Thread: Is Rift dead?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Funcom are truly amazing. TSW is one of the best MMORPGs I've ever played.
    I tried Rift a few months ago around the time of the nightmare tide and I thought it was a great game but after a few weeks I realized that it was just too similar to WoW, the game I was trying to escape from, and I couldn't get myself to get invested in the world at all.

I'll say one thing about Rift though. The talent trees were so much fun! I probably spent more time trying to find interesting builds than anything else in that game
    raiding wise rift is far from similar to wow. How dps specs are played(theres no such a thing as pooling energy in rift), healing meta(too long to explain), tanks(no aoe taunt in wow), raid dps cd management(theres none in wow outside BL while in rift theres several of them), buff debuff managment, support role.the several specs you have to handle in rift compare to the 1 or 2 in wow not to mention that rotations/priority lists are a lot simplier in wow.

Rift mechanics are handle by 3-4 players(thats why most guild sucked balls on zilas) while in wow are handle by the whole raid, raid composition is a lot simplier in wow.Last but not least, power gap in wow is HUGE, gear is absolutely everything 1 boss is hard this week and completely trivial the next with 3 items more while in rift power gap between tiers is 10% at best meaning in wow gear can carry potatoes all the way to china while in rift they wipe for 4 months in the same boss cause gear cant carry potatoes.

Outside of raiding, like every single mmo in the market,its the same shit, farm this farm that, dailies, weeklys, crafting etc etc

Thats coming from a member of the guild that shall not be named that moved from rift to wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree that Rift is P2W (yet), but what it is Pay to Play and they are now dishonest in their marketing and presentation of the game.

For example, it now appears the additional Planar Levels are behind a Paywall or (another) excessively unappealing grind.
    The Time vs Money argument wears a bit thin if the grind is deliberately excessive and drives the customer to the cash shop for "reasonable" people.

They should just own up to it and clear up the confusion.

Where games like GW2 have you buy the expansion to play the later content, Trion puts their paywall behind micro-transactions.
    Granted, more of the game is available, but not on a competitive level.

This is fine. They need to make money, but they seriously need to drop the "no tricks, no traps" because it is simply not true.

Changing your business model three times since a game's launch seriously destroys credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    For example, it now appears the additional Planar Levels are behind a Paywall or (another) excessively unappealing grind.
    Wait, did I miss something? What's this about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wait, did I miss something? What's this about?
    Apparently new Planar Achievement levels were mentioned on the live stream and are also going to be behind an excessive grind like an earring slot - or purchase with earings.

EDIT: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...pa-tier-s.html
    EDIT: Another one was made: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...tead-acms.html

EDIT: this is interesting - someone posted it: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-02-28 at 09:17 PM.

Apparently new Planar Achievement levels were mentioned on the live stream and are also going to be behind an excessive grind like an earring slot - or purchase with earings.

EDIT: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...pa-tier-s.html
    EDIT: Another one was made: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...tead-acms.html

EDIT: this is interesting - someone posted it: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120
    Hmmm, if it's an account wide unlock for ACM (Abyssal Crusader's Marks, had to log in to remember what currency ACM referred to) and it's not ludicrous, I'm "meh" on it. Not a fan by any means, but as long as its' achievable through a reasonable in-game grind, sure. New players won't need to unlock it for a long time, and existing players likely have a character with a ton of ACM stored up, or one they can dedicate to farming them.

Pricing is going to be what matters most, but given Trion's recent history I'm sadly pretty skeptical about their ability to price it reasonably : /

10+ Year Old Account
    The new Planar Attunement Tiers are at the very least 10 weeks or more away as it was said early May for second part of 3.6, which will also bring the Intrepid Instant Adventure for Mind of Madness Raid.

There's currently 13 weekly quests in the game that award these Abyssal Crusaders Marks:

Aquias Avenger = 500 ACMs

Cerebral Catharsis = 500 ACMs

War Across the Seas = 500 ACMs

Five If By Sea = 500 ACMs

Spirit of Adventure = 500 ACMs

The Five Kanhs = 500 ACMs

Tyrant of the Wilds = 500 ACMs

Baac Off = 500 ACMs

Planes Gone Wild = 500 ACMs

The PvP weeklies offer even more at 650 ACMs each:

Guns For Hire = 650 ACMs

Carnage: Ascended = 650 ACMs

Conquest Carnage = 650 ACMs

Victory In Conquest = 650 ACMs

Doing your random Expert Dungeon and Warfront every day will also net you 400 ACMs each and a random Chronicle daily will earn you 200 ACMs.

