Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I mean, yeah, I played only several hours and obviously haven't tried out everything
    Again, it doesn't appear to me that you tried out much of anything.

You've become firmly entrenched in an incorrect opinion, and when presented with facts just burrow deeper.

Story is shit (and I'm perfectly fine with it, except I would have prefered less stupid cutscenes in the beginning and instead going straight to actual gameplay), game takes time to explain how you move around with left stick and control the camera with right stick, but I have to read some outside guides to learn how most of the consumables work or how do I do aerial attacks with my weapon (because combination RT + Y -> Y is totally intuitive, right, likewise the fact that damage is based on colour of small border around your spirit gauge, that changes when you do full spirit combo, because paying attention to few pixels in top left part of the screen is intuitive too), movesets feel like they are designed to be as annoying as possible, staggering opponents seems to happen randomly and so, and so on.
    Its so odd to me that you have complaints about this stuff in this game yet praise dark souls, which is infamous for not being intuitive or telling you much of anything.

Bottomline is that combat is probably the most unresponsive I've ever seen in slashers.
    Games not a slasher, and is plenty responsive.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I was more so meaning like a easy to play but hard to master type of setup. But ill give each one a go, I was fond of the Long Sword and Heavy Bow Gun in worlds so I may check those out.
    I'd recommend Valor Longsword. It's pretty easy to pickup, decently hard to master, but if you master it you will shred monsters. Valor Longsword is definitely one of the more OP weapon/style combos in MHGU. But yeah in terms of what you said about repetitiveness, MHGU has like.... triple the monsters that MHWorld does, so you'll never really be fighting the same monsters at endgame except when you're farming specific ones for their gear.

Deleted
    Dumb Question but is MHGU worth it for someone who got bored of MHW after like 60 hours of playing World?

MHW for me got a bit repetitive and I never got around to finishing the main story, I felt like I saw all that I could/wanted (for the most part).

I considered getting MHGU cause of the portability factor, So I can pick up and play as much as I want.

(If it matters any ill be returning smash to get it so it really doesn't cost me anything).
    I also quit after 100 hours played

Because of pretty much the reasons i spammed this thread with at the start.

I was addicted to Monster Hunter for the Playstation 2 because of the relationships i made and how the online was organized.
    It was a more personal/social experience, 100%.

You needed other people to progress
    And when you were bored you found fun in helping other people who needed you.

This SOS system is bullshit even though is convenient...it is anti social.

I wasn't expecting some button masher, but it's even slower than Dark Souls 1 (for player's attacks, not in general) and doesn't even have proper targeting except absolutely useless lock on. I just don't understand how super slow overly precise attacks are supposed to work in the game where bosses constantly run out of reach or knock you down/paralyze/whatever other CC or status they have. It'd been fine if the gameplay was about just about exploting weak points and avoiding damage, but the way it's implemented now, it's about at least landing a hit in the first place.

MHW doesn't have levels, so that comparison doesn't work. Though, from what I seen, endgame weapons have several times more basic damage plus elemental damage plus not having to spam whetstones after every five swings.
    Its a skillbased game. Greatsword for example is pretty much a 'learn the monsters animations and hit where its going to be, not where it is' thing. The better you get at the game the more you learn the little stuff like not needing paintballs because you know what a monster eats and where it goes when its hungry, how long after zoning into its nest it sleeps and so on. Before the firefly walk you by the hand stuff the entire game was based around learn the monster, learn the map. A lot of people came in with world thinking it was the action version of a looter shooter or something when the better you get the less gear makes an important factor on a hunt at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Dumb Question but is MHGU worth it for someone who got bored of MHW after like 60 hours of playing World?

MHW for me got a bit repetitive and I never got around to finishing the main story, I felt like I saw all that I could/wanted (for the most part).

I considered getting MHGU cause of the portability factor, So I can pick up and play as much as I want.

(If it matters any ill be returning smash to get it so it really doesn't cost me anything).
    If you like the core ideas then yeah. It has too many item farm quests but aside from that its got way more areas and a absurdly larger monster roster because its still using the same models and framework as all the pre world games so they could throw in a LOT of monsters to fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Bottomline is that combat is probably the most unresponsive I've ever seen in slashers.
    Then theres your issue and its probably not a genre for you. The hunting genre is about getting one or two hits in and backing off. Its a game about learning tells, animations and slowly mastering each monster and its ecology. If you ever expected a hack and slash game then you probably want dragons dogma instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    If you like the core ideas then yeah. It has too many item farm quests but aside from that its got way more areas and a absurdly larger monster roster because its still using the same models and framework as all the pre world games so they could throw in a LOT of monsters to fight.
    Ya I dig the core idea, I just can't fully put my finger on what made me stop playing Worlds. I also only plan to play MHGU Online because I like the Co-Op Aspect of just killing shit with people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'd recommend Valor Longsword. It's pretty easy to pickup, decently hard to master, but if you master it you will shred monsters. Valor Longsword is definitely one of the more OP weapon/style combos in MHGU. But yeah in terms of what you said about repetitiveness, MHGU has like.... triple the monsters that MHWorld does, so you'll never really be fighting the same monsters at endgame except when you're farming specific ones for their gear.
    Ill look into it thx for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I also quit after 100 hours played

Because of pretty much the reasons i spammed this thread with at the start.

