Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Here's my opinion, an officer in a semi-hardcore guild that looks at all of these applications and their accompanying screenshot.

What is actually being looked at is how you set up your shit, not what specific addons you're using. I don't (really) care about if you use DBM over BigWigs, or Recount over Skada, or Shadowed Unit Frames over Pitbull, or TellMeWhen over Weakauras. What I care about is what information you have decided to put at a glance. I'd much rather see the default UI with some intelligent Weakauras that show me you know your class and what things you should be watching, over a clean, well-designed UI with no procs shown, boss timers, etc.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    I use the default ui, i have used elvui or whatever its called and some other one. I couldnt take it, i was back to the default ui after a few hours. Theres nothing any ui can offer that the default ui doesnt, any guild that thinks otherwise, is simply not good enough to have me.

Ive been in all sorts of guilds, top 5 in the server(stormrage us btw), leveling, casual, pvp, and i have never been asked about my ui.
    I use default on some of my alts, but most of my main toons I raid with I use Bartender. And yes, it can offer more than than default, simply because you can still set it out exactly like the default, resize it, add an extra bar etc. Default you are stuck in place and limited to a set number of bars. Ive tried elv etc, I dont really like them. I prefer simplistic and easy to get to bar addon which is what bartender does, I can add my bars and move whichever I need to where I want. My usual setup is 2 bars middle of the bottom region for main rotational abilities, with another single bar further to the very bottom to manage flasks, potions and the like, and 2-3 block bars/side bars for utility stuff.

For OP, id suggest just using bartender and removing the blizzard art bar if you like keeping it the way it is. Changes nothing in terms of use, just removes the art part, which can be put back on in a couple of clicks anyway later on.

Blizz standard ui has become pretty good. Things are movable by default now (no move anything required). What you need to add is castbars and timers (things like tellmewhen, quartz, or if you want to pro, gnosis).
    The raid frames are totally ok for healers, i have been running with it for some time (mostly due to laziness), most important things are displayed well. But i personally prefer grid because of customizable auras, and standard ui is laziness ( i have been lazy since like a year of soo )

And getting good customized weak / powa auras for procs / trinkets / debuffs /important boss abilities is like the most important thing.
    A global cd monitor and some channeling increment bar, and for melees a swingtimer should be in every raiders ui.

Stuff like dooms cooldown pulse (stuff like this is featured in many combat text addons) should be in there too.

If you use the blizzard playerframe /focus/target frame, moved to a more central and visible space the lower center or some pitbull or whatever doesnt really matter in your opinion. IF it is in the far left upper corner of your 45 inch screen, than u have a problem. Turning your head to see your hp and runes aint good idea.

I suppose this is the main problem: As a dk u want to have your runetracking and runic power stuff on top.

And a boss mod is recommended, as timers give you valuable information to be prepared.
    Reacting to stuff that happened is worse to proacting ina prepared and thought out way to what will happen. Thats what bossmods are for.

AND if you are very elite you can use a framework like ouf, and can hide your actionbars and play with a very cool clean ui, with timers and evertything from addons.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    And what if they still perform? What if you have, concrete logs and have him on trial - to see that he actually performs just as he should?

You are effectively doing nothing but sounding pretencious and spouting biggotry at that point.
    And you're sounding angry and spiteful. Nothing I said was pretentious or bigoted. Screenshots, log and applications are all the guild has to go by if they don't know you. With the new cross realm raiding, tryouts are actually a lot easier. We try to minimize failed trials, which also includes race change and server transfer fees, because that can be rough on a lot of people.

Good logs? Sure we'll interview and look further. OK logs and bad UI? We might interview and if you sound like you don't take criticism well then you have no chance. Let me repeat, if I give you constructive criticism and you don't like what you hear and refuse to even accept the possibility that your way might be wrong, then you have little chance of making it into the guild. That's not elitist on the part of the guild, that's elitist on the part of the applicant.

Again, this is stuff, just like applying for a job in the real world, this is stuff you need to do to look good before you get the job/trial. You don't show up to an interview in jeans and a t-shirt, you don't include grammatical mistakes in your CV, and when the guild app says provide a link to your logs your answer isn't "I'm always top of the meter." A lot of guilds looking to progress aren't being pretentious when they ask for these things they're looking for better than what they have, with minimal investment from both sides in case of failure. If you can't provide any reassurance during the application process, why should either side waste time and effort?

http://i.imgur.com/N3xEFEl.png

This is my UI.

I was accepted into a couple well ranked guilds.