These are your main sources of ACMs and that's just the "base" amount you get, factor in bonus stacking effects like the Guild Perk, a Patron boost, if you are one, and even popping a currency token just before you cash in all the weeklies will earn you stacks of them each week and as already stated you have at least 10 weeks to stack them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    The new Planar Attunement Tiers are at the very least 10 weeks or more away as it was said early May for second part of 3.6, which will also bring the Intrepid Instant Adventure for Mind of Madness Raid.

There's currently 13 weekly quests in the game that award these Abyssal Crusaders Marks:

Aquias Avenger = 500 ACMs

Cerebral Catharsis = 500 ACMs

War Across the Seas = 500 ACMs

Five If By Sea = 500 ACMs

Spirit of Adventure = 500 ACMs

The Five Kanhs = 500 ACMs

Tyrant of the Wilds = 500 ACMs

Baac Off = 500 ACMs

Planes Gone Wild = 500 ACMs

The PvP weeklies offer even more at 650 ACMs each:

Guns For Hire = 650 ACMs

Carnage: Ascended = 650 ACMs

Conquest Carnage = 650 ACMs

Victory In Conquest = 650 ACMs

Doing your random Expert Dungeon and Warfront every day will also net you 400 ACMs each and a random Chronicle daily will earn you 200 ACMs.

These are your main sources of ACMs and that's just the "base" amount you get, factor in bonus stacking effects like the Guild Perk, a Patron boost, if you are one, and even popping a currency token just before you cash in all the weeklies will earn you stacks of them each week and as already stated you have at least 10 weeks to stack them.
    There are a few issues, though.

1. We have no clue what the price for ACM will be. If it's similar to what the earring/PWW attunement, then it's going to be a very considerable grind. Grinds to unlock things instead of paying for them are generally fine, but it's a fine line between an acceptable/reasonable grind and one that crosses the line to "too grindy"

2. Thus far, all PA levels have been included for free, which has kept everyone on the same power level. Locking them behind a wall like this gives the appearance of removing things from players that were once provided to players for free (which plays into the view that Trion is hurting for money in a pretty serious way) and also plays into the calls that Rift is becoming more and more P2W.

3. That's also assuming one has a group to do many of the raid weeklies and wants to engage in PVP (or PvE if they're a PvPer) in order to cap ACM each week. For a lot of folks, that's engaging in content they absolutely don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Assuming people have both the time and the willingness to do them all. Its a heavy time commitment to have to make, and most likely involves doing content that you have little to no interest in. Thats totally ignoring that some of those will require a raid group, and not everyone can assemble one at their beck and call, nor has the requisite 1600 Hit your average pug seems to insist is totally nessacary.

The previous pattens with PA were that the unlockable higher tiers had substantially larger bonuses than the previous tiers, if the same holds true here we can expect to have some very large bonuses in the new tiers too - So large that not having them is a massive disadvantage. Knowing Trion they're going to make them practically mandatory just like they did with the Earrings. Its yet another one of those "Uh-oh" moments Trion are heading towards.

Deleted
    Rift died long before it went f2p. Few months ago, I gave it another shot. Funny but the AH was lacking...everything. If the main player to player shop is almost empty, you can pretty much tell how successful the game is.

RIFT was doing really well in Storm Legion, and at the start of nightmare tide, but as the expansion was like a discount wod just with more bugs, people quickly left.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    Rift died long before it went f2p. Few months ago, I gave it another shot. Funny but the AH was lacking...everything. If the main player to player shop is almost empty, you can pretty much tell how successful the game is.
    By virtually every measurable figure, Rift peaked during Storm Legion, right before/during F2P. If you look at raiding community, number of people trying out the game, etc. The game was not dead "long before it went f2p."

The raiding community saw a large decline in the few months following f2p as guilds adjusted to the new business model. Nightmare Tide saw many more people leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is RIFT dead? Dying... as for the forums - yes.

Sigh... Trion's "Community Ambassador" gets away with insulting other people,
    plays the victim and when called out... CM defends him:

*snip*

Let's not bring personal drama from other boards here, especially when it involves calling out other posters. Keep it to those respective boards. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-03-08 at 05:06 PM.

Rift may not be dead, but these subforums certainly are.

Is RIFT dead? Dying... as for the forums - yes.

Sigh... Trion's "Community Ambassador" gets away with insulting other people,
    plays the victim and when called out... CM defends him:

*snip*

Let's not bring personal drama from other boards here, especially when it involves calling out other posters. Keep it to those respective boards. -Edge
    To be perfectly frank I don't know why people bother with the official forums anymore,not like Trion actually listens to or gives a shit about people's negative feedback anyway by what I see going on there.

Spare yourself the headaches and just stop bothering,let the white knights have their circle-jerk heaven and move on