Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Ask random person on street if they know who Mario or Link is.

Now ask them if they know who Samus is. You will find way more who know the former.

Metroid will always be a core gamer thing, it doesn't transcend to main stream like a bunch of Nintendo's other IPs. In fact probably most of the people who would know Samus, know her from Smash more so then actual Metroid games. MP4 is not going to be a 10+ million seller, it's a corridor shooter with a specific audience in mind, not the main stream.
    I think with a big media push you could make metro is more mainstream, not sure whether it would be worth the money or if tendo would even know how to do that though.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account

Now ask them if they know who Samus is. You will find way more who know the former.

Metroid will always be a core gamer thing, it doesn't transcend to main stream like a bunch of Nintendo's other IPs. In fact probably most of the people who would know Samus, know her from Smash more so then actual Metroid games. MP4 is not going to be a 10+ million seller, it's a corridor shooter with a specific audience in mind, not the main stream.
    But is that all Metroid can be? Who cares what it has been, it has potential to be so much more. You risk alienating your core fan base by doing that, but I could see Metroid being huge if they changed what it is at the core and just kept the skin. (the look/universe)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    But is that all Metroid can be?
    Yes, that is all Metroid can be.

When you talk about changing up an IP so massively just to try to appeal to a wider audience let me blow your mind: You can just make a new IP and not risk losing an already loyal even if small fan base.

It's like you think Nintendo was bought by EA or some shit, not every game Nintendo funds is meant to be some blockbuster seller. A lot are just to keep core fan bases happy.

You think Nintendo is still funding Bayonetta games hoping they will one day reach main stream appeal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that is all Metroid can be.

When you talk about changing up an IP so massively just to try to appeal to a wider audience let me blow your mind: You can just make a new IP and not risk losing an already loyal even if small fan base.

It's like you think Nintendo was bought by EA or some shit, not every game Nintendo funds is meant to be some blockbuster seller. A lot are just to keep core fan bases happy.

You think Nintendo is still funding Bayonetta games hoping they will one day reach main stream appeal?
    I would argue BotW is a big enough departure thats its not the same kind of game anymore. So if they did that with Zelda they can do it with Metroid.

Oh, I know the target audience of Metroid - it has been relatively niche since its first release on the NES, though part one sold almost 3 mil copies. I was merely wondering what you were referring to with "level". Now I know you meant general brand awareness and not quality.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-01-27 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I would argue BotW is a big enough departure thats its not the same kind of game anymore. So if they did that with Zelda they can do it with Metroid.
    BoTW isn't a big departure at all. At it's core it's still a 3rd person action adventure game with gadgets and puzzle elements. Just because they sacrificed real dungeons and added in survival elements doesn't mean they strayed from the core formula.

Zelda was already open world as a 2D game, and as a 3D game was going from large area to large area between load screens. Transitioning it to full open world wasn't nearly the leap of logic you suggest with making MP open world of all things. Not to mention BoTW took an entire EPD division and over half of monolith to create, the fuck you think Retro is? They ain't nearly that big nor do they have man power on that level.

Not to mention it's not like BoTW is THAT much more successful then TP or OoT to begin with. The first Zelda release on a new system has been pushing around the 10 mil mark for awhile. BoTW is just moderately above them sales wise, the same is true of most Switch releases compared to their respective franchises. Kirby Star Allies is trending way above the 3DS games and they didn't stray from any formula mate... That's because Switch buyers have a higher attach rate then normal.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-01-28 at 12:54 AM.

All I want from Metroid Prime 4 is more FPS/Adventure on an atmospheric and isolated alien planet ala Prime 1 and 2.

Frankly thats all any rabid fan of metroid truely wants.

BoTW isn't a big departure at all. At it's core it's still a 3rd person action adventure game with gadgets and puzzle elements. Just because they sacrificed real dungeons and added in survival elements doesn't mean they strayed from the core formula.
    those statements are mutually exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    All I want from Metroid Prime 4 is more FPS/Adventure on an atmospheric and isolated alien planet ala Prime 1 and 2.

well, they just canned the current MP4 and handed the title back to retro studios, who made the first 3 MPs.
    so it seems like that's what nintendo wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    those statements are mutually exclusive.
    Not even close.

BoTW plays like a 3D Zelda game. You could tell it was a 3D Zelda game even if someone modded link out of it. It has a different theme then most 3D Zelda's but claiming it's a departure from the norm is a massive stretch.

It's more so 3D Zelda meets original NES TLoZ then anything. They didn't completely warp the franchise in any way like the way dude is suggesting they would do for MP4, let alone the fact Retro is not even capable of making a game on that scale alone.

That's even before you get into the massive can of worms that MP4 is a direct sequel and BoTW was not in the first place. There are things fans will expect out of a MP4, where as they basically had a blank canvas for BoTW.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-01-28 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post

I'm a huge metroid fan, but could never get into the Prime series. I started them a few times, but it just didn't feel like metroid. I thought emulation ruined immersion, but I've enjoyed all other emulated(2d) Metroid games just fine, even after having completed them on their respective systems years ago.

Maybe it's the quirky controls, maybe it the lack of vivid colours, maybe it's the lack of detail as a result of going from 2- to 3d. I don't know. At this point, I really hope they'll release a tweaked Trilogy on the Switch, because I feel I'm missing out.

Not even close.

BoTW plays like a 3D Zelda game. You could tell it was a 3D Zelda game even if someone modded link out of it. It has a different theme then most 3D Zelda's but claiming it's a departure from the norm is a massive stretch.

It's more so 3D Zelda meets original NES TLoZ then anything. They didn't completely warp the franchise in any way like the way dude is suggesting they would do for MP4, let alone the fact Retro is not even capable of making a game on that scale alone.

