Unholy DK and Simulations

I'm a 636 iLvl unholy DK here is the armory: battlenet/wow/en/character/area-52/Onweedry/simple

I'm getting really frustrated as the simulations for my character how that I should be pulling around 22k+ dps yet on heroic butcher I'm doing 16k-18k depending on if he's below 45%. This is ridiculous as my friend who is a hunter with the same ilvl as me pulls more dps but simulates to less. I've read tons of guides and I've spent hours on dummies perfecting my rotation but still cannot get that top dps over the hunters and monks. Is there a reason for this?

Quote Originally Posted by karolak View Post
    I'm a 636 iLvl unholy DK here is the armory: battlenet/wow/en/character/area-52/Onweedry/simple

I'm getting really frustrated as the simulations for my character how that I should be pulling around 22k+ dps yet on heroic butcher I'm doing 16k-18k depending on if he's below 45%. This is ridiculous as my friend who is a hunter with the same ilvl as me pulls more dps but simulates to less. I've read tons of guides and I've spent hours on dummies perfecting my rotation but still cannot get that top dps over the hunters and monks. Is there a reason for this?
    You are not a robot....BOOM. Mind blowing stuff I know but your not executing your priorities as well as the sim does with 100% uptime on the boss and yadayadayadayada. Also your not a Hunter or a Monk, so you won't be getting the same performance as them. BOOM another truth bomb there huh? Simcraft is for working out your gearing options and to help theorycrafters work out what the perfect priority system is so it can get copy pasta'd onto Icyveins.

Sorry to be almost asinine about it but your using SimC wrong if you think it's for telling you how much DPS you should be knocking out. That is unless you have a perfect parse on a boss which gives you 100% uptime without any damage modifiers being present (like taking 50% more damage during X or whatever). I realize your talking about Butcher which is meant to be the Patchwerk of Highmaul but your still setting yourself up for disappointment.

Don't get frustrated, your doing fine. Just stop using SimC as a benchmark and use it for what it was designed to, make smarter gearing choices and working out which buttons to press in which order.

Eh why are u getting mastery gems? You need multistrike. And what's your rotation and priorities?

Deleted
    Properly using Soul Reaper makes or breaks our DPS. If you're comparing failed attempts to simulations or die before the boss does you're going to see a large difference between your simmed and actual DPS. Make sure you always have a rune available for Soul Reaper when it comes off cooldown whenever the boss is in the execution range. You can practise on dummies, even though the Soul Reaper won't tick.

Your DPS goes up a lot on the last 45%, especially since that's when you BL on the Butcher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_AllCOM3 View Post
    Your DPS goes up a lot on the last 45%, especially since that's when you BL on the Butcher.
    Bloodlust isn't that amazing for us, unfortunately, since it doesn't speed up Soul Reaper in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathan View Post
    Bloodlust isn't that amazing for us, unfortunately, since it doesn't speed up Soul Reaper in any way.
    Time it with your 2nd garry for the fight and it makes a difference.

16-18 for a 636, i think you damn fine!

Try using a Weak Aura to track things like this one.

