Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was disconnected on Draenor EU last night, and unable to log in for a short while stuck on "retrieving character list" but it didn't last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Ahh how things have changed a bit, people rent bot net's I think $200 gets you 10k bot agents per day if I recall, regardless they waste money and VPN'ing in to control them is nothing. They will be caught as they can be traced back through those bot's, regardless they aren't very smart calling in a bomb threat and hitting all these big companies and what they're doing requires little knowledge of hacking in my book. If they built the botnet(s) up themselves then a little more props to them but that isn't exactly hard.

As someone else mentioned I've been watching me some criminal minds tonight while playing some PoE.
    Cept they ain't using bonets. No way in hell they're getting the bandwidth needed to bring twitch, battlenet, lol to their knees with botnets. They're hacking facilities holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    They should have done their week long ddos attacks on WoD launch date; the community response would have been hilarious.
    Kind of unnecessary, on release date the community DDoSes itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Most of them are a hell of a lot smarter than any of us. They just use their brain for the wrong reasons.
    Script kiddies doing a bunch of DDoS and making a bomb threat? That ain't rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Stop using the words "Script kiddies" like you even have a clue of what that means. These guys are freely taking shit offline at will. And being pretty bold about doing it. They may be assholes, but they know what they're doing.
    They know what they're doing, sure. It just so happens, "what they're doing" happens to be ridiculously simple and something anyone with Google and 20 minutes and the desire to be a fucking idiot could accomplish in the same amount of time. Garts for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope these guys like the inside of a prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    That isn't either of them. If that were the case neither of them would be posting right now. They're trolling someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop using the words "Script kiddies" like you even have a clue of what that means. These guys are freely taking shit offline at will. And being pretty bold about doing it. They may be assholes, but they know what they're doing.
    They're fucking script kiddies. What they are doing take a credit card, google and a 30 minutes of your time. It seems you don't understand what they are doing if you think they aren't. It's the digital equivalent of clogging a toilet.
    Such leet hack0zs guise.

Never understood what people get out of this sort of thing ...

Seems like a really sad and pathetic thing to do. It hardly showcases any skill at all, even a child could run a successful DDoS attack if they were given the right tools.

So apparently this is the Lizardsquad dude just brazenly streaming on twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/kire667/profile

At least he had access to their twitter account which just got banned. A min a go someone, who I assume is his mum, walked in with a tea tray of snacks for him lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    So apparently this is the Lizardsquad dude just brazenly streaming on twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/kire667/profile

At least he had access to their twitter account which just got banned. A min a go someone, who I assume is his mum, walked in with a tea tray of snacks for him lol
    "I've been tracking their success for the past few days" - Quote from the description of a random highlight I clicked. It's just a fanboy that is playing Runescape and watching their twitter, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    "I've been tracking their success for the past few days" - Quote from the description of a random highlight I clicked. It's just a fanboy that is playing Runescape and watching their twitter, nothing more.
    Oh my bad I thought he was logged in on on their twitter sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Wowforlife79 View Post
    I believe people are outraged because we are paying for a service that is being disrupted? I don't blame blizzard but a little outrage at the ddosers is still warranted yes?
    If it gets bad blizzard will compensate for the downtime, so I wouldn't worry about that.

They gave out replacement time in 2007 and once during WOTLK I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Oh, so sorry you can play for 30 minutes less today.. boohoo...

let's make a quick calculation ok? Let's assume you can play for 1 hour a day, for 5 days a week. That is 52x5 hours. 260 hours. Of those 260 hours, 159.5 remains. Is it that bad you have to rage and have a giant nerd meltdown like 90% of the people here (See Eleshar directly below you)?

If so, your priorities are just bad..
    You act as if "Nerd Raging" is some new practice solely used by gamers. Ever hear of road rage? They perfected nerd raging long before gamers started having melt downs. The difference? People losing their shit in a forums? No big deal compared to the victims of road rage, that may or may not have died. So if you want to go around preaching how people are pathetic or have screwed priorities because they are freaking out over losing a little game time, maybe you should get your priorities straight instead.

