Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
... LastLast
  1. #361
    Elemental Lord Golden Yak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Sunny Beaches of Canada
    Posts
    8,835
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    As much as I would like to see an Azshara expansion, one this doesn't really make a sense. Why would she rise her kingdom on a surface? Wouldn't she have an major advantage fighting us under the water? The pelagic zones are very strong fortress on their own.

    Then there is this problem. People would hate whole expansion like a Vashj'ir zone.
    There's a couple reasons.

    The one I started with was gameplay. As you said, an entire expansion with every zone like that would not likely go over well. I loved Vashj'ir personally, but even I don't want an entire expansion with every zone being underwater.

    So having everything underwater was out - stuff had to come to the surface. There was precedent with Gul'dan raising the Broken Isles to get at the Tomb of Sargeras, and I liked the image of Azshara duplicating the spell but amplifying it a hundred fold to give us Zin-Azshari.

    As for lore-based rationalizations for it? Yes, Azshara wanted to again rule under starlight. Unwise from a military perspective? Maybe - Azshara doesn't care. I'll go into this more in Patch X.4, but Azshara doesn't care about the naga, or even her enemies really. She wanted a bloodbath, it didn't matter on which side. She never planed to conquer the world with the naga. She plans to conquer it with N'Zoth.

  2. #362
    So nice , the only thing is that i hate wordls based on sea scenarios....Hate to play under water

  3. #363
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Unwise from a military perspective? Maybe - Azshara doesn't care. I'll go into this more in Patch X.4, but Azshara doesn't care about the naga, or even her enemies really. She wanted a bloodbath, it didn't matter on which side. She never planed to conquer the world with the naga. She plans to conquer it with N'Zoth.
    Yeah that's what I thought aswell. I mean Azshara is pretty arrogant. She is power hungry and she uses her forces as tools and will throw them away if she has to. Thats why i could imagine some Naga to turn away from her once they realize that she is just using them. Making them potentially join the horde or alliance to take their former queen out.

  4. #364
    The Insane General Zanjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Heart of Azeroth
    Posts
    15,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    There's a couple reasons.

    The one I started with was gameplay. As you said, an entire expansion with every zone like that would not likely go over well. I loved Vashj'ir personally, but even I don't want an entire expansion with every zone being underwater.

    So having everything underwater was out - stuff had to come to the surface. There was precedent with Gul'dan raising the Broken Isles to get at the Tomb of Sargeras, and I liked the image of Azshara duplicating the spell but amplifying it a hundred fold to give us Zin-Azshari.

    As for lore-based rationalizations for it? Yes, Azshara wanted to again rule under starlight. Unwise from a military perspective? Maybe - Azshara doesn't care. I'll go into this more in Patch X.4, but Azshara doesn't care about the naga, or even her enemies really. She wanted a bloodbath, it didn't matter on which side. She never planed to conquer the world with the naga. She plans to conquer it with N'Zoth.
    azshara has the water elemental lord captured so she technically could control the seas to make it harder for ships to reach the islands.
    also she is backed by an old god.
    #tracerisawesomelycute
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ght=shada%27in
    Mods are bias
    "I believe in honor but when it comes to war i will do whatever it takes to protect or save my family" -General Zanjin

  5. #365
    Made an account just to comment on this because it's so awesome. I think if this would release without 4th specs and path of war it'd be really solid, and if there would be a way to add them in a balanced form it would make it one of the best expacs.

    Warships could have more focus instead of balancing a 4th spec for all classes and a totally new leveling system, maybe make some sort of viable ship endgame with pve and pvp ship battles, dailies/questlines and like you said small group content (5-10 man) that ramps up in difficulty, and resource gathering (gathering bonuses in the zone your ship is docked into port ex: increase amounts gathered or chance to find nodes, if you want players back to gathering stuff into the world that is), with some players choosing to be a badass pirate that's pretty much always at sea. Pirate gear, drinking, looting and all that good stuff.

    For players that hate water, there could be an option right at the beginning in Kul'Tiras/Bloodsail where you get to choose a landlubber's questing path or to go for the submerged areas as well, make it clear that they'll get to avoid water. Oh and, flying mounts too, at max level, with a quest or not doesn't matter, just anything to show those that don't wanna swim at all that they won't have to (though WoW's always had stuff underwater so could be some things that are less avoidable).

