Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    One 970 is more than enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    One 970 is more than enough.
    Did you read any of the replies in the thread? Specifically the one from EVN, watch his video.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My point is, these shitty ports are going to keep coming. If you want to play those shitty ports, it makes a lot more sense to just buy a console and play them on those instead. Cheaper, and more cost efficient since the console will act as a media client/entertainment hub for your living room.
    So what you're saying is...it makes more sense to spend $400 for a console to play games at mediocre textures, 900p, and 30fps than to just spend probably around $100 more for a card for double VRAM to play those same games at better resolution, better quality, and better fps? You obviously also don't understand that some of us refuse to support those consoles that think they can cheap people on parts and force them to play games at shit quality for the next few years. Who honestly thinks a good idea to build a next gen console that struggles for 1080p 60fps at launch...with settings comparable to medium on PC.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-10-25 at 03:41 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Did you read any of the replies in the thread? Specifically the one from EVN, watch his video.
    I tested it at 4k with my 970 and I was comfortably sitting at 60+ everywhere apart from Orgrimmar/Shrine.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I tested it at 4k with my 970 and I was comfortably sitting at 60+ everywhere apart from Orgrimmar/Shrine.
    I get the same results with a single GTX970 at 5K (can't use my second GTX970 ATM because Blizz messed up SLI in last patch /grr) but that doesn't guarantee we will see the same in the near future as the new zones will be designed for the new engine whereas the current ones were designed for the old one (now the game makes much better CPU usage it will be able to get more out of the GPU), its also worth noting that because Blizz downgraded the AA in 6.0 and we only have low (FXAA) and medium (CMAA) options available we will see performance take a hit when they do add in a high option (hopefully SSAA).

I tried running 4K with a single GTX 970, no problems on a high pop server. (CPU: FX-8350) recording while playing at 4K drastically reduced frame rates^^

Off-topic: My single GTX 970 can run Crysis 3 at 4K too, but only if i turn of AA.
    Sethraz - Havoc Demon Hunter - Draenor EU - Achievement Points: 22220+ - Mounts: 472+

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Related: what 5k screen are you using? Dell's hasn't shipped and Apple is shipping iMacs with crappy mobile GPUs and forbidding target-display-mode. I'm in the market for new screens.
    There aren't any.
    Dell's UP2715K is shipping next week (well 4 days) and the iMac aren't released yet as you said.
    It is also dubious whether the DP 1.2 can power the monitors at 60Hz. We'll see though once it gets shipped. Would be nice if they launched with DP1.3 but that also means that your video card has to have the capability, and I don't know if 970/980 has it.
    If you want to get a 4k at 2.5k you could just go for the NEC PA322UHD with 1920x1080 120Hz if you're into that. It is their PA (Professional Arts) series though soooooooooooooooooo....................................................................... ......... yeah.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-10-27 at 07:26 PM.

Related: what 5k screen are you using? Dell's hasn't shipped and Apple is shipping iMacs with crappy mobile GPUs and forbidding target-display-mode. I'm in the market for new screens.
    Can easily test crazy resolutions with DSR on GTX970/980 (and also coincidentially work around some WoW AA issues).

A 970 can run WoW at 4K
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    More amusing than that is the fact that the entire basis behind Sinestra as a lore character is that she was the only dragon who was able to withstand the power of Deathwing's cock.

thanks for all the replies guys i think i got an idea i'll try to get the best out of my budget.

I have a feeling game developers are purposly making games use more pc resources to run the same graphics as consoles simply so they can make consoles look better.
    When in reality a high-end PC should play 4x anything a console can.

I bet the titan supercomputer would drop under 60fps in WoW on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    Hi all, as title says i wanted to know if a pc with an intel i7 4790k and 2x GTX 980 in SLI can run wow at 4k with decent performance at ultra settings. With decent i mean something between 30-60 fps on ultra or at least high settings in mythic raiding.

I'm thinking about bulding a new pc with the i7 4790k and a GTX980 soon and i'm deciding if it is worth upgrading my 1080p monitor to a 4k next year along with getting a second 980. I mostly play wow, like 90% of the time and some diablo 3 although i'm rly bored of it atm so i'm just playing wow.
    I raid mythic and with my pc which has a i7 870 @2.93ghz (it's like 4/5 years old cpu) and a 660ti i'm getting like 20-45fps in mythic on high settings as of 6.0.2 when before patch in tot 25hc i wouldn't see more than 25 fps, even 10 on pulls.

