Tips and/or Log Analysis for Disc on Mar'Gok [H]

Hiya.

My guild spent all last night wiping on Heroic Mar'Gok, so I didn't want to go back there next week without making sure I've tightened up anything I was doing wrong. I like to run as Holy on easier fights because I enjoy the play-style more, but since I'm the only priest healer I tend to switch to Disc on progression fights (I mention this because I simply don't have as much experience with the Disc play-style and "rotation").

I was hoping to get some general tips on which spells/cooldowns to use when on the fight, and I'll provide logs in case anyone cares to get more in-depth than that (which I would certainly welcome).

Some general things I'm doing:
    • Offensive penance more-or-less on CD
    • Shield tanks constantly
    • Solace on CD (having some difficulties doing this during transition phases as I have to keep changing my focus target)
    • Shield players who get the Arcane Wrath bounces (our hunters are supposed to take this)
    • Shield people for arcane novas (I need to work on this more)
    • Keep up PoM, especially when Arcane Aberrations come out
    • EAA + PoH + Cascade as Aberrations come out
    • Shield players who get fixated during transition
    • Use PW:Barrier when the raid leader calls for it (usually as exploding adds are dying during transition phases)
    • Use Power Infusion when I unexpectedly have to shield a lot of people really fast

Here's muh logs:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ce=13&fight=16
    As you can see, there were a lot of pulls, and some were much longer than others. I think my spell-usage evolved quite a bit over the course of the night. We only saw the final phase on 3 or 4 pulls.
    My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssarily/simple
    My only note on my gear is that I have been trying to find a middle-ground between Holy and Disc itemization but have finally begun to abandon that (that's why there's still a haste gem in my belt) in favor of pure Disc mastery.

Thanks

Deleted
    Had the same hps as you when I pugged HC and downed him, only difference is I didn't have atonement and casted holy nova when arcane adds spawn since it's decently efficient.

Wipes are pretty much because DPS is way below par and probably people messing up causing unhealable deaths, as long as wraths are being shielded and you are blanket shielding on intermission-arcane spawns and p4 you're doing fine.

2 things:

- Never hard cast PoM
    - Use Power Infusion when you expectedly have to shield a lot of people really fast

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    Had the same hps as you when I pugged HC and downed him, only difference is I didn't have atonement and casted holy nova when arcane adds spawn since it's decently efficient.

Wipes are pretty much because DPS is way below par and probably people messing up causing unhealable deaths, as long as wraths are being shielded and you are blanket shielding on intermission-arcane spawns and p4 you're doing fine.
    Thanks. I've heard a lot of people on these forums complain about how nerfed holy-nova is barely worth casting, so I've been trying to resist the temptation to use it for AoE healing. I know the raid is still screwing up a lot of mechanics stuff, which makes me pretty confident it's not me specifically that's holding us back, but I still want to make sure I'm doing absolutely everything I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    2 things:

- Never hard cast PoM
    - Use Power Infusion when you expectedly have to shield a lot of people really fast
    Yeah, I realized the Power Infusion thing as I was typing it, and frankly this was one of my bigger issues (the logs will reveal my uptime with it is terrible). Any suggestions about reliable times to pop it?

And yeah, I guess the PoM thing has been ingrained in me from Holy. I figured with the pulsing damage from Aberrations, all the bounces would get used immediately. But looking at the logs, the average heal from it was 9.5k, so 6 of those is really not that great of a use for that GCD.

1. Cascade is your most efficient heal coming in at 112k per average use, you could probably have used it 5-6 more times on the longer fights.
    2. You are also sometimes delaying PW:Solace use, generally you want to use it on CD every single time, P4 mana is important(some attempts you missed as many as 15-16 uses and that's 50k free mana).

That being said I did this on my priest at 658 ilvl on Sunday night(no healing trinkets/rings/neck I'm a Spriest main who has to disc often due to a lack of quality healers) and we 5 healed it with 18 people and I was pretty much exactly where you are meters wise. I did look at the rest of your log, we had 11 DPS in our raid and all of them were above 22k, which leads me to believe healing would be much easier in your group with better dps on adds and lead to easier shorter phases. Just some food for thought.
    Pew Pew Pow Pow Bam Pop Smack

Quote Originally Posted by Zlebar View Post
    1. Cascade is your most efficient heal coming in at 112k per average use, you could probably have used it 5-6 more times on the longer fights.
    2. You are also sometimes delaying PW:Solace use, generally you want to use it on CD every single time, P4 mana is important(some attempts you missed as many as 15-16 uses and that's 50k free mana).

