Question [Balance] Wild Mushroom

History of spell:
    1. Added in Cataclysm as a new spell. Placing had cast time, shroom get invis after 6s and detonate for negligible damage, what make that spell basically useless (useful only as bg anticap spell).
    2. Changed in Cataclysm, removed casting time for placing and overbuffed damage for detonate. It made moonkins boss in pve aoe dmg (200k dps in cho'gal raid and so), powerful in pvp when you setup dmg and detonate it same time with nukehit.
    3. Nerfed in MoP, probably useless whole mop time (i dont know didnt play it)
    4. Changed in WoD so its 50% snare zone.
    5. Somewhere it was nerfed as a pointer for wild charge, bcs nonaccessible place abuse ...

IMHO: If i dont count talbuk farming in nagrand i found this spell pretty useless. For RBG we have already vortex/typhoon and they are both better in slowdown job. Mostly its looks like waste of gcd and waste of bind. I used it for slowdown in pvp, but started using faerie swarm what i found more potent and much more worth of gcd.

What do you think about current [balance]wild mushroom spell?

Deleted
    Current one is pretty much useless.
    I just see no situation where it could be useful.
    I liked the concept to use it when aoe dmg is needed soon, so you can place them right before and explode them when you need.
    Liked how it was in Dragonsoul.

In MoP you could place three mushrooms under the boss pre pull, then detonate them (off the GCD) in your opener to make your trinkets proc. This made wipe recovery kinda annoying but I liked it.

Now all they're useful for is drawing patterns on the ground while jumping in circles in a city. I like 6.0 Balance aoe how it is so I'm glad they are not part of the aoe rotation.

I'm using it all the time when doing apexis daily's, kiting the mobs with shrooms and starfall, excellent

So looks like its only for meaningless trash farm. Should not spells have more usage like that? We had already useless spell like that called "Soothe", in past it wasnt "frenzy dispel" like its now. Soothe is right now perfect for pvp too as spellreflect counter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kranq View Post
    Current one is pretty much useless.
    I just see no situation where it could be useful.
    I liked the concept to use it when aoe dmg is needed soon, so you can place them right before and explode them when you need.
    Liked how it was in Dragonsoul.

I believe you mean firelands. More so for Ragnaros.
    They weren't really used in DS for anything. Except for slowing on Yor Sahj.

I'd take WoD Starfall over Cata Mushrooms any day. Sure they were OP but they were also clunky to use, slightly mitigated by the fact that not cycling eclipses didn't hurt NG uptime.

The slow effect has come in handy a few times, since the expansion released. Kiting mobs in the open world etc.

Quote Originally Posted by narzhul View Post
    I believe you mean firelands. More so for Ragnaros.
    They weren't really used in DS for anything. Except for slowing on Yor Sahj.
    And AoEing the Forgotten Ones on same boss. Run and Detonate the Crystals on Hagara, slow Sappers on Ship, Spine bloods, Madness last phase aoe.
    But yeah, their use probably peaked in FL with Rhyo, Beth and Raggy.

Deleted
    An idea I had was that mushrooms could be used as part of our AoE rotation in order to make it more interesting than "Is Starfall up? Yes? Cool, I'll DoT then." Perhaps it could deal ticking damage to all mobs in its radius, and for every SF/MF on the target the damage amplifies/shroom grows?. This would be especially interesting if they had a small-medium uptime, maybe 10s?

Alternatively it could buff just the damage of DoTs in the area, and perhaps could work similar to unglyphed resto mushroom in that it spawns under a target rather than a placement.

Currently mushrooms just don't have much use tbh, which is a shame because I find them cool. And our AoE rotation is really really boring since Hurricane is pretty damn bad.
    Last edited by mmoc14881f63b8; 2015-01-07 at 05:20 PM.

They come in handy during pvp, kiting a melee target around a pillar whilst you heal up...

Deleted
    personally i would have liked to see mushrooms replace hurricane, but maybe having 2 usable aoe's while moving would have been too op.

Deleted
    Well shrooms are like hurricane in aoe situations right now. Complete garbage.
    Shrooms no dmg and hurricane no dmg...

I think that we cannot have WM with dmg component right now, bcs we have already Sunfire+Huricane+Starfall. They could replace sunfire with WM aoe but it will be just another "cataclysm", what they already tried and didnt liked (probably bcs confusion when to wm and when to dot).

So imho best bet for WM could be some pvp usage, but something more like very occasional pillar kitting. Moonkins have very low skill mechanic right now. After solar beam nerf even skillshot vortex+solar is dead (you cannot silence ppl again when draged by vortex)
    We have basically (top->low):
    1. Solar + Root
    2. Starsurge -> Auramastery + CC
    3. Choosing when to Starfall and when to Starsurge
    4. Healing partners
    5. Regular CC
    6. Dotting
    What about wm like this:
    Wild Mushroom
    40 yd range
    Instant
    Requires Druid (Balance)
    Requires level 84
    Cooldown 2min
    Grow a magical mushroom with 5 health at the target location that lasts 20 sec.
    After 4s mushroom starts emits a fungal cloud that paralyze all enemies within 5 yards for 3s.
    Effect of paralyze can occour only once per mushroom.
    Only 1 mushroom can be summoned.
    Basicaly skillshot cc on long cd and synergy with root/vortex/bash.

not everything is worthless just because it has no direct application in the current raid tier.

as it is its an excellent part of our toolkit. in the beginning of the expansion i solo'd so many UBRS ogres by kiting them around after the tank got squished, for example.

it will be excellent if we ever get another fight like maloriak, heroic protectors, lady deathwhisper, deathwing, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    it will be excellent if we ever get another fight like maloriak, heroic protectors, lady deathwhisper, deathwing, etc etc.
    Was not that "excellence" tied to damage component of that spell (aka not this case anymore), as it was highest burst aoe dps spell in game on that encounters ?