Poll: Would you buy clothes if you knew child labour was used?

Thread: Child labour

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    You're right...sex trafficking is a totally made up thing. Nobody is saying that if kids can't work in factories they are all going into child prostitution...what we are saying is people do what they need to do to survive...including sex work.
    People do what they need to survive, but the only reason people HAVE to survive of of child labour is because consumers pay for the cheap goods, if we wouldn't buy those cheap goods, the industry over there wouldn't be able to work with child labour because they wouldn't sell anything anymore, they would be forced to use adults for production and labour, giving the children time to do whatever kids do in those countries, hopefully going to school.

This is how capitalism is intended to work from a humanist standpoint, sadly capitalists are rarely humanist.

Sex work and child labour only happens because there is a market for it, like with any other service or good that is produced and distributed, no consuming? No producing. It is the consuments duty to not be a brainless shoppingzombie looking for the cheapest prices. Its the consuments responsibility to buy durable products from durable industries.

TLDR: Don't buy sex and or child labour. If you do, you are partially responsible for their being sex/child labour in the world.
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2014-11-09 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I'm shocked and disgusted by people who voted for "I don't care" or I'd feel bad about it but still would buy the goods. Some people are truly monsters.

It's funny to see people justifying their immoral and dubious greedy habits of buying cheap goods by deluding themselves with the notion that they are providing work for desperate people.

You're praying on people's weaknesses and you know it.

"Lesser of two evils" Please you're being ridiculous.
    So what are you doing to help them?

Grammar be damned, the trick to full english proficiency is to whip it out with abandon and speak it like you don't care that it's not your mothertounge.

That's the cowboy way.

Also having an accent and a unique approach to sentence structure is way cooler than trying to mimic newscaster english

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    People do what they need to survive, but the only reason people HAVE to survive of of child labour is because consumers pay for the cheap goods, if we wouldn't buy those cheap goods, the industry over there wouldn't be able to work with child labour because they wouldn't sell anything anymore, they would be forced to use adults for production and labour, giving the children time to do whatever kids do in those countries, hopefully going to school.

This is how capitalism is intended to work from a humanist standpoint, sadly capitalists are rarely humanist.
    Do you think the kids are working for shits and giggles? Chances are if a kid has to work 18 hours a day it's probably because that family needs the money to eat. Take away a vital stream of income and those kids aren't just going to be going to school, and playing on their Game Boys.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    I think you are quite delusional if you think that children would be sold to pedophiles if it weren't for child labour. Is this the best justification you can come up with?
    That's one of the many outcomes for children(and adults for that matter) not getting factory jobs in third world countries. Dude, my father came home crying and severely depressed a few years ago after a vacation to Thailand, he had seen parents pimp out their 5 year old's on the streets of Bangkok, that's in a so-called developing country with a comparably strong economy. Imagine what they do in proper third world countries? The world isn't as nice as you think it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Do you think the kids are working for shits and giggles? Chances are if a kid has to work 18 hours a day it's probably because that family needs the money to eat. Take away a vital stream of income and those kids aren't just going to be going to school, and playing on their Game Boys.
    Figured you'd come with that answer, the reason those families are in such a situation is because their countries economy is constructed in such a way that those families are FORCED to send their children to 18h/day jobs.

You're basicly saying that child labour is okay. Thats either being a douche with lazy reasoning or being simply incredibly stupid.

I'm quite sure that they would go to school if they didn't have to work.
    Heh dat joke.

Let's all throw more money into these countries and see it all evaporate - over and over and over.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2014-11-09 at 07:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    That's one of the many outcomes for children(and adults for that matter) not getting factory jobs in third world countries. Dude, my father came home crying and severely depressed a few years ago after a vacation to Thailand, he had seen parents pimp out their 5 year old's on the streets of Bangkok, that's in a so-called developing country with a comparably strong economy. Imagine what they do in proper third world countries? The world isn't as nice as you think it is.
    You don't get it either do you ?

Why do those children get pimped out on the street to dirty old men?

Because their family needs the money? Yes

Where does the money come from?

Consumers. Consumers being either pedophiles travelling to Tailand or mindless braindead shoppingzombies buying cheap clothing produced with child labour.

I can guarantee you that no parent would prostitute their children if there wasn't money in it. Same thing with child labour, there wouldn't be any if people didn't pay for those goods.

Sex slavery/child labour and all those nasty things you claim I don't know anything about is the fault of mindless consuming and people like you making lazy excuses for their mindless consuming.

Sex work and child labour only happens because there is a market for it, like with any other service or good that is produced and distributed, no consuming? No producing. It is the consuments duty to not be a brainless shoppingzombie looking for the cheapest prices. Its the consuments responsibility to buy durable products from durable industries.

TLDR: Don't buy sex and or child labour. If you do, you are partially responsible for their being sex/child labour in the world.
    How do parents work if one's dead and the other's dieing?

