10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JRZoid View Post
    Fun game but has no end game...and lack of any sort of real dungeon and or boss Mechanic's and a difficult Crafting System.
    Literally everything in this post is incorrect, except the part about the game being fun, = )
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    that's a wow mentality and it's 100% wrong in ESO. people who speed to 160 then run around collecting shards/farming points later aren't getting to where they need to be faster
    No, you have a WoW mentality with "where they need to be".

They don't need to be anywhere. I'm just saying that - from a technical standpoint - getting to CP160 is crucial because of how the loot system and quest rewards work.

You can only do those quests once, so you shouldn't be doing them until you are CP160.

And I'm not 100% wrong, I'm 100% right.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah but most overland sets are crap or at least they are crap for your class/builds you'd prefer to play with that character.
    Depends on the build, set and what you consider crap. Are they BiS? Usually not. Are they ridiculously less powerful than some other sets? No, at least for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want an overland set weapon and there is a quest dropping that weapon, you are best served not doing that quest until later. People are not clearing the world bosses that regularly even in zones with very popular sets. E.g. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_...of_Silent_Mire doing that quest at CP160 gives you an infused mother's sorrow staff which is pre-Maelstrom BiS.
    Silent Mire is my XP grinding spot for leveling characters.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Honestly it's more about how some of the quest rewards are actually useful if done at the cap, otherwise it would not matter. E.g. I am skipping Rivenspire on the Breton summoner I am leveling right now because there are a couple of Necropotence rewards I'd rather not have to farm for otherwise.
    Wait, so I shouldn't be questing to level up/progress? What am I supposed to do then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Wait, so I shouldn't be questing to level up/progress? What am I supposed to do then?
    Ignore them. Just play how you like.

You are given many character slots, if you find that you got an item at a lower level than you'd like, you can always create a second character and get that item when it hits 160.

Just go out into the world, and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff on the first time through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Ignore them. Just play how you like.

You are given many character slots, if you find that you got an item at a lower level than you'd like, you can always create a second character and get that item when it hits 160.

Just go out into the world, and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff on the first time through.
    Fair enough, but if I wanted to play optimally, how would one go about it? For future reference.

Should I be grinding somewhere all the way? .. also what is CP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, but if I wanted to play optimally, how would one go about it? For future reference.

Should I be grinding somewhere all the way? .. also what is CP?
    Cp=Champion Points. After level 50, you get these points which you can distribute into passive bonues. Gear stops leveling at 160, cap is 810 on console.

If you want to play optimally, find a friend to make you gear with a mix of light heavy and medium all with +Experience gain on it. Have them run you through Skyreach Catacombs until you are 160.

But this is spending a very long time watxhing someone do all the work while you aren’t actually playing the game.

- - - Updated - - -

A good way to go would be to do the Cold Harbor quest line and enjoy the story. Do Random Dungeons in between. Won’t miss out on anything really, and will get you moving towards level 50

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don’t be discouraged by the high number of 160. As usual leveling slows down as you get closer to 50, however it speeds back up when you get past 50. It isn’t unusual to get 5 cp levels off a dungeon quest in the early parts.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2019-01-22 at 03:47 PM.

Cp=Champion Points. After level 50, you get these points which you can distribute into passive bonues. Gear stops leveling at 160, cap is 810 on console.

If you want to play optimally, find a friend to make you gear with a mix of light heavy and medium all with +Experience gain on it. Have them run you through Skyreach Catacombs until you are 160.

But this is spending a very long time watxhing someone do all the work while you aren’t actually playing the game.

- - - Updated - - -

A good way to go would be to do the Cold Harbor quest line and enjoy the story. Do Random Dungeons in between. Won’t miss out on anything really, and will get you moving towards level 50

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don’t be discouraged by the high number of 160. As usual leveling slows down as you get closer to 50, however it speeds back up when you get past 50. It isn’t unusual to get 5 cp levels off a dungeon quest in the early parts.
    How would I do it efficiently if I don't have any friends playing the game at a higher level than me?

Thanks for the info!

10+ Year Old Account
    How would I do it efficiently if I don't have any friends playing the game at a higher level than me?

