Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

[Confirmed] Garrisons won't stick around after WoD.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-future-of...rcraft/#page-2
    “In some ways,” Chilton says, “I wish we had kept some features bound to the expansions they lived in to make room for more innovation without players feeling like we were taking something away.” He points to the Archaeology profession introduced in Cataclysm as an example; he wishes they’d removed it in time for Mists of Pandaria. It’s a practice he intends to follow in the future. The garrisons introduced in the upcoming Warlords of Draenor expansion, for instance, won’t carry over to whatever comes next.
    And there it is. We've heard rumors but haven't had an actual confirmation until now, as far as I know anyway. Personally, I think that's a horrible decision and hope there's still time for them to change their mind about it, I am aware of the fact that Garrisons take long to develop but that shouldn't be an excuse not to include it in the future expansions, especially considering we're investing so much time and gold into them at the moment. I wish they would give us level 4,5,6, increased plot size, new buildings, followers and increase the follower cap instead but meh.

Discuss!
    Last edited by Adoxe; 2014-11-25 at 04:41 PM.

All that time and resources wasted away.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    It isn't very surprising.

They will likely use the tech they developed for Garrisons and create something even better. Similar to the Farm --> Garrison improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-future-of...rcraft/#page-2

And there it is. We've heard rumors but haven't had an actual confirmation until now, as far as I know anyway. Personally, I think that's a horrible decision and hope there's still time for them to change their mind about it, I am aware of the fact that Garrisons take long to develop but that shouldn't be an excuse not to include it in the future expansions, especially considering we're investing so much time and gold into them at the moment. I wish they would give us level 4,5,6, increased plot size, new buildings, followers and increase the follower cap instead but meh.

Discuss!
    How is your day going?

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly thought they were gonna keep and expand on it given its success. Of course there is room for improvement. I was hoping for race themed buildings undead looks like undercity etc.

Well, unless we are staying on this alternate Draenor, how would your garrison follow?

15+ Year Old Account
    I would personally expect that our current garrisons would not carry over, but I would be surprised if the Garrison as a feature stayed only within Draenor.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre72 View Post
    How is your day going?
    Ehh... Not the best, haven't had much sleep. No idea what's that got to do with anything, let's stay on topic! :P

This garrison will go away, just like the farm "went away".

The tech won't. As the tech develops we could get player or guild houses etc etc. Who knows, but the tech and what they learned doesn't go away.

I'm pretty sure this was said awhile ago. I remember it definitely was in an interview months back. Anyway, just cause garrisons won't carry over doesn't mean they won't use the tech to introduce something similar. I wouldn't say that all the time and resources have been wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

My humble opinion (not necessarily pointed at you...) if some have that mentality that it is a waste of time, isn't his raid tier just a waste because the next one will be out so on and so forth.
    | I5 2500k @ 4.3GHZ 1.33v | Corsair Veng. 1600 DDR3 | Corsair H60| Asus p8z68-v |
    | XFX R9 280x DD| CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair 750 Modular | Razer Naga Molten|

Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    Well, unless we are staying on this alternate Draenor, how would your garrison follow?
    I doubt the portal would remain closed, obviously we've gotta go back to our timeline at some point (lore-wise). Our followers could decide to go back to our world with us seeing as how they won't really have much to do on Draenor once the dust settles down.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    I would personally expect that our current garrisons would not carry over, but I would be surprised if the Garrison as a feature stayed only within Draenor.
    This, I like Garrisons and if Blizzard didn't continue them into future expansions, even if we had to rebuild them, I wouldn't be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    All that time and resources wasted away.
    They made it, and then they've gotten really paid for their efforts. We will use the hell out of them for a year.

Wasted? Fanboy of the complain game imo.
    Wedge: "You know, the Imps on Coruscant used to call two Corellians together a conspiracy. Three they’d call a fight."
    Corran: "More fools they, then. Any Corellian knows three of us together is a victory."

Deleted
    Disappointing

It is a good thing that they will not be carried over. I think players are already seeing them as a pretty uninteresting. There was a rush of intrigue at first to be sure, but as time goes by it become quite clear they are merely an administrative chore. From a quality perspective garrisons are garbage. However they are wonderfully addictive in they they quite accurately stimulate the part of each wow player's brain that keeps drawing them back. For that reason alone I am a bit surprised to see Blizzard distance themselves this early on in the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping for guild Garrisons with pvp siege battles.

This is all silly. Just like the farm wasnt carrier over but was the basis for garrisons i am sure garrisons will give birth to something new.
    Wow constantly evolves and add things. So while next expansion we might not have to go back to this garrison you can be sure they will have something new that they evolved from it.

it will go away because its likely a bigger stress on the servers than they anticipated. but I would expect somethign similar to me introduced next exp, because honestly, the made like 120 new buildings, spent tons of resources on it and delayed whole WoD thanks to overall buggyness of garrisons to not make the most of it in following expansions. but if it wasnt the main selling point after the delays and cuts from the whole WoD (capitals, farahlon, tanaan to name a few), I wouldnt have been suprised if they were cut out of WoD like path of the titans out of cata...

Such a waste. Really don't understand this mentality.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."