7+ Year Old Account

Bug of Chi Burst?

I try to study the Chi Burst. But a bug?

Why does the Chi Burst only heal and overheal me but its healing is hugely decreased?
    Last edited by cqwrteur; 2015-03-06 at 03:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You may need to explain what is going on here. Its pretty much impossible to figure out what you're talking about from those screenshots.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

I'm not in game but isn't there a number range for the ability? Like, it heals from x to y? The tooltip on the screenshot has a fixed number (the average option maybe on in the interface menu).

It might have been that you got the high end of that range on the first one and the low end on the second one. That's the only thing I can think off since there didn't seem to be any buffs that changed the healing amount.

You'd need to test a lot more to see how it behaves though. A lot more chi bursts. Make sure you have the "show numbers as average" ticked off though. That could be what is causing your confusion.

That's certainly odd. There are no ranges on the ability. It's a flat amount. Taking off my gear and such like in the screenshot, I'm healing for 3,638 every time (tooltip says 3,637, but I guess it rounds up).

Quote Originally Posted by Emerya View Post
    That's certainly odd. There are no ranges on the ability. It's a flat amount. Taking off my gear and such like in the screenshot, I'm healing for 3,638 every time (tooltip says 3,637, but I guess it rounds up).
    Did you try with healing elixirs talent? The OP's screenshot shows it and given they just "fixed" a bug that involved it maybe they broke something else.

There's starting to be some very pointless speculation here so let me clear something up: There is no evidence whatsoever in the OP of any kind of bug. In fact, there's very little evidence of anything, and he didn't even suggest what the "bug" was supposed to be.

All we know is that someone used Chi Burst at one time, and then used it at another time and it did less healing than the first time. There are literally dozens of normal in-game interactions that can cause this, and the mere fact that this happened doesn't suggest any kind of bug whatsoever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    There's starting to be some very pointless speculation here so let me clear something up: There is no evidence whatsoever in the OP of any kind of bug. In fact, there's very little evidence of anything, and he didn't even suggest what the "bug" was supposed to be.

All we know is that someone used Chi Burst at one time, and then used it at another time and it did less healing than the first time. There are literally dozens of normal in-game interactions that can cause this, and the mere fact that this happened doesn't suggest any kind of bug whatsoever.
    Do you know how it works? I am making the Chi Burst ACE-Addon. I need learn how it works.

PS : As A C++ programmer, I hate weakauras, for it wastes lots of memory and needs lots of GC(Garbage Collection).

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post

I mean... they're saying chi burst is healing for less than the tooltip while naked with only the stats buff in crane stance. My numbers for the tooltip matched theirs, but my log showed it healing within +/- 1 healing of the tooltip depending on how it wanted to round. Their screenshot shows it healing for about 55-85% of what the tooltip says it should, with an expel harm (screenshot of the tooltip not included, but I checked the numbers on that too - it healed for the correct amount) for reference. Short of some weird mortal strike type effect or something though, and I don't see any debuffs, I don't know what would cause it. I'm giving them the benefit here of assuming that no known outside effects were at play and that these screenshots were taken within seconds of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerya View Post
    I mean... they're saying chi burst is healing for less than the tooltip while naked with only the stats buff in crane stance. My numbers for the tooltip matched theirs, but my log showed it healing within +/- 1 healing of the tooltip depending on how it wanted to round. Their screenshot shows it healing for about 55-85% of what the tooltip says it should, with an expel harm (screenshot of the tooltip not included, but I checked the numbers on that too - it healed for the correct amount) for reference. Short of some weird mortal strike type effect or something though, and I don't see any debuffs, I don't know what would cause it. I'm giving them the benefit here of assuming that no known outside effects were at play and that these screenshots were taken within seconds of each other.
    My point was that there were 2 non-timestamped Chi Bursts and a mouse-over of the tooltip at least a minute later (see the Power Word: Fortitude buff timer) with no real indication of what was going on at the time of the casts.

I'm 99% sure that it was just AoE healing capped because of the weird way projectile heals are AoE capped now which means even standing within like 5 yards of other people will make the spell think it was capped even if it isn't (which is entirely by design). Without any indication of what was going on at the time except a combat log after the fact (but who knows how long after the fact?) and a screenshot even later of the character screen it's pretty hard to just call one occurrence of doing less healing a bug. Like I said, there are many things that can affect how much healing something does, and the mere fact that it happened when we have basically no details of what was going on at the time isn't even close enough to call it a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    Do you know how it works? I am making the Chi Burst ACE-Addon. I need learn how it works.

PS : As A C++ programmer, I hate weakauras, for it wastes lots of memory and needs lots of GC(Garbage Collection).
    Are you able to reproduce this bug consistently? Because until we can, there isn't much we can help you with.

Here's the original post by Celestalon explaining how Chi Burst's AoE cap works:

"Warning, super techy theorycrafting incoming. You do *not* need to understand any of this to use these spells effectively. This info is primarily for theorycrafters.
    Yes. This is something we've mentioned a few times, but I don't know if has ever been fully detailed. Traditional AoE capping works by counting the number of targets hit, and dividing the capped damage amongst them. However, there are four spells for whom that logic does not work: Chi Burst, Chi Torpedo, Divine Star, Halo.
    They all heal targets in an area, but that area moves (usually quite quickly, but still). If I launch a Chi Burst down a line of targets, it doesn't preemptively figure out which targets it's going to hit at cast time or anything. It just launches the orb, and there is collision detection that on it that will heal each target that it collides with. That means that when the first target gets hit, none of the other targets have been hit yet, so there's no other hits to help determine how much damage/healing it should do.
    So, we have a different solution for these spells. They build a list at cast time of all potential targets, and a count of how many other potential targets are near each one of those targets. That count is used for the AoE capping logic.
    Chi Burst: Potential targets are all targets within 60yd. Clump radius is 10yd.
    Chi Torpedo: Potential targets are all targets within 40yd*. Clump radius is 10yd. (*was 25yd, should be *40yd in next build)
    Divine Star: Potential targets are all targets within 40yd. Clump radius is 18yd.
    Halo: Potential targets are all targets within 40yd. Clump radius is 30yd.
    This works, but has some downsides of gamability, and potentially AoE capping more than needed. Example: Have a clump of a dozen players. Throw a Chi Burst but mis-aim it so it only grazes a single person in the clump. It'll apply the full AoE capping in that case, even though it only healed one target."

Interesting. I never actually knew how Chi Burst and similar spells handled the AOE cap. I was assuming they were firing it into the open space ahead of them and nothing else was being hit, but knowing how the clump stuff works now clears that up.

Anyway, you're probably right Total. That looks like a big cluster of nameplates at the bottom of the screen, so there's a good chance if they were near the chi burst or hit by it that it lowered the numbers.

I might be butchering the math involved, but since the base healing was 3637, and I assume it target caps at six people (I have no idea if this was ever changed when things like tranq were), 3637*(6/7) gives 3116.5 (screenshot says 3118) and 3637*(6/11) gives 1983.8 (screenshots says 1984). So there were probably clumps of 7 and 11 people for the two casts.
    Last edited by Emerya; 2015-03-06 at 05:04 PM.

ps. the skillshot aoe heal logic is why you can get double the healing with chi burst if you hit two separate groups with it (eg. on Gruul). Both groups get their own aoe cap, by design. It's not a bug, as I've seen some people claim recently.