Thread: Spirit Shell?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Spirit Shell?

I don't play disc anymore, I switched to holy (found disc really boring) but I recently just ran an LFR with a priest using Spirit Shell, and it seemed to do a lot of their healing. Now I know it's only ONE case of it being used. But I really just wanna know how Spirit Shell is ranking next to the other two talents in that tier? Is it complete dogshit compared to the others or are they all pretty okay?
    I'm really only looking into this for curiosity's sake since I don't personally see myself playing disc until it forgoes a complete overhaul.(That and I wanna keep in the loop of what's good for discs atm since I like to try and help others)

Quote Originally Posted by Kulia View Post
    LFR
    Nuff said.

Deleted
    Ye i agree, dont question people in lfr, altho ive also seen alot of bad discs in normals/hcs so meh..

Spirit shell just isn´t as good as it used to be. The time and mana you take to cast spirit shell is better used blanketing the raid in pw:s. Even with 4 set its just not worth it. Power infusion is our only choice and its pretty good, ToF doesnt work with shields. Use it to blanket the raid faster in raids and/or together with Mindbender for more mana return.

The only time i seen someone mention using it is when you have 2 disc priests at Gruul and one blankets the raid while the other SS on norm/hc. This is also possible because the fight is short and mana would be less a problem. Tho generally its better to just heal with one disc, especially in Mythic content.

I realize it was LFR and I shouldn't really be taking it with a grain of salt. I was just trying to see if there was any reason why they would be taking it - that's all. So thanks Shinbout for the actual reply... I thought I stated kinda clearly that I wasn't being like "oh this priest in LFR used SS it must be the bees knees" and more like "I saw someone using SS in LFR, wondering how it is and if it's actually decent or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Kulia View Post
    I realize it was LFR and I shouldn't really be taking it with a grain of salt. I was just trying to see if there was any reason why they would be taking it - that's all. So thanks Shinbout for the actual reply... I thought I stated kinda clearly that I wasn't being like "oh this priest in LFR used SS it must be the bees knees" and more like "I saw someone using SS in LFR, wondering how it is and if it's actually decent or not"
    Spirit Shell requires too much mana to use efficiently, even with the 4pc bonus which reduces the mana cost of PoH for 6 seconds.

Spirit Shell with 4pc requires 36.5k mana if you use 4x PoH casts each time it comes off CD.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
    Nuff said.
    That's really not enough said, actually, since you completely ignored his question.

Deleted
    Spirit Shell is very mana extensive and Power Infusion and spam bubbling is overall a better option.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my own experience using it, SS is about equal (or slightly less) in throughput than PI. The times I experimented with it, I was doing roughly the same hps I normally was, but I was not using it as optimally as I could have. That being said, SS may outperform PI with perfect use. However, for the overwhelming majority of people, they will never use SS perfectly throughout an entire fight.

Also, as people already brought up, SS with 4pc is still much more mana intensive than PI+bubble spam (and thats not even factoring in MB if youre using that with PI). So being approx equal in throughput, but one is much more costly, PI still wins out.

Just stick with PI.
    Last edited by Pearl1717; 2015-04-11 at 10:54 PM.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    That's really not enough said, actually, since you completely ignored his question.
    As did you, so instead of stooping to his level and increasing your post numbers, you too could post constructively.

OP: Would have to agree that nearly every priest I see these days rolls with Power infusion at least, or twist of fate (if they've left it on from a holy or shadow specc i can only imagine :P).
    Would be nice to see it viable again, used to really enjoy using that in MoP

Deleted
    Spirit shell is worst fo those 3.

Deleted
    I'd not use Spirit Shell in no case in BRF. The talent consumes way too much mana for something that you can do faster and more efficiant with simply casting shields or using your 4s proc + AA. No point of it really, you as well lose you AA bonus while using SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Healprincess View Post
    No point of it really, you as well lose you AA bonus while using SS.
    You don't. Spirit Shell directly scales on Prayer of Healing casts, so healing amps affect the absorbs you apply.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    You don't. Spirit Shell directly scales on Prayer of Healing casts, so healing amps affect the absorbs you apply.
    Right, have not been maining disc for a long time, my fault. Still, do not think SS is useful in any case. Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Healprincess View Post
    Right, have not been maining disc for a long time, my fault. Still, do not think SS is useful in any case. Any other thoughts?
    utterly useless

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Situational. Brilliant with 4p and a 10-12 man with 3 healers two of which are Discs. Only used it in heroic, not Mythic tho.

Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    Situational. Brilliant with 4p and a 10-12 man with 3 healers two of which are Discs. Only used it in heroic, not Mythic tho.
    PI is still better..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    Is it really? I've been using AA on CD and very rarely you get lucky enough to need multiple PoH right after activating it. Even if such a situation comes I'd probably still rather use PI

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    PI is still better..
    When was the last time you healed a 10man with 2 discs?

Random replies like yours without any reasoning are hardly helpful for anyone looking for advice.

2 spirit trinkets, one with on use haste, SS, crit build, 4piece and you can heal the whole of BRF heroic with 2 discs. Try doing Kromog for example competing for shields on 10 people and having practically no alternative/no raid heals PWS does not stack, SS does, with anything and everything. Apart from it's own absorbs, frequent PoH means frequent DA procs per group. The amount of damage you can mitigate with 2 skilled Disc priests that simply pay attention to encounter timers, playing with different talents, is insane. So yes, situational. And completely viable with multiple Disc priests in a raid, 2 in a small one, 3 in a bigger one.

Instead of calling your raid cos you don't have a perfect setup, you use your brain and the toolset that's available, and make things work. Not only is it effective, it's fun. But God forbid having fun in a game

As for Prist - in a 2 disc setup with 1 playing SS I do not use AA on cd, I make sure AA is up before raid wide damage happens, every time.
    Last edited by mag07; 2015-04-27 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why spirit shell when you can shield them instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Rfx View Post
    Why spirit shell when you can shield them instead?
    Because an EAA+POH+SS can shield 5 people for nearly the same amount using 2 GCDs instead of 5 and a fraction of the mana (even less if you have 4 piece). Experimenting this on certain fights and see if it outweighs losing PI