Yeah, people are losing it over a game. Gamers tend to do that, it's been happening for as long as I can remember even back in the 80's. Console gamers breaking their controllers because they freaked out. Some of them going as far as to throw said controller through a TV screen. They now have forums to rage in rather than break shit, and if venting in a forums with like minded people helps them at all, then good lord let them rage to their hearts content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

LizardSquad's Twitter just got banned, so hopefully without a mouthpiece to brag to the world the guy will just...lose interest.

On the plus side, this whole ordeal has been a great excuse for Blizzard to improve it's infrastructure to prep for the xpac.

Deleted
    Only just got banned? Would have thought that would have happened a lot sooner, specially once they decided to start throwing bomb threats into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Some people feel the need to take action when they see a company they used to love descending and becoming something they hate instead.

But im not blaming blizzard for being DDOS'ed, lol. There are alot of people out there who will DDOS just for the sake of it, or for attention.

PSN's DDOS was honorable, they where pointing out PSN's flaws.

I believe you could call that White Hat hacking. And sometimes even white hat hacking has "Casualty's" or rather, people who are angered by it.
    Oh for the love of...

This is 'BLACK' Hat stuff. White hats are 'ethical hackers'- they are hired and given written permission when they attack. If they find flaws on their own, they don't exploit them, they release knowledge of the flaws privately. There is nothing 'white hat' about any of htis. Period.

Second of all, they aren't pointing out any flaws. This is a DDoS attack, and there is very little that can be done to prevent such attacks. When all is said and done, whether a DDoS is successful or not comes down to how much bandwidth you can withstand.

I've seen Lizard Squad and Fame's tweets laughing off that you can't do much to mitigate DDoS attacks and they mention redundancy. Do you know how that's accomplished in this case?

A 'hot site'- a backup datacentre that's kept up to date, with its own employees maintaining it. An exact duplicate that's ready to be switched over the moment some geographical disaster hits the current datacentre. This way, there's more targets that a DDoS has to hit to take down services- if you have one site, and then have a hotsite the DDoS attack needs to split its bandwidth. If the DDoS attack is large enough for both, then you need a third. Again, it comes down to nothing but available bandwidth in the end.

To use a real world example, it's like the 'Occupy Wall Street' protest a while back where people camped out in city parks, except instead of protesting the 1% the Occupy movement was protesting that the city had a flaw: Not enough city parks. If your city had built twice (or more) as many parks than they did because with enough parks, the Occupation movement wouldn't have enough people to occupy all the parks.

What a flaw on Sony's behalf!

Microsoft weathered this better because:

a) They have the redundancy because they run more services than just Xbox Live. They run Windows updates, Windows App store, Windows' knowledge base, Technet, Skype, and God only knows what else
    b) The DDoS attack against Microsoft wasn't big enough to take down all those services. Microsoft likely runs load balancing between their services and sites. In other words, if the DDoS attacks XBox Live at a site in Florida, customers using the services being run out of Florida (Xbox, Windows live, App Store, Technet etc.) merely use the site in San Jose, or the one in Silicon Valley, or Michigan or...

I've seen people mentioning the breach of Sony in 2011. This isn't the same at all- they haven't gotten in, let alone retrieved customer's confidential data.

Sony has paid Amazon to help maintain and keep them secure. Amazon is one of the only companies to have a near perfect record against these sort of things.

Then again, Amazon is all about their online websites, and they have a lot more traffic daily than PSN ever will. The simple fact of the matter is that some script kiddies (and yes, I'm using that term intentionally) threw significantly more traffic at Sony and Blizzard than they can be reasonably expected to take...and then some. (Fame or whatever claimed he threw 260-some Gb/s of traffic at the PSN).

If you check their twitter feed, it's full of kids taking selfies with crap written on their foreheads as an act of submission. This isn't some masterminded attempt to show how 'greedy' companies are.

