Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up in the American south and I can personally attest that this isn't exactly common, certainly not as much as people are trying to paint it as being in this thread.

I lived most of the other half of my life in Latin America where homophobia runs much more rampant and is very widely accepted with Matthew Shepherd type situations going down at least once or twice a month, but hear very little outrage about it around here...but oh if it's some lower-class southerner, then it's perfectly acceptable to start spewing out all the stereotypes and slurs you can't socially get away with if were any other demographic group.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2014-08-28 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing about being gay vs being a pedophile.

Being gay and being a pedophile are both acceptable.

Acting on being gay is acceptable, acting on being a pedophile, is not. The reason for this is, two gay adult people can consent. A pedo and a child however cannot, because the child is not developed enough to be able to give consent. But a gay couple? Who gets hurt? No one. Who's business is their sex lives? Their own. I don't give two flying fucks what a couple does under the sheets, whether straight or gay. All I care about is consent. Are they consenting? Yes, okay, fine. There are no objective reasons, outside of religion, that I can even think of, for it to be wrong. And I reject the religious reasons as well. It's two consenting adults who love each other, what is so wrong with that?

A pedophile who resists his (or her) urge to molest children is not an evil person. Maybe he needs help, but being a pedo is not wrong. Acting on it is, and for objective reasons. The reason is consent, children are not mentally developed enough to truly comprehend sexuality or consent, and such things can actually be harmful for them mentally, emotionally and physically.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    They asked specific questions in the one I looked at - relating to origin of humans and age of the universe (i.e. facts). Also - you don't need anywhere near 100,000 people to get a statistically valid sample. Nearer 2000 gives you close to 100% veracity.
    Heh. Depending on different theories of "before the big bang" such as certain oscillation models, the universe might be a whole lot OLDER than most people hold to as fact. Just saying this to point out that you're facts have some rational scientific arguments against them, not just faith based ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Heh. Depending on different theories of "before the big bang"
    They avoided questions that were not yet factual (even if slightly in doubt) ... or things that were not rigorously answerable. Post corrected for my error (not theirs).

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like the average day in my house, except the reason for the attack of parents normally was something like "you didn't clean the oven well enough".
    And that's why I'm no longer there

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Ok I'll bite for you here.
    There is no difference actually. Both things are situations a person is born into, and both things are not something you can erase from a person. But it's low hanging fruit to toss prejudicial bullshit about them at folks so it's just easier not to get into the literal parts about it, cause people just can't cope.
    Okay, so why do pedos are getting death rows and gay people are not/or praised by some? If a person is born with this "taste" then why do we tolerate one but not other?

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-08-28 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yattz View Post
    Ha, nice one!

And lol to the people bashing religion yet complaining abt ppl being 'closed minded' hahaha and 2 mor hahas
    The fact you said nice one about that statement shows how clueless you are. It may be a choice for the paedo but it is not a choice for the child, they arent even in the same ballpark.

As to bashing religion and close mindedness, religion is again completely different from bashing a person for being religious, people like you always confuse the two.

Mom says she knows that he's been gay since he was a tiny little boy, then says that he made a choice...yup...good stuff there.

Then they jump on him, get physical, swear a whole bunch, then call their own child a piece of shit, all this because he's gay.

Another child/teen on the street because of ignorance and incredible stupidity, sad, but I'm sure this happens every day.

If I was in that position, and that happened to me, I'd have called the cops on them for assault, then I'd leave and hopefully be able to stay with a friend and never come back or talk to them ever again.

Intolerance should be hanged until it almost dies, tortured with isolation and starvation, then drowned and resuscitated, burned alive and then get its skin peeled off while getting electrocuted slowly to death. *my feeling*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryusei View Post
    Okay, so why do pedos are getting death rows and gay people are not/or praised by some? If a person is born with this "taste" then why do we tolerate one but not other?
    Being a Paedo is not illegal, acting on being a paedo is because it is not the childs choice, how the fuck are people so dense. Why am I in the off topic, a good mod always said if you want to avoid infraction avoid off topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    They avoided questions that were not yet factual (even if slightly in doubt) ... or things that were not rigorously answerable. Post corrected for my error (not theirs).
    Not that it is relevant to my position (or at least it shouldn't be) I am not religious but grew up in a religious family. I am a skeptical agnostic. My father is a Christian who is one of the most scientifically literate people I know (engineer for 30+ years). I guess that's why this is hitting a little close to home. I often hear about how religious people are irrational, but everyone can be irrational at some point in their lives regardless of their ontological stances.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Intolerance should be hanged until it almost dies, tortured with isolation and starvation, then drowned and resuscitated, burned alive and then get its skin peeled off while getting electrocuted slowly to death. *my feeling*
    So you are being intolerant with intolerance? Well, you just dug your own grave there buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    But you're aware that the USA has one of the highest populations of immigrants, right?
    I didn't want to enter into country bashing, nor country worshipping ... I just made the factual observation relevant to the OP relating to how people can ignore reason and choose to devolve personal choice in favour of a <something> fictional.