That's even before you get into the massive can of worms that MP4 is a direct sequel and BoTW was not in the first place. There are things fans will expect out of a MP4, where as they basically had a blank canvas for BoTW.
    ya-nah, i'd say BotW is a massive departure considering that the primary gameplay is radically different to any other LoZ game.
    now you spend more time doing the survival elements and puzzles then combat or adventuring, add that the durability of melee weapons means that the bread-and-butter gameplay of a 3d LoZ is GONE means that BotW is an odd LoZ.

lol, no.
    talk out of your ass some more, it won't change the smell.

it's a LoZ game, it carries the onus of bearing that title and being compared to all the other LoZ games in the LoZ series, again you're wrong in that BotW was not a blank canvas in ANY way.

but finally, the turd on top of the shit-sunday "let alone the fact Retro is not even capable of making a game on that scale alone" you don't know a fact from a hole in the ground, retro is owned by Nintendo, if Nintendo wanted MP4 to be a series of dungeons connected by a sprawling open-world overworld, retro would make it so.

ya-nah, i'd say BotW is a massive departure considering that the primary gameplay is radically different to any other LoZ game.
    Primary gameplay?

You mean 3rd person sword and board, hack and dodge combat with gadgets and puzzle solving?

Yea mate they totally changed up the primary gameplay... /s

Not even gonna read the rest of the post after this. BoTW plays like a 3D Zelda game, disputing that is pretty silly. It literally has Z targeting and everything lmfao.

It has a jump button though! Massive departure!

Not even gonna read the rest of the post
    my thoughts exactly, hold on i gotta wait 8min for the master sword to un-break itself, again.

my thoughts exactly, hold on i gotta wait 8min for the master sword to un-break itself, again.
    Or you can equip another of 100s of 1H Swords in the game and the primary gameplay functions the exact same way.

Wow, such primary gameplay departure.

The game has Z targeting ffs, it uses the unique gameplay style of 3D Zelda. You must have never played another 3D Zelda game... You certainly haven't played the original TLoZ that's for sure since you think exploration is some new mechanic in BoTW either...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-01-28 at 09:04 AM.

Not even close.

Since BotW depards from the holy OoT mold, it is not a real Zelda for the rapid fans. Nothing will change their mind.

I don't know mate, but beside the ridiculously stupid weapon breaking mechanic, the core game play is pretty much the same as every other Zelda game.

I loved BoTW, but it's far from perfect. For starters, it was far too easy; Ganon was a joke, especially compared to some Lynels. The story is ridiculous and the way it's narrated more so. Performance was average in most scenarios and quite horrible in some, even after the updates. After killing Ganon, which you can do quite quickly, there's not much pulling you back into the world. The zones are too similar, the enemies don't vary sufficiently and the puzzles are too easy.

I enjoyed it a lot, nevertheless.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-01-28 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Since BotW depards from the holy OoT mold, it is not a real Zelda for the rapid fans. Nothing will change their mind.
    How is it the OoT Mold when LTTP did it first
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    How is it the OoT Mold when LTTP did it first
    LTTP was still 2D. OoT was first 3D Zelda and added rest of the mechanics needed for 3D Zelda.

now you spend more time doing the survival elements and puzzles then combat or adventuring, add that the durability of melee weapons means that the bread-and-butter gameplay of a 3d LoZ is GONE means that BotW is an odd LoZ.

lol, no.
    talk out of your ass some more, it won't change the smell.

it's a LoZ game, it carries the onus of bearing that title and being compared to all the other LoZ games in the LoZ series, again you're wrong in that BotW was not a blank canvas in ANY way.

but finally, the turd on top of the shit-sunday "let alone the fact Retro is not even capable of making a game on that scale alone" you don't know a fact from a hole in the ground, retro is owned by Nintendo, if Nintendo wanted MP4 to be a series of dungeons connected by a sprawling open-world overworld, retro would make it so.
    The only massive departure is the exploration aspect and go anywhere you want aspect. But that is more a return to it's roots aspect that is more in line with the original Zelda on NES. The core gameplay is still a quintessential 3D Zelda game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I don't know mate, but beside the ridiculously stupid weapon breaking mechanic, the core game play is pretty much the same as every other Zelda game.

I loved BoTW, but it's far from perfect. For starters, it was far too easy; Ganon was a joke, especially compared to some Lynels. The story is ridiculous and the way it's narrated more so. Performance was average in most scenarios and quite horrible in some, even after the updates. After killing Ganon, which you can do quite quickly, there's not much pulling you back into the world. The zones are too similar, the enemies don't vary sufficiently and the puzzles are too easy.

I enjoyed it a lot, nevertheless.
    Never experienced performance issues on the Switch. I had some on the WiiU only in towns, or when raining. Updates fixed performance when raining, but towns it still bogged down. But if weapons did not break, most would just find where the best weapon was at go get it and be done. In FPSs do you feel running out of ammo and waiting to use a special/high damage weapon until you find more stupid? It's a very similar concept, plus it encourages exploration. Gannon +4( no divine beasts) is a lot tougher than with them all. Still weak, but he has not reached his full power when you face him iirc. I would have loved a tougher final boss fight, but I'm sure so would have everyone who played Earthworm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    LTTP was still 2D. OoT was first 3D Zelda and added rest of the mechanics needed for 3D Zelda.
    Only thing that OoT added that LTTP didn't have was 3D.

Everything else LTTP had.

Example: OoT you had a hammer to smack the dragon's face, LTTP you had a hammer that smacked Helmasaur King's face.

LTTP had 90% of what OoT had, Only key differences was 3D and being able to ride a horse.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD