Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Melee and Nromal Highmaul

Anyone else having difficulty getting into a Highmaul group as Melee? I tried numerous times last night even with a respectable Ilvl and had no luck. Everyone wants Ranged... some were even asking for Experience!

Just the last part of your post made me realise what complete fucktards most pug organisers are. Melee is at no disadvantage at all and do solid dps, its just a community perception and not one you will change quickly.

I dunno what to say, as long as there are pugs running, this will be an issue.

melee is solid, but an inconvenience to most every grp. the benefits of having no melee outway having melee. always has.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I was looking through the group finder yesterday right after release, most groups were something like "Highmaul fresh! Know tacts and have EXP!"

I'm just like, bitch please. It's been released for 3 minutes!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being denied as relatively decently geared melee is the complete oversite of RL. Sure, certain bosses (like the one which requires magic dmg to break the shield) will be harder, but hell... Having all or mainly ranged - just doesn't make any sense. You just met bad raid leaders and keep trying is my advice.

Last night out of 14 DPSers I had 8 melee. Total of 21 people in raid. I didn't see any major issues, just melee has to pay bit more attention.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leewillzy View Post
    Anyone else having difficulty getting into a Highmaul group as Melee? I tried numerous times last night even with a respectable Ilvl and had no luck. Everyone wants Ranged... some were even asking for Experience!
    Get a guild. Also, melee is no problem as far as I can see, not sure why would anyone exclude them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seing as Normal (and heroic too) are flex there's no reason to deny a good melee. I play a rogue and I felt quite confortable in some fights like Korgath and Imperator.

Deleted
    Makes no sense, several bosses in highmaul benefit from having melee, both Kargath and The Butcher benefits from a nice share of melee dpsers. Look at the top logs on WarcraftLogs.com and you will see that melee is generally topping the DPS charts. Ret Pala, WW Monk, Feral Druid and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Just the last part of your post made me realise what complete fucktards most pug organisers are. Melee is at no disadvantage at all and do solid dps, its just a community perception and not one you will change quickly.
    Patently untrue.

Ranged are an advantage this tier on several fights, at no point are melee at an advantage except perhaps Butcher since they don't need to do shit, but then you just realise that ranged can be melee if needed.

Kargath: Cleaves and charges which favours ranged very slightly. During his whirl if you're not going up, you do have to wait to do damage.
    Tectus: I hope you like endless dodging small spikes, hopefully none of your range are badly positioned so you dont get a random tick of fire as well, also the ground is covered in sand making it impossible to see the things to dodge if they spawn under it.
    Brackenspore: Cone breath, spore shooters.
    Twin Ogron: Pretty balanced, the flames can go either way.
    Ko'ragh: Fucking up the absorb is significantly easier to do as melee, exploding aoe fire per person, if you're caught out by frost orb you do 0 dps.
    Imperator: Tank debuff is a melee concern, getting the jumping debuff in melee is harder to manage, force nova knockbacks, slows.

It's not a huge swing, but it is there, and pugs are looking for path of least resistance, you pick ranged every time since melee have more chances of fucking up and when they do it's much more costly.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

As an Unholy DK on Kargarth, Butcher and Tectus I topped the DPS followed closely by a Ret Pala. People excluding melee's are just scrubs and probably should be avoided anyway.

this is ridiculous. in our first night top 3 were two ferals and elemental shaman. whole raid was at 635-ish item level. And my personal rule - better to skip a raid then to pug it. especially at the very beginning of current content. Too much frustration, too little benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post
    When I was looking through the group finder yesterday right after release, most groups were something like "Highmaul fresh! Know tacts and have EXP!"

^This. So silly. There is far more better ways to tell if a player can handle it or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottalot View Post
    ^This. So silly. There is far more better ways to tell if a player can handle it or not.
    Some of the fights like Tectus red fog is very unforgiving for melees. Kills you in 2 seconds from 100 to 0 and there is other random dmg hitting you sometimes, so it is not like you immediately know it's the fog. I died on one of the first tries because raidleader told us to stand more sideways to the boss but it seems the fog starts under his feet and I stood very close to one of them.
    Later there are spikes coming from the ground non-stop in melee, which you constantly have to avoid or take.

Generally melee takes more practice and knowledge of the fight mechanics.

On twin ogrons I saw most of us melees getting knocked around on the first pummel. If you were unluckly it could kick you right into the fire. As range you can position more safely, as a melee you kind of rely on your tanks and can't move far away from the fire which stacks up very fast and quickly kills you.

Overall some of these mechanics seem way overtuned for normal making it harder for melees to learn the fights if they have no beta experience and very narrow margin of failing. In normal these mechanics should be more forgiving. Kargath for example does not one-hit you if you are in his way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Near the fictional town of Nowhere, Kansas.
    Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    melee is solid, but an inconvenience to most every grp. the benefits of having no melee outway having melee. always has.
    We had ONE ranged DPS last night... 14 players(Tank x2, Healer x3, 9 DPS)... Was brutal.
    I've been considering on dropping my Rogue as the main and switching because we're so melee Heavy. (Including our Challenge Mode group.)

Deleted
    Well you are needed on Butcher, top the dps on Tectus/Ko'ragth due to range moving...So the raid leaders are bad, not your fault!

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post

Just to clarify, when the say experienced, they want you to know what youre doing raid wise. if youve raided SoO H or mythic etc. you would be considered experienced raider. Also know fights will help

The first 2 bosses are extremely melee friendly. He I would even say you would gimping yourself with few melee or no melee. We had 4 melee in a 13 player group in guild last night 3/4 went up in the stands on first boss, and then we had an even split for groups on second boss with a hunter and a healer for each group. 1 hunter would disengauge off as the other ran i.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

First 5 bosses in Highmaul are great for melee. Along with the high performance of many melee specs, PUG leaders need to get a clue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InkarnateKT View Post
    First 5 bosses in Highmaul are great for melee. Along with the high performance of many melee specs, PUG leaders need to get a clue.
    How do you figure that Kargath is melee friendly.. you have to step away from chains to make sure designated players are thrown upwards.

It is only melee friendly if you are one of the designated players. If not you have to leave melee range for a while.

When you say melee friendly you always have to compare it to ranged.

Ranged have an easier time of both Kargath and Butcher.

Melee is fine on every fight other than twin ogron and the magic breaker dude. Those two it sucks to be melee. With fire coming out of the boss and being near impossible to figure out which way it's going on ogron I had a lot of standing back trying to figure it out. And felbreaker(?) moves wayyyyy too much. Not to mention how hard it is to get the exploding guys when they're inside the suppression fields. The rest of the fights are pretty easy for melee to stay on the boss with some really nice uptime though.

you have to step away from chains to make sure designated players are thrown upwards.
    If melee stays at max melee range and the chain group stacks directly on kargath you can have better uptime, if you use a movement ability during the knockback and have druids pop stampeding roar after bounding you can have full uptime on butcher as melee as well.