Is there a max number of followers?

So I've been wondering about the Tavern level 2 that allows you to recruit followers.

Is this unlimited?

Will they be known names or some random named character?

What happens when you run out? Can you dump some and replace them?

You can have as many as you want, but only 20 active ones (25 with a level 3 barracks). After you get your 21st you'll have to deactivate one at the mission table before you can go on any more missions with them. I believe there is a finite amount and if you pick one up with your barracks as often as possible you'll eventually run out.

The followers you get from the Inn are totally random characters, basically no name heros. Their abilities are random and so are the names apparently.

This means you can get 70 odd extra followers before the end of the xpac (18 months assumed) ontop of what you can get via quests and such that are in game now.

Pretty much once you get your A Team and B Teams sorted out, you no longer need any new folowers until blizz adds in new stuff for them to do, new encounter types/abilities etc. Also after some time, you stop needing Scavenger followers as you have more GR's than you can possibly spend after level 3'ing everything and having 5k stockpiled for 'I need to swap to XYZ to make XYZ or for money making cos the market just went nuts'.

I woul sugest, later on in the xpac, to dump all excess GR's over say 7k into the exp potions and stockpile the hell out of them. No other use for them really (GRs) at that point.