This is a crud, basic (although large) attack at game companies because the fans of said companies will show the perpetrators attention. You bring down a government website you get a mention in the newspaper. You bring down a gaming service and you get all the gaming journals sending teenagers to your twitter feed to beg you for mercy.

It's a god damned power trip by a bunch of adults acting as if they're 12 year old bullies in a playground.

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    LizardSquad's Twitter just got banned, so hopefully without a mouthpiece to brag to the world the guy will just...lose interest.

On the plus side, this whole ordeal has been a great excuse for Blizzard to improve it's infrastructure to prep for the xpac.
    Their Twitter is not banned, its still live and updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Cept they ain't using bonets. No way in hell they're getting the bandwidth needed to bring twitch, battlenet, lol to their knees with botnets. They're hacking facilities holmes.
    Of course it's a botnet. Fibre connections have been available for a long time now that offer over 100Mb/s connections to residential areas. Drones are estimated to be in the tens of millions today.

It's a botnet that's targeting the authentication services. A standard DoS attack is to request to log in:

"Hello Battle.net! I would like to log in please!"
    "Hello client! Can I have your username and password please?"
    "..."
    "Are you still there? If you don't reply in 2 seconds I'll have to close this connection"
    "..."

And while Battle.net is waiting, the client opens another one. And another one. And another one.

The client doesn't need a large amount of bandwidth because it's only opening one session at a time. Battle.net does because the client can open connections faster than the Battle.net can close them.

And that's just one drone.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    Their Twitter is not banned, its still live and updating.
    It was suspended and got reopened after a few hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    They're fucking script kiddies. What they are doing take a credit card, google and a 30 minutes of your time. It seems you don't understand what they are doing if you think they aren't. It's the digital equivalent of clogging a toilet.
    Such leet hack0zs guise.
    Except it's not. You want to think that all they are doing is "clogging a toilet". You're describing a googled version of a ddos. You aren't understanding that these guys are taking down massive networks. This isn't ddos'ing an arena team. They aren't going to have nearly the bandwidth needed with botnets to take these networks down. They are hacking T1 facilities servers and backend routers. Do you realize shitty your average home upload is around 6mps lol (which is the attack).

When LulzSec did the same thing in the past when they hacked OVHs routers and started doing what Liz squad was doing with games like Minecraft and Eve online, they were putting out roughly 20 to 30GBPS per router. Do you see the difference?

But you need so badly to throw out "Script kiddie" and to google "What is a ddos attack". I don't like having my favorite games unavailable to play either. But I'm not deducing everything I don't like to something I know nothing about. But you are. You'll just ignore everything that you don't understand and go "Nu-uh screwpt kewdies"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    Of course it's a botnet. Fibre connections have been available for a long time now that offer over 100Mb/s connections to residential areas. Drones are estimated to be in the tens of millions today.

It's a botnet that's targeting the authentication services. A standard DoS attack is to request to log in:

"Hello Battle.net! I would like to log in please!"
    "Hello client! Can I have your username and password please?"
    "..."
    "Are you still there? If you don't reply in 2 seconds I'll have to close this connection"
    "..."

And while Battle.net is waiting, the client opens another one. And another one. And another one.

The client doesn't need a large amount of bandwidth because it's only opening one session at a time. Battle.net does because the client can open connections faster than the Battle.net can close them.

And that's just one drone.
    100mps? Download MAYBE. Upload? No. And we're talking average. Not what is available. You average high end residential upload speed is going to be around 6-10 mps
    Last edited by Seezer; 2014-08-28 at 08:44 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Such leet hack0zs guise.
    Well it kind of funny that a mighty company such as Blizzard is so easy to shutdown like clogging the toilet.

Taking internet's abusive anonymous nature into consideration, If this was so easy to pull of then we would see blizzard getting shutdown by angsty teenagers much more often then we do see today. The scarity of such events leads me to believe that perhaps it takes a tiny bit more than just few script kiddie google searches to shutdown multi-million website services.
    Last edited by mmocac96309fe0; 2014-08-28 at 08:56 AM.