    As for the theme and expending main villains/getting too close to Sargeras, I don't think the next confrontation with the legion necessarily has to be the last, and if they can make expansions on pandas (which wasn't bad) and time travel orcs (ugh), after they ruined Deathwing mind you, I'm sure as hell they can make Emerald Dream, Azshara and even Spider Kingdom expansions or one that's in the twisting nether around Outland. Some people here acting like Azshara would be too niche is pretty puzzling, they pulled Pandaria lore out of their asses completely and then had a time travel expansion which for a long time people said would be niche, and on top of it doesn't even have to do with the Caverns of Time and almost barely nothing to do with the dragons. Yes they got to that world because of them but it's all about "retelling the story of the orc warlords to new players" which could've been told in a book instead of being a main thing (likewise with having Pandaria as a book instead of ED, but whateva).

    /rant buuuuuuut anyways excellent job, I know it would be different if you were presenting your ideas and more in depth stuff to a group, but the general concept is great and like some said very warcrafty. Last thing, keeping in theme with last expacs upgrading old dungeons, you could have lvl 110 heroic versions of the 3 outland naga dungeons, if you don't have more dungeons already planned for patches.
    Last edited by Sonibla; 2015-04-05 at 06:58 PM.

  6. #366
    Scarab Lord Gamevizier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, US
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    I love the quality of your post, especially the pictures.

    As much as I would like to see an Azshara expansion, one this doesn't really make a sense. Why would she rise her kingdom on a surface? Wouldn't she have an major advantage fighting us under the water? The pelagic zones are very strong fortress on their own.

    Then there is this problem. People would hate whole expansion like a Vashj'ir zone.
    it can be explained that Azshara gets frustrated by N'zoth and decides to side with her previous master (Sargares), as she preps her Naga up to summon the demon lord the old god realizes her plans and casts her capital and much of her kingdom to the surface. therefore allowing the mortals to attack her realm and stop her before she summons the burning legion. (burning legion posses an existential threat to the old gods)

    so that us "mortals" will be actually doing the old gods bidding for once. (though N'zoth is actually using us to take care of Azshara) thus aligning with them in an alliance of convenience.

  7. #367
    Elemental Lord Golden Yak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Sunny Beaches of Canada
    Posts
    8,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought aswell. I mean Azshara is pretty arrogant. She is power hungry and she uses her forces as tools and will throw them away if she has to. Thats why i could imagine some Naga to turn away from her once they realize that she is just using them. Making them potentially join the horde or alliance to take their former queen out.
    If I were to make a neutral race for this sort of expansion, it would definitely be the naga, and they would work in a way similar to the merrow NPC race that I made. Azshara's plan and what the Old God N'Zoth intend could well be motivating factors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    azshara has the water elemental lord captured so she technically could control the seas to make it harder for ships to reach the islands.
    also she is backed by an old god.
    Yep, and various quests and raid events would make it clear what kind of power Azshara is packing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonibla View Post
    /rant buuuuuuut anyways excellent job, I know it would be different if you were presenting your ideas and more in depth stuff to a group, but the general concept is great and like some said very warcrafty. Last thing, keeping in theme with last expacs upgrading old dungeons, you could have lvl 110 heroic versions of the 3 outland naga dungeons, if you don't have more dungeons already planned for patches.
    Thanks! I hadn't planned to update any older dungeons, but it would be neat to have some of the Outland naga return to the fold in some way. Maybe Blizzard will do something like that if they go ahead with this wacky idea of Illidan coming back - Azshara could revive him after the naga bring her his remains or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    it can be explained that Azshara gets frustrated by N'zoth and decides to side with her previous master (Sargares), as she preps her Naga up to summon the demon lord the old god realizes her plans and casts her capital and much of her kingdom to the surface. therefore allowing the mortals to attack her realm and stop her before she summons the burning legion. (burning legion posses an existential threat to the old gods)

    so that us "mortals" will be actually doing the old gods bidding for once. (though N'zoth is actually using us to take care of Azshara) thus aligning with them in an alliance of convenience.
    Full disclosure, Azshara won't be having any contact with Sargeras as far as my story goes. I just really couldn't think of any reason why she should realistically want to. She had brief contact with him 10,000 years ago and arguably only was interested in him because of the corruptive influence of his power, which was enough to convince her to abandon her people without a second thought. She's been disconnected from that for millennia and in the corruptive influence of N'Zoth all that time. If anything, N'Zoth is who she's carrying a torch for now.

