Thread: Holy VS Disc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by decnalabnu View Post
    there's a mortal strike debuff on the breath, like 99% reduced healing taken.
    Ah yes yes! When I was reading about that in the strats it got me excited because its a perfect place for CoW and disc bubbles!

our margok kill: warcraftlogs.com/reports/JBKYyXpwx2HzVMZF

should have gone words of mending but I was too tired to notice.

edit video: youtube.com/watch?v=7852mNKrRBI

intentionally muted
    Last edited by decnalabnu; 2014-12-04 at 04:24 PM.

our margok kill: warcraftlogs.com/reports/JBKYyXpwx2HzVMZF

should have gone words of mending but I was too tired to notice.
    Is CoW really not worth it? Also, if your main healing ability is PW:S, how come you are favouring crit over mastery? (honest question, not flaming)

I was just going off some stat weights I had looked at. My mastery is ahead of my crit by a decent margin so I tried to catch up my crit to make them both more valuable. I think if fights continue in the same vein as Margok I might just stack mastery to max my average shield.

It's only 7 bosses so I haven't gotten a good feel for what I like yet.

I really like clarity of will but the damage on that fight is pretty insignificant on tanks until the last intermission -> last phase adds. I feel like cast so many shields that WoM would have just been better.

Alright, thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    Seriously get of your high horse. there are loads of guilds out there that were 10 man for the past few years and do not have 20 people yet.
    I said I forgot that there are casual groups that do not want to raid mythic at all and are sub20.

There is no holy vs disc, there is only holy + disc, these 2 specs compliment eachother so well.

Especially during aoe dmg, when discs pop spirit shell and holy goes ape on aoe heals, it's beautiful to watch healthbars get covered by disc, and filled up by holies.

Do you not see it?

Not to mention the sweet PoMbarding, which turns into an orchestra of holy bells, and a nice inbetween "connector" of heals.
    I'm not saying PoM is great or anything, but when everything falls in place, PoM acts as a glue that fills out gaps before waves of healing hit the raid, so it does have its uses.
    Last edited by KevyB; 2014-12-05 at 10:50 AM.

Deleted
    Atm iam playing disci in Raid (5/7 HC down) , but iam not a 100% happy.
    When you check Warcraftlogs , you see disci everywhere, which kinda pushes me away from speccing holy and getting my stats right.

In my opinion, the holy playstyle sounds bit more fun, BUT dropping down from 2nd Place overall in healing (vs Druid , Shaman, Pally, Monk) to last, just because of Spec , is kinda a dealbreaker.

Sure, atm iam getting used to my new officer role(is my first raid as offi), shouting CDs to everyone + learning the bosses + playing my class, so maybe in 1 week or two, everything would run a bit more smoothly.

But:

On every AOE -Fight like Twins or Tectus iam always, behind our MW-Monk(stupid revival ) and now iam asking myself: is holy better in those AOE-Fights in generell? Or is Warcraftlogs, kinda right.. atm easier to be disci > holy , then holy > disci.

I dont wanna be first in healmeters, but i think disci needs a bit more understanding/practising of bosses (proactiv healing) than holy.

For example yesterday at twins i caught myself spamming POH in Quake - Phase, just because i missed the "perfect" time to pervent the damage.

In those fights i dont find anytime to use CoW, beside the pull and some minor "only tank gets dmg phase" , so it just try to spam PW:S as much as psb.
    --> will change CoW for Mending, for raids, i guess , because with all the movement there is so less time.

So iam kinda stuck in between, trying holy and investing some gold, for reroll/gems/enchants or stay disci and just getting used to instance/officer job etc.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying?

Deleted
    Disc felt the best on all 6 of the heroic fights we did last night.

I think it's fine even without a disc. We did 2 runs, one with a disc, one without and both went well.

Deleted
    Main reason i been disc is because of the tank healing. With the damage tanks take and aoe phases its just nice to have someone focus on tank healing while others cover the raid (both helping out here and there still when possible). I find holy more fun but i also want to clear raids and do what is best for the team. So until we got our possible holy paladin incoming i be staying that way. Tho on normal i found holy too be better on ko'ragh, will see on heroic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    Especially during aoe dmg, when discs pop spirit shell and holy goes ape on aoe heals, it's beautiful to watch healthbars get covered by disc, and filled up by holies.
    I've yet to use Spirit Shell. I probably won't until I get the 4p in Blackrock Foundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Declade View Post
    Atm iam playing disci in Raid (5/7 HC down) , but iam not a 100% happy.
    When you check Warcraftlogs , you see disci everywhere, which kinda pushes me away from speccing holy and getting my stats right.

In my opinion, the holy playstyle sounds bit more fun, BUT dropping down from 2nd Place overall in healing (vs Druid , Shaman, Pally, Monk) to last, just because of Spec , is kinda a dealbreaker.

Sure, atm iam getting used to my new officer role(is my first raid as offi), shouting CDs to everyone + learning the bosses + playing my class, so maybe in 1 week or two, everything would run a bit more smoothly.

But:

On every AOE -Fight like Twins or Tectus iam always, behind our MW-Monk(stupid revival ) and now iam asking myself: is holy better in those AOE-Fights in generell? Or is Warcraftlogs, kinda right.. atm easier to be disci > holy , then holy > disci.

I dont wanna be first in healmeters, but i think disci needs a bit more understanding/practising of bosses (proactiv healing) than holy.

For example yesterday at twins i caught myself spamming POH in Quake - Phase, just because i missed the "perfect" time to pervent the damage.

In those fights i dont find anytime to use CoW, beside the pull and some minor "only tank gets dmg phase" , so it just try to spam PW:S as much as psb.
    --> will change CoW for Mending, for raids, i guess , because with all the movement there is so less time.

So iam kinda stuck in between, trying holy and investing some gold, for reroll/gems/enchants or stay disci and just getting used to instance/officer job etc.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying?
    My guild is 4/6 heroic and I play a holy priest. I am always right behind the disc priest in healing and I beat out druids. But sometimes holy pallies beat me.

I think in Mythic Holy will be > disc. I think right now disc is mitigating so much damage and there isnt that much to heal in my experience. I think where there is so much more raid damage holy will be far supirior then disc. Especially in blackrock foundry when the 4pc comes out holy will basically turn into a disc in a way with all the PoM's on targets taking the incomming damage.

Idk just my thought. Im sticking to Holy because I think in the long run it will be better. Also im still second on healing meters atm and doing great raid healing so I dont really mind.

The more I read on this topic the more I think its the age old Tank v Raid healing. I don't really see how you can compare the two, Disc isn't broken like it was.

Healing really does depend on your raid, skill level, difficulty level, other healers skil and class even personal play style. Like back in 40 man days if you were a dedicated Tank healer, then you go disc, if its raid its holy.

Like Kevyb said, the two compliment each other really well, I bet top guilds that run two healing priests have one of each.

As posted above. Disc is bar none the best Tank healer in the game. CoW is amazing.

That coupled with being able to blanket PW:S quickly on groups for cheap mana is also fantastic.

While most people dislike the style of play, it is what it is. And its effective.

You prevent the damage, let the Monks, Druids, Shamans, and Paladins heal it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    There is no holy vs disc, there is only holy + disc, these 2 specs compliment eachother so well.

Do you not see it?

Not to mention the sweet PoMbarding, which turns into an orchestra of holy bells, and a nice inbetween "connector" of heals.
    I'm not saying PoM is great or anything, but when everything falls in place, PoM acts as a glue that fills out gaps before waves of healing hit the raid, so it does have its uses.
    The thing is ; no one can cover the raids healthbars as well as a disc. A holypaladin with shield's isn't going to cut it. So unless disc priests have very underwhelming aoe healing and are unplayable I believe people will keep opting for disc instead of holy because holy is just doing what mistweavers or resto druids are already doing fine.

Deleted
    At the moment Disc is a bit better than holy concerning HPS. Problem is: there are usually low dmg phases in a fight.

During these phases disc is great...yay. But when you need healing it simply falls behind all other specs at the moment.

Do you you want your real healers to save mana... take disc. A disc priest won't save the raid in burst dmg phases... monks, druids, holy priests... they do the work.

And: Paladins are simply better tank healers since they heal 2 tanks... disc only one. At the moment there is no reason to bring more than 1 disc to raid... and it is not mandatory like in mop.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    At the moment Disc is a bit better than holy concerning HPS. Problem is: there are usually low dmg phases in a fight.

During these phases disc is great...yay. But when you need healing it simply falls behind all other specs at the moment.

Do you you want your real healers to save mana... take disc. A disc priest won't save the raid in burst dmg phases... monks, druids, holy priests... they do the work.

And: Paladins are simply better tank healers since they heal 2 tanks... disc only one. At the moment there is no reason to bring more than 1 disc to raid... and it is not mandatory like in mop.
    Healing is about team work, and Disc simply works great in a team. They soften the blow so other HPS healers have less to heal, thats their intended job. No, they won't save a raid by themself, but arguably having 1 HPS and 1 absorb healer is better than 2 HPS healers, because they compliment each other. While 2 HPS healers will be essentially doing the same job, thus more likely wasted mana, 1 HPS healer and 1 absorb healer won't be. The absorb healer will be complimenting the HPS healer by making their life easier, and in Discs case watching the tanks as well so the raid healer won't have too.

You're argument is entirely detrimental, because your point is the very design purpose of Disc. Disc was nerfed from MoP to WoD so it would not be able to do competitve HPS ASWELL as absorb, so now it's more focused on being a support healer. It's job is no less important than a HPS healer, but it's not the same.

Tank healing is another argument altogether, but I'd personally rather have a Disc watch the tanks because their deaths are prevented more with padding. I've always had the PoV that prevention is better than recovery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Balthalzar View Post
    While 2 HPS healers will be essentially doing the same job, thus more likely wasted mana, 1 HPS healer and 1 absorb healer won't be.
    Actually good healers do not overheal hots or incoming heals. There are more than just a few addons helping to prevent that problem.

I see one point: disc can avoid a onehit kill since it increases the health pook of a player. That is good... that is the reason why raids bring one disc... but certainly not more.

But they bring 4 or 5 "heal"-healers... sooo in your opionion they do all the same job... and nonetheless they are needed since discs cannot deal with incoming damage. They are only support... that is as you mentioned designed by Blizzard.

You cannot start telling everyone: play disc... so much better bla bla...

It is not better, it is something different. Anc chanced you are benched for a hps a huge if you already have one disc in raid. This is not MOP anymore.

Actually good healers do not overheal hots or incoming heals. There are more than just a few addons helping to prevent that problem.

I see one point: disc can avoid a onehit kill since it increases the health pook of a player. That is good... that is the reason why raids bring one disc... but certainly not more.

But they bring 4 or 5 "heal"-healers... sooo in your opionion they do all the same job... and nonetheless they are needed since discs cannot deal with incoming damage. They are only support... that is as you mentioned designed by Blizzard.

You cannot start telling everyone: play disc... so much better bla bla...

It is not better, it is something different. Anc chanced you are benched for a hps a huge if you already have one disc in raid. This is not MOP anymore.
    No addon or "good healers" can prevent overheals as much as disc can. Though I agree with you, 1 disc is probably enough for a raid.

Deleted
    With how reliant Discipline is on PW:S at the moment you are better benching the second Discipline priest. The amount of Weakened Soul just makes it far too awkward.