Any guild that prizes how clean your UI is over your intelligence and logs is not worth your time in the long run. They don't know whats worth looking for and may miss a few wonderful recruits.

Is this really a thing? If a guild rejects you for your default UI + addons, they're probably not the guild you want to be in.

Deleted
    I'm a healer in a fairly serious, but also fairly laid back guild (with SoO still pretty decent heroic progress in decent time), but I pretty much use as little addons as I barely can. I just don't trust em anymore when I've had some issues and errors. As I heal though, I get pretty far with the raid frames cos they are now pretty good and with pretty sophisticated macros. It's really the macros that counter my need for most addons.

I do have WeakAuras, but I dont really use em. DBM, Recount mostly. I have things bound to my Belkin n52te (Nowadays known as Razer Nostromo), but then I've also countered the need for CD monitors by dragging the things "again" on the upper bar so that I can easily monitor the CDs from there.

I won't lie, it probably isn't the most optimal, but it's not just lazyness, I just dislike addons (and would never consider a full UI pack, my friend uses elvUI and I cant understand how he can take that crap). But the good thing is that nothing breaks when blizz patches something. And after over half a decade of healing in more or less this fashion, I can track my CDs and other things just fine cos I've worked the default UI to counter the things most people use addons for. Its clean and the only thing I miss in my UI atm is seeing other persons equipped ilvl
    Last edited by mmoca22428f18d; 2014-12-01 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    most addons are a crutch. people rely on them instead of thinking for themselves, so they dont learn how to adapt, or how to react to new situations unless an addon tells them to.....
    DING DING DING! We have ourselves a winner.

It's the weak players who rely on addons as "necessary." Not the other way around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailthas View Post
    And you're sounding angry and spiteful. Nothing I said was pretentious or bigoted. Screenshots, log and applications are all the guild has to go by if they don't know you. With the new cross realm raiding, tryouts are actually a lot easier. We try to minimize failed trials, which also includes race change and server transfer fees, because that can be rough on a lot of people.

Good logs? Sure we'll interview and look further. OK logs and bad UI? We might interview and if you sound like you don't take criticism well then you have no chance. Let me repeat, if I give you constructive criticism and you don't like what you hear and refuse to even accept the possibility that your way might be wrong, then you have little chance of making it into the guild. That's not elitist on the part of the guild, that's elitist on the part of the applicant.

Again, this is stuff, just like applying for a job in the real world, this is stuff you need to do to look good before you get the job/trial. You don't show up to an interview in jeans and a t-shirt, you don't include grammatical mistakes in your CV, and when the guild app says provide a link to your logs your answer isn't "I'm always top of the meter." A lot of guilds looking to progress aren't being pretentious when they ask for these things they're looking for better than what they have, with minimal investment from both sides in case of failure. If you can't provide any reassurance during the application process, why should either side waste time and effort?
    In the world of having no experience, being pretty much no-body and having NOTHING to offer the guild - Then, yes, you would be 100% correct.

But that's not how real-life nor raiding applications works, is it?

If i show up to a job interview, and i happen to be bill-freaking gates, i can very well so just sit in t-shirt and jeans as much as i damn please. Because, guess what, my merits are just that awesome.

That is an extreme case, though - More likely, on the other hand, i'm not gonna have to pull my best to impress you, if i actually KNOW what i can do and what i am worth.

That does not leave me being elitist as the player, that leaves me as being a person who KNOWS what he is doing - And will not be "critizied" in what YOU percieve is a "constructive" manner. If i come in as a senior programmer, with 20 years of programming experience and having built several extremely successfull products - I will NOT see it justified, as whatever company you are - to have you question my authority and try to level critique at me, just because YOU view it "constructive".

If i can perform my job, well and beyond the requirement - You do not have a single point of Constructive RELEVANT critique. If i can outprogram you and make your company gain 2000 billions just by being there ; what's it gonna matter if i sit there in T-shirt and jeans?

At the end of the day, you are trying to defend something called biggotry. Intolerance, just because whatever reason you see fit - And you are very damn well right, in that i angry and spiteful towards people who yield such an idea or that it much less is "Refined Logic".