Code:
    dy0JuaqjHc2eKOYSKiLUfLKDbPQHrrogLAzQONjunnf11OeBdc9njQXbPCoPkMNePO7juO9bjIdQqAHQupufmrivUieSrPOpQqyKsv6KsHxsrLzkrYnHeLDk4NusnuHIoQePAPsepfmvjDvfI2kKi5RqIuNvIuyUuu1Er)vLmyfPdtYIHOhlKjtHllAZk4Zsy0svDAs9AvOzRKBlL2nHFt0WLkhhsu1Yv1ZHA6uDDLA7uu(oKW4HKoVc16fkTFfX0MvckwPtat4e9MqFpOVSv9yvHTD5HEuLj0sWGGbReq16HbC6SPvwmHy5Yi2tCl2wmfhTYNCWQ5YegB9WaoDgS6C2e6reTY9GgANOzFAHqIANsyKg8MaoxdXuQfoHBRRvRrzLcHMvckddTRLc16YFDrr(ywPt4ZcTuuh3LekE5UJGy3wFDrr(ygSjSKkdwjSX5v0sHXe8FNeE5kzLq7E5AwPtNGRwPWzLq7E5AwPtNWRIswj0UxUMv60jeTuymReWArXkjGoegT2R5cngrVv60jOniuYwK4s7KPLeZs7KPqDYuuUjtrNgNkCIPtiIvgSzLGNO6nxQcmHGuKeWUk6ig0XMmyFsavRhgWPZMwH4jANMqdnelJy8ZYZNOXbRMNjGDv0rCZLQatiifjHXwpmGtNnTYcA2XppJFA6SSftZwSWbRMTqaP8nY)GCjFwzWMbBgozWMH4myZWmdMqVf6eEPR8SMO6ecwhqGWGu4nxQcmHAVnoyoRhzTunciqaP6pixYNvgSzWedNSjILTTpNr0IP4wIFAXKnhSYsCgIZMZwoTpr0eAMoJxUNYOHihSYszgMzWMoHUxw8jghZpJ0yTuWGjcdsHtW6hP2FPyY07Lk6iHLuzWkHnoVePz5tKeC1kfoReA3lxZkD6eIwkmMvcyTOyLeqhcJw71CHgJO3kH29Y1SsaDimATxZfAmIER8MoDcBCEfTuymVj8QOKvcT7LRzLoDcBCEH7YiEt4LRKvcT7LRzLoDcBCEfjBrQCEta3LrSsaRffRKH4eA3lxZkdN8MoDcyDSjReA3lxZkHo17J5nbCukuVwYBcoksHpEqBwYBcEk4nb1NcfVjmiFFCRsWBcDM1XB60PtW1T5FqUKpRmyZGndNmyZqCgSzyMbB6e(Sqlf1XDjbDKuqa7QOJyEtWtu99Nekzlsmbpr1BkfoHMVo2jtl9TY4vUAY0ALa2vrhXnLcNqZxh7KPL(wz8kxnzATsW1T53ukCciSmBKnMmTPu4euRU(kgSjGu(g53qGtNbBBcgAC3snUrKuqOHWZFqfLMVrKuGnVwy2vRghD5Y9luTPWXx4XTiLRlduO(bcyxfDehtPw4eoGqOIqjeqkFJ8VvrhnEzhH7Lo2yvVXKPvPC56ocivFdrZxkCEtWtuDqhBYG9jbLq3QCTuWkbSRENvc(4UKq3N40j09joDc4L2iDzhD6e8xxuKpRe24863IKijG7Y1QHbHYLTe3cHpBvAHwuCj7Yx5YNakjgj8zRsl0IccMieTXUS9QV2ij4620GWgNhKBHZBcBrAwkCcQTljSX5Lwyw(4Kijej3c36U8vU8jGsIrcPzPWjGUu59Nm1CcDrFFY0s2IKGq1MeUxsPXKPqFDUmiej3cNGjcBCE9zRsl0IcEtaVrMMLch2ddAujCDyuOEbJ8WbeaGWVfjdZeeQ2eZkd2eG(kdjkMmTHyyJ1sbD6e8evNij46285nbx3MFZLQatiifjbKQOJgVS7GCjFwzWMbBgozWMH4myZWmdMqVf6egKch0XMmCotaP8nYNijGu(g5JGrrsiifjbKY3iFqhBYGnIe0rsXfwBKekPXi6TsaPk6yXl3cJdYL8zLbBgmXWjdMyiodMyyMbtO3cDckddTRLc16YFDrr(ywPtaP8nY36HbC6myHWw4VUOiFwj8BrYWmDcyxfDeFqUKpRmyZGndNmyZqCgSzyMbB6eCDB(Go2Kb7tcAdcqFLHeftM2qmSXAPGq)ux03zy2ebuOn8(mmBIGy3wFDrr(ygSjyOXDl14AIQxIUOVtig6iOICTuGzLa2vVZkbd5vBIXQIKiPtNG81PWvUwkiGsHqj1ghgTuem04ULACnr1lvo4eIbbHiPCzirHGiPZWjReq16HbC6SPvwMpNTyQSnALr80sp9eNdwnptyS1dd40ztRSGMD8Zt0mfF2cAOHy5E4GvZwiOICTuGzLa2vVZkbSClmUI6ReICraLPWE(eWYTWGqdHN)Gkkn)Oggsb28O0P64O7xHnFmLOi)r3VcJYsdTY8GClmWMhJc5BKr9LOxwuqWqEHLBHbVPtNWGu4nxQcmHAVnoyoRhzTunciqWFDrr(SsWh3LeWUY3ycBrAwkCcQTljeTXUS9QV2ij4620Gqx(rPW7NQL3Nq8Ye248Al0oVjSfANGR(I0jSX5vx(rPW7