Thanks for the info!
    Making friends is easy! In many zones, in Zone Chat, you will see people advertising their guilds. You can join up to 5 Guilds. Each guild can have up to 500 members. That is a pool of 2,500 people you can make friends with just by typing in the different guild chats.

I'd go with the Cold Harbor route. If you start out with the tutorial, you will be on that question line right away. It is the 1-50 main story. There aren't any truly amazing sets you would miss out on from the Cold Harbor quests. Just a pretty good story if you skip it ; )

Once you hit level 10, you will be allowed to use the Dungeon Finder tool. In between quests, just make sure you are queued up.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2019-01-22 at 04:05 PM.

basically what Kathandira said. and honestly dungeon and battleground random dailies give obsene amounts of xp for first completion, in addition to giving you a head start on leveling essential skill lines.

vestige, or coldharbour quest line, IMO is a must as soon as you can (which is at lvl 3). 1 - its the only way to level Soul magic skill line and that line comes with some very nice passives. 2 - it comes with a crapload of skill points which are always useful, but the gear you get from it, is genuinely transitional gear. its not great its just... there. I would hold off on major crafting leveling, but i WOULD still do the certification quests around level 6 (make sure you don't have any crafting mats in your bags to maximize returns - these quests usually send you to locations that have guaranteed mats you need, unless you already have enough mats in your bags - its especially nice for jewelcrafting and pewter) its a minor amount of xp, a good chunk of gold, even at low levels (and the higher level you are - the more gold you get, even if you keep crafting at rank 1). if you are on PC, you can get lazy writ crafter addon which shortens those quests to... oh about 3 minutes, maybe? and gear crafting at least is 100% self sustaining and requires NO farming after initial few days as long as you keep it at rank 1.

yeah, getting to cp 160 takes very littel time nowadays. also.. we should be getting a double xp/holiday event sometime very soon, so that will help as well

P.S. one way to grind, but its slower the skyreach, though just as mind numbingly boring, but requires no friends - is a dolmen grind. usually Alikr's desert has one going 24 7, just watch the general chat and people will usually advertise a dolmen group periodical - on PC addons are often used to autoinvite, so there will be a specific letter to type in zone chat - to get one.. and then just... keep sprinting with them. there are 3 dolmens and initially you'll probably have to port to group lead to unlock the fast travel points, but after that - you can just jump on your own to speed it up. if I remember - those dolmens rotate clockwise. and I should probably explain dolmens. they are recurring world evens and those are set at specific location. basically Molag Bal keeps throwing his anchors down to join Nirn with coldharbour and your task is to kill waves of Daedra until anchor is gone. there is a chest afterwards with occasionally nice rewards, mostly not - but still worth looting. every time Dolmen is cleared there's a nice bit of xp, similar number to quest turn in, but faster. and there's xp from actual mob kills - you will probably want to use a ranged weapon of some sort and just ..tag anything you can before it dies in seconds.

I still woudln't reccomend it personaly, becasue... its... so... boring. but if you don't mind grinding - it is a thing you can do. oh and it levels your fighter's guild skill line, which has some VERY good skills in it, especially if you play a stamina character (and even if you don't, there are a few passives that are good for everyone).
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-01-22 at 04:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

You really don't need to do this. I can just solo grind to 50 in a couple of hours.

Thanks for the info!
    Grinding mobs or grinding dolmens - or a mixture of the two.

You need to have a good spot for grinding the mobs - there are plenty of places in the world. Obviously you also need to be efficient (aka not just pull one random mob at a time). You pull 5-10 mobs and aoe them down, then another pull. You need to learn the grinding rotation on a certain spot so there is zero downtime.

My rotation in Silent Mire consists of constant 10 mob pulls and there is also a dolmen right next to it so I can clear it if it pops up every once in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Grinding mobs or grinding dolmens - or a mixture of the two.

You need to have a good spot for grinding the mobs - there are plenty of places in the world. Obviously you also need to be efficient (aka not just pull one random mob at a time). You pull 5-10 mobs and aoe them down, then another pull. You need to learn the grinding rotation on a certain spot so there is zero downtime.