Figured you'd come with that answer, the reason those families are in such a situation is because their countries economy is constructed in such a way that those families are FORCED to send their children to 18h/day jobs.

You're basicly saying that child labour is okay. Thats either being a douche with lazy reasoning or being simply incredibly stupid.
    No, that's actually not what I am saying. What I am implying is that establishing a 40 hour work week and outlawing employment under the age of 15 overnight is going to fix the problem. Poverty is a lot more dynamic an issue than just saying it's because kids are forced to work.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindahuge View Post
    *labor

/10chars
    Labour is actually correct English unless you are from the US.

You clearly have all the answers but haven't fixed those countries' economies yet??

Might as well get rid of what..80% of the clothing we all own if this bothers you.

I also think that no matter what anyone does those children will need to have the jobs to help support their families in the very poor economy they live in.

Deleted
    You don't get it either do you ?

Why do those children get pimped out on the street to dirty old men?

Because their family needs the money? Yes

Where does the money come from?

Consumers. Consumers being either pedophiles travelling to Tailand or mindless braindead shoppingzombies buying cheap clothing produced with child labour.

I can guarantee you that no parent would prostitute their children if there wasn't money in it. Same thing with child labour, there wouldn't be any if people didn't pay for those goods.

Sex slavery/child labour and all those nasty things you claim I don't know anything about is the fault of mindless consuming and people like you making lazy excuses for their mindless consuming.
    As I've said before this isn't about supporting a harmful practice by 'jewing' for cheap clothing. It's about temporarily accepting a lesser evil in the absence of a solution because the alternative is many magnitudes of evil worse. But you probably think that everything will be fine and dandy if we just stop purchasing product that used child labor in some part of its production, right? Consumer demand. That's what you think is the root problem? You're so full of yourself you can't see beyond your own nose.

And don't lecture me about irresponsible consuming you don't know the first thing about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post

Life is more than drawing breath and merely staying alive.
    For poor kids in Bangladesh, I actually think staying alive is their MAIN concern and possibly the only one in many cases. Life is just that rough in such places. But the +12h workdays, the fact that these kids often wear NO suits to protect them from the harmful dye-chemicals etc. are quite grievous to think of. Child labour is not nice, but neither are the countries in which it takes place. But the miserable working-conditions they work under are, without a doubt, the worst about this whole mess.

On a more general note (my answer to this thread in general);

It would, in some ways, be better if the companies hired the parents instead and paid a wage high enough to allow the kids to go to school. This would still leave the orphans in the dumps, but as mentioned, these 3rd world countries are NOT nice. Not everybody in this world is going to be happy and set, and IMO, it is a VERY often spoiled rich persons from the 1st world that make just this demand. It is an unrealistic demand, and keeping on making this unrealistic demand does NOT make for a 'better person' - just an ignorant one.
    Alas, I do not really think the global companies want the children of the 3rd world to have an education. These global companies didn't become world-wide dynasties by playing nice. If the companies started hiring the adults and paid better wages, sure most of the children might get an education. But education leads to a more demanding workforce that are more aware of their rights, and seriously, I do not really think any companies want that. For them, the present situation is better even if it is very immoral to maintain it. Also, a better educated 3rd world would pose a challenge - and competition - to our current lifestyle in the 1st world with a generally high standard of living. Are people willing to give up on this life in relative luxury in the long run to make the world 'more fair'? (This is an open question).

It really is a very difficult ethical problem, and I think it's sad to see many people making these absolute statements "You're evil if....[finish the sentence yourself]" (As Obi-Wan said; Only a Sith deals in absolutes. ). Even if the companies started hiring adults and raised the wage considerably so the kids could go to school, there would still be the orphans. These are the most vulnerable in the 3rd-world countries; many of them live on the streets without parents and for them, it's either the factory, go criminal or.... let's not talk about it. It just isn't as black/white as some make it out to be.

To those who ONLY see bad things about child-labour, rejoice. The age of automated production is upon us, and in a few decades, I do believe it will be much more lucrative for the companies to have robots sew clothes (or manufactoring any goods, really) - they never need to rest. And people without the skills or finances for long educations will be left in the dumps, regardless of nationality... we will, in just a few short decades, see how nice life is for the working-class who will no longer have work or an income.
    Last edited by Pengekaer; 2014-11-09 at 09:12 PM.

None of my clothes are made using child's labor or any kind of "sweatshop" violating rights. I am a bit proud of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sure would. There's a finite amount of things you can care about in this world, and child labor is simply one of those things that I don't give a shit about, really.

I don't care. I am too busy worrying about Tracer's sexuality to give any fucks on the conditions of other people in other countries and where my shit comes from. *shrug*
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I like it when kids make my clothes. Thier hands are smaller so they can do the stitching better.