15+ Year Old Account
    Well i play la every year so its a 2 and a half hour beat for me, but im still gonna buy it.

Personally, I expect Link's Awakening to be great(and like almost all Zelda games, better than the vast majority of competition) and I don't play Pokemon so I can't comment on it, but I might buy this one just because I've been enjoying the Switch so much lately and have a FOMO about it.

Really though, asking if a Zelda game is gonna be good? Yeah, probably. Zelda games are like the TV show House. They always tell him he's wrong, but he almost always ends up being right by the end of the episode.

It is not worth 79.99 though, even with the new dungeon thing, it is unfortunate they are trying to get so much out of a remake when other companies have made much better ones like Spyro and Crash for much less and much more content over all.

Astral Chain currently at 88 metacritic, 90 percent user reviews. They must have fixed the review bombing. That puts it as having the highest user reviews for any switch game ever atm. Odyssey has an 89 user review currently. Astral Chain current has 2291 user reviews. Review bombing backfired bigtime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It is not worth 79.99 though, even with the new dungeon thing, it is unfortunate they are trying to get so much out of a remake when other companies have made much better ones like Spyro and Crash for much less and much more content over all.
    "It is not worth", "much better ones" We'll see, I suppose. Also, it is only $59.99 here in the states.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-09-04 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yasiru View Post
    What are you on about? I never said anything about awakening being one of the harder games. Maybe you quoted the wrong person?

Uh oh, Tech put me back on ignore. Whatever will I do.... haha Should I feel accomplished? Thanks Tech, the "king of the boards" has acknowledged me
    that was weird I did quote the wrong person sorry about that i meant to quote this remark:

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10033

I really don't think you or Fahrenheit actually played this game with comments like it's easy or it's 5 hours long lol. Don't get me wrong it's certainly not some super difficult game but it is definitely hard by Zelda standards. Truthfully only the NES games where more difficult, and we all know that was more artificial difficulty then anything.

Link's Awakening makes modern Zelda's from like WW onward look like childs play puzzle design wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Astral Chain currently at 88 metacritic, 90 percent user reviews. They must have fixed the review bombing. That puts it as having the highest user reviews for any switch game ever atm. Odyssey has an 89 user review currently. Astral Chain current has 2291 user reviews. Review bombing backfired bigtime.

- - - Updated - - -

"It is not worth", "much better ones" We'll see, I suppose. Also, it is only $59.99 here in the states.
    Same price with the exchange, but still not worth it with comparable releases that are $30 cheaper, I love Nintendo but he pricing on this one is ridiculous so I will have to wait to buy it second hand for $40 in a month or 2.

Spyro and Crash games aren't even remakes. They're remasters. Also I would buy LA all day over some shitty ass activision remaster without even having all the games on cart and also flubbed up the entire platforming physics in crash. Those remasters are ass.

Imagine comparing a Game Boy game being remade from the ground up to some PS1 games ported with a new paint job as comparable efforts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by konflick View Post
    snip
    Oracle games hard, I had a good laugh. They're also my 2 favorite Zelda games. In fact before ALBW they where definitely the easiest 2D Zelda games IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what something is worth is dependent on demand for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller..._16227133011_1

Looks to me like it's worth $60 to most of the world, and it's thrashing Spyro in sales before it's even out which this guy claims is more worth it's price lmao.

Spyro and Crash games aren't even remakes. They're remasters. Also I would buy LA all day over some shitty ass activision remaster without even having all the games on cart and also flubbed up the entire platforming physics in crash. Those remasters are ass.

Imagine comparing a Game Boy game being remade from the ground up to some PS1 games ported with a new paint job as comparable efforts.
    They by definition are remakes, all assets including the engine are new in both games. A GameBoy game is not worth a AAA price I am sorry, I will get it cheap once some sucker buys and beats it and realizes his wasted money.

That doesn't mean it is not a great game because it is, you can look at things objectively without hating a company, but you may not be an adult or critical thinker so that is fine as many are not.

They by definition are remakes, all assets including the engine are new in both games. A GameBoy game is not worth a AAA price I am sorry, I will get it cheap once some sucker buys and beats it and realizes his wasted money.

That doesn't mean it is not a great game because it is, you can look at things objectively without hating a company, but you may not be an adult or critical thinker so that is fine as many are not.
    "A GameBoy game is not worth a AAA price" I think you are painting with too broad a brush here. Look at the many games that have crashed and burned that are priced at 60 dollars at launch, many of which I'm sure are worse than Link's Awakening(but we shall see).

"I will get it cheap once some sucker buys and beats it and realizes his wasted money." By that standard, aren't all of us wasting our money on any single player game we buy, such as Resident Evil 2? Odds are your hypothetical seller will waste less than those who bought other single player games of similar length, because Nintendo exclusive games tend to hold their value longer.

So for example, I had the decision to either buy Control or Astral Chain at launch for 60 dollars. Judging by past Nintendo exclusives, I expected Astral Chain to hold value longer. I soon after saw a frontpage deal on slickdeals where the PS4 version of Control was discounted. It made me glad that I bought Astral Chain first. However, if I did buy Control, and enjoyed it, I would not feel I wasted my money.

By your standard, aren't we all technically "suckers" for buying any game at full price?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-09-04 at 07:53 PM.

There is nothing remade about the Crash or Spyro games that are literally 1:1 with the original games, they just look modern. You really don't seem to understand the difference here. Resident Evil 2 is a remake, Link's Awakening is a remake. Crash and Spyro are remasters. The fact you can't tell the difference is pretty funny.

Link's Awakening WAS a gameboy game. It's not anymore. In case you missed it, it's not a 2D game with black and white 8 bit graphics anymore.

Lastly good luck getting it cheap used, Nintendo games hold their value even used my dude lmao. You'll save 10-15 at best.

There is nothing remade about the Crash or Spyro games that are literally 1:1 with the original games, they just look modern. You really don't seem to understand the difference here. Resident Evil 2 is a remake, Link's Awakening is a remake. Crash and Spyro are remasters. The fact you can't tell the difference is pretty funny.

Link's Awakening WAS a gameboy game. It's not anymore. In case you missed it, it's not a 2D game with black and white 8 bit graphics anymore.

Lastly good luck getting it cheap used, Nintendo games hold their value even used my dude lmao. You'll save 10-15 at best.
    They remade the games from the ground up meticulously, that is still a remake, technically it is both. The original games were not all available in the same package either and Crash did have added levels.

They remade the games from the ground up meticulously,
    No they didn't......

That's the part your not getting.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No they didn't......

That's the part your not getting.
    What? They used a new engine for both games and had to get everything to work the same way and all new assets were made from scratch, argue all you want but that is a remake. A remaster would be like when they re-released all the metroid prime games together on the Wii.

What? They used a new engine for both games and had to get everything to work the same way and all new assets were made from scratch, argue all you want but that is a remake. A remaster would be like when they re-released all the metroid prime games together on the Wii.
    Catherine Full Body was made in a different engine then Catherine.

Guess what? It's still a remaster with added content, not a remake.

And no, the MP Trilogy on the Wii was not a remaster, because they did nothing but straight up port the games and support motion controls in 1 and 2. They did nothing to touch it up, not even close to a remaster lmao.

I wonder why people always have such a