My rotation in Silent Mire consists of constant 10 mob pulls and there is also a dolmen right next to it so I can clear it if it pops up every once in a while.
    For a person who has never played this game before, this sounds like a sure way to bore them right into uninstalling the game. =)

"Boars...we kill Boars."
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2019-01-22 at 04:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    For a person who has never played this game before, this sounds like a sure way to bore them right into uninstalling the game. =)
    Well it shouldn't be a new thing to anyone who has ever played an MMO before. AoE grinding has been a thing since.....TBC WoW.

It isn't that different from playing D3 or Black Desert for a couple of hours.

And I'm sure just following someone else and being boosted would make them quit even faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it shouldn't be a new thing to anyone who has ever played an MMO before. AoE grinding has been a thing since.....TBC WoW.

It isn't that different from playing D3 or Black Desert for a couple of hours.
    Haven't played Black Desert, but D3 is a game which is completely based around grinding with a "story" added to it. ESO though, I see it as a much larger story that if you just grind right past is a huge missed opportunity. Though I can understand the comparison to D3 when you look at the way characters are built and the systems in which to level them.

I just think it is a shame to sprint right passed the roses.

I guess you can see it as trying to find a way to level efficiently, while still trying to enjoy the story.

But if Segus1992 is truly uninterested in all that, and just wants to get right to end game, gear/cp grinding, then your way would certainly be more efficient.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2019-01-22 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks for all the answers, I think I've got a pretty good grasp on what to do now. Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the answers, I think I've got a pretty good grasp on what to do now. Cheers!
    Np man, enjoy the game = )

If you have questions about systems and mechanics and all that jazz, come stop by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played Black Desert, but D3 is a game which is completely based around grinding with a "story" added to it. ESO though, I see it as a much larger story that if you just grind right past is a huge missed opportunity.
    Well in Black Desert you need to aoe grind for thousands of hours (not exaggerating) to reach the "maximum" level (soft cap, not even a hard one). Grinding a couple of hours in ESO is a joke compared to it. Grinding all the way to CP 810 is also a joke compared to it. That's like the level of difference in what grinding means.

Though I can understand the comparison to D3 when you look at the way characters are built and the systems in which to level them.

I just think it is a shame to sprint right passed the roses.
    But that's the thing. In ESO you aren't "sprinting right pass the roses". The quests, stories...all that good stuff is still there - and it's still relevant content. In fact, it actually becomes relevant after that small grind you should start with.

The system is broken as it is now and it should be fixed.

Like, removing the character levels altogether and hence removing the levels of items as well. All items would be "CP160" right from the beginning and you only level up your skills and champion points with XP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in Black Desert you need to aoe grind for thousands of hours (not exaggerating) to reach the "maximum" level (soft cap, not even a hard one). Grinding a couple of hours in ESO is a joke compared to it. Grinding all the way to CP 810 is also a joke compared to it. That's like the level of difference in what grinding means.

But that's the thing. In ESO you aren't "sprinting right pass the roses". The quests, stories...all that good stuff is still there - and it's still relevant content. In fact, it actually becomes relevant after that small grind you should start with.

The system is broken as it is now and it should be fixed.

Like, removing the character levels altogether and hence removing the levels of items as well. All items would be "CP160" right from the beginning and you only level up your skills and champion points with XP.
    0 level requirements on gear would be amazing! I could absolutely get behind that.

As for Black Desert, that sounds like a far more broken system that needs to be fixed. But then again, maybe people who play that like that system, so I can't judge.

0 level requirements on gear would be amazing! I could absolutely get behind that.

As for Black Desert, that sounds like a far more broken system that needs to be fixed. But then again, maybe people who play that like that system, so I can't judge.
    BDO is a very different game, entirely built around grinding. Literally entirely - it's all about making grinding as fun as possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's an entirely different game. Very different from other MMORPG's on the market. Everything in that game is a marathon, not a sprint.

- - - Updated - - -

BDO is a very different game, entirely built around grinding. Literally entirely - it's all about making grinding as fun as possible.
    ^Yeah, this.