Thread: Krypton?

Krypton?

So they're developed a series for SyFy Channel set on Krypton and revolving around Superman's grandfather...

Per the official series description, “Years before the Superman legend we know, the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This series follows The Man of Steel's grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.”
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/...om-david-goyer

Am I the only one thinking this isn't really the best idea? How many people are going to care about Superman's grandfather, especially when the elements that make Superman super (i.e, a yellow sun) won't be present? It might work as a completely original story, but forcibly trying to tie it into the Superman mythos feels unnecessary and I think it'll ultimately do more harm to the series' potential than good because there won't be any established characters the audience knows/cares about (unless Zod and his crew are a hell of a lot older than they appear and were also a thorn back in this time period).

If they really want a DC property that would lend itself to a sci-fi series really well, I have to think there are better options that involve existing characters: Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Lobo, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter come to mind quite readily and I'm sure there's a crapton of others I'm forgetting.

So, what about you? Does Krypton sound interesting to you or are you scratching your head and wondering "why this?"
    Last edited by Osoroshii; 2014-12-09 at 01:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It's SyFy it'll be godawful. I can almost see the meeting...

"Hey Comic book shows are doing REALLY well right now, let's make one!"

"Superman?"

"Yeah... but a prequel!"

"It's been done..."

"I know... but this will be FURTHER back!"

"you're a GENIUS!"
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

SyFy Channel can rot in a blackhole.

"We didn't do a bad enough job with Caprica ... let's see if we can really run a franchise into the ground"
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    "We didn't do a bad enough job with Caprica ... let's see if we can really run a franchise into the ground"
    To be fair, there were parts of Caprica I liked. The birth of the Cylons was interesting to see.

Also, the main girl was kinda hot.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Also, the main girl was kinda hot.
    O_O

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Ah; Enterprise didn't count?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Ah; Enterprise didn't count?
    Well, one, I liked Enterprise (especially the final season), but two that wasn't a SyFy show.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.