Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Makes me wonder. Timeless Isle is a cool place, yeah, but what a pain in the ass is the whole climb to the bridges and to Ordon Sanctuary. Not only is it long, but the amount of lolchargers on the way make it quite annoying.

You can say - hey, it's working as intended. Players have to fight their way up instead of just hopping on a flying mount and getting to their destination. Makes sense - but hey, what about pretty much 90% of the playerbase who just ride past all those enemies, ignoring as many as possible? They are not fighting anything but inconvenience. Myself, I use a - hear hear - flying mount outside of Timeless Isle, fly into the isle and use a glider from there, since it's faster and, well, cooler. And yet, the island still works.

So, how does flying break all that?
    This is the logic that so many anti flying players like to ignore. Even before Flying was ever added, people still did things as quick as possible, the only difference was the "FUCK!" you shouted on the occasional dismount, which again isn't challenging or immersing at all. It's just annoying if you're trying to rush, which many MANY players do. Give us flight, we're going to use it to get from A to B. Take flight away and shockingly our mentality remains unchanged, it just takes longer.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There's no half-measures, if you want to make gameplay on the ground then flying mounts are out full stop.
    What are you on about? Gameplay has always been on the ground regardless of the implementation of flying mounts at level cap. Also if you believe flying cheapens quests or content such as kill 25 orcs and their leader, then I feel sorry for you. I mean it's not like we've done it 5 or 6 times already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    This made me lulz. It's like comparing Dungeons and Dragons 4E to 1-3.5E. You just can't. 4E was good for beginners and added some flavor, but it took away from the soul of the game.

I am all for grounding people. I love my flying mounts, but we're trying NOT to be noticed right away by the warlords while we build our mini-armies (Garrisons).
    That's kind of a moot point when the expansion starts with us storming the Dark Portal, freeing fugitives of the Iron Horde, getting seen by each of the Warlords respectively and then blowing up our point of access before escaping on boats belonging to the Iron Horde with the people that they had held captive around the portal. Very smooth, such stealth. Never mind the fact that before level cap we go on to decimate a large amount of the active Warlords and leaving around three to four alive before assaulting their bases.

Yes it was the best way of doing flying by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    For about two days.
    How many times do you need to travel through a zone from the ground without appreciating every aspect of it you would ever appreciate in the first place? First character in MOP I leveled, I looked around at everything, enjoyed the scenery, and that didn't change once I had flying. I actually didn't change my perspective on the world after being able to fly, to me it was just faster and more convenient.

Then whenever you level an alt... Becomes tedious to endure not being able to fly and a great sense of relief once you hit level cap and can actually fly again because walking everywhere sucks ass.

I enjoyed going through MOP the first time on foot. All subsequent times didn't make me appreciate the scenery anymore, it made me irritated I couldn't fly sooner. It's why limiting flight until level cap, then opening it up to all your characters is the best model. You aren't going to appreciate the looks of a given area more by being forced to walk through it dozens of times.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Another flying thread. Yay. Adding flying in the first place was a mistake. Blizzard knows this, other MMO devs know this (which is why flying isn't in many other MMOs). Let's first see how the game feels when designed with ground mounts in mind before begging about being able to hit autorun and go afk from place to place.
    Well, adding flying is the best mistake they ever made. I love it. It enhances my immersion and exploring. I've also mounted up and flown straight up when I need to AFK immediately, instead of scrambling around for a safe spot or logging out. Flight paths...I just afk anyway.

No flying = the perfect model for flying.

I do not believe that the convenience of flying has outweighed the long-term negative effects it has had on the game. That is my own personal opinion of course, and I fully respect those who disagree.

If I get my hands on WoD, play around at max level for a few weeks/months and decide that I miss flying, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. But for the time being, I'm very much looking forward to being limited to ground mounts and flight paths-only, for awhile.

Deleted
    nostalgia mode on: wrath was so good, that even if they completely copied it today, it would still seem like something new. I dont think we ll ever get another Ulduar another ICC or another epic storyline like that.

ITT OP very actively campaigning for an idea that many have had and suggested before him. All well and good but nothing new.

As I've said several times I liked the way we did it in MOP and WOD is fairly similar to this, except that it will be for the first patch and possibly for the entire expansion. While yeah it's cool to fly I have no beefs about not being allowed to either, it does provide greater immersion. Remains to be seen if the rest of the content will build up under this (I believe it will) but all for it myself.

The difference is that it's intended that even at max level you shouldn't be flying in Draenor, this formular will work if they decide to put it in at a later patch, but not on launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    They should introduce permits for the legal use of the word perfect. And never. And always. Or better yet throw them into the fires of Mordor.

On-topic: I kind of dig what MoP did, make us see everything up close before taking off to the air.
    A flying tome for alts would've been great, though, because MoP levelling is some of the most tedious I've ever done(started just before WotLK), especially on alts.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Makes me wonder. Timeless Isle is a cool place, yeah, but what a pain in the ass is the whole climb to the bridges and to Ordon Sanctuary. Not only is it long, but the amount of lolchargers on the way make it quite annoying.

You can say - hey, it's working as intended. Players have to fight their way up instead of just hopping on a flying mount and getting to their destination. Makes sense - but hey, what about pretty much 90% of the playerbase who just ride past all those enemies, ignoring as many as possible? They are not fighting anything but inconvenience. Myself, I use a - hear hear - flying mount outside of Timeless Isle, fly into the isle and use a glider from there, since it's faster and, well, cooler. And yet, the island still works.

So, how does flying break all that?
    Yup, when heading for Ordos people try to avoid things.
    They actually have to consider things around them. Are those Berserkers going to aggro me? Are those players going to attack me? The world suddenly matters when you aren't allowed near guaranteed safety, blazing speed and a straight line of travel.

And the kite requires height so... yeah...

I doubt I'll ever agree with the idea that if someone thinks something is "trivial", it should be skipped. Hardly how MMOs work. Problem as I see it is that leveling has become so easy that nothing challenges you. And that's when mobs dazing you, players killing the same mobs as you (that pose no threat, so why would you group up?), and being unable to just fly over everything to your destination becomes annoying. Then they are just "slowing you down", which seems to be a popular argument in the flight-debate.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2014-08-17 at 10:14 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

7+ Year Old Account
    remove "daze" when hit by a mob and I'm 100% fine w/o flying mounts at all.

If you think about it, some level/environment designers and artists work on huge part of the game and then no one gives a fudge about it because everyone is flying.

There is too many flying mounts in the game for them to cut it out in the expansion. Might be a patch or 2 but the "no flight ever" fanboys and girls will be disappointed. People have spent too much gold to train riding and too much time farming mounts.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

I think vanilla had the best flying model.

Nothing about wrath was perfect, let alone flying.

Deleted
    No, Vanilla WoW had the perfect flying model.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    No, Vanilla WoW had the perfect flying model.
    I agree but just getting rid of flight isn't an option. I wish it were but too many people would just freak out. Flight is out of the bag, they can't put it back and that's a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    I agree but just getting rid of flight isn't an option. I wish it were but too many people would just freak out. Flight is out of the bag, they can't put it back and that's a shame.
    Actually they could do it.. just slowly. Don't allow flying in New Outlands .. people get used to it. Then no flying in the next expansion. It could stay in the "old world" and make leveling easier though.

Cata model is perfect, but WotLK 3.3 model is at least acceptable for me.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland