Downgrading case size and upgrading the pc ?

Alrighty here are my current pc specs. I bought this pc 3-4 years ago for 1k via price matches at frys electronics.

Mobo: Asus p8p67 pro
    CPU: i7 2600k 1155 socket
    memory: corsair vengeance 8gb
    gpu: radeon hd 6970
    psu: Corsair 850 watt
    case: cooler master haf 932 fullsize

I am wanting to downsize to a micro atx because my pc case is just too big. I only use 1 gpu, and plan on sticking with 16gb of ram. The smaller form factor just seems more effective and still allows me to basically have a full size gaming rig in a small compact package. I would like to liquid cool for the first time as well since PC is now my only platform.

The proposed parts are here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8XzWP6

Now, I would like to keep my PSU, CD drive, and HD. Is it worth to upgrade to a 4790k from a 2600k, and get a new motherboard with it. I could just save my CPU and get a new mobo. It would save me a significant amount, but I dont know if the socket is too old or not up to date. My knowledge of specifics and data are slim and only have a rough knowledge of PC components to set up a pc from building to software install and use.

The parts list I have, would it be a significant upgrade or a tiny one, along with being more form friendly in factor?

edit: Liquid cooling would be more effective for a smaller case like this, but how big will the liquid components be?

Why Micro-ATX? You can really go small and get a mini-itx motherboard and case.
    As for your question with liquid cooling, they generally take about the same space as a regular aftermarket cooler, but just move the parts around. I have a Corsair H80i on my cpu and the radiator is just as big as my old air cooler, but the block on the CPU allows me to not worry about if my ram will fit or not.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Why Micro-ATX? You can really go small and get a mini-itx motherboard and case.
    As for your question with liquid cooling, they generally take about the same space as a regular aftermarket cooler, but just move the parts around. I have a Corsair H80i on my cpu and the radiator is just as big as my old air cooler, but the block on the CPU allows me to not worry about if my ram will fit or not.
    Well, that is very true. However, do I lose anything by going with an even smaller form factor? The most I would use is 2 monitors at all. I wanna run 60fps 1080p. Is there any site that could help me explain all the tech speeds, features and such? I dont like asking for help unless I'm clueless somewhat.

edit: should i keep my i7? I dont see anything wrong with it at all and its kind of a wasted cost. I could save 3-400 in total for the upgrades/ downsize
    Last edited by Alex1996P; 2014-12-02 at 10:33 PM.

If you are just running 1 graphics card, you aren't losing anything. Your i7 is fine, you probably wont notice much of an improvement with a 4xxx i7. I went from a 2700k to my 4770k and it wasn't a big difference at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1996P View Post
    Well, that is very true. However, do I lose anything by going with an even smaller form factor?
    You'd probably have to get a new PSU and possibly a new optical drive to go with a mini-ITX case.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

If you are just running 1 graphics card, you aren't losing anything. Your i7 is fine, you probably wont notice much of an improvement with a 4xxx i7. I went from a 2700k to my 4770k and it wasn't a big difference at all.
    Gotcha I will stick with my 2600k then. I was doing research on ddr4 ram and realizing it was now released. So, I would like to keep my 8gb of ram, keep my cpu, and buy a temporary motherboard for a 1155 socket in mini itx form. That way, when motherboards with ddr4 start becoming more popular, I can purchase one. Also, I heard a new line of intel processors will be coming out soon. So, the ddr4 motherboard with the new processor would be a much better long term upgrade. Dont you agree?

Would this be a smart choice? At this point I would just upgrade my videocard to a gtx 970, and pick up a SSD for my windows 7. I then plan on picking up windows 10 when it comes out this spring/ summer.

Also Masark, I thought that a full size psu and cd drive would fit into the bit fenix cases?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also Masark, I thought that a full size psu and cd drive would fit into the bit fenix cases?
    AFAICT, all of Bitfenix's mini-ITX cases (the Prodigy M, Phenom, and Colossus mini-ITX) are just interior variants of their microATX cases, with identical exterior dimensions, so you're not gaining any space savings by going with a mini-ITX board over a microATX with those cases.

A gaming-suitable mini-ITX-only case, like the Silverstone SG07, for example, is less than half the size of the Bitfenix cases. This is the kind of case I was talking about whne I said "would require PSU and optical drive replacement". This case saves space by using a custom small PSU and slim optical drive. But it still provides enough power and space for high-end videocards.

Though there are also somewhat larger (about 2/3rds the size of the Bit fenix cases) ITX-only cases, like the Cooler Master Elite 120 and 130 that will give you both a standard optical drive and standard power supply.

It depends on which you want more, either saving more space or keeping existing parts.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-12-03 at 01:05 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You'd probably have to get a new PSU and possibly a new optical drive to go with a mini-ITX case.
    Most (if not all) of the mini-itx cases I have seen support standard power supplies. In fact, I have never seen one in person that doesn't support standard power supplies. The only ones I know of are Shuttle kits.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    The ITX Prodigy actually needs a shorter PSU to fit in the cage that is designated for it. Usually in order of 140mm max length (before connectors). This length is found on a lot of lower wattage units. I believe the 850W would be too long for the cage to be properly setup without really cramping wires etc.

If a source is needed for what I am talking about, I believe it is mentioned in the review by OC3D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Well, that is very true. However, do I lose anything by going with an even smaller form factor? The most I would use is 2 monitors at all. I wanna run 60fps 1080p. Is there any site that could help me explain all the tech speeds, features and such? I dont like asking for help unless I'm clueless somewhat.

edit: should i keep my i7? I dont see anything wrong with it at all and its kind of a wasted cost. I could save 3-400 in total for the upgrades/ downsize
    You would have to be much more careful about component selection with mini ITX boards if you choose a matching ITX case.

- - - Updated - - -

Most (if not all) of the mini-itx cases I have seen support standard power supplies. In fact, I have never seen one in person that doesn't support standard power supplies. The only ones I know of are Shuttle kits.
    If they all did, there would have been no need for SFX form factor.