Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Rift is starting to show it's age, graphics wise. It is an older game and due to poor optimization and no multi-core support, it's probably about as good as it's ever gonna get too.
    Now that I finally have a computer that can run it at max graphics, I'd disagree with it showing its age. I still think it's a pretty spectacular looking game, I'm a fan of a lot of the art in the game to boot. The issue for a lot of folks is primarily what you say, awful optimization that mostly boils down to the lack of multi-core support.

While it's not on-par with ArcheAge, there's also a 2 year gap between the two, so some form of gap can be expected : P

so far it just feels like a half finished expansion, the lack of a tier 1 synergy crystal, the lack of any sort of accessories in the store, the consolidation of pvp and pve is quite annoying, CQ is just a win lottery, being forced to do crappy unbalanced pvp for pve gear, you know some ppl just don't want to pvp, no matter how much pve gear you throw at it. i just this morning finished getting apoch to 450 on a blitz, its nice being able to do your own consumables but damn talk about plat sink, 1 plat for the crafting fodder, 1 plant to farm, i'm all for simplicity but.. that was anti-climactic reaching the end.. the previous end games looked more fun to craft in.

the nightmare rifts are a big plus, 6 experts already feel like i've ran them all 100 times. maybe there is no pleasing some ppl, ive had fun, still have an alt to level, gotta catch up on the PA a bit, not really feeling the gear upgrade path its like tens of thousands of these or tens of thousands of those, they both come in at a reasonable rate so does it really matter what you upgrade probably not. the world gear is marginally worst than the expert gear, the amount of stones it costs to upgrade gear and the tiny amount of stats you gain(if any). i can't remember what i was doing with the infinity stones during SL after i bought all the gear i could with them, i feel that point might come much sooner this time around.

my bro seems to be on a love hate coin flip with rift, i'm hearing joy and anger from him, ppl needing on his gear is really stressing him out, its not the same classes either it'll be guild groups mass needing to feed their friend or clerics needing on mage trinkets because 'its better than nothing' or they just want to be dicks, i feel for him, but hes also getting nearly exclusively tank drops, so hes a mage without the dream souls getting 90% tank gear, with no non-paywall way to use it properly.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-02-18 at 10:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a huge Crafting update coming in today's Hotfix (tomorrow for Europe) where for the first time in Rift you'll be able to craft Trinkets. You'll also be able to update Abyssal marks purchased gear and Expert gear drops further, sometimes with 2 upgrade paths.

Jonus maintains an excellent site at http://riftgrate.com/ and goes into great detail here with what to expect tomorrow

http://riftgrate.com/2015/02/14/pts-...february-2015/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Now that I finally have a computer that can run it at max graphics, I'd disagree with it showing its age. I still think it's a pretty spectacular looking game, I'm a fan of a lot of the art in the game to boot.
    Hi, can you tell me what is your GPU and CPU now, just to know and how many FPS approximatively.

I agree with the spectacular side. Abusive contrast and bloom with SweetFx during the Night make the Rifts look really " Awesome ".

I'd disagree with it showing its age.

there's also a 2 year gap between the two, so some form of gap can be expected : P
    You contradict yourself. You say it's not starting to show it's age, but admit there is a gap? That gap is proof of the age it is starting to show.

Deleted
    but admit there is a gap? That gap is proof.
    Can you please stop Meth before posting, because Edge said there is effectively 2 years between the production and technology .... that doesn't mean "" It's two years older, oh my god what a fucking ugly grandma "".

Are michaelangelo's paintings bags of shit compared to some picasso, only because it's older ?

And, in case, yeah, sorry to feed you.

The modeling in Rift is very good, but the texture work at high settings is only so-so. The animation rigging also is somewhat lacking even compared to older games like Vindictus.

Rift still looks good at high settings- not too shabby. The game just runs really poorly across a variety of configurations. My old desktop, which is about 3 years old at this point, can run the game at high settings with a very good framerate. But if I near a water rift or portal into TB the framerate drops to like 10.

However, on my laptop (which is technically more capable than my desktop) the game just barely runs at the "playdoh" settings. The super computer living on my 2nd floor (which is far better than my desktop or laptop) can run Rift at high settings but framerate is a guessing game- sometimes 45, 30, 60, 10, 8 (yes, 8 fps).

There is some validity to those dismayed by the performance of the game on their hardware. In particular how the performance of the game has not significantly improved over the life of the product up to and including 3.0.

There are a few factors that influenced my scaling back of Rift play time; a couple personal (I had a baby), got a far busier job (babies are expensive) but most of the reason is with the nature of the game itself. Now I do think rift is still a well made 2nd era MMO, as good as the best made in the genre; though the game lacks a certain excitement to it all which lends an overall dull atmosphere for non-raid content. Amid the performance gap, long upgrade cycles, limited gameplay depth and sub par story telling- it is hard to get excited for Rift even if what is there is competently made.

