Can anyone give me advice on a routine?

I need help with a routine that will help me lose some fat and build muscle, currently I work out 4-5 times a week, about 30 mins cardio each time and rest is lifting weights for about a total of 1 hr 30 a day.

I do however don't work or go to school currently so I just stay at home playing WoW or Dota all day after the gym, I get up every now and then and do go out with friends sometimes to movies etc but other then that I don't really move so I think thats a sedentary lifestyle?

Can anyone help me figure a routine that would help with that lifestyle?

Thank you!

If you're following that work out routine and not getting results in terms of fat/weight loss, my guess would be your meal and food selection needs to change. After that, how intense are your "30 mins of cardio"? Jogging lightly for 30 minutes isn't going to burn much; I say go out and do wind/hill sprints or interval sprints; you cover two or three times the distance with a much higher heart rate, and you can do your cardio in half the time it takes to "jog a few miles". Yes, it is way more strenuous, but it delivers results as well.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

The single most important aspect of weight loss is diet. Less red meats, more lean, brown rice, lots of veggies, few fruits, no sugary drinks. You should definitely try to have a regular sleep schedule too. When I was job hunting, here was my routine:

8am: wake up and go for a walk (few miles) with doge
    9am: breakfast
    9am-1pm: Game
    1pm: Lunch
    1pm-6pm: Game
    6pm: Make/Eat Dinner/Chill
    830-1030: Gym
    in bed by midnight

Did my job hunting/applications during Game time. Also, get up and stretch a bit during long periods of gaming. Went from ~300lbs to 175 lbs using this routine. If you're looking for a specific gym routine, you gotta let me know where you are at and what are your goals. As for right now, I think you should focus your efforts on cutting/losing weight then worry about building muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikep4567 View Post
    The single most important aspect of weight loss is diet. Less red meats, more lean, brown rice, lots of veggies, few fruits, no sugary drinks. You should definitely try to have a regular sleep schedule too. When I was job hunting, here was my routine:

8am: wake up and go for a walk (few miles) with doge
    9am: breakfast
    9am-1pm: Game
    1pm: Lunch
    1pm-6pm: Game
    6pm: Make/Eat Dinner/Chill
    830-1030: Gym
    in bed by midnight

Did my job hunting/applications during Game time. Also, get up and stretch a bit during long periods of gaming. Went from ~300lbs to 175 lbs using this routine. If you're looking for a specific gym routine, you gotta let me know where you are at and what are your goals. As for right now, I think you should focus your efforts on cutting/losing weight then worry about building muscle.
    This is my current routine

7am: Wake up, go to the gym (only time I can get there with my mum, don't have a car anymore)
    8am: Breakfast
    8:30am-Lunch: Gaming
    Lunch-2pm: Usually watch shows
    2pm-Dinner: Gaming
    After Dinner-11-12: Gaming with friends

I still live at home and I look for jobs when I get back from the gym in the morning then usually at lunch then again at dinner, but mainly was wondering if gaming that much could effect my weight loss even though I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week for 1 hr+

Deleted
    1. cardio and such is not an effective way to burn weight
    2. it comes down to diet
    3. increasing muscle mass will ultimately lead to better fat burning while consumption .. as well as using your body fat for energy
    4. diet > sleep > lifting > cardio

With this being said .. im a pretty hardcore gym guy .. 3hr training sessions 5-6 days a week .. and i maintain a strict healthy delicious diet ..
    the best way to lose weight and become a healthier you is by changing your diet sleeping min 8 hours .. and building solid muscle mass .
    people assume cardio and such things are this key but in toon if you are extremely overweight yes your body will lose weight simply by running but if you are the average joe this is not the case .!!!
    So hit the gym hard .. high rep medium weight .. first build those muscles .. More muscle built = more fat burned as energy ... its simply awesome
    build your body as a whole and focus on every area in targetted sessions .. !!! this being said .. Raising your metabolism allows you to digest food faster take in more of the nutrition and burn more calories effectively !!! and to do this work your ass off .. losing weight is not something you can do half ass unless u have a high metabolism .. but you wouldnt be writing here if u did so ..!!! again Change your diet .... les starch simple carbs .. cut pasta grains dairy products sugars anything with artifical sweeteners or enhancers ... stay away from pre packaged eat made food ..
    general rule is .. it its not between the veggies and meats its probably not good for you .. as well u can cut pork the value of protein to fat isnt high enough

