15+ Year Old Account

Prayer of Healing as Disc

I was in this pug last night and doing fine on the meters (going back & forth between top healer) and was surprised to get (unwanted) feedback from this lock about Prayer of Healing. He claimed that POH is shit for disc. Anyone find this to be any bit true? If it is, what am I supposed to be doing for AOE healing on fights like Butcher or Ko'ragh?

I am assuming he is referring to non-EAA PoH casts. EAA PoH is the highest HPET/HPM spell aside from the T90 talents, but non-EAA PoH costs 3x the mana of PW:S for a small increase in HPET.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I was in this pug last night and doing fine on the meters (going back & forth between top healer) and was surprised to get (unwanted) feedback from this lock about Prayer of Healing. He claimed that POH is shit for disc. Anyone find this to be any bit true? If it is, what am I supposed to be doing for AOE healing on fights like Butcher or Ko'ragh?
    I chuckled at "unwanted"...

PosPos didn't actually answer your question - you should only be casting PoH when you have the single-use buff from Empowered Archangel that gives your next heal 100% critical strike chance, which turns PoH into a 5-man absorb shield with Divine Aegis. What you should be casting otherwise is your level 90 talent (probably Cascade) if raid damage spread justifies it, and blanket Power Word: Shields (possibly with Power Infusion if you need to get a lot of them up fast).

Ko'ragh doesn't really have "aoe damage", you should be able to focus on the tanks and spot heal the raid with shields. For Butcher, ask your raid leader to set up raid groups to correspond to the cleave soaking groups, and then just PW:Shield the hell out of whichever group is currently soaking. With 4 soakers, by the time you've cast your 5th shield (on the tank), the 1st soaker's Weakened Soul debuff will have expired, and you can just keep going. Nonstop.
    Last edited by Necessarily; 2015-01-10 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post
    I chuckled at "unwanted"...

PosPos didn't actually answer your question - you should only be casting PoH when you have the single-use buff from Empowered Archangel that gives your next heal 100% critical strike chance, which turns PoH into a 5-man absorb shield with Divine Aegis. What you should be casting otherwise is your level 90 talent (probably Cascade) if raid damage spread justifies it, and blanket Power Word: Shields (possibly with Power Infusion if you need to get a lot of them up fast).
    He did answer. Read in-between the lines.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post
    Ko'ragh doesn't really have "aoe damage", you should be able to focus on the tanks and spot heal the raid with shields.
    I was mostly referring to AOE healing from Shadow. Currently we're running 3 healers and its a resto shaman, holy priest, and sometimes me a disc priest when I heal for my guild. We struggle with the third Shadow because I simply have no big AOE heal like the other 2. I'm happy when our monk healer is there and I can dps. So I guess I'm asking on that fight what should I be using instead of POH to get rid of the Shadow?

I was mostly referring to AOE healing from Shadow. Currently we're running 3 healers and its a resto shaman, holy priest, and sometimes me a disc priest when I heal for my guild. We struggle with the third Shadow because I simply have no big AOE heal like the other 2. I'm happy when our monk healer is there and I can dps. So I guess I'm asking on that fight what should I be using instead of POH to get rid of the Shadow?
    PW:S for throughput healers to hot them up with efficient heals.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

So simply, the "unwanted" feedback is true as you would have noticed if you bothered reading some of the topics in this forum. You only cast PoH once after your Archangel and that's it.

Deleted
    What would you do in AOE situations? If Holy Nova worth hitting over POH?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybp View Post
    Cascade/hit PW:S harder.

Holy Nova is so inefficient and pretty much heals for nothing of note as of this point.

Disc doesn't have any practical way to top up the raid after a drop in health outside of Cascade/T90, so they can only preshield or rely on other healers to throughput heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybp View Post
    If you can manage your mana then SS before AoE happens. This is incredibly mana intensive though and currently can be fully used only on Brack. You can use it partially, but then you're probably wasting a talent.
    If SS is not an option (it usually isn't), then what Pos wrote.
    Last edited by maizensh; 2015-01-11 at 08:43 AM.

Deleted
    When it comes to the shadow debuff as disc don't worry about clearing the raid just focus important targets and shield those losing heath then use single target to drop the debuff on those who still have it, you are wasting your time and mana as disc casting PoH on that debuff.