I've been checking around for this info and the closest thing i found was a video on you tube and this guy had a GTX970 SLI with i7 4790k, he was flying around orgrimmar and shrine and he says he was getting between 96 and 29 fps.

i change pc every 4/5 years and i'm changing it because of mythic raiding, we used to raid 10man hc and i didn't have much problems with it if not at all. with new 4k monitors being affordable i was thinking about upgrading everything but if atm there is no gpu card that can run wow or any other game with good performance i may aswell buy a 970 save some money and wait some years before getting a new monitor and upgrade my pc.
    First of all you got way to much money on your hands, like jesus lol. Second, that is complete overkill for WoW or Diablo..Third that technology is too new so it's overpriced as hell atm and also it's rather bare bones...Plenty of improvements will be coming to 4K in the coming 2 years.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would you mind going and running around the world a bit and capturing with Shadowplay then updating your comment?

In 3 months when somebody else comes along asking for advice we'll be able to link this thread and evidence (rather than "he said it worked") will be available for them to weight. If we all contribute a little bit of verifiable evidence then everyone will be better off. It's not like we can count on 3rd party reviewers to do this sort of testing for us.
    Yeah sure, I have some footage of UBRS that I recorded before 6.0 that I'm about to upload to youtube (me versus the summon-able balance druid boss that turns into a faerie dragon because boomkin form wasn't invented yet).

I'm using a 2560x1080 screen with DSR, so the game runs at 5K then is downscaled to 2.5K before being put on screen (looks better than the current AA options).

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    WoW definitely unofficially supports SLI, but it only utilizes it in empty zones. Elsewhere it's limited by CPU. I've seen 90% usage on both of my cards. Otherwise the only benefit is that the fans run at low RPM due to shared load.
    Blizzard tech support will not help you with sli issues I would not call that true sli support. Although they pushed out a hotfix for the sky flicker rather quickly so maybe they are heading in that direction of official sli support
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

I just gave it a quick go comparing my relatively dated gaming pc (2x 780 stock speeds + 4770k @ 4.6) at 4k with and without SLI. You can extrapolate for faster/slower cards from there.
    Would you say you have more fps in 4K than in 1080p since that max'ed your GPU's completely out? I usually have around 30-40 fps in shrine with extremely low loads, 3930K at stock though.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Would you say you have more fps in 4K than in 1080p since that max'ed your GPU's completely out? I usually have around 30-40 fps in shrine with extremely low loads, 3930K at stock though.
    Due to your CPU, not GPU. If a game doesn't run at a certain fps in 1080, it won't be any better at 4k. Maybe not worse, but improving is illogical.

Only way to increase fps would be overclocking. Not sure you're purpose of a 6 core, but for gaming it's useless and the core clock is extremely low on it. You really should overclock it since you have an aftermarket cooler anyways.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Due to your CPU, not GPU. If a game doesn't run at a certain fps in 1080, it won't be any better at 4k. Maybe not worse, but improving is illogical.

Only way to increase fps would be overclocking. Not sure you're purpose of a 6 core, but for gaming it's useless and the core clock is extremely low on it. You really should overclock it since you have an aftermarket cooler anyways.
    I know, just took the same positions as him, apparently he had a different camera view which I compared with, it's pretty much the same performance instead that my GPU loads are much lower because I'm running 1080p.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Completely useless.
    From my experience it is useful. Running 5 clients a cross three monitors needs it. If anyone says otherwise then they simply haven't tried.
    Last edited by Galluccio; 2014-11-08 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before buying one i'd definitely wait until jan since between november and december is when the 8gb is supposed to come out.
    Completely useless.
    I agree. 8GB is just going to be good for video rendering or lots of monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

Howdy. I have a 4970K and 2 MSI 970s (the blue OC armor 1s). I also have the Asus PB 4K monitor.

1 card will run WoW on ultra generally between 40 - 60 FPS at native 4K .

2 cards will run WoW on ultra generally between 85 - 100 FPS at native 4K.

The individual cards do seem to get quite a bit warmer when I run SLI on ultra; 70c vs 62-63 single.

I really like this Asus PB 4K monitor. The vividpixel is super nice looking and cleans up edges on things so well. I have never seen anything like that on a monitor before and its pretty crazy how different it makes the game look.
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

Deleted
    760 2GB SLI runs WoW perfectly well at 4k. I have no reason to believe 970 would do worse.