Raiding I just can not commit to anymore on a full time schedule. So I tend to be the "carry-along" these days when I do raid. Mileage may vary in 3.0+ regarding this state of affairs.

You contradict yourself. You say it's not starting to show it's age, but admit there is a gap? That gap is proof of the age it is starting to show.
    That's not a contradiction.

The game looks good. Not as good as more recently released games, as graphical fidelity improves over time, but still good.

It's like saying that Tera is showing its age. I mean, if you want to get down to it, sure, it is a bit. But that doesn't detract from the fact that it's still a bloody gorgeous game, even compared to anything released since it came out.

That's not a contradiction.

The game looks good. Not as good as more recently released games, as graphical fidelity improves over time, but still good.

It's like saying that Tera is showing its age. I mean, if you want to get down to it, sure, it is a bit. But that doesn't detract from the fact that it's still a bloody gorgeous game, even compared to anything released since it came out.
    If Tera looks just as good as anything coming out, it is not showing any age. Rift does not look as good as things coming out, therefore it shows age. I am not saying it is ancient or anything. It's obviously leaps and bounds ahead of games that are most definitely showing their age, however, it's age is starting to be noticeable, that's all. You admit there is a gap, so therefore, it shows that it is older. To say that there it is not starting to shows it's age, but that you do see the gap is most certainly a contradiction. If there were not a gap, there is no difference and you can not tell it is older. Since there is a gap, you can tell it's older, therefore starting to show age.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Except that's not a screenshot of Rift (not sure if you're implying that it is or not) >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that's not a screenshot of Rift
    lolwut? that is Tarken Glacier, where did you think it was, Antarctica?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if Trion used a decent engine for the game they could get better performance out of the game. The Art style is cool & all, but the performance really ruins the experience & could be why the game is showing it's age only after 4 years.
    (Only counting 4 because 4 year anniversary is coming up).

Honestly the game looked nice for a year than GW2, The Secret World, Neverwinter, TERA & FF14 blew it out of the water.

Rift's problem isn't it's look, it is mainly the shit performance it has, that all comes from the engine. It is what you get when you use a cheap engine like Gamebryo for a damn MMO. If Rift didn't have such terrible performance / optimization problems. I doubt you would having a discussion about it showing it's age.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2015-02-19 at 10:26 PM.

The Secret World, really? I love the game myself, but I find it somewhat shocking relative to my experiences with TSW to name it the superior of Rift in either performance or fidelity.

TSW looks terrible compared to Rift at high settings. Optimization is even worse than Rift in TSW too. Not a single PC in my household can run TSW at max settings and give a playable framerate consistently. Including my husband's monster PC.

Neverwinter's modeling is also somewhat less refined than Rift's, but the lightning effects and animation rigging are rather well done which obscure the poor modeling. FF14 and Tera are fidelity powerhouses in the genre though. The latter at maximum settings is fantastic and runs just as wonderfully.

Perhaps it was too much to ask Trion to scrap the engine in 3.0, but I do think better optimization was a reasonable request relative to competitors.

I think rift could benefit greatly from having that feature in tera which limits the amount of players it renders and lots of ppl will simply be grey models, i dunno though how much it would help, i think especially for conquest its just coming down to critical mass, having nearly triple digit characters on screen all casting and moving, the polygon count on each character. i doubt ill ever see a 3 way clash in conquest get more than .01 fps.

its usually fine upto 20 ppl after that it chugs really badly, really though your only gunna find maybe 3 situations where this is a problem, CQ, Zone events and nightmare rifts. 5 mans and anything upto 20 runs at playable frame rates. even on my budget rig ill pull 30-50 standing on my own somewhere, it'll drop to the 20's when there are about 20 or 30 ppl around me, then on events and cq ill get anything between 15 and 1. this is with the game on perhaps medium detail.

tera does run much smoother on my rig, but at the same time it doesn't have anything that even closely resembles the ability to see giant clusterfks on screen as you can in rift. might get lucky and see 50 or so ppl in town, and that does drop frame rates, i think if tera had a conquest or rift type open world thing, you see exactly the same performance.

dunno if it helps anyone but as far as grind goes or getting typhoon i managed to pick up 2 typhoons off g2a for the price of 1. that meant i could spend a little on creds and patron. that is if anyone is looking for a slightly cheaper alternative to paying like 20 bucks or so for it and skipping the 200k void grind.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-02-20 at 05:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the engine, Gamebryo, is that it was sold a few years back to a Korean Company, Gamebase, just as they were releasing Gamebryo 4.0 which promised us 64-bit, multi-core support etc.