Because it's not. It NEVER, IS - You are trying to lie to yourself, and me included - And have me believe this mucked up idea, of you coming to me and saying "Best get on your knees and prove yourself - But not only that, be pleasing towards my demands" - Any player worth his salt, will tell you to shove it right up your behind - Because any player worth his salt, would frankly find it INSULTING that you would level such critique at someone - And thinking you are right in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    At the end of the day, you are trying to defend something called biggotry.
    I'm pretty sure it's the guilds that are being the bigots, not the players wanting to play with a user interface they're comfortable with and from which they can get the job done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kungen used Blizzard UI at one point. So basically if one of the top raiders of his time used Blizzard UI, then I really don't see why GM's of guilds need to force their personal preference of UI, it just sounds like bigotry to me. I use Blizzard UI and still perform to the best of my ability and what's expected of me.

Kungen using Default UI. -gasp.-

http://i.imgur.com/i1fOt.jpg

There's nothing wrong with it OP. Fuck 'em
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2014-12-01 at 07:53 AM.

http://i.imgur.com/vRsHh9h.jpg

Is what i used to raid with. I got all kinds of shit for it.

Deleted
    The problem usually is that people have all frames at default positions. Having player/target/focus frames
    at the edges of your screen make you far more likely to be standing on fire when shit gets intense.

Important stuff = close to your character
    Other stuff = at edges of your screen

It's not about how the information is shown, its where you find it from. It's not personal preference,
    it's just much more efficient and convenient to have the information closer to your character, which
    you should be able to pay attention to at all times.

Organization. It's not about relying on crutches, it's about removing the need to look at every corner of your screen and consolidating that information, so you can spend more time making decisions and looking at the game world (so you can do things like move out of fire).

Can you do this with the default UI? Of course. But it is less optimal. (If you don't like that statement, picture taking all the gauges and information in your car and putting 1/3 of it in the top-left corner of the windshield, 1/3 in the top-right, and leaving the final 1/3 where it is.... is that going to work as well? Same information, same processes required, but now you have additional places to look to get that information.

Not everyone organizes information the same, and not everyone processes it the same; that's why addons exist, and why I feel they should exist. They let everyone optimize their UI, so everyone is playing with their own ideal.

Perhaps your ideal is the default; if so, congratulations! I don't understand how that could be the case, but then I'm not you. The down side, of course, is that you now look identical to the person who's too lazy to optimize their UI, and both of you look identical to the person who's never stopped to consider the question, so has no idea if they might be able to improve their performance just be dragging some of that information out of the corners and putting it somewhere else.

On the flip side, if your numbers and your performance are good, any decent guild should be able to see that, and not care about your UI. I'd never ask for a screenshot of a UI myself; so long as you have the tools you need to get the job done, I don't particularly care about how. But arguing that there is no difference is essentially arguing that layout makes no difference to anything, which is foolish at best; instead, argue that you personally see no difference in your own performance, and so stick with the default UI for your own reasons.

Most ui addons i've used decreased My performance. Having too much shit nar the center of your screen blocks your view. I always place My ui in the edges of My screen, so I can see what is going on Arround me

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeafmuncher View Post
    The problem usually is that people have all frames at default positions. Having player/target/focus frames
    at the edges of your screen make you far more likely to be standing on fire when shit gets intense.

Important stuff = close to your character
    Other stuff = at edges of your screen

It's not about how the information is shown, its where you find it from. It's not personal preference,
    it's just much more efficient and convenient to have the information closer to your character, which
    you should be able to pay attention to at all times.
    or, OR, I just use my peripherals while watching whatever is relevant at the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    or, OR, I just use my peripherals while watching whatever is relevant at the time.
    Your character and positioning is ALWAYS relevant. So when you have to decurse, dispel an enrage, interrupt etc. if you look
    away from your character you are not playing well.

OP, could you perhaps link your UI? I honestly doubt anyone actually declines someone based on their UI, especially not if they're a tank.

Then again you haven't made a single post since you made this thread so it feels like this is some kind of bait.

I could have swore Elvui just came with your game download nowadays, installed by the battle.net launcher itself. Silly me

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Kungen used Blizzard UI at one point. So basically if one of the top raiders of his time used Blizzard UI, then I really don't see why GM's of guilds need to force their personal preference of UI, it just sounds like bigotry to me. I use Blizzard UI and still perform to the best of my ability and what's expected of me.

Kungen using Default UI. -gasp.-

http://i.imgur.com/i1fOt.jpg

There's nothing wrong with it OP. Fuck 'em
    Thats default ui with some modification: grid as a unitframe, some castbars, and some player / target/ focus frames, and a boss debuff frame. And things put into worthwhile positions.

So basically default in kungens ui in this scrreenie is the actionbar and the minimap. But with nowadays blizz ui, u can make it VERY similar to this layout style, which is probably the best.

I really want to see a screenshot of ops ui