Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    Leg day aint bad, not even day after that. But that third day, i swear i was about to install handicap rails in my bathroom at one point when i was doing squats 4 times a week.

Still love it tho :0
    You weird people with your leg day.
    I just bike every day, more than enough and its cardio at the same time. Then bike to exhaustion once or twice a month. You can get muscular legs just from that.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2015-02-24 at 09:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all your input fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Nahuun View Post
    Thanks for all your input fellas
    Edit: forgot to add, on previous post, after 2-3 weeks you have created a habit, from there is simply a matter of adjusting exercices in order to reach exhaustion.
    You dont even need weights, body weight is more than enough to develop muscles, your body knows no difference between iron or you, what is important is to first know what is it that you want to begin with (if ripped abs, its more kitchen than exercise for example) and from there think what exercice you need to do, but the biggest part is reaching failure, and once you reach failure have a short rest and go again.

DO you want to be buff, or strong, or both? there is a lot to it.
    Only advice i can give, is if you havent done much with your body, do _not_ move your spine in your exercices, keep ti straight and avoid things that bend it more than a crunch. (which is just lifting your shoulderblades from the floor)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    You weird people with your leg day.
    I just bike every day, more than enough and its cardio at the same time. Then bike to exhaustion once or twice a month. You can get muscular legs just from that.
    For sure.

But the type of muscular development and the time-frame of which you achieve it is vastly different

It's why many athletes implement various squat and leg routines with weights instead of only biking

/31inchquadsreportingin

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    For sure.

But the type of muscular development and the time-frame of which you achieve it is vastly different

It's why many athletes implement various squat and leg routines with weights instead of only biking

/31inchquadsreportingin
    Oh of course, but then again it all comes to goals.
    I really dont like buffed bodies, so my type of training is mostly short bursts (HIIT/Interval), swimming and biking in order to avoid too much hypertrophy.
    OP might just want to be fit/healthy, not necessarily become a byson or a bodybuilder

I watched this BBC science show about how many people can exercise as little as 5 minutes every couple of days and stay fit. You need to really go out during those 5 minutes and get your heart rate up. Exercise bike, stairs etc. Turns out I am one of the people.

So that helps, cause I don't even break a sweat and it takes so little time.

The same guy also did a show about fasting which I tried also without as much success.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Edit: forgot to add, on previous post, after 2-3 weeks you have created a habit, from there is simply a matter of adjusting exercices in order to reach exhaustion.
    You dont even need weights, body weight is more than enough to develop muscles, your body knows no difference between iron or you, what is important is to first know what is it that you want to begin with (if ripped abs, its more kitchen than exercise for example) and from there think what exercice you need to do, but the biggest part is reaching failure, and once you reach failure have a short rest and go again.

DO you want to be buff, or strong, or both? there is a lot to it.
    Only advice i can give, is if you havent done much with your body, do _not_ move your spine in your exercices, keep ti straight and avoid things that bend it more than a crunch. (which is just lifting your shoulderblades from the floor)
    So I just gotta force myself till it becomes a habit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I watched this BBC exercise video about how some people can exercise as little as 5 minutes every couple of days and stay fit. You need to really go out during those 5 minutes and get your heart rate up. Exercise bike, stairs etc. Turns out I am one of the people.

So that helps, cause I don't even break a sweat and it takes so little time.
    Pretty much everyone can do it, its intensity that matters, not duration. Albeit, ofc, people have different body compositions so its easier for some than others, also learning this is important to know what type of exercise will have better results.
    Duration is to build hypertrophy and big muscles.

You can be quite fit merely by doing a 5m interval routine every day.

- - - Updated - - -

So I just gotta force myself till it becomes a habit?
    Pretty much... the issue with a lot of people is that they try too hard too fast, so they see it as hell, they dont create a habit and give up before anything.
    Also they expect too many results too fast.

First and foremost, what you need, is to create a habit, humans are creatures of habit.
    once its created, you can increase and start working towards goals.

7+ Year Old Account
    I watch Youtube Videos of electronic music because it usually has attractive people in it. Then I remind myself that I'll always be disgusting unless I go to the gym like them.

I also dropped money on a trainer which caused me to need to go to get my monies worth out of it. Now that I've been there for over 5 months and I look completely different from when I started, I don't think I can go back to my old habbits. I went to get fast food just the other day and it didn't sit well with me at all the entire night, something that's never happened to me before.