I was addicted to Monster Hunter for the Playstation 2 because of the relationships i made and how the online was organized.
    It was a more personal/social experience, 100%.

You needed other people to progress
    And when you were bored you found fun in helping other people who needed you.

This SOS system is bullshit even though is convenient...it is anti social.
    I Enjoyed Worlds fully, But I hit a burn out point that I just didn't recover from. I honestly can't put my finger on what made me quit, I do have a slight interest in going back but I likely won't.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Ya I dig the core idea, I just can't fully put my finger on what made me stop playing Worlds. I also only plan to play MHGU Online because I like the Co-Op Aspect of just killing shit with people.
    Just FYI the village quests are single player only and you'll be missing things if you don't do it.

You *can* go straight to the guild hall though and just play online. The community isn't very robust until you reach end game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Just FYI the village quests are single player only and you'll be missing things if you don't do it.

You *can* go straight to the guild hall though and just play online. The community isn't very robust until you reach end game though.
    K thx for the info.

How true is it that your SP and Online character is different? Does gear and all carry over inbetween the two?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    K thx for the info.

How true is it that your SP and Online character is different? Does gear and all carry over inbetween the two?
    They are the same character, it's just that progression is different. You'll also need to look up which quests you need the progress the story as the distinction isn't as clear as in MH World.

K thx for the info.

Same char, just different quests. You have to go to the guild hall for online quests, everything else is village stuff which is single player.

There are key quests as well if you just wanna skip through stuff fast which is the equivalent of assigned quests in world.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    They are the same character, it's just that progression is different. You'll also need to look up which quests you need the progress the story as the distinction isn't as clear as in MH World.
    k thx for the info.

I don't know where's fun when even easiest monsters take hundreds of orange hits, basic attacks are slower than Zweihander's R2 in DS1 and aiming slashes feels like playing Quake 3 on SNES gamepad.
    Let me preface with the only reason I tried this game was because it was on sale and because the FFXIV collab made the game look really fun.

I just finished the story mode last night. I started the game using the Sword & Shield, but wasn't finding a lot of success hunting monsters. I grossly ignored consumables and skills. The game starts off really slow, and hunts take way longer than I was comfortable with. I was on the verge of quitting, and then someone here recommended I watch some weapon tutorial videos. I did and my kill times dropped by 50%. Consumables dropped it another 20%.

Once I switched to the Insect Glaive I got the gameplay I was looking for. It's fast, fluid, and puts monsters down reasonably well. I found a lot of success early on using a Pukei based Poison build or a Kadachi Lightning based one. A lot of monsters take substantial damage from it.

My next task is finally taking on Behemoth, but now I need to find a group, because he isn't scaled for solo (I'm not trying to fight a 35k hp monster solo, especially if he regens significant HP when he retreats). I suspect I'm not nearly geared enough for it, but hoping people will help out with a carry .

I grossly ignored sidequests in error. They unlock a lot of neat tools to use and Palico features that make hunts easier.

Deleted
    Made a reddit post about the Online situation I need to vent about it again. Im sorry

I really need to vent about this because i fear the old Online system in Monster Hunter games will never come back to videogames...and it was the best Online experience in gaming history IMO

THE OLD ONLINE EXPERIENCE

Players were separated by Hunter Ranks.
    Players of similar levels needed to complete quests with the help of others.
    It was a "i scratch your back and you scratch mine" kind of deal.
    People saw eachother in Town and could talk to one another. It was a much more personal and social experience.
    This kind of environment made the community incredibly helpful to one another and you would see everyday "high level" players helping "lower levels"
    A common tactic used was "I help you on the quest you need...but could you help me next? Please?"
    It worked perfectly and everyone was nice to eachother.
    Everytime you logged in, it was a mini-social adventure.

THE NEW ONLINE EXPERIENCE

No one sees eachother in Town
    Everyone at the start is doing the "Story" and disconnected to everyone else
    Everyone ONLY uses the S.O.S system and completely ignores all the social tools, channel filters and text window.
    Thats right, the creation of the SOS system destroyed the entire community.
    It made everyone antisocial.
    And on top of that, at the end of each hunt...everyone leaves and is forgotten forever.
    It is no longer a "i scratch your back and you scratch mine" kind of deal.
    It is a "i dont give a fuck, just spam the SOS system with random people over and over again" kind of deal.
    Logging in in Monster Hunter nowadays is no longer a mini-social adventure.
    It is fast grouping with random people i will never meet again with the SOS system.