  8. #368
    I REALLY like the expansion idea overall, but I'm not loving the idea of both Azshara AND Pluton, the X.0 bosses, both being setbacks to face later. I understand the necessity for Azshara, being queen of the Naga and all, but I don't know if Pluton should have come back. But ah, whatever. This is the kind of expansion that I'd just love anyways. Great job on it!

  9. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    She had brief contact with him 10,000 years ago and arguably only was interested in him because of the corruptive influence of his power, which was enough to convince her to abandon her people without a second thought. She's been disconnected from that for millennia and in the corruptive influence of N'Zoth all that time. If anything, N'Zoth is who she's carrying a torch for now.
    You think she forgot..? I do think that connection was very important to what happend in her past. The legion was all around it.
    I am not so sure if N'zoth is comfirmed to have any connections to Azshra to begin with. It does sounds good tho, but I don't think Azshara has forgotten what happend.

    Maybe she even think the legion failed HER? hmm.


    Edit: I do like the idea many are very good!

  10. #370
    Mechagnome DarkspearNeverDie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Stranglethorn Vale
    Posts
    504
    I was rummaging through some old screen shots and came upon one during WoTLK of Oacha'noa! She was never expanded upon (to my knowledge) but she's apparently an Eternal (her title said Goddess) and a massive Kraken to boot. Will she see any limelight in your expansion idea?

    Also, what about Ula-Tek?

    So many worthy adversaries lurking deep down in the water.

  11. #371
    Scarab Lord Oneirophobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Ontario, CAN
    Posts
    4,654
    Why is Neptulon a bad guy He was one of the nice elemental lords. Good Guy Neptulon, Therazane queen of thinly veiled hostility and then neutrality, Al'aqir the lawful evil, and literally Hitler Ragnaros.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I am not so sure if N'zoth is comfirmed to have any connections to Azshra to begin with.
    Somebody didnt play through Vashjir.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkspearNeverDie View Post
    I was rummaging through some old screen shots and came upon one during WoTLK of Oacha'noa! She was never expanded upon (to my knowledge) but she's apparently an Eternal (her title said Goddess) and a massive Kraken to boot. Will she see any limelight in your expansion idea?

    Also, what about Ula-Tek?

    So many worthy adversaries lurking deep down in the water.
    TUSKAAR EXPANSIOOONNN

  12. #372
    I usually don't care much for fan concepts but I have to admit the amount of work you put into this is pretty cool. The only thing I don't see working out very well is the area the expansion seems to be mostly taking place at. People HATED the underwater questing area in Cata so to have a whole continent underwater would be a disaster I would think. That's assuming that those areas are underwater that is.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  13. #373
    Deleted
    Where is the naga playable race feature though :X The one thing I am looking forward to the most with an overseas expansion.

  14. #374
    Scarab Lord Gamevizier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, US
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    She had brief contact with him 10,000 years ago and arguably only was interested in him because of the corruptive influence of his power, which was enough to convince her to abandon her people without a second thought. She's been disconnected from that for millennia and in the corruptive influence of N'Zoth all that time. If anything, N'Zoth is who she's carrying a torch for now.
    it seems more that Azshara had no choice but to accept N'zoth's offer. whereas she actively sought Sargares and made a pact with him on her own.

    and about the legion :

    Azshara was extremely charismatic. Her physical and mental appeal were such that virtually no one noticed her more negative qualities. The vast majority of her servitors were willing to go to any means to elevate themselves in her eyes, even at the cost of their own lives. When Sargeras was contacted Azshara was elated, thinking she had finally found a mate worthy of her. Azshara is known to have used sorcery to increase her appeal, as proved when Illidan detected her spell shortly after receiving his new eyes. Xavius, who considered himself above her charms, was, in fact, completely enamored; Azshara was certainly powerful enough to do so. Mannoroth discovered, to his chagrin, that Azshara was far more powerful than he, and that only Archimonde, Kil'Jaeden, and Sargeras would prove superior.
    in Azshara's eyes her people (Kal'dorei) were imperfect creatures, she wanted the legion to slaughter the night elves so that she can create their society in her image. Azshara was also interested in Sargares because he was the only being with stronger magic than her. The way I see her she can easily betray the old gods and make good with the legion should she be provided with the opportunity.

  15. #375
    If we added my boat combat idea & one loadscreen azeroth, vast oceans, it would make the perfect expansion with the perfect new feature.

