Thread: "Gay go away"

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    In the western world, yes, I think atleast very radical christianity will be all but gone. It's already not really significant at this point, noone really takes these religious nutbags seriously at all. The problem is though, that these people still have the right to vote unfortunately.
    Religion is one of those things that dates back to the earliest beginnings of humanity and has been a component of every civilization we've ever discovered. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon. Nor should it, by the way. What is happening, however, is people are slowly advancing to the point that religious tribalism isn't as significant. Religious extremism and violence are far less prevalent. The next generation will probably see the last dying gasps of that movement before it becomes mostly relegated to history.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    people are slowly advancing to the point that religious tribalism isn't as significant.
    Depends on the definition of religious tribalism, the anti-vacc movement for example has quite a few similarities to a tribal 'religion'.

This is no different than having signs that say "No blacks" or "No Irish". It's just straight up discrimination, plain and simple. Yay for dividing and weakening America along arbitrary lines to have excuses to hate strangers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Depends on the definition of religious tribalism, the anti-vacc movement for example has quite a few similarities to a tribal 'religion'.
    I want to hug you. Can I hug you?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Even they are viewed as a fringe minority. Most of the anti-vaccine people that I have talked to are still pointing to the discredited study that linked vaccines to autism with a healthy side dish of anecdotes about their father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate who had a vaccine and died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even they are viewed as a fringe minority. Most of the anti-vaccine people that I have talked to are still pointing to the discredited study that linked vaccines to autism with a healthy side dish of anecdotes about their father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate who had a vaccine and died.
    They clearly must not be the brightest bunch. It might be cruel but i wished they actually got the measles for just a week, that sure would change their opinion permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    They clearly must not be the brightest bunch. It might be cruel but i wished they actually got the measles for just a week, that sure would change their opinion permanently.
    The sad thing is, it's their kids that get measles. And they do. Many of the diseases that we commonly vaccinate are coming back after we thought them to be totally wiped out.

Why would that disqualify it as a 'tribal religion'? (Well ok, you might call it a cult, still most examples are closer to tribal religions than to what one thinks of when one hears 'cult').
    Last edited by Noradin; 2015-04-19 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Seriously?

In the grand scheme of things it was just yesterday when the christian version of isis ruled almost the entirety of advanced civilization. The power of all religion combined now is nowhere remotely close to the power of individual radical religions over the past couple thousand years.
    How is your comment in any way related to radical religion being on the rise in Denmark?

Why would that disqualify it as a 'tribal religion'? (Well ok, you might call it a cult, still most examples are closer to tribal religions than to what one thinks of when one hears 'cult').
    If you are referring to the anti-vaccination movement as a religion on it's own, I think we are talking about two different things. When I said religious tribalism, I meant something closer to definition two of the word. "The behavior and attitudes that stem from strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group." I think people are relying less on things like race, gender, nationality, and religion and time goes on to define their "tribe" and more on pet causes, political affiliations, and other smaller groups. I think people like to be far more specifically designated by their tribe now, and what people are using to define themselves is evolving as we speak. It's not that those other things are going away, because they never will. It's that people are choosing to define themselves differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sad thing is, it's their kids that get measles. And they do. Many of the diseases that we commonly vaccinate are coming back after we thought them to be totally wiped out.
    Yup and reason i actually said measles was that recently in Belgium we had a public announcement that everyone from 20 to 35 should go and check if they received their second shot of the measles as a lot of people haven't, there really isn't any outrage about that here.

Their tribe is their internet bubble...

Their tribe is their internet bubble...
    If only it were as simple as you want it to be.

If only it were as simple as you want it to be.
    I'm not saying it is an accurate description, just that there arre certain similarities.

Mostly they are self contained belief systems that are based in faith and on the desire to magically better their own situation by adhereing to certain rituals and obeying some arcane rules to get there.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2015-04-19 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    I think perhaps you haven't been to a little region called the Middle East. Religious extremism is far from dead or dying.
    Mm. We're also seeing a lot of immigration to western countries from that region and many of those coming over have no desire to compromise or integrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    I think perhaps you haven't been to a little region called the Middle East. Religious extremism is far from dead or dying.
    Rough estimates say there are 4200 religions in the world. There are about 7 billion people in the world. You can point to one sect of one religion in one part of the world. That seems to be a decline.

So.. assuming the technology is advanced enough in the future...

Would it be possible to wake her up and... revive her?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    So.. assuming the technology is advanced enough in the future...

Would it be possible to wake her up and... revive her?
    When they can make humans out of century old meat slushys yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    Michigan Auto Shop Goes Viral After Posting No Service for Gays, Discount for Gun Owners

After the owner of a Michigan-based auto repair shop wrote on Facebook that he will refuse service to openly gay individuals, his post went viral on the social media site, spurring numerous media write-ups and an explosive amount of comments.

“I am a Christian,” wrote Brian Klawiter, owner of Dieseltec in Grandville, Michigan. “My company will be run in a way that reflects that. Dishonesty, thievery, immoral behavior, etc. will not be welcomed at MY place of business. (I would not hesitate to refuse service to an openly gay person or persons. Homosexuality is wrong, period. If you want to argue this fact with me then I will put your vehicle together with all bolts and no nuts and you can see how that works.)”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=33&v=MWxyPeshEuM
    This whole thing is likely a publicity stunt to get new customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Sheesh people - you're no better than him when you twist his words like that to suit your own agendas. Let idiots stand as idiots on their own - no need to mince words.
    I think what you're looking for is something like "parse words" - or "parse too closely." To "not mince words" is to be blunt, so you're implying everyone is beating around the bush. (Not trying to call you out or anything, just for your enlightenment. Damn those idioms.)

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Hate, ignorance and intolerance is always a step back. People who hate or discriminate against homosexuals are a fucking disgrace to humanity. I promise you, this will all die out with time, more and more people learn to accept, love and tolerate and in 50 years from now, all the "no gays" signs will be gone. It saddens me that people like you still exist. And it worries me alot that you consider religious hate and ignorance "progress".
    Sorry for replying to a relatively old thread, but I think you misread me here. My point was that at least the subject matter is exceptional enough these days to warrant being news. That's why I consider it progress, because it's becoming fringe behaviour instead of being the default.

Less hate & ignorance = progress.