That being said I did this on my priest at 658 ilvl on Sunday night(no healing trinkets/rings/neck I'm a Spriest main who has to disc often due to a lack of quality healers) and we 5 healed it with 18 people and I was pretty much exactly where you are meters wise. I did look at the rest of your log, we had 11 DPS in our raid and all of them were above 22k, which leads me to believe healing would be much easier in your group with better dps on adds and lead to easier shorter phases. Just some food for thought.
    I'm a bit hesitant to simply cast cascade on cooldown, because sometimes the raid damage isn't spread out enough to justify it. But I'll try to find other opportunities to throw it out - right as arcane novas are firing off, perhaps.

Thanks for the other tips. We may need to take a serious look at our raid composition.

10+ Year Old Account
    looking at the last wipe, why is your raids activity so low?
    Just a genuine question.

Anyways your healing is fine, its your dps that has to step up a bunch.

following people either need to be replaced or step up their game.

Xenagos the shaman his dps is shit no offense with 652 ilvl he should at least do 18k dps
    Hebrewlawyer the mage is equally bad.

rest is okay, dps on this fight needs to be around 19k+

also your holy priest friend is a bit low but im guessing its because of the low ilvl
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2015-01-07 at 01:49 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post
    Yeah, I realized the Power Infusion thing as I was typing it, and frankly this was one of my bigger issues (the logs will reveal my uptime with it is terrible). Any suggestions about reliable times to pop it?
    For Imperator use it during any of the following scenarios:

- Big Add spawns or is about to spawn
    - 10 sec before force nova so that you can pre-shield
    - Little adds are getting aoe'd down after the intermission; you can even pop it during the intermission if people are aoe happy with the adds
    - If you take Clarity of Will you can use Power Infusion to heal the reaver tank

Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post

[*]Offensive penance more-or-less on CD

Didnt analyze the logs or anything , because this caught up my attention : Never use offensive penance ,its not worth AT ALL.Use it on cd to spot heal tanks or whoevers takes a damage spike.
    Another advice , maybe not so good ,but works decent : when add and / or wave come , you can use HN + WoM talent ( so you dont ever have to force cast PoM ).

Quote Originally Posted by Tataie View Post
    Didnt analyze the logs or anything , because this caught up my attention : Never use offensive penance ,its not worth AT ALL.Use it on cd to spot heal tanks or whoevers takes a damage spike.
    Another advice , maybe not so good ,but works decent : when add and / or wave come , you can use HN + WoM talent ( so you dont ever have to force cast PoM ).
    Offensive Penance is actually fine once you include the value of 1 stack AA into the calculations - provided you don't go over 5 stacks AA.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Thanks for the PI tips Haywire, I'll try those out.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    looking at the last wipe, why is your raids activity so low?
    Just a genuine question.
    I honestly have no idea . I don't actually know how activity is calculated, I always assumed it was just time spent using abilities (does it factor in moving your character if you're not using abilities?), but I've seen a lot of odd activity %'s that seemed to preclude this possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    also your holy priest friend is a bit low but im guessing its because of the low ilvl
    Yeah, he's a fairly new raider, and he is shadow 97% of the time, but we decided that we couldn't 3-heal this.

He's doing a lot of weird stuff...casting Heal more than Renew, having a TON of Echo of Light healing, using glyph of purify, not using glyphed binding heal (or casting binding heal), getting a LOT of overhealing out of his Divine Hymn, etc. Some of that can be sort of explained by his gear - he is heavily stacking mastery (because of shadow main-spec), which is extremely detrimental to the traditional Renew/Circle of Healing play-style.

He was also using Divine Star over Cascade on a lot of the pulls, saying that the raid's stacked positioning made it viable. This sounds plausible to me...the only objection I could think of is that DS is pretty useless on the final phase, which is arguably the most difficult one.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tataie View Post
    Offensive Penance is actually fine once you include the value of 1 stack AA into the calculations - provided you don't go over 5 stacks AA.
    I suspect I did go over 5 stacks a few times, that sounds like a lot to micromanage (he says, after asking for fine-tuning advice). Admittedly I feel uncomfortable about using penance to spot heal directly, because I can only imagine a handful of situations where it wouldn't overheal by at least 50%. That said, it heals for less than 50% of it's normal value when used offensively, so...shrug ? I guess I'll just try to hit AA more often, so then wasting stacks shouldn't be an issue.