NQL3N3e6YpkfE)uT8(xYU8vU8juAgJ0jmifobRFKA)LIjtVxQOJe6N6I(odZMiSKkdwjSX5v0sHX8MWRIswj0UxUMv60j8YvYkH29Y1SsNobxTsHZkH29Y1SsNoHOLcJzLawlkwjb0HWO1EnxOXi6TsNWgNxrYwKkN30jyOXDl1yWvrhXekbDLge(Sqlf1XDjbDKuqqj0TkxlfSsa7Q3zLGpUlj09joDcDFItNaEPnsx2rNob12LejbTbbqUxtMwsQ6YNak0gEFgMnryl8xxuKpRe248Al0oVjSfANGR(I0PtqSBRVUOiFmdNeuggAxlfQ1L)6II8XSYGnRe8xxuKpRe8XDjbSR8nMWgNxU6lsVKeLFR)0G3esZsHty0ixlftMosSc5kjG3itZsHhZph0OsaIjcLQue248c3LRvq1M8MWwKMLcNGA7scBH2j0TuJZNWgNxBH25nb8gzAwkCypmOrLW1HrH6fuhTKkbCxUwbvBYGDCtLJJiDcBH)6II8zLaUlxRGQnzWoUPYXrKoD6em04ULACJiPGqdHN)GkknFJiPaBEfs9s7JVmsL3)Oqx03VWY96tvx(eWUk6ioMsTWjCaHqfHsOZqCwj4jQEZLQatiifjbSRIoIbDSjd2Neq16HbC6SPvZw6PNzBtiI2SjelJ28mhSAEMa2vrhXnxQcmHGuKegB9WaoDgSYgrlO)80gT5YwIpBJgbKY3i)dYL8zLbBgSz4KbBgIZGndZmyc9wOt4LUYZAIQtiyDabcivrhlE5wyCqUKpRmyZGjgozWedXzWedZmyc9wOtyqk8MlvbMqT3ghmN1JSwQgbeiGu9hKl5Zkd2myIHt2eXY22NZiAXuClXpTyYMdwzjodXzZzlN2NiAcntNXl3tz0qKdwzPmdZmytNq3ll(eJJ5NrASwkyWeHbPWjy9Ju7Vumz69sfDKWsQmyLWgNxI0S8jscUALcNvcT7LRzLoDcrlfgZkbSwuSscOdHrR9AUqJr0BLq7E5AwjGoegT2R5cngrVvEtNoHnoVIwkmM3eEvuYkH29Y1SsNoHnoVWDzeVj8YvYkH29Y1SsNoHnoVIKTivoVjG7YiwjG1IIvYqCcT7LRzLHtEtNobSo2KvcT7LRzLqN69X8MaokfQxl5nb1NcfVj4PG3eCuKcF8G2SK3egKVpUvj4nHoZ64nD60j4628pixYNvgSzWMHtgSziod2mmZGnDcFwOLI64UKGoskiGDv0rmVj4jQ((tcLSfjMGNO6nLcNqZxh7KPL(wz8kxnzATsa7QOJ4MsHtO5RJDY0sFRmELRMmTwj4628BkfobewMnYgtM2ukCcQvxFfd2eqkFJ8BiWPZGTnbdnUBPg3iski0q45pOIsZ3iskWMxlm7QvJJUC5(fQ2u44l84wKY1Lbku)abSRIoIJPulCchqiurOeciLVr(3QOJgVSJW9shBSQ3yY0QuUCDhHTWFDrr(Ss43IKHz6em04ULACnr1lvo4eIbbbLq3QCTuWkbSRENvc(4UKq3N40j09joDc4L2iDzhD6e8xxuKpRe24863IKijG7Y1QHbHYLTe3cHnoV0cZYhNejHpBvAHwuqWeHOn2LTx91gjbx3Mge(SvPfArXLSlFLlFcOKyKaEJmnlfoShg0Os46WOq9cg5HdiaaH0Su4eqxQ8(tMAoHUOVpzAjBrsyJZdYTW5nHi5w4w3LVYLpbusmsisUfobteeQ2KW9sknMmf6RZLbHnoV(SvPfArbVjSfPzPWjO2UKWVfjdZeeQ2eZkd2eqN6pozA9vc8G8BvUwkOtyl0oHU0PtWtuDIKGRBZN3eCDB(nxQcmHGuKeqQIoA8YUdYL8zLbBgSz4KbBgIZGndZmyc9wOtyqkCqhBYW5mbdnUBPgdUk6iMqm0raP8nYNijGu(g5JGrrsiifjbKY3iFqhBYGnIe0rsXfwBKekPXi6TsaP6BiA(sHZBcgAC3snUMO6LOl67eIHocyxfDeFqUKpRmyZGndNmyZqCgSzyMbB6eCDB(Go2Kb7tciLVr(wpmGtNbleuggAxlfQ1L)6II8XSsNGy3wFDrr(ygSjGcTH3NnTehrerdnBtLNTmpJ4Czoy1Czc9tDrFNnTmx22(Shl9mp3ZCpL7HdwnxMGkY1sbMvcyx9oRemKxTjgRksIKoDcEIQd6ytgSpjiFDkCLRLccOuiusTXHrlfbTbb0P(JtMwFfwmi)wLRLccrs5YqIcbrsNobZyWE(0eDs
    This will make a really horrid noise when target is below 45% HP and show Soul Reaper Icon, It will also tell you when Dark Transformation is ready. Oh and tracks your stacks of Shadow Infusion.