To me that is the most disturbing part of this - it holds parallels to the old testament with orders from upon high asking parents to kill or expel their sons and daughters.

The fact that almost half of the USA values this <something> above reason and logic is disturbing in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that it is relevant to my position (or at least it shouldn't be) I am not religious but grew up in a religious family. I am a skeptical agnostic. My father is a Christian who is one of the most scientifically literate people I know (engineer for 30+ years). I guess that's why this is hitting a little close to home. I often hear about how religious people are irrational, but everyone can be irrational at some point in their lives regardless of their ontological stances.
    The former archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams is a really enlightened and intelligent man, and every time I hear him talk I wonder how he can justify half the stories and fables of the bible with how he actually views the world. Then I found out he just twists the bible to how he wants it to read for him, which is kind of like religion in a nutshell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    So you are being intolerant with intolerance? Well, you just dug your own grave there buddy
    Yes the whole Tolerance parodox, do I tolerate intolerance to be tolerant or do I become intolerant by not tolerating intolerance. Personally i go with the latter.

While an intolerant sect does not itself have title to complain of intolerance, its freedom should be restricted only when the tolerant sincerely and with reason believe that their own security and that of the institutions of liberty are in danger
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-08-28 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you're aware that the USA has one of the highest populations of immigrants, right? The diversity of people that live here don't suddenly become religion retards because they're in the US.
    Actually immigration is accounting for huge increases in church attendance (not that I equate attending church with being a "religious retard"...I wouldn't even use a term like that). I know small towns all over America where there are one or two churches that are half full every Sunday and then have a single Catholic Church that's packed to the gills courtesy of all the new arrivals. They also bring a very conservative social agenda with them, as evidenced by Prop 8 voting results in Orange County. Towns that are otherwise solidly Democratic voted sternly in favor of Prop 8.

http://projects.latimes.com/election...sults-by-city/

Note Santa Ana and Anaheim especially.

Ironically, the richer and more affluent cities of Laguna Beach, Irvine, and Silverado Canyon voted against Prop 8. I think it's about time we gave the stereotype of the "rich, white suburban bigot" a makeover because it's becoming less and less relevant, and has been for a very long time.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2014-08-28 at 07:30 AM.

I guess that's why this is hitting a little close to home. I often hear about how religious people are irrational, but everyone can be irrational at some point in their lives regardless of their ontological stances.
    Irrational is different ... this woman is being ENTIRELY rational, but based on a false premise. That's the problem I have, fortunately it is not a problem shared by all persons of faith. However, 46% of people in the USA RATIONALLY believe the Earth is 6000 years old, and we sprung into being 6000 years ago.

The idea that a mother can rationally do something like this to her son scares me far more than if she did it out of personal issues.

Personal example - due to a trauma that occurred to me when I was younger, and other mental disorders - I cannot cope with transgender persons.

Now - this is a fault in me, not in them. However - for me to call upon a higher being and call this a rational decision and place the blame with them - that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Man, fuck that family.

"You chose it."

Really? Is it still 1985? People still believe this shit?

Poor kid. Then again, he had to know they'd react badly. That's why he recorded it. I'm all for being true to yourself. But in this case, he probably would have been better off closeting himself until he moved out.
    The sad thing is that people will believe they were born that way and then call it an "illness" or a "disease" akin to alcoholism. Something that can be "treated".

And I've actually had people tell me they believe in god. But they don't believe in a "gay gene" because they've never seen it. I find the irony in that thought process to be amazing.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing the family said is in the Bible. I'm sure someone in their family has committed adultery or slept with a prostitute, which, according to the Bible, is pretty much akin to homosexual sex, should've beaten that person up too. People should educate themselves on the stances that they're so convicted of. The son should also probably read some more "science" too..actually the entire family should've taken 30 minutes to read up before they argued, would've gone over better. Perhaps it's too much of an assumption that they can read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Irrational is different ... this woman is being ENTIRELY rational, but based on a false premise. That's the problem I have, fortunately it is not a problem shared by all persons of faith. However, 46% of people in the USA RATIONALLY believe the Earth is 6000 years old, and we sprung into being 6000 years ago.

The idea that a mother can rationally do something like this to her son scares me far more than if she did it out of personal issues.

Personal example - due to a trauma that occurred to me when I was younger, and other mental disorders - I cannot cope with transgender persons.

Now - this is a fault in me, not in them. However - for me to call upon a higher being and call this a rational decision and place the blame with them - that is wrong.
    Interesting premise. When you put it that way it comes off a little differently. I'm not entirely positive I see the world this way, but it's much easier to see where you are coming from now

Ima end my comments about it now.
    I suspect the entire discussion is doomed, because that <unallowed issue> is the core of the problem of the OP's video.

Without discussing that - all we can do is go 'gratz mum' and move on.