Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I would never have paid (in any setting/format) to see that movie.

I also did not pirate it.

I am mildly curious but the fact is, for me, even pirating it is 'too inconvenient'. When it comes out on Netflix, maybe I'll catch it then

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The loss is that you have the potential to be a paying customer. And instead of accepting your place in the financial world, you decide since you can't afford it, you'll just help yourself to it anyway.

You could find ways to make extra money to afford those luxuries, but instead you decided to just take it for free. Which is illegal.
    I don't have the potential to be a paying costumer. I'm a student struggling with rent and food and shit. I can either not consume content, or consume it. And in both cases, it hurts no one. Actually helps content creator since I can, again, recommend content to others. Morally, there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing. So the law can pretty much go suck a dick here.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    To steal is to deprive the rightful owner of. To make a copy of something illegally you have committed copyright infringement. Both are illegal, only one is stealing.

Copyright infringement is not stealing, just because you want to word it as "taking" a copy. You didn't take the copy, because it is still at the source location, in the rightful owners possession.

Oh, and if they don't release it in your location, fuck em, they weren't going to get any money off you anyway if they can't be arsed releasing it where you can buy it, so there's no lost profit there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Copying is copying. I take the copy I made - therefore it belongs to me.
    The idea that someone who creates something does not deserve credit nor rewards to creating it...is simply going to lead to people ceasing to create and share things.

People that make film don't do it pro-bono. Your childish views on ownership just reinforce that most people just want a free ride.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If item is available for paid digital distribution. In order to legally obtain a copy of the file, you must pay the owner of the file a fee. You did not pay this fee, there for you have stolen the copy of the file. This is illegal.
    But someone else did, and that someone decided to share it. Are you saying it's illegal to share things you paid for?

It's public opinion at work. People download because they are not willing to pay for the movie they downloaded. There are tons of movies I would watch if they were free but would not watch if I had to pay for them. Some movies are worth paying for. Some aren't worth watching at all. That's how it has always been. The ratio if downloads to purchases is only an indicator of how terrible a product is with some inflection for hype. Movie got popular because of news, but is still a terrible movie, so lots of people wanted to see it without paying for it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    To steal is to deprive the rightful owner of. To make a copy of something illegally you have commited copyright infringement. Both are illegal, only one is stealing.

Copyright infringement is not stealing, just because you want to word it as "taking" a copy. You didn't take the copy, because it is still at the source location, in the rightful owners possession.
    Show me where it says this in the definition for stealing.

The movie is funny as hell

10+ Year Old Account
    To steal is to deprive the rightful owner of. To make a copy of something illegally you have commited copyright infringement. Both are illegal, only one is stealing.

In the case of creative professionals, you have denied them the ability to make money off of their creation.

So while you didn't steal their product, you did steal their income.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    they arent giving you meat for free from an illegal source your semantics are not relevant.
    The semantics are the EXACT SAME as yours... you pay for something, you think anything you can obtain while using that paid-for something is free. I paid for my Costco membership and when the cops are tackling me I'm yelling "I paid for my memberships!"

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    You need to work on your reading comprehension, champ.
    You need to stop moving goalposts.

Quoted for truth, so people who are overly fond of the word stealing can grow up already and use the proper words.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    Quoted for truth, so people who are overly fond of the word stealing can grow up already and use the proper words.
    Same goes to you.

I keep asking but no one has answered this yet. If it isn't available in your country(whatever the reason) what gives you the right to watch it?
    Lol the argument here should be in favor of releases being more worldwide not saying "you don't have a right to watch it bitch!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the internet, I pay for it, it is on said internet, the person distributing it is doing something illegal, not me I am just watching something made available to me through which the medium I pay for makes available. Watching something is not illegal.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    I didn't want to risk getting blown up....

Just kidding, I've not even bothered to download buy it yet.
    to lazy to go after release day reviews, most gave 5/10 averaged(even rotten tomatoes)

does that article also show how many of the people that pirated decided to buy it later because for some reason they liked the movie?
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Stealing = taking something which you do not have permission to take.

pirating = taking something you do not have permission to take.

Pirating = stealing.
    Pirating = obtaining a digital copy.

The discussion ITT:
    Copying is stealing. No copying is not stealing. No copying is stealing. No it is not. Yes it is. Semantics, semantics, semantics, semantics.
    Call it what you will, priating is taking a copy of something and not paying for it. Every pirate needs to be aware of this, or grow up.

Everyone has to decide for himself if he thinks it's the right thing to do.

I see it as a demo version most of the time. Before I buy something, I'd like to try it. If I like it, I will support the producer in the future. Given I don't really try a lot of things nowadays - and back in the older days demos were a given. Today, not so much anymore.

In case of The Interview - it was an idiotic dick move to make the movie US only with US only credit cards. Too bad for you Sony. The movie wasn't even worth paying for in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the dictionary?

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No it is not illegal. Illegal would be to RESELL it.
    Also if item is available for paid digital distribution - I will but it.
    You're saying you'll gladly pay for a digital item that's available for purchase to >YOU<, but it's not available for purchased to >YOU<, you'll just take it?

So you're saying "I'd like to do things legally, but instead of waiting X months for it to legally be purchased by my fellow countryman I'll illegally obtain it"?