Few WoD rogue questions

Hey just have a few questions as I plan on making my rogue alt my main again in WoD as I like how it looks from a few videos but would like some more info from those who played beta and ptr.

1. Which is the best spec atm for pvp mainly any pve info is welcome as well.

2. How close are the specs in pvp and pve

3. I've heard assasination is pretty good right now but with that vendetta change how is it?

4. any info you can give on specs for pvp mainly is great ty.

Edit: Will burst of speed still be the best thing to get or will shadow step/cloak and dagger actually be a choice now as well?
    Last edited by Rooskie1993; 2014-09-14 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't PvP and my finger on the pulse of WoD isn't so hot lately, but I can answer 3! Vendetta is most likely either unchanged or just barely nudged.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    I interpreted the wording to mean things like the meta gem, and trinkets like vial of shadows to no longer scale with vendetta, not the lack of poisons. The vendetta tooltip was just reworded to indicate that only damage sources that come from rogue abilities & mechanics (such as VW and poisons) benefit from it, but not damage that comes from items directly (such as landsharks, legendary meta gem, legendary cloak procs, etc).
    If PvP comes to rely on item procs or sharks, well, sheeit. For assassination.

Hey if you follow preach on youtube he is going to main a rogue so im sure he will be posting some great footage of them, his video on assasination tells us that currently its the best dps spec atm. burst of speed will be increasing to 30 energy so i dont think it will be as useful as it was in MOP. Personally i like shadow step except on encounters where you end up in the boss and die from a mechanic such as immerseus. 30 energy is a lot especially in pvp when you are trying to burst, but when fighting classes like mages you generally cap energy because you cant get close enough to use anything so i guess we will see. i dont believe find weakness will be changing so sub might still be great for pvp only time will tell.

1. Which is the best spec atm for pvp mainly any pve info is welcome as well.
    All three of the specs are preforming well in PvP. Damage wise I feel Assassination is top. Though all 3 are respectable.

2. How close are the specs in pvp and pve
    Close as they have ever been. (pvp)

3. I've heard assasination is pretty good right now but with that vendetta change how is it?
    The Vendetta change was a tooltip fix. Functionality remains the same.

4. any info you can give on specs for pvp mainly is great ty.
    Heh, well I post WoD Rogue videos every day. Other then that Ask a more direct question. I could ramble and ramble xD.

5. Will burst of speed still be the best thing to get or will shadow step/cloak and dagger actually be a choice now as well?
    BoS is 'okay' atm. I enjoy step personally and have in MoP as well. In the end, Both BoS and Step are 'good' now. Not one being 'OP'

every expansion since before cataclysm came people have speculated for some odd reason that something other than sub would have a niche in pvp. Based on every past patch since 4.0 we can safely assume Sub will remain the PVP dominant spec from now till the end of the games lifecycle.

Mutilate was only viable in wrath for a few seasons because it did insane damage thanks to crit modifiers that no longer exist and Subs damage was pitiful. In season 8 patch 3.3.5 with stacking armor pen gems skilled rogues could do more than fine playing Sdance again which was the desire of most skilled players anyway and Blizzard knew this.

That spec has always been designed for pvp since vanilla.

Combat was the top arena spec for like season 1 and 2 because of harp builds (preparation and adrenaline rush) and mace stuns then they disallowed prep to reset AR and Hemo specs started doing more damage scaling better with gear.

Sub always scales better because it has that stupid op extra agility perk. Even in its nerfed state that combined with find weakness and shadow dance is enough to keep the spec viable for all time.

I seriously doubt sadly that combat or assassination will ever find a mainstream niche in 3v3 ever again or even 2v2 but arena isnt everything.. theres always duels, wpvp , Ashran and bgs.

Sub.
    +Dance now lasts 10 seconds allows use of CC abilities from stealth and allows for strong burst short cd time.
    +Strong openers, benefits the most from stealth, resets.
    +Dance being 1 minute syncs up with damage trinkets and other classes burst nicely.
    -Positional requirements
    -Low sustained damage
    -High skillcap, high maintainence.

Assassination,Mut,Mutilate,or SIN..

+Strong sustained damage
    +Much easier to play
    +Strong Burst
    -No extra utility/crowd control
    -Sustained damage is easy to heal through burst is all this game is about now since cataclysm. sustained pressure comps are dead like RPS and classic RLS. Muti is like a warrior or warlock with less utility and less sustained damage so no niche.
    -Burst Cooldown is boring and stuck on a specific target, removed by immunity spells and has a longer wait than shadow dance.

Combat.

+High energy Regeneration passively
    +2 Strong bursts one being nearly unavoidable
    +can lower cooldown time by executing finnishers
    -Weak openers, low sustained dps, no armor penetration mechanic relies on building up 30% combat insight takes time and can fall off at a bad time.
    -Slow combo point generation
    + long kidney Shot

No spec has extra survivability now and Sub does the most burst + has the most control

If I were designing for the class I would make combat capable of offtanking with survivability perks making it even more excellent for soloing, leveling and more fun-effective in pvp. (more dodge, parry, stamina)

Mutilate would deal the most damage in pvp period. I would remove vendetta and buff envenom, dispatch and mutilate to compensate.

Sub would be mostly unchanged except I would not give it a reduced cooldown on vanish or 10 seconds of dance and I would find a way to lower subs burst but buff sustained damage, It would still be the burst and control spec.

Ultimately my goal would be for all 3 to have a spot in pvp with mutilate excelling in at least 1 3s comp such as rls or rps.
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2014-09-17 at 08:48 AM.