I mean, are any of these cracks more than cosmetic issues though? My N3DS has hairline cracks in a few places but its nothing that actually affects performance.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I mean, are any of these cracks more than cosmetic issues though? My N3DS has hairline cracks in a few places but its nothing that actually affects performance.
    It all just depends really on what is causing it (likely heat) and if it can get worse.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

0 issues with mine.

Launch model...played 90% docked. No warping...no cracking.

I'm with the people who believe that these defects are present on certain units at time of purchase, but they only notice them now (or in the case of the cracks, they were probably tiny and nearly unnoticeable and over time grew, as most people are reporting hairline cracks with only a very few cases of large ones or the one guy who claims his entire grill broke off the exhaust....still think he damaged that one himself. Maybe they did crack in some places, but I think he saw it damaged and said: Fuck it...and removed the entire thing).

Also need to remember: People who claim to be "super careful" with their stuff....aren't always telling the 100% truth, and they may have dropped it and either A) forgot or B) don't want to admit it or even C) have other users in their family who use it when they are not around and THEY are being rough with them. As for the ones by the joycons I have a feeling people are being rough with taking them on and off.

The heat the Switch puts off just is not high enough to warp or melt the particular kind of plastic it is made out of. Yes it gets hot....but not hot enough. I'd be more worried about it's insides at those temps than I am it's external case. BUT if those defects were already present it may be enough to make them WORSE. In the case of the cracking...they started off as small hairlines, and the constant heating and cooling causes them to expand. But if your unit doesn't already have them present they wont magically appear.

So basically: If your Switch isn't already warped...it isn't going to. And if your Switch doesn't already have tiny cracks...it isn't going to develop any (unless you drop the thing). If it DOES have cracks, they may get worse as it heats and cools, the plastic may not melt or warp but it may expand a tiny bit as it heats up, and then contract when it cools down. This can make already present cracks worsen over repeated use.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It all just depends really on what is causing it (likely heat) and if it can get worse.
    Be curious how much of that's from heat vs flexing. And more importantly if its possible to just replace the plate easily in the event that it gets that bad.

But yeah, the cracks in my N3DS are almost definitely from just having it in my pocket over the years. Wouldn't be surprised if all the stress cracks near the screw are from something similar, even just the act of taking the joycon in and out over and over (or more likely people being really heavy handed while playing). Would explain how it even happened to the docked guy if he was putting the joycons back (unlikely, but possible I guess).

Yeah dunno, definitely something to keep an eye out for I suppose. What all are you guys using to protect this? I haven't gotten mine yet but the one thing I'm loathing is that it doesn't fold which makes it hella inconvenient to take on the go. Trying to imagine what I'm going to use to bring it around with me.

Yeah dunno, definitely something to keep an eye out for I suppose. What all are you guys using to protect this? I haven't gotten mine yet but the one thing I'm loathing is that it doesn't fold which makes it hella inconvenient to take on the go. Trying to imagine what I'm going to use to bring it around with me.
    Well I sold mine but before I did nothing really. Only had a screen protector and that's it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

On the topic of cracks being nothing TOO new for Nintendo.

My DSLite had cracks on the hinges, which was apparently a very common occurrence for them. Didn't compromise the integrity of the system though (the plastic cracked, but not the metal hinge underneath). Took care of that thing like it was my own flesh and blood, too. Not a scratch on the screen or outter shell...just those hinges.

I miss that DSLite....I regret selling it T_T
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I avoid screen protectors like the plague on phones because they always feel awful, but I suppose that's mostly a non issue since this thing isn't a touch screen. Long as it doesn't affect the picture.

I don't even have a screen protector on my switch(or any device for that matter, never saw a need for them and have not had screen damage at all on anything) and it's pretty much pristine.

I play mostly in portable as well, Splatoon 2 probably the only game I play mostly docked.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I miss that DSLite....I regret selling it T_T
    Funny enough I bought one for like $10 awhile back lol.

I avoid screen protectors like the plague on phones because they always feel awful, but I suppose that's mostly a non issue since this thing isn't a touch screen. Long as it doesn't affect the picture.
    Switch is a capacitive touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well that sucks, do you actually use it for much of anything in games so far? Cause I absolutely hate the feeling of screen protectors.

Well that sucks, do you actually use it for much of anything in games so far? Cause I absolutely hate the feeling of screen protectors.
    Certain games use it yes, don't think many if any at all require it(maybe some shit mobile ports not sure). It's mostly optional.

Certain games use it yes, don't think many if any at all require it(maybe some shit mobile ports not sure). It's mostly optional.
    MH is my main thing and I doubt it uses it, will be picking up zelda and octopath at some point too and those don't seem like they would. Haven't seen anything else I'm terribly interested in so, think I may be in the clear.

Unless they start working into future games

MH is my main thing and I doubt it uses it, will be picking up zelda and octopath at some point too and those don't seem like they would. Haven't seen anything else I'm terribly interested in so, think I may be in the clear.

Unless they start working into future games
    The only things that use the touch screen are the OS, any games that use the OS for things like entering names, and most rhythm games, and those rhythm games use that as their main control scheme when you are handheld. I also expect Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu to use it as an alternate control scheme for catching Pokemon other than the JoyCons for incoming Go players.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    The only things that use the touch screen are the OS, any games that use the OS for things like entering names, and most rhythm games, and those rhythm games use that as their main control scheme when you are handheld. I also expect Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu to use it as an alternate control scheme for catching Pokemon other than the JoyCons for incoming Go players.
    Yeah so I'm probably safe cause those definitely aren't my games xD

7+ Year Old Account
    Rayman Legends comes to mind. It has a section of a dozen or so levels devoted entirely to using the touch screen controls called Murfy's Touch. In all fairness, most (if not all) of them are levels you've already done before, but the role is reversed. Rather than controlling the main player and using a button to move obstacles, your goal is to use the touch screen to remove obstacles and rearrange the environment so an AI character can traverse through the levels.

Yeah. I have a tempered glass protector on mine, and the touch detection is just as accurate as without it. I would recommend putting one on. It makes it feel like a proper glass screen with one on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Yeah. I have a tempered glass protector on mine, and the touch detection is just as accurate as without it. I would recommend putting one on. It makes it feel like a proper glass screen with one on it.
    Got a link for what you used?

I haven't actually tried the tempered glass screens, but the other screen protectors feel like awful.

Got a link for what you used?

I haven't actually tried the tempered glass screens, but the other screen protectors feel like awful.
    https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Temper.../dp/B01N3ASPNV This is the one I use.

They are stupid easy to put on compared to plastic ones, too. You use the "hinge" technique. Basically, make sure the screen is clean, use the tape that comes in the box to tape it to the switch like a door...then just...let go. They fall right into place and all their air SHOULD automatically be pressed out as well.

Didn't get a single airbubble in mine first try.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still havent bought a screen because #toobig #consoleonly