my diet .. consists of tuna and most fish .. salmon being huge .. eggs chicken steak shrimp wild meats such as elk moose rabbit/hare deer .. !!! crab ..
    beans all veggies all fruits .. rice .. and yes white rice is fine ... its a myth that white rice is bad for you .. it may not be as good as say brown but .. you'll still lose weight on it better and its .. better than grains or pasta .. !!! i suggest starting away from dairy as well ... substitue for soy or almond milks .... nuts are huge chow down .. almonds are a huge source of calories and so healthy !!! .. and as for meals itself . 5-7 meals the 3 big meals is bullshit .. if you want to lose fat increasing your metabolism by eating healthy and training your body needs foot every 2 hours min .. !!! if your looking to increase muscle size .. increase the protein carb rates .. but dont worry about that but yes .. feed your body .... one thing u can do is cardio in a fastened state meaning .. wake your ass up hit the gym early .. before you eat .. so all your body does is burn the fat energy thats stored .. !!! see james grage has all the info on '' THE FASTENED STATE'' .... again losing weight is all about what u put in .. no one says going to the gym for 3 hours is the key but .. working your ass off is the key .. you get back what you put in !!! ... if u have questions feel free to write me anytime . !!! 5

i started with this in May, Shortcut to Shred
    did it twice. Currently doing shortcut to size (2nd time)

my diet is IIFYM.

so far i weigh 73.6kg ( 162.3 lbs), started 81kg ( 178.5 lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    This is my current routine

7am: Wake up, go to the gym (only time I can get there with my mum, don't have a car anymore)
    8am: Breakfast
    8:30am-Lunch: Gaming
    Lunch-2pm: Usually watch shows
    2pm-Dinner: Gaming
    After Dinner-11-12: Gaming with friends

I still live at home and I look for jobs when I get back from the gym in the morning then usually at lunch then again at dinner, but mainly was wondering if gaming that much could effect my weight loss even though I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week for 1 hr+
    An hour in the gym 4 times a week isn't going to do much if you sit on your ass the other 164 hours out of the week. Break up the 15 hours gaming and eating with something.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    1. cardio and such is not an effective way to burn weight
    2. it comes down to diet
    3. increasing muscle mass will ultimately lead to better fat burning while consumption .. as well as using your body fat for energy
    4. diet > sleep > lifting > cardio

With this being said .. im a pretty hardcore gym guy .. 3hr training sessions 5-6 days a week .. and i maintain a strict healthy delicious diet ..
    the best way to lose weight and become a healthier you is by changing your diet sleeping min 8 hours .. and building solid muscle mass .
    people assume cardio and such things are this key but in toon if you are extremely overweight yes your body will lose weight simply by running but if you are the average joe this is not the case .!!!
    So hit the gym hard .. high rep medium weight .. first build those muscles .. More muscle built = more fat burned as energy ... its simply awesome
    build your body as a whole and focus on every area in targetted sessions .. !!! this being said .. Raising your metabolism allows you to digest food faster take in more of the nutrition and burn more calories effectively !!! and to do this work your ass off .. losing weight is not something you can do half ass unless u have a high metabolism .. but you wouldnt be writing here if u did so ..!!! again Change your diet .... les starch simple carbs .. cut pasta grains dairy products sugars anything with artifical sweeteners or enhancers ... stay away from pre packaged eat made food ..
    general rule is .. it its not between the veggies and meats its probably not good for you .. as well u can cut pork the value of protein to fat isnt high enough

my diet .. consists of tuna and most fish .. salmon being huge .. eggs chicken steak shrimp wild meats such as elk moose rabbit/hare deer .. !!! crab ..
    beans all veggies all fruits .. rice .. and yes white rice is fine ... its a myth that white rice is bad for you .. it may not be as good as say brown but .. you'll still lose weight on it better and its .. better than grains or pasta .. !!! i suggest starting away from dairy as well ... substitue for soy or almond milks .... nuts are huge chow down .. almonds are a huge source of calories and so healthy !!! .. and as for meals itself . 5-7 meals the 3 big meals is bullshit .. if you want to lose fat increasing your metabolism by eating healthy and training your body needs foot every 2 hours min .. !!! if your looking to increase muscle size .. increase the protein carb rates .. but dont worry about that but yes .. feed your body .... one thing u can do is cardio in a fastened state meaning .. wake your ass up hit the gym early .. before you eat .. so all your body does is burn the fat energy thats stored .. !!! see james grage has all the info on '' THE FASTENED STATE'' .... again losing weight is all about what u put in .. no one says going to the gym for 3 hours is the key but .. working your ass off is the key .. you get back what you put in !!! ... if u have questions feel free to write me anytime . !!! 5
    While 3 hour sessions are WAY too much (unless you get caught up talking to folks, lol) there is a ton of great information here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, your diet is way more important than your training when it comes to losing weight. But the health benefits from doing some cardio 2-3 times a week are too good to pass up. Train your cardiovascular system. If you're overweight, you might wanna walk/cycle/swim instead of run.

