Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    and the last paranormal activity think it's number 5? wasn't too shabby.
    Good god are they up to 5 now?

The first one was excellent, but unfortunately it's one of those horror movies that gets a million crappy sequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Grudge original japanese version. That shit made me sleep with the damn TV on as a teenager. The fucking sounds.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try The Banshee Chronicles, it's a low budget movie that's pretty solid. It was suprisingly good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Shutter is kind of like grudge if you haven't seen it , not sure if anyone else would like it but i enjoyed it (probably because i'm scared of everything)

also not just specificity ghosts but vhs 2 has a ghost story in it.

There's a VHS 2? I gotta have a look at that! The first one was really, really, REALLY scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    /signed for The Others

Was about to post a question: Is this thread about ghost movies or other scary / horror movies ? Half the movies posted have nothing to do with ghosts.

Edit: see post above for example
    Edit²: title says "ghost horror", while The Others is really good on the "ghost" side, I wouldn't call it "horror"
    /signed for The Others as well. Simply amazing premise that creates an unbelievably creepy and claustrophobic atmosphere. One of the creepiest moments occurs about halfway through, simply looking through old photographs featuring an actual practice from history that utterly makes your skin crawl. Very well done and awesome twist at the end.

Another one I enjoyed which didn't get very good critical reviews however was What Lies Beneath. Lots of "startle the fuck" out of you moments. And an interesting almost Hitchcock style mystery that unravels.

Neither of these are really in the horror genre. More like mystery/suspense, but truly frightening nonetheless. Fun to watch.

Lake Mungo. don't spoil anything for yourself. just watch it. it's smart, it's eerie, its mysterious...it's one of the few horror movies that will keep you thinking long after you watch it.

Jesus H Christ in a handbag, does nobody watch classic horror movies? I've seen ONE recommendation for The Changeling and Poltergeist, NONE for The Haunting(the original, not the remake), but average to crappy movies like Ghost Ship and Mirrors get multiple recommendations? Damn.

The Others is a good "modern" ghost movie, as are Session 9 and The Devil's Backbone(Guillermo del Toro, that should be a reason to watch right there). There's a lot of fairly creepy Asian ghost movies too. Ju-On(The Grudge), Ringu, Kairo(Pulse), Kwaidan if you wanna go further back...

The Conjuring, Insidious 1 & 2, Annabelle and Deliver Us From Evil to name a few.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Good god are they up to 5 now?

The first one was excellent, but unfortunately it's one of those horror movies that gets a million crappy sequels.
    Excellent ? Not sure we saw the same movie then Oo. If the sequels are worse than this I'm glad I never watched those.
    Oh, hi.

Deleted
    Four pages and nobody mentioned Shining yet ?

Tss tss...

As for a more recent (and unknown) ghost movie, I liked a lot The Innkeepers (2011) : it's quite slow and there's almost no blood but the actors are excellent and the shivering is guaranteed !

Last edited by mmoc130c3465fa; 2014-10-05 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Excellent ? Not sure we saw the same movie then Oo. If the sequels are worse than this I'm glad I never watched those.
    See I'm actually in the same boat as Mormolyce. I adamantly defend this movie whenever necessary which unfortunately on the topic of horror is pretty often. I find that 9 times out of 10, the people who didn't enjoy it really didn't psych themselves up enough for it. If you went into this movie all stoic or even with any intention but to get INTO the movie and get scared, then you probably aren't going to leave with a good review.

For me personally, I don't watch horror at the theater. I put it on the computer, full screen, volume cranked, headphones on, middle of the night with everything as pitch black as absolutely possible. Why? Because it's immersion. It's setting yourself up to be scared. Instead of sitting back and demanding that the film entertain you, you're setting the stage to BE entertained. I did this with Paranormal Activity and it thoroughly delivered, even with me having seen hundreds of horrors before.

Anyway, I noticed someone mentioned the Changeling. Awesome classic ghost movie. I grew up on it. Anyone who hasn't seen it, remedy this.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    See I'm actually in the same boat as Mormolyce. I adamantly defend this movie whenever necessary which unfortunately on the topic of horror is pretty often. I find that 9 times out of 10, the people who didn't enjoy it really didn't psych themselves up enough for it. If you went into this movie all stoic or even with any intention but to get INTO the movie and get scared, then you probably aren't going to leave with a good review.

For me personally, I don't watch horror at the theater. I put it on the computer, full screen, volume cranked, headphones on, middle of the night with everything as pitch black as absolutely possible. Why? Because it's immersion. It's setting yourself up to be scared. Instead of sitting back and demanding that the film entertain you, you're setting the stage to BE entertained. I did this with Paranormal Activity and it thoroughly delivered, even with me having seen hundreds of horrors before.

Anyway, I noticed someone mentioned the Changeling. Awesome classic ghost movie. I grew up on it. Anyone who hasn't seen it, remedy this.
    It was me who mentioned The Changeling. And I rarely watch horror movies in the theater, too. But...I gotta disagree on Paranormal Activity. A good, truly scary horror movie does not need you to go to all that extra effort to be scary, you shouldn't NEED to "psych yourself up for it" to be scared, that's a sign of poor filmmaking. It's also inherently flawed-by psyching yourself up for it, you're REDUCING the chance of being scared because you're expecting it, as well as setting up possibly unrealistic expectations. In other words, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Your method may work for you, but I 100% guarantee it would have the OPPOSITE effect on the majority of people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    Nice idea. Watching Paranormal Activity like this must make you fall asleep quite quickly. I'll try to remember this next time I'm having trouble sleeping.
    Oh, hi.

Remember the move "The Haunting" back in 1999 starring Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson and Lili Taylor. It was a true to life story and gave me a good scare too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghost Dad. You can't go wrong with it.
    (warning: this is not serious. Do not see this movie. Never see this movie. You will lose all hope for sanity).

The best recommendation I can give is the 1963 The Haunting. Blew the remake out of the water in pretty much every arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The best recommendation I can give is the 1963 The Haunting. Blew the remake out of the water in pretty much every arena.
    Oh yeah, definitely.