Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Professions] DPS prepping for WoD

A Fury Warrior, specifically. I already know I want Enchanting, the cash is just too good to live without. I haven't really been paying attention to profession changes with WoD though. What would be a wise second choice? Traditionally I've always picked Engineering/Mining on my Warriors 'cause it was easy to level and I enjoyed the fun shit that Engineering gets, but I'm sick of being "poor" because I don't farm lots of ore. Are there going to be any new, crazy additions to the professions I should be aware of?

I've never had a Scribe or a Blacksmith, nor an Alchemist, Herbalist, Leatherworker or Skinner. The character boost and boosted professions are a huge incentive for me to maintain some professions though, since it eliminates the one thing I don't enjoy about them, leveling them and attaining obscure materials and spending lots of gold to get the really hard-to-find stuff.

So, I suppose this is less of a prepping thread and more of a "what should I choose?" thread.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

No proffession will give combat benefits in wod, so you dont need to worry about that.

Deleted
    Engineering + Alchemy for epic helm with 2 cogwheels and an imba trinket at the beginning of the expansion ! \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    No proffession will give combat benefits in wod, so you dont need to worry about that.
    No combat benefits? They're getting rid of all the perks and extra enchants, of the glove tinkers and blacksmithing sockets, the crit bonus from SKinning and stamina from Mining etc etc?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Correct all dps gains from professions is gone. Rocket Boosts will be BoE to sell for anyone. The only thing profs have now is stuff like Eng helm/Alch trinket/etc/etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Correct all dps gains from professions is gone. Rocket Boosts will be BoE to sell for anyone. The only thing profs have now is stuff like Eng helm/Alch trinket/etc/etc.
    Rocket boost BoE ? Is there anything about it in patch notes ?!

Yea they said it a while ago. A few times at that as well. Also, those ring enchants that give like 75 versatility will be sellable as well... otherwise it would be a incombat boost.

The Nitro Boosts will(at a reduced speed) be usable by everyone. Currently as an Eng its 70% run speed 1min cd uses your dps potion CD. Probably will be the same cd / potion cd but like 40 or 50% run speed. I haven't messed around enough on beta and tbh the professions aren't really done much on beta. Tailoring cloak enchant still procs and exists which shouldn't.

Don't think he/she was worried about it anyways as they were fury with mining.

It depends on your gamestyle and why you need professions. If you are a raider in a guild and you will raid a lot, then probalbly you don't expect to get gear from professions. So the choice would be to make gold or provide yourself with usefull consumables. In that case Alchemy would be good, pairing with either herbalism or enchanting since the garrison will have a farm that will give you herbs every day.

If you are a casual that play on open world and occasionally doing a dungeon or a LFR, then I would strongly recommend Blacksmith. I still have the 502 ilvl weapon from blacksmith in 3 of my characters and also made some nice high ilvl pants/belt. I suspect that the same will be in WoD, so you can craft some valuable pieces for your character. In that case mining - Blacksmith will be a good choice

Also do not forget that you will get access to 3 more professions via your Garrison small plots. Check wowhead (tools -> Garrison calculator) for more details on available buildings and what they do.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Alchhemy will be a good profession in WoD for everyone... people will want flasks at max level, so i expect people to be using that.

Also you will probably benefit from having your bs/leatherworking/taiiloring aswell, since that will give you some possibly better than heroic dungeon gear, to help you off in your gearing at max level.

Deleted
    all professions will be useless in wod.. (really retarded)

Mining/blacksmithing combo for me gets me hundreds of thousands of gold the first week of every expansion easy. They want the best gear they can immediately, most players have the gold to dish out on the crazy prices without a thought.

Deleted
    This is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Yppah View Post
    This is correct
    Still going to have alch stones and engineering goggles. The rest afaik can be bought with gold or received from an alt with the prof. Alch stones are looking very strong as a pre-raid item, especially since health pots don't share cd with dps pots anymore meaning the secondary effect is actually useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering for goggles or Alchemy for longer flasks (if it stays since it's not really a combat perk) and Trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    Engineering for goggles or Alchemy for longer flasks (if it stays since it's not really a combat perk) and Trinket.
    Mixology (longer flasks for Alchemist) was the combat perk for Alchemy so that's being removed. Trinket for Alchemist still provides a 40% buff to either mana or HP potions when used.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Mixology (longer flasks for Alchemist) was the combat perk for Alchemy so that's being removed. Trinket for Alchemist still provides a 40% buff to either mana or HP potions when used.
    Well the "combat perk" of Mixology was the extra stat value (320/480).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    Well the "combat perk" of Mixology was the extra stat value (320/480).
    Mixology's tooltip says both extra duration and value so I'm assuming that both are part of the "combat perk". Only removing the extra stat value but keeping the duration (double duration) would still be of value to min/max raiders to qualify alchemy as a must have profession (less flasks needed during raids = less time grinding mats = more time spent on progression).
    ---
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Mixology's tooltip says both extra duration and value so I'm assuming that both are part of the "combat perk". Only removing the extra stat value but keeping the duration (double duration) would still be of value to min/max raiders to qualify alchemy as a must have profession (less flasks needed during raids = less time grinding mats = more time spent on progression).
    Except increased duration on flasks/elixirs quite clearly isn't a combat perk, it's a benefit to cost. It could very easily be changed if they felt it fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Except increased duration on flasks/elixirs quite clearly isn't a combat perk, it's a benefit to cost. It could very easily be changed if they felt it fair.
    Perhaps, but I think Blizzard is probably going to take the easier way out and simply just remove mixology altogether. Additionally, I think min/maxers would see that "benefit to cost" as a minor advantage worth switching over. Similar to how Engineering would have been the DPS profession to switch to because of the "utility" it could offer in a raid. Then Blizzard changed that by simply giving engineers recipes to make non-engineer required gadgets and tinkers (e.g. Quickcharge Jumper Cables, GUMM-E, Goblin Glider Kit, etc.) in WoD.

So basically back to the OP, there are no "better" professions to use. Have fun picking which ever profession you like best.
    ---