Nothing was heard up until late last year but it 'seems' Gamebase weren't sitting on it and in this interview they reveal some ambitious plans and sales speak, most of it related to X-Box and PS4 but worth a read

http://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inter...-and-stability

Trion heavily modified the Gamebryo engine though so maybe so much it wouldn't be able to get updated to version 4.5 or whatever the Koreans come out with?

Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The modeling in Rift is very good, but the texture work at high settings is only so-so. The animation rigging also is somewhat lacking even compared to older games like Vindictus.

Rift still looks good at high settings- not too shabby. The game just runs really poorly across a variety of configurations. My old desktop, which is about 3 years old at this point, can run the game at high settings with a very good framerate. But if I near a water rift or portal into TB the framerate drops to like 10.

However, on my laptop (which is technically more capable than my desktop) the game just barely runs at the "playdoh" settings. The super computer living on my 2nd floor (which is far better than my desktop or laptop) can run Rift at high settings but framerate is a guessing game- sometimes 45, 30, 60, 10, 8 (yes, 8 fps).

There is some validity to those dismayed by the performance of the game on their hardware. In particular how the performance of the game has not significantly improved over the life of the product up to and including 3.0.

There are a few factors that influenced my scaling back of Rift play time; a couple personal (I had a baby), got a far busier job (babies are expensive) but most of the reason is with the nature of the game itself. Now I do think rift is still a well made 2nd era MMO, as good as the best made in the genre; though the game lacks a certain excitement to it all which lends an overall dull atmosphere for non-raid content. Amid the performance gap, long upgrade cycles, limited gameplay depth and sub par story telling- it is hard to get excited for Rift even if what is there is competently made.

Raiding I just can not commit to anymore on a full time schedule. So I tend to be the "carry-along" these days when I do raid. Mileage may vary in 3.0+ regarding this state of affairs.
    I never did like the way the NPC/player models look in Rift. Now I loved the game and the scenery looks amazing. Just not into the "people" of Rifts looks. Also the returning/new player curve is kinda rough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    The problem with the engine, Gamebryo, is that it was sold a few years back to a Korean Company, Gamebase, just as they were releasing Gamebryo 4.0 which promised us 64-bit, multi-core support etc.

Nothing was heard up until late last year but it 'seems' Gamebase weren't sitting on it and in this interview they reveal some ambitious plans and sales speak, most of it related to X-Box and PS4 but worth a read

http://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inter...-and-stability

Trion heavily modified the Gamebryo engine though so maybe so much it wouldn't be able to get updated to version 4.5 or whatever the Koreans come out with?

Time will tell
    I could get behind this if we didn't have examples like Warhammer Online, which also ran on the Gamebryo engine and supported multi-core CPU's. Because they totally did, and this was many years before Rift was released.

I just returned to rift after not playing since shortly after initial launch.

My only complaint about nightmare tide is lack of a stepping stone into nte's. I'm healing them with ease now thanks to a wonderful guild but I can see why so many ppl give up when they hit 65. Pugging those things as a fresh 65 is near impossible unless you get extremely lucky in your match up. Something as simple as a toned down version for the lfg ppl would help retain the community.

Like I said, I'm lucky enough to have found a great guild that essentially carried my noob butt through to teach me the fights. There's no way I could've tolerated all the trash talk in LFG otherwise. Now I'm returning the favor to new 65's in our guild as we work towards getting everyone ready to raid. Just feels like they've left a gap in their content that many new ppl won't be able to bridge.

yeah there is a huge contrast in the tanks, as a healer you can instantly see which tanks are either fresh 65s or just lacking some better gear, then you get a tank with 50% raid gear and 50% expert and suddenly they don't die in 3 hits. its taken me a while to build up a tank set (still deciding if i want to spend stones on the bits i miss or upgrade my healing/dps gear) but with the weeklies and the carnage and the various other ways in which to earn void stones, if more ppl realized they could get enough gear through voids they will be fine in experts. i mean 2 weeks of weeklies and perhaps doing as many carnage and nmrs as you can while leveling and after reaching 65, it doesn't take that long to gear up for experts. then you have the AH and some crafted pieces which will fill in the gaps that the void stones don't cover.

doing all the weeklies, that is the 30 adventures, the do 4 world event weekly, the pvp weeklies (4) the kill 20 nightmare boss weekly. altogether you earn something like 12-15k or so voids. which is easily enough to buy 2 of the smaller priced pieces of gear or one of the larger. doing all of them can easily net you at least 2 pieces of gear after hitting 65. with patron you get something like 1000 extra voids per weekly. hell you also get abyssals which after 2 weeks will also let you get an expert piece. without even touching the dungeons. then you can just keep doing warfronts for the win box, so far i've had a trinket which was upgradable to epic, boots also upgradable to epic and a lvl 65 greater again upgradable. i don't like doing pvp that much but with the chance to get free gear equal to expert stuff, its hard to pass up.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-02-21 at 01:03 PM.