------------------------------------

I hope the old online system will not be forgotten forever in place of this new system i needed to vent. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Let me preface with the only reason I tried this game was because it was on sale and because the FFXIV collab made the game look really fun.

I just finished the story mode last night. I started the game using the Sword & Shield, but wasn't finding a lot of success hunting monsters. I grossly ignored consumables and skills. The game starts off really slow, and hunts take way longer than I was comfortable with. I was on the verge of quitting, and then someone here recommended I watch some weapon tutorial videos. I did and my kill times dropped by 50%. Consumables dropped it another 20%.

Once I switched to the Insect Glaive I got the gameplay I was looking for. It's fast, fluid, and puts monsters down reasonably well. I found a lot of success early on using a Pukei based Poison build or a Kadachi Lightning based one. A lot of monsters take substantial damage from it.

My next task is finally taking on Behemoth, but now I need to find a group, because he isn't scaled for solo (I'm not trying to fight a 35k hp monster solo, especially if he regens significant HP when he retreats). I suspect I'm not nearly geared enough for it, but hoping people will help out with a carry .

I grossly ignored sidequests in error. They unlock a lot of neat tools to use and Palico features that make hunts easier.
    Well, collab trailer with Dragoon Armor was the first time I've heard about the game, so our motivation is pretty close.

I think I've tried using insect glaive on Great Jagras, but found it too hard to hit his tail and mounting him was mostly uselss since I was hitting him for 1 orange damage, which left me with very sour taste in mouth. If it's really easier to wield in general, I might give it another try.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    mounting him was mostly uselss since I was hitting him for 1 orange damage, which left me with very sour taste in mouth.
    There is a secret to the Insect Glaive in regards to mounting damage. You need to change positions on the monster, and attack during the switch. Doing this is close to, if not the highest damage output in regards to mounting. Just keep spamming position change, and keep attacking.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Well, collab trailer with Dragoon Armor was the first time I've heard about the game, so our motivation is pretty close.

I think I've tried using insect glaive on Great Jagras, but found it too hard to hit his tail and mounting him was mostly uselss since I was hitting him for 1 orange damage, which left me with very sour taste in mouth. If it's really easier to wield in general, I might give it another try.
    I suspected so given our roots in FFXIV sub forum. If you're on PC I'd love to play together.

Regarding Mounting damage (spend the 10 or so mins watching the weapon guide video, I used Arekkz's personally) the 1 damage is misleading. It's not intended to do damage, but rather set up the knockdown to deal big damage. However, for Insect Glaive users you can press any direction key and attack and it does a rolling attack across the monster. This can break parts off, as well as set up knockdowns and lets you stay mounted for longer than most other weapons. Each roll hits for probably a cumulative 40 damage at my level. You can do one every 2s or so. It adds up decently. I might get 15 rolls off per mount, dealing 600 damage + knockdown. Most enemies have ~5k HP at my stage (LR Great Jagras has like 2.8k IIRC). That + poison dealing nearly 600-900 damage per application adds up fast.

Srsly thank you.

So much of this game (as with lots of games) is getting your bearings and figuring things out. Good on you for taking them time to try and get the most out of it.

Funnily enough I'm doing the opposite, not because of the collab but just because I'm burned out on wow. Definitely excited to get to fight rathalos in ff14 at some point though (Literally just started).

And most importantly I learned there's poogie in the game as a pet, so now I need to hope I can still go get that.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2019-01-03 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it, the 3rd person (and wonky at that) and the weebo weapons made it unbearable.
    Also, the graphic felt weird while moving, like it wasn't how it was supposed to look on a PC, even after adjusting everything for quality.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Srsly thank you.

So much of this game (as with lots of games) is getting your bearings and figuring things out. Good on you for taking them time to try and get the most out of it.

Funnily enough I'm doing the opposite, not because of the collab but just because I'm burned out on wow. Definitely excited to get to fight rathalos in ff14 at some point though (Literally just started).

And most importantly I learned there's poogie in the game as a pet, so now I need to hope I can still go get that.
    No - thank you .

FFXIV is a good game, it's got a lot of flaws, but all games do. Take your time and enjoy it.

No - thank you .

FFXIV is a good game, it's got a lot of flaws, but all games do. Take your time and enjoy it.
    Yeah I'm definitely not in a rush, I got everything I wanted out of raiding in wow for years now (and wows better for raiding anyway) so I'm just taking my time with this game being more story driven. Basically treating it like I would any other FF game except that people happen to be around.

Deleted
    The dialogue in this game though...

*SOUND* HNGH!
    "Welcome hunter, how good to see you!"
    *SOUND* Random phrase
    "The anjath has been terrorizing these parts for decades"