Eventually the habbit just sticks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are there any decent work out vids on Youtube? I never checked but I just assumed they were all low quality

Are there any decent work out vids on Youtube? I never checked but I just assumed they were all low quality
    yes there is tons of material, proper posture is crucial and that is the main thing you need to gather from the movies.
    Bend at the knees, dont bend your spine unless you have a very good core and so forth.
    Then you need, first and foremost, know what you want!
    Do you want it to be fit? do you want it for the aesthetics? and if so, what type of aesthetics? there are many different body types. etc

10+ Year Old Account
    the issue with a lot of people is that they try too hard too fast, so they see it as hell, they dont create a habit and give up before anything.
    Pretty much what happened to me.
    Tried to do it, always felt like crap afterwards.

Nowadays, when someone mentions exercise, I run the other way. ^^

Deleted
    Oh of course, but then again it all comes to goals.
    I really dont like buffed bodies, so my type of training is mostly short bursts (HIIT/Interval), swimming and biking in order to avoid too much hypertrophy.
    OP might just want to be fit/healthy, not necessarily become a byson or a bodybuilder
    That's true.

And then there's proportionality, because my quads are so big (Even when cold) it makes it look like I don't work on my calfs at all.

IT'S LIES AND SLANDER I TELL YOU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

It took my body a month before I started to look forward to the gym.

First week I was embarrassed as shit because I struggled to bench the bar alone on BP (Olympic bar is 20kg), 2nd week saw some improvement and muscle soreness, 3rd week was better but with some minor pain.

And fourth was when I started to feel more confident on slapping 10's on.

Year and a bit later i'm up 14kg in body mass and my stats are respectable now

Guys at my gym were dead friendly on teaching me routines and proper form.

That's true.

And then there's proportionality, because my quads are so big (Even when cold) it makes it look like I don't work on my calfs at all.

IT'S LIEs AND SLANDER I TELL YOU.
    hahahaha yea that is true. Calfs take ages to grow.
    I actually have big calfs due to biking for a long time, so its proportionate, albeit i did fuck my back due to stupidity so have stopped exercicing for a while, need to restart, again its the creating a habit again. mostly done maintenance due to being very careful, now need to build again, sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    (Olympic bar is 20kg)
    Didn't go to the gym because of that shame factor, so I can imagine how you felt.
    Merely did some body exercise at home.

Muscle soreness etc never really was a problem after the first 2-3 times of any particular exercise, but I tend to feel like shit whenever my heart rate goes up.
    Dunno why, maybe it's because I only have 80% lung capacity (with meds >.<).

So 6 times since the start of the year isn't amazing... however, try and keep it up, have a think about the parts of gym you like and make more effort to work something round them.
    Once you start properly gaining fitness/looking thinner/getting stronger it gets quite addictive on it's own. There's a lot to be said for the feeling you get from noticing the improvements you make in yourself.
    I started intending to lose fat. That's worked to a point but more of it has been about the (frankly huge) amount of extra strength developed over time. I'm squatting in the region of 150kg now (while still looking a million miles from a tank) so knowing I've adapted to be able to do that is quite a positive feeling and keeps me at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    hahahaha yea that is true. Calfs take ages to grow.
    Do they? My calves look a lot like Disney's Hercules calves. Same shape. No joke. Calves 4 dayz
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate working out; it's boring and really hard for me to power through the "I could be spending this time doing something productive" feeling.

So, instead, I try to do activities that are enjoyable as well as physically healthful. That's part of why I got into martial arts. I can get exercise and feel like I'm doing something fun for myself rather than some kind of obligatory chore. I also do other things like walking/hiking/roller skating, etc. I used to do a lot of "cross country" style biking although its been years since I've done that... but the point is, I tend to do that kind of stuff, rather than a more traditional "work out." That makes motivation a non-issue because these are things I look forward to.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Didn't go to the gym because of that shame factor, so I can imagine how you felt.
    Merely did some body exercise at home..
    You reaaaaally dont need a gym, ever.
    The good thing about a gym is that it has 2 things, community that helps eachother, and specific machines/gear.
    But in reality, you can get buff from calisthenics alone without ever leaving your house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Do they? My calves look a lot like Disney's Hercules calves. Same shape. No joke. Calves 4 dayz
    Comparatively with the rest of the legs? yep. Also hardest one to work out in terms of variety of exercises you can do.

7+ Year Old Account

So that is how you stay in good shape?