Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    How do you figure that Kargath is melee friendly.. you have to step away from chains to make sure designated players are thrown upwards.

It is only melee friendly if you are one of the designated players. If not you have to leave melee range for a while.

When you say melee friendly you always have to compare it to ranged.

Ranged have an easier time of both Kargath and Butcher.
    Perhaps melee neutral is the best way to describe it. You barely have to wait to go back in for chains

Yeah... people don't like alot melees in their raid, it limits their strategy sometimes, it happens every time dont see why get mad about it.

And for ppl that say that the fights have shit they have to dodge because they are melee... its the same for everyone stop crying, and you can even do it while dpsing.

You just met retarded baddies. There is no point in calling these people incompetent or even being kind when talking about them. These pug leaders are just retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering melee does 20-30% more dps than ranged...

No melee... excepts WW monks are crushing the charts

Pug, seems to be melee is a hassle for RL who just want an easy run.
    Raid crew/team/established group, your fine.

XP? lol
    Don't stand in fire.
    Know what your survival CDs are and how to use them.
    Don't "AFK my goldfish is on fire".

Your fine

This is a troll thread right?

I think there are 10 casters total in the top 200 for Butcher Heroic. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    This is a troll thread right?

I think there are 10 casters total in the top 200 for Butcher Heroic. lol
    Melee do slightly (yes read: slightly) more damage on a single target stand and nuke. This is correct by design.

It does not make them more valuable, unless you absolutely REQUIRE that level of dps on taht fight (mythic butcher). They certainly aren't preferable on tectus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Patently untrue.

Tectus: I hope you like endless dodging small spikes, hopefully none of your range are badly positioned so you dont get a random tick of fire as well, also the ground is covered in sand making it impossible to see the things to dodge if they spawn under it.
    Brackenspore: Cone breath, spore shooters.
    Yea ranged don't get those small spikes at all.

As to brackenspore. Melee stand behind the boss. Ranged have to move to intercept the spore shooters. I don't really see your points as valid.

Ranged could be running a zigzag marathon trying to dodge shit the boss throws at them, and as soon as a melee has to spend a second outside autoattack range or require the most modest amount of raid awareness to avoid something, the fight becomes "anti-melee" in the community's eyes. Hence the PUG thing.

Melee are cleaving better and can do dps while moving.

Sure Tectus can be slightly harder as melee, but skilled melee will lose very little uptime while dodging stuff and can make the last 4 adds go by incredibly quickly with cleaves. I'd love to see see ranged come even close to melee on that fight with all the moving and los problems they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highmaul might be the single most melee-friendly raid instance they've ever released. There's really only a few mechanics that punish melee more than ranged, and they aren't a big deal. That combined with the relative balance of melee vs ranged (only Hunters can really even keep up with many melee classes) and it's pretty comical that people are still hesitant to bring melee.

Now if we were talking CMs... hah. Melee. Good joke.

7+ Year Old Account
    Near the fictional town of Nowhere, Kansas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Now if we were talking CMs... hah. Melee. Good joke.
    HEY!... I'll have you know, I did a CM with 3 Melee DPS...

.... And it was TERRIBLE, but we DID complete it.

Gona chip in my unwanted input.

Range > Melee has been the way since the Jurassic period. More so since PUGs are so common now and the general consensus is that a group of random people will have more success if they are range heavy than melee heavy. And they have a point to a certain extent.

I cant remember an encounter from vanilla onwards where it has been more favorable to have more melee than range, but certainly the opposite for more range than melee.

Until perhaps now. For the record, this is my input from the POV of a feral.

For the record I have only completed 3 bosses in Highmaul so far. It is of my opinion, and from my experience of having a pretty even melee:range ratio none of the 3 encounters favour 1 over the other.

Kargath, equal amounts of running around, screaming WTFFFFFF and dodging fire and shite

Butcher, Patchwerk... You can run around screaming WTFFFFF if you want to, but not really much point

Tectus, Lots of movement required for both range and melee, arguably less so for melee if they dont lick windows and have some kind of situational awareness.

The above named bosses are the ones we have downed, with relative ease once everyone realised the whole 'screaming WTFFFF' was not just pointless but certainly a flaw in our tactic on Tectus. Which imo is a fuckin awesome encounter, it just turned into a cluster fuck of wtf is going on?, dont know just nuke something!

We tried That Fungal boss thing and basically went back to the tactic of WTFFFFFFFFF at which point we hearthstoned out.

Point is that so far, it seems reasonably balanced in terms of melee/range. On the 3 fights ive done I can see little to no reason to bring more of one than the other, with the exception of making it a little easier on healers as they wont have to move around as much. Still having more melee than range wont make the encounters impossible.

Now if we start talking about CMs... Take a full range group. Shit, ask the tank to be as range as much as he can :P

This is ofc imo and from personal experience.

My suggestion for pugging is either dont!!! and try and find a guild, or be overly co-operative and friendly if you do get into a pug to the point where you can reserve a spot with the leader the next time he does a group.

Edit: Just going to chuck this here as well... In terms of actual damage... Melee DPS > Range DPS. This is subject to change ofc, and I have no doubt that it will, but at the moment melee wreck everything
    Last edited by panthro7; 2014-12-05 at 11:39 AM.

I think this is just outdated at the moment, and isn't relevant at all.

Melee are insanely strong now, nearly every melee (except Enhance) is top of the DPS charts, they bring the same utility also so I can't see any reason not to bring (or even stack) melee.

The only reason you need ranged is to deal with the mechanics of the boss whilst the melee go full tunnel mode.

It's player perception and not an actual melee problem, I played a melee last night in raid and enjoyed it quite considerably (though there wasn't a single boss where I had to do anything other than just tunnel all day).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kilj View Post
    No melee... excepts WW monks are crushing the charts
    Stop playing with shitters then, melee are way overtuned. Only huntards can keep up, but they are not casters

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    It's player perception and not an actual melee problem, I played a melee last night in raid and enjoyed it quite considerably (though there wasn't a single boss where I had to do anything other than just tunnel all day).
    Pretty sure you are lying through your teeth as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Stop playing with shitters then, melee are way overtuned. Only huntards can keep up, but they are not casters
    For all intents and purposes, they ARE casters - just ones that tend to deal physical damage.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Pretty sure you are lying through your teeth as well.
    Eurgh? I played my Unholy DK last night and except for having to move from shit, I can't say there were many (any?) tactics that really engaged melee. Plus except for MM hunters, they were also doing extremely well on the meters. Dunno what you think I'm lying about.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Eurgh? I played my Unholy DK last night and except for having to move from shit, I can't say there were many (any?) tactics that really engaged melee. Plus except for MM hunters, they were also doing extremely well on the meters. Dunno what you think I'm lying about.
    "Tunnel all day" "move from shit"

It's a wonder why you can't spot your own blatant inconsistencies.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    "Tunnel all day" "move from shit"

It's a wonder why you can't spot your own blatant inconsistencies.
    Rofl what, why are you being so anal about this? I don't see how someone can't just tunnel a boss whilst moving out of fire?

I'm sorry if I upset your melee character with my perception of melee playstyle currently.