It's also good to seperate your cardio and strength training as much as possible if you want better results.

For diet, count calories and eat food that's as natural as possible.

Others have said it; but if you're not losing weight with your cardio routine (unless your 30 minutes of cardio is like... walking) it's 100% the fault of your diet (baring clinical issues).

Here's the thing about diet though. Eating "right" is certainly useful for a ton of things; especially if you're exercising regularly. The number one, absolute top thing about diet though is Calories In vs Calories Needed. Your body wants a certain amount of calories per day to maintain exactly where you're at. If you feed it less than it wants, it will eat at your lean muscle and fat stores. That's where your proper eating comes in-- you want to lose the fat while retaining as much lean muscle mass as possible. If you're just focusing on losing the weight, though, you need to change how much you eat.

I'm not a nutritionist or anything, so I can't tell you just how accurate this is; but this website here helped me an awful lot: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/...-requirements/

Following the advice given I've personally lost weight by simply watching the amount of food I eat in a day but not really changing what foods I eat.

To really do this you need to start counting calories. There's a hell of a lot of easy ways to do that now-a-days too. MyFitnessPal is an excellent smart phone app that'll do 90% of the work for you. Type in what you ate, it'll spit out the calories. Do it for just a couple days without changing your habits and you'll realize just how much you're eating. Doing so will help you change those habits. It'll also help you kick habits like idly snacking and drinking soda because you'll be able to see just how many empty calories that is.

For example, 8oz of soda (or tea for that matter) is around 140 calories. That's 140 calories I could have had as food. Hell, that's TWO! of my favorite cookies. By cutting out 1 soda in a day, I get to eat two cookies. Or, I could say... eat more of my favorite food (like an extra slice of pizza!) because I drank nothing but water during the day.

Do this long enough and your body WILL adjust and you will, over time, lose weight.
    Last edited by Jonexe; 2015-03-05 at 04:57 AM.

Deleted
    What kind of tea has 140 calories in it ? How much spoons of sugar is in it ?
    Black tea is close to 0 calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendizerx View Post
    What kind of tea has 140 calories in it ? How much spoons of sugar is in it ?
    Black tea is close to 0 calories.
    Premade teas that you commonly find in soda machines or bottles; not ones that you brew at home. I threw that in there because I know a few people that do the "well tea is so much better for you than soda!" thing not realizing that if it comes from a syrup mix in a soda machine, it's not any better for you.

Deleted
    Compound compound compound! Just focus compound execises

Day1: Back and biceps
    Day2: Shoulders, legs and abs
    Day3: Chest and triceps

keep the cycle rotating for at least three weeks

7+ Year Old Account
    Since I started January 1st I gave up diet soda, pasta and bread. I've eaten healthy and stayed around 1200 calories a day and walk 2 miles on the treadmill and swim about a half mile in laps in the pool. My exercise is all first thing in the morning and I have still seen amazing results. Consistency is the key
    (Kylan and Xanthe on Avalon, www.avalon-rpg.com, since 1996)

Deleted
    5x5 stronglifts on mon, wed and Fri... 20 min of hiit or prowler work on tues and thurs... Drop alcohol completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aryianna View Post
    Since I started January 1st I gave up diet soda, pasta and bread. I've eaten healthy and stayed around 1200 calories a day and walk 2 miles on the treadmill and swim about a half mile in laps in the pool. My exercise is all first thing in the morning and I have still seen amazing results. Consistency is the key
    1200 a day? Are you a woman or a 4 foot manlet?

I moved into a smaller apartment closer to work and ride my bike three to five days a week depending on weather. I'm in walking distance of the local LA Fitness, so I go there three days a week and do the Stronglifts 5x5 workout. I like SL5 because it's simple. TBH, I'm not going to remember all the exercises, weights, pyramids, etc in a hardcore chest/arms workout. I can remember to do squat, bench, bent-over row on one day and squat, overhead press, deadlift on the next. Since I'm in weight loss mode, it makes more sense for me to focus on building large muscle groups. Besides, I like doing squat.

I increased my water intake by keeping a half-gallon pitcher of water near my desk at work which I fill up and drink every day. It helps, but I end up peeing like crazy. I've reduced my animal-based protein by about 30% and made it up with plant-based. I'll shave another 20% off soon. On days where I substitute plant-based protein for animal-based, I notice that I eat a larger number of vegetables, aside from the protein.

I also started a journal, where I write down what I eat, when I feel urges to eat, when I feel hungry, and when I notice my energy level changes. It's something my doctor suggested when we were discussing my obesity problem and how to deal with it.