Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

New elemental mastery~

Why is the entire elemental community not kicking and screaming about this abomination??

It's a clunky uncontrollable damage source akin to searing totem. It honestly feels like it belongs in vanilla design.

It's impossible to be balanced as an attractive stat without opening a gearing option to make 40%+ of our damage happen just by existing which is bad gameplay.

It means that all elementals regardless of skill with do X entry damage + a skill based component. The X increases as gear increases, skill doesn't have any impact on it at all??

No elemental that takes raiding even remotely seriously should be standing by and letting this exist.

It looks neat.

I've run a few dungeons with elemental shamans and I think the spell effect looks pretty nifty, although I feel its a bit too Frost Mage rehash. That aside, I was under the impression it just did a % of extra damage on your attacks in a non-bursty way. Am I wrong? I don't see the big deal.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    It's nowhere near as cool as Elemental Overload, and to be honest I can barely see the animation. I can see it blending in with the environment to a degree that makes it difficult to notice, it would be nice if there was more visually pleasing lava dripping off it or something.

Regarding the mechanic, it's not really interesting, but it did seem as if it did a reasonable amount of damage from what I've seen of it on the beta. They can buff or nerf it to whatever degree they want as it's a pure single target stat now, so if it does feel weak they can make it more powerful.

Deleted
    "Why is the entire elemental community not kicking and screaming about this abomination??"
    becouse its cool looking, i love it, looks awesome, and even better, ITS SOMETHING NEW,
    i mained a fire mage in cata, and i really wasnt happy with the changes they made, so i switched, these are small changes, and i can deal with these it makes me wanne play shaman in wod to, and not scream that they changed so much that it became unplayable for me,

i love the new mastery, i love impaling my victems with spikes of earth, and it gives the shaman a bit more of an agressive look, but thats like, only my opinion dude (cough)

also, you talk about balancing, for now all i can do to reply to that is scream "THIS IS BETA, THERE ARE MANY BUGS AND UNBALANCED FEATURES, IT WILL GET TWEAKED!"
    Last edited by mmoc4a84868b69; 2014-08-01 at 06:56 AM.

Deleted
    I admit that I have no idea about the present WoD masteries, so please enlighten me:

Which one requires player skill and to which degree?

Thanks!

And yeah, I dislike having too many changes, so I would rather prefer that they left the masteries as they are today and focus more on other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentres View Post
    Which one requires player skill and to which degree?
    Marksmanship Hunters are required to stand still sometimes, Arcane Mages need to minimise their Mana expenditure.
    Pretty much all other masteries are entirely passive bonuses, like this one is and overload was.

Quote Originally Posted by desert-wind View Post
    Why is the entire elemental community not kicking and screaming about this abomination??

It's a clunky uncontrollable damage source akin to searing totem. It honestly feels like it belongs in vanilla design.

It's impossible to be balanced as an attractive stat without opening a gearing option to make 40%+ of our damage happen just by existing which is bad gameplay.

It means that all elementals regardless of skill with do X entry damage + a skill based component. The X increases as gear increases, skill doesn't have any impact on it at all??

No elemental that takes raiding even remotely seriously should be standing by and letting this exist.
    Our current mastery take 0 skill besides pressing buttons and does a lot of our dmg as is. Kinda sounds the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Our current mastery take 0 skill besides pressing buttons and does a lot of our dmg as is. Kinda sounds the same.
    Is not the same.

Damage dealt by our current mastery is dependant of our rotation, if a shaman do its rotation bad, the mastery will do poor damage.

With Draenor mastery no matter if you do a perfect rotation or only spam flame shock.

No one is kicking and screaming because it looks awesome.

I think its very likely we will be looking at haste and multistrike as the go to secondary stats.

There is a thread that discusses the mastery already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shamantime View Post
    There is a thread that discusses the mastery already.
    Thanks for your insight officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Xexurra View Post
    Is not the same.
    Damage dealt by our current mastery is dependant of our rotation, if a shaman do its rotation bad, the mastery will do poor damage.
    With Draenor mastery no matter if you do a perfect rotation or only spam flame shock.
    In both those cases, your damage would be crap...so there's no real change.

AND I'd say the current mastery doesn't care if you do the rotation correctly or not, only that you spam LB, LvB or CL as much as possible. There is no "skill" to it in the way you seem to be implying - just like all the other passive masteries don't really have any skill to them.

Deleted
    Searing Totem v.2

numbers tuning hasnt even happened relax

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruge View Post
    Thanks for your insight officer.
    Just enlightening the unenlightened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

Elemental who has done every raid test and dungeon except for Butcher. The only problem as it stands is Chain Lightning and EQ being linked and it still doing NO Damage. Yesterday in the Darmac fight I was pulling 18k AoE..... lowest DPS in the raid.... it is pretty bad. That is what we should be throwing a fit about. The new Mastery is actually like a Turret if you have enough Mastery.

All that said pretty sure Stat Priority is

Haste
    Multi-Strike
    Mastery
    Shit
    More Shit
    Crit

I'm not clear on the specifics of how it works but leveling as ele I've found the new mastery to be a great change from overload. My understanding is that it does X% of the damage you deal over a 6 second period following the initial damage, so it wouldn't require any less skill than overload since its a % modifier on the damage you deal, hence skill is as irrelevant as it was with overload. I'm not a fan of the animation on it since it just adds clutter, but as far as functionality it's a huge step up from overload because it leads to less overkill allowing for more effective damage, being able to swap to a low health target and let the mastery finish it off is really nice.

Deleted
    Our Mastery is currently behind Versality. Scaling has to go up to atleast 3% (up from 2% spell power per Mastery%). Which wont fix the issue that it has 0 AE use.

Its going to end up like Haste in 5.4. Good on paper, but (old) Mastery will pull ahead due to the nature of fights in SoO. Another "problem" is, that you simply cant fail to deal with the Mastery - there's no skill cap involved in casting a spell every 6 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrun View Post
    My understanding is that it does X% of the damage you deal over a 6 second period following the initial damage, so it wouldn't require any less skill than overload since its a % modifier on the damage you deal
    Nope. The mastery hits for mastery% SP. It is completely unrelated to the damage you deal with your other spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it looks cool, about time for us to use the earth element more. No idea about the technical sides, just purely my opinion on it visually.