  16. #376
    Elemental Lord Golden Yak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Sunny Beaches of Canada
    Posts
    8,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawclaw View Post
    I REALLY like the expansion idea overall, but I'm not loving the idea of both Azshara AND Pluton, the X.0 bosses, both being setbacks to face later. I understand the necessity for Azshara, being queen of the Naga and all, but I don't know if Pluton should have come back. But ah, whatever. This is the kind of expansion that I'd just love anyways. Great job on it!
    Thanks! I'm a sucker for recurring villains - initially it was just going to be Charon, Pluton's right-hand man, who returned for part of the Zuldazar raid. But I liked Pluton so much I wanted more of him.

    Azshara will definitely be seen again for a final showdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    You think she forgot..? I do think that connection was very important to what happend in her past. The legion was all around it.
    I am not so sure if N'zoth is comfirmed to have any connections to Azshra to begin with. It does sounds good tho, but I don't think Azshara has forgotten what happend.

    Maybe she even think the legion failed HER? hmm.
    That's what I think. I definitely don't think she forgot, but she became obsessed with Sargeras in the first place because of his power reaching out and affecting her. That power hasn't been able to reach her for over 10,000 years, but N'Zoth's has. I definitely think she feels like Sargeras stood her up - in the novels War of the Ancients, when her palace is consumed by the Sundering she expresses disappointment that Sargeras wasn't going to be coming.

    I doubt you get any second chances with Azshara. Sargeras blew it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkspearNeverDie View Post
    I was rummaging through some old screen shots and came upon one during WoTLK of Oacha'noa! She was never expanded upon (to my knowledge) but she's apparently an Eternal (her title said Goddess) and a massive Kraken to boot. Will she see any limelight in your expansion idea?

    Also, what about Ula-Tek?

    So many worthy adversaries lurking deep down in the water.
    Good idea! I'd forgotten about them, but I can definitely think of some places where those loa would fit in perfectly, especially given my latest patch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Why is Neptulon a bad guy He was one of the nice elemental lords. Good Guy Neptulon, Therazane queen of thinly veiled hostility and then neutrality, Al'aqir the lawful evil, and literally Hitler Ragnaros.
    Early lore material actually describes Neptulon as the most powerful and evil of the four elemental lords. I decided to have him go that route. 'The only good mortal is a dead mortal.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I usually don't care much for fan concepts but I have to admit the amount of work you put into this is pretty cool. The only thing I don't see working out very well is the area the expansion seems to be mostly taking place at. People HATED the underwater questing area in Cata so to have a whole continent underwater would be a disaster I would think. That's assuming that those areas are underwater that is.
    They aren't. OP Feature List mentions that the continent of Zin-Azshari is made of lands raised to the surface by Azshara. And more people than you think enjoyed Vashj'ir. I did, though even I wouldn't want an entire expansion's worth of zones underwater. Instead, each zone has a few subzones that take place underwater.

    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    it seems more that Azshara had no choice but to accept N'zoth's offer. whereas she actively sought Sargares and made a pact with him on her own.
    No, not quite. Her highborn mages were experimenting with the Well of Eternity and that drew Sargeras' attentions to Azeroth, at which point his influence began to corrupt them. Azshara didn't know about him and couldn't have gone looking for him deliberately.

    We'll never know what kind of ruler Azshara would have been if the Legion had never been drawn to Azeroth - she was clearly quite vain and self-centered but appears to have been well thought-of by the populace. She wasn't evidently a cruel or oppressive tyrant.

    Azshara could have possibly rejected N'Zoth's offer, though it would have meant certain death. But she was not transformed by it until she willingly accepted service to it.

  17. #377
    Love the idea, its an interesting twist to an Azshara expansion.

  18. #378
    Still on the topic of the Zandalari raid, what exactly happened to the Prophet Zul? He is an important figure in the Zandalari storyline, but there's no trace of him in the raid.

  19. #379
    Elemental Lord Golden Yak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Sunny Beaches of Canada
    Posts
    8,835
    Update! All the Patch 6.2 buzz has me aglow, so I put the last few touches on my concept for the next raid in the Reign of Azshara concept.

    http://wow.gamepedia.com/User:Golden...aro_Undervault

    Long ago, the goblin race obtained an unrivaled level of knowledge, enabling them to create fantastic machines and technology more advanced than any other race. The goblins eventually lost much of their advanced intellect, retaining only the level of development they currently have today. The last of the goblin ancients, before losing their intelligence entirely, sealed their greatest achievements deep in vaults beneath their island home of Kezan, knowing that the technology would be too dangerous to leave in the hands of the beings they would inevitably become.

    The Cataclysm drove the goblins from Kezan, but at last they've returned to reclaim their homeland. The ravages wrought upon their island home have uncovered the ancient vaults hidden deep beneath the volcanic Mount Kajaro. Undeterred by the warnings of their long lost ancestors, the goblins have opened the vaults, intending to explore and exploit the advanced technology hidden within. Instead they've only unleashed a terrible threat upon Kezan, and perhaps all of Azeroth.

    Buried within the Vault is an ancient thinking machine, built over 20,000 years ago by the goblin ancestors. Isolated for millennia, the machine has become deranged, believing itself superior to flesh and blood life. Calling itself Galvanus, it has taken control of the ancient forge mechanisms within the Vault, and is building an army of machine-golems that it intends to use to conquer first Kezan, then spread out across the entire world, destroying everything that lives.

    They are the Legion Ex Machina. All that lives is their enemy.

    ______________

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawclaw View Post
    Still on the topic of the Zandalari raid, what exactly happened to the Prophet Zul? He is an important figure in the Zandalari storyline, but there's no trace of him in the raid.

    I was really stuck with what to do about Zul - I might be overly cautious with this sort of thing, but if there's a character kicking around somewhere in Blizzard's official lore I'm shy about using them as a boss or something, in case it causes a conflict or continuity error with lore. I'm certain Blizzard plans to do something with Zul, so I wound up not using him as a boss.

    I find myself leaning more towards having Zul be part of the zandalari that actually appeal to the Alliance and the Horde for help in defending Zandalar from the stygians and the undead, making Zul into a non-hostile NPC leader, rather than having him as a raid boss.

  20. #380
    The Insane General Zanjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Heart of Azeroth
    Posts
    15,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Update! All the Patch 6.2 buzz has me aglow, so I put the last few touches on my concept for the next raid in the Reign of Azshara concept.

    http://wow.gamepedia.com/User:Golden...aro_Undervault

    Long ago, the goblin race obtained an unrivaled level of knowledge, enabling them to create fantastic machines and technology more advanced than any other race. The goblins eventually lost much of their advanced intellect, retaining only the level of development they currently have today. The last of the goblin ancients, before losing their intelligence entirely, sealed their greatest achievements deep in vaults beneath their island home of Kezan, knowing that the technology would be too dangerous to leave in the hands of the beings they would inevitably become.

    The Cataclysm drove the goblins from Kezan, but at last they've returned to reclaim their homeland. The ravages wrought upon their island home have uncovered the ancient vaults hidden deep beneath the volcanic Mount Kajaro. Undeterred by the warnings of their long lost ancestors, the goblins have opened the vaults, intending to explore and exploit the advanced technology hidden within. Instead they've only unleashed a terrible threat upon Kezan, and perhaps all of Azeroth.

    Buried within the Vault is an ancient thinking machine, built over 20,000 years ago by the goblin ancestors. Isolated for millennia, the machine has become deranged, believing itself superior to flesh and blood life. Calling itself Galvanus, it has taken control of the ancient forge mechanisms within the Vault, and is building an army of machine-golems that it intends to use to conquer first Kezan, then spread out across the entire world, destroying everything that lives.

    They are the Legion Ex Machina. All that lives is their enemy.

    ______________




    I was really stuck with what to do about Zul - I might be overly cautious with this sort of thing, but if there's a character kicking around somewhere in Blizzard's official lore I'm shy about using them as a boss or something, in case it causes a conflict or continuity error with lore. I'm certain Blizzard plans to do something with Zul, so I wound up not using him as a boss.

    I find myself leaning more towards having Zul be part of the zandalari that actually appeal to the Alliance and the Horde for help in defending Zandalar from the stygians and the undead, making Zul into a non-hostile NPC leader, rather than having him as a raid boss.
    Problem with that is Zul wants us dead but don't know the opinion the Zandalari king has on the horde and alliance
    #tracerisawesomelycute
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ght=shada%27in
    Mods are bias
    "I believe in honor but when it comes to war i will do whatever it takes to protect or save my family" -General Zanjin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •