design has not moved forward since Vanilla. They are still almost exactly the same class, with a slightly modified rotation.
    If you have not ever played rogue (or taken a very, very long break like you have) they might be fun for you. But I warn you that for most people (I say this as an opinionated observation, not a true fact) get bored of the class very, very quickly.

There is nothing special about rogue, our signature abilities were given out to other classes, if you want to stealth, play hunter or druid and enjoy being ranged or able to fill 4 different roles. If you want high combat mobility, play warrior or monk, as our sprint was given out to every class in the game and while Burst of Speed is (too) powerful, it is severely lacking in interest. We also have three specs that have no distinct flavor (Assassin, Assassin who uses stronger poisons, and Assassin who makes their target bleed) All three specs play very similar and your toolkit is pretty much identical between the three (although this is changing a small amount in warlords).

Also, do not expect to play a "thief" as we have been moving steadily away from that. Our poisons operate more like magical enchantments, we no longer get thieves' tools, disarm trap is being removed, pick pocket farming (which is still not as profitable as the AoE farming other classes can do) is severely nerfed any time we find a spot that can actually use it to make decent money. There are no more max level locked chests, doors, etc, in instances or around the world, stealth is very weak due to A) The vast amount of AoE now in the game and B) rogue openers being nerfed over the years due to complaints.

Overall you'd be better of playing feral or WW, gaining not only hybrid-ity but also a great deal more flavor, identity, updated and much more fluid mechanics (Chi is what rogue CP should have been) more interesting visuals, and 2-3 other specs that are fully developed and completely different from your primary spec. Not to mention that rogue has some of the lowest solo/farming ability in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    If only Feral could be played in caster form ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    If only Feral could be played in caster form ._.
    It can be played in cat-people form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It can be played in cat-people form.
    Which would be naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninepenny View Post
    Nothing major happened, so if you enjoy rogue on live, you'll enjoy it on WoD.

It's quite nice, but it could have been much better.

1) 360 backstab
    2) CP being actually ON the rogue, not "on the rogue". But it looks like their programming department couldn't be arsed to reprogram our CP finishers to act as if CPs are ON us. Instead, we got this ham-fisted solution which is already proven to be bugged.
    3) Anticipation acting like increased CP capacity.

I honestly don't see how these 3 points could be detrimental to our class if implemented.
    there is not a 360 backstab. I just tested it on beta. You can only 360 backstab/ambush on target dummies. Not mobs/players. however, you can be on the side of npcs/players for ambush/backstab to connect.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    there is not a 360 backstab. I just tested it on beta. You can only 360 backstab/ambush on target dummies. Not mobs/players. however, you can be on the side of npcs/players for ambush/backstab to connect.
    They weren't saying those were changes made but rather changes that should have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    They weren't saying those were changes made but rather changes that should have happened.
    Bah I misread. I see that now. Apologies.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    Of course you can't... you couldn't call it a backstab if you can use it from the front. Apparently you can still call it a backstab if you are using it from the side... blizzard logic 'everything but the front = back'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Of course you can't... you couldn't call it a backstab if you can use it from the front. Apparently you can still call it a backstab if you are using it from the side... blizzard logic 'everything but the front = back'.
    Because it's possible to stab someone by swinging your arm in from the side to the middle--Not just by thrusting straight forward.
    You can totally stab someone in the back without being directly behind them.

Because it's possible to stab someone by swinging your arm in from the side to the middle--Not just by thrusting straight forward.
    You can totally stab someone in the back without being directly behind them.
    Positional requirements had to be removed completely. Period. There is no reason why 1 dps spec should be gimped in every solo content. If one ability name is a reason for that, then it's just retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninepenny View Post
    Positional requirements had to be removed completely. Period. There is no reason why 1 dps spec should be gimped in every solo content. If one ability name is a reason for that, then it's just retarded.
    I wasn't being sarcastic.

Deleted
    Here is the quick version:

Rogue strength (that is to say, the classes ability to do well on PvE meters and PvP ladders) is, and has usually been solid.

Rogue class design has not moved forward since Vanilla. They are still almost exactly the same class, with a slightly modified rotation.
    If you have not ever played rogue (or taken a very, very long break like you have) they might be fun for you. But I warn you that for most people (I say this as an opinionated observation, not a true fact) get bored of the class very, very quickly.

There is nothing special about rogue, our signature abilities were given out to other classes, if you want to stealth, play hunter or druid and enjoy being ranged or able to fill 4 different roles. If you want high combat mobility, play warrior or monk, as our sprint was given out to every class in the game and while Burst of Speed is (too) powerful, it is severely lacking in interest. We also have three specs that have no distinct flavor (Assassin, Assassin who uses stronger poisons, and Assassin who makes their target bleed) All three specs play very similar and your toolkit is pretty much identical between the three (although this is changing a small amount in warlords).

Also, do not expect to play a "thief" as we have been moving steadily away from that. Our poisons operate more like magical enchantments, we no longer get thieves' tools, disarm trap is being removed, pick pocket farming (which is still not as profitable as the AoE farming other classes can do) is severely nerfed any time we find a spot that can actually use it to make decent money. There are no more max level locked chests, doors, etc, in instances or around the world, stealth is very weak due to A) The vast amount of AoE now in the game and B) rogue openers being nerfed over the years due to complaints.

Overall you'd be better of playing feral or WW, gaining not only hybrid-ity but also a great deal more flavor, identity, updated and much more fluid mechanics (Chi is what rogue CP should have been) more interesting visuals, and 2-3 other specs that are fully developed and completely different from your primary spec. Not to mention that rogue has some of the lowest solo/farming ability in the game.
    I find it somewhat insulting that they didn't bother to update CP UI to reflect that it supposedly stacks on the rogue. Priests, warlocks, paladins etc all have had overhauls wich refined their overall playstyle. Hunters are now much different then the old days of mana and deadzone with new and improved mechanics. Admittedly, after 9 years of playing a rogue, the urge to lvl up other things in WoD is pretty great. Unless Blizz manages to make the Rogue class seem more fresh.
    Oh well, most positive thing I saw, was new blade flurry animation that doesn't look like a flashy paladin animation.

There is nothing special about rogue, our signature abilities were given out to other classes, if you want to stealth, play hunter or druid and enjoy being ranged or able to fill 4 different roles. If you want high combat mobility, play warrior or monk, as our sprint was given out to every class in the game and while Burst of Speed is (too) powerful, it is severely lacking in interest.
    I find this way of thinking a bit.. silly. :P Another way to say exactly what you're saying is: "If you want to combine all the good parts of other classes into one class, then play a Rogue". Am I not right? You just had to list several classes in order to match the Rogue. And seriously, in no way do the stealth capabilities of Druids and Hunters outshine what Rogues have. Rogue Stealth is in such a shape at the moment that I can't really imagine what more you'd want it to do? If you want it to be more like Prowl, then hey, let's reduce your movement while Stealthed. Or more like Camouflage? Let's give Stealth a 1 minute cooldown. Think about what you're saying. In no way do I desire anything from these two classes when it comes to stealth capabilities. Apart from maybe the looks of Camouflage..

Speaking purely about T16 now (SoO), Rogue mobility is in very good shape. You'll be hard pressed to find a better mobility ability like Shadowstep. It takes you to your target, instantly, boosts your movement for a bit, has a short cooldown, can be used on any target, and you can use it even if you're mid-air. What beats "You-press-a-button-and-appear-on-your-target"? Charge and Feral Charge come close, but they have travel time, can't be used within 5 yards, and won't boost your movement speed. Should you need to use a mobility ability for avoiding hazards then Sprint gets the job done. And it will have a relatively short cooldown assuming you're playing Combat. Again, I wouldn't trade anything for Shadowstep. And especially Burst of Speed on Heroic Malkorok..

Mobility is mostly about ways to stay on your target, and in regards of "staying on your target" Rogues have great evasive abilities that makes them able to stay on their target when other classes need to run out. Cloak of Shadows is the main contributor here, but Feint and Evasion can let you soak stuff other classes need to run away from. With all the tools Rogues have they've certainly proved their worth in raiding, and if anything they're very special.