Helps if you suck at pooling RP to keep timmy up as much as possible and to track Soul Reaper if you suck at reapplying it. The beep will make you want to rip your ears off so be sure to apply it fast!

Addons like WeakAuras or ScrollingCombatText are way too distracting and negatively impact your performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_AllCOM3 View Post
    Addons like WeakAuras or ScrollingCombatText are way too distracting and negatively impact your performance.
    That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....WeakAuras are supposed to be distracting...they're supposed to remind you, "Hey this button you really care about is available and you're tunneling the boss....pay attention". That being said, it generally has the opposite effect...unless of course you stop tunneling the boss and switch to tunneling your auras..

Battle text, also lets you know if you might be standing at the edge of something if the animation is wrong. The Twin Ogron come to mind where some of the animations do not match the actual damage radius.

As for the OP, I have a WeakAura that pops at 47% so I can either hit SR, or start pooling an Unholy Rune. Once you get super comfy in your rotation it's very easy to feel out where you need to pool and when you can spend. Depending on your rune combination you might wanna do different things in SR range:

BXXDXXU -> Scourge Strike 1x/BB 2x
    XXFXUX -> Chill and let either a blood or a death come up and then FS or SS appropriately.

For me having the little icon that says "Yo, You're in execute range" is a life saver, and when I see it my brain automatically starts pooling a rune, because it's a DPS increase to pool 1 rune, then to put off a SR for 3-5 seconds. When I screw it up, I look to Plague Leech and generally SR and PS with the 2 runes I got back (unless I have outbreak).

What you CANNOT do is accidentally pool 2 runes. If you're < 1 second away the GCD will cover you if you spend a death or unholy rune on a SS, just make sure you have another death or unholy rune coming up before you spend it. Since a lot of the time im just standing there with a pooled rune, its very easy to pay attention to my rune bar to see if one is about to complete before the SR CD finishes.
    Last edited by reikoshea; 2014-12-08 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reikoshea View Post
    That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....WeakAuras are supposed to be distracting...they're supposed to remind you, "Hey this button you really care about is available and you're tunneling the boss....pay attention". That being said, it generally has the opposite effect...unless of course you stop tunneling the boss and switch to tunneling your auras..

Battle text, also lets you know if you might be standing at the edge of something if the animation is wrong. The Twin Ogron come to mind where some of the animations do not match the actual damage radius.

As for the OP, I have a WeakAura that pops at 47% so I can either hit SR, or start pooling an Unholy Rune. Once you get super comfy in your rotation it's very easy to feel out where you need to pool and when you can spend. Depending on your rune combination you might wanna do different things in SR range:

BXXDXXU -> Scourge Strike 1x/BB 2x
    XXFXUX -> Chill and let either a blood or a death come up and then FS or SS appropriately.

For me having the little icon that says "Yo, You're in execute range" is a life saver, and when I see it my brain automatically starts pooling a rune, because it's a DPS increase to pool 1 rune, then to put off a SR for 3-5 seconds. When I screw it up, I look to Plague Leech and generally SR and PS with the 2 runes I got back (unless I have outbreak).

What you CANNOT do is accidentally pool 2 runes. If you're < 1 second away the GCD will cover you if you spend a death or unholy rune on a SS, just make sure you have another death or unholy rune coming up before you spend it. Since a lot of the time im just standing there with a pooled rune, its very easy to pay attention to my rune bar to see if one is about to complete before the SR CD finishes.
    Setting to 47 is actually not a bad shout...