10+ Year Old Account

New computer (student bundle offer)

It finally came the time when I will be able to get a new desktop and I was faced with a though choise

My university just renewed all their general purpose computers and managed to get the company to offer a similar deal to any student who wishes to purchase the same computer. It has the following specs:

• i7-4790 @ 3.6ghz
    • 16gb (2x8) RAM ddr3 1600mhz
    • 1TB HDD sata 3.0, 64mb cache, 7200 rpm
    • mouse, keyboard and windows 8.1 licence included

This setup would cost 725€. As this computer only uses the graphics chip of the i7 I'd be then adding a dedicated graphic card (looking at a gtx970) and a 120gb SDD which would push the price to around 1100€.
    Unfortunately the computer is sold as is, which means I can't replace any piece, as I would have prefered the K unlocked version.

Now, would this be a good bargain? Before I gained knowledge of this promotion I had my mind set on another bundle, this one on my local pc store:

• i5-4670k
    • 8gb
    • 120gb SDD
    • 1tb hdd
    • gtx970
    • Corsair Hydro Series H80i

These settings would be priced a little bit shy of 1300€

Keeping in mind that the goal of the computer will be gaming, programming and using Unity, which setup would you guys pick?

And btw, as of now, shelling a couple more hundreds on the brand new cpus is just not worth it, is it?
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2014-09-28 at 08:32 PM.

The system looks solid, but what is the form factor of the case? A lot of those prebuilts are small form factor and won't be able to fit a standard video card in it.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    The student bundle comes on a full tower, so those biggy cards shouldn't be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the choice? Is the i7 bundle (even if it can't be unlocked) better than the i5 one?