Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    OP here.... well, he brought it up again... when everybody said how old they were, he quit the guild, saying something like "I don't want to play with all old people".

Deleted
    I think the game is mainly played by kids, students and middle age grownups. As like 15-35.

And grownups at the age 40+, who are done with family business.

Is some years ago blizzard last time told what the average age of the player base was(that i've seen), but back then it was 30.
    Don't think it has fallen below that, since a lot of those players still play.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I would guestimate 22. There are plenty of older, but also plenty of younger gamers. In the end the average I think would end up 22, maybe 23.

I'm very sure the average is higher than most other "modern" MMOs though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Is some years ago blizzard last time told what the average age of the player base was(that i've seen), but back then it was 30.

30 really? find that very hard to believe. Any source on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I would guestimate 22. There are plenty of older, but also plenty of younger gamers. In the end the average I think would end up 22, maybe 23.

I'm very sure the average is higher than most other "modern" MMOs though.

- - - Updated - - -

30 really? find that very hard to believe. Any source on that?
    Can try to find it again, but yeah. Is some years ago now. 4 or so, so might be a bit hard. Will update.

edit:
    Can't find the one right off the bat apparently. Might be hidden a bit deeper down, but at least some statistics others have made seems to be around 30.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=average+wow+player+age

While eve online is another game than wow, they have some nice statistics of their players age, which also supports the idea that the mmo-players overall is older than 20 year old tend to believe.
    http://i.imgur.com/h7lNte1.png

further edit:
    Very old one, but mostly posting it for fun.
    http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/arch...368.php?page=1
    Last edited by Terridon; 2015-03-18 at 10:52 PM.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Yeah that's probably about right, and I have no doubts the average age has increased as the game has aged and will continue to do so. I'll be 27 in a couple months myself and I can say there are a lot of people my age and in in their 30's in the raiding scheme (as a raider these are the people I generally get to know) and a pretty decent population size at 40+.

Most in my guild have played since beginning of vanilla so that's about 100 accounts owned by people currently aged between 30 - 45

Deleted
    Well, if you just look at /trade its about 15-20.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably something between 20 and 30 I would say, myself I'm 26 yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
    Well, if you just look at /trade its about 15-20.
    You underestimate the capacity for immaturity in adults. The worst people I have met have always been adults and, funnily enough, always say everyone who is annoying is a kid out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    I'm 46 so I throw the average way off, sorry mates
    I am 44, and I know tons of players that are older than me (including several in their 60s), so you don't throw the average off. I think the average age is a lot older than people think, I say about 34 or so.

Edit: I found this, but I still think the numbers are off (they found avg age of 29 for WoW). The study is from last year, but that is the closest I can find.

http://today-archive.colostate.edu/story.aspx?id=10203
    Last edited by Daswolfen; 2015-03-18 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    I'm 46 so I throw the average way off, sorry mates
    I'm not so sure you do.

Anecdotally, almost everyone in my guild is in their late thirties to late forties. The youngest active players are around 30 / late 20s. The outliers are people like my uncle, in his late 60s. So in my guild, you'd probably epitomise the average, not throw it off.

That's just one guild but again, the PlayOn and the Daedalus Project seem to support this as pretty standard (for EU and NA anyway).

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

If I were to take a wild shot, I would probably say the average age is somewhere between 25-28. We'll never know for sure I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started in 2006 so I was.....17? I would say that since I was among the younger people playing back then the average age is probably late 20s to early 30s. I knew people 5 years older than me and people 20 years older than me that played though.

I think the largest age bracket is 25 to 30 or 25 to 35 if you wanted to expand it. If you were doing average age that is going to go higher though due to all the 50 to 60+ players increasing the age much faster then a few teenagers can drop it down. I know in the 2 groups I raid with we have 1 person under 20 and they are in college, one raid has 2 retired people in it. It is interesting running with a person and their adult son and grandchild.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    actual age or internet age? Usually for internet age you need to subtract 10-15 years from the actual age to match the stupidity/immaturity.
    wut...you went to elementary school right? With your "rules" you're about 2-3 years of age than?

I've known a number of raiders twice my age or more (I'm 34). Since this would move the average higher than the mode, I would say ~32.

From my limited experience of other wow players, then those I personally know are in their 20's mostly.
    Myself I am 34.

I think some people just want to blame the state of the community on age, which has never been proven to equal maturity.
    I see lots of ignorant and downright destructive players, many of which are more than keen to remind us they are old enough, but do not seem to act how we hope they would at their age.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-03-19 at 05:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    early to mid 20's, though most of my friends that play are mid-late 20's

IIRC the average age was 27 some years ago according to official information. I reckon it to be around the same mark +/- 2 years.