Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Just started at the gym, ow.

I've divvied it up into Arms/Chest/Back days and Legs/Stomach days.

The latter is going really good, but at the end of the former I have really hard pain for at least 48 hours after, first time it was my chest that really hurt and this time it's my triceps, it's really agony and the fact that I have a very physical job doesn't make it fun. I can't lift my left arm over my head without great pain.

Does all this go over when I get used to it? Because I'm definitely not gonna keep going if It means I have to suffer for 2-4 days after before going again and restarting.

Thanks in advance

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should be sore, or rather your muscles should be tender, after that, but not outright hurting, and limiting movement, did you warm up properly? most people new to gyms don't, and you can cause some serious injury that way:s which isn't the result you want

You get use to it, and when you start getting more and more use to it, you push yourself harder. Heavier weight, more reps, etc.. Don't give up, the hardest part is starting.

Not only will you get use to it, but you'll start to enjoy the soreness. If you have a physically demanding job what you can do is just go a little bit easier at the gym. Or divide up your workouts even more so you don't have those days where literally half of your body is sore. Have a day for arms, a day for chests and back, a day for shoulders/abs and stuff like that

If you're sore that's normal, you're working all your body more then you're used to but that'll pass.

If you're in actual pain though you've pushed yourself too far.

Even if you warm up properly, you're going to be super sore on your first workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    I've divvied it up into Arms/Chest/Back days and Legs/Stomach days.

The latter is going really good, but at the end of the former I have really hard pain for at least 48 hours after, first time it was my chest that really hurt and this time it's my triceps, it's really agony and the fact that I have a very physical job doesn't make it fun. I can't lift my left arm over my head without great pain.

Does all this go over when I get used to it? Because I'm definitely not gonna keep going if It means I have to suffer for 2-4 days after before going again and restarting.

Thanks in advance
    Normal. When you work out your muscles naturally have small tears develop. While you're sore they are repairing and you shouldn't be working out. After a couple weeks or less you should be to the point where it lasts about 1 day of recovery and you can do your upper/lower every other day if you want.

I didn't run for about a year then I went out and ran a mile and almost puked. I was sore for 2 days after that in my legs and that wasn't even heavy lifting.
    Last edited by timmytompadderham; 2014-09-14 at 05:51 PM.

The first time you ever work out or start after an extended period of not lifting weights, never go full boar. Ease into it with light weights to near medium weight. Dont try and max yourself day one or you wont be able to move.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

If anyone says you're sore because you didn't stretch well enough, that's bullshit. You're gonna be sore the first times, and that's a good thing. After a few times you won't feel it that bad at all. Good job and good luck!
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    You should be sore, or rather your muscles should be tender, after that, but not outright hurting, and limiting movement, did you warm up properly? most people new to gyms don't, and you can cause some serious injury that way:s which isn't the result you want
    just saying, sometimes stretching when pushing weights is a bad thing. its better to do a proper cool down and stretch at the end rather than at the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by imarealpally View Post
    just saying, sometimes stretching when pushing weights is a bad thing. its better to do a proper cool down and stretch at the end rather than at the start.
    In what way? I've never come across any legit information that even implies a warm up could be damaging, Would be interesting to read if you've got something you can link?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    In what way? I've never come across any legit information that even implies a warm up could be damaging, Would be interesting to read if you've got something you can link?
    Because when you stretch you loosen the muscle making them weaker and more susceptible to injury. Stretching should not be part of warm up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Because when you stretch you loosen the muscle making them weaker and more susceptible to injury. Stretching should not be part of warm up.
    I think there is a misunderstanding here, I never said anything about stretching, I commented only on warm ups, which is what I thought the poster replying to me meant, considering I said nothing of stretching

It's normal for new lifters to experience a good amount of soreness. Eventually it will get better, you won't get as sore and you will look forward to the soreness, trust me

Also just an fyi, just because you aren't sore doesn't mean you did not have a good workout.

Lastly do not "STRETCH" prior to working out. Stretching forces blood out of the muscle leaving it dry and has a higher chance of injury.

Think of it like ringing out clothes. All the water escapes and the clothes aren't as flexible anyone. Same Thing with your muscle, the blood is forced out and is a lot more likely to cause an injury.

Please google ringing out clothes if you don't know what i mean lol, i can't post links yet

But do warm up, pick a really light weights and do a few movements of whatever exercise/muscle you are going to workout. Keep a slow tempo and focus on the contraction!

10+ Year Old Account
    your first week of working out at the gym you will be sore as hell.

starting your second week you will be surprised with how little sore you were compared to the previous week you'll be concerned you're not doing enough!

don't worry man keep going at it.

Deleted
    Your goal is to be sore! That means your body is adjusting and getting stronger!

People who are posting here never have been working out properly it seems. Stop giving advices which are pointless if you don't have enough knowledge because it can only do worse than better for him.

First of all:
    Do not train your chest and back and whole arms in one training. You're going to destroy your body.
    Do not work your Chest and Back in one day, the same goes with Biceps and Triceps. They're both opposite muscles.
    (I know that some people are working opposite muscles in the one day, but they're professional and know how to do it, and mostly because they're just "finishing" their sculpture, I don't know how to say that in english, sorry)

Second thing:
    If you're startning then you should work ~3-4 days a week, the best training for you is, for example is:
    -Monday- biceps, chest
    -Wednesday- back, triceps
    -Friday- legs, shoulders

Traing your stomach every second training because it's a muscle that works in a different way than others. (the best if monday and friday, because stomach is like chest, it shouldn't be trained the same day as back)

Third thing:
    What are you training for? Bigger Muscle Mass? Sculpture? Condition? Strenght?
    There are many trainings, I recommend you reading how to train first than going to the gym and training everything you can in one day, or be ready for many contussions in the future.

Fourth thing:
    You are SORE because your muscles are dying(google DOMS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness ), they're going to be replaced with more and stronger fibres if you're eating enough protein/carbon/fat. DOMS are OKAY if they're not REALLY painful, you should try to focus to have them, but not TOO MUCH, otherwise you're destroying your muscles. Do not stretch before work out, stretch AFTER work out. The only thing you need to do before is warm up. (doing light exercises with lighter weights etc.)

Fifth and the last thing:
    DIET is most important thing when you're starting to working out. Do not go full "HEALTHY DIET" because it's also bad for you if you were eating many fast-foods etc. (your bowels need to slowly get used to the healthy diet, if you're going full healthy diet from full "trash" diet then you're going to have gastrical problems)
    Last edited by Eazy; 2014-09-16 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    People who are posting here never have been working out properly it seems. Stop giving advices which are pointless if you don't have enough knowledge because it can only do worse than better for him.ing everything you can in one day, or be ready for many contussions in the future.
    Says then spouts a load of extremely foul smelling and runny bullshit..

Quote Originally Posted by [Apok] View Post
    Says then spouts a load of extremely foul smelling and runny bullshit..
    My same thought lol, i dont think you really need to go very in depth as a beginner anyways.. you should be sore and thats normal, as long as you continue training youll stop being sore eventually. You haven't been truly sore until you train your calves like a madman for the first time though! I walked crooked for days after that..

it's like raiding in that you progress thru it, learning the mechanics per say, until you have it on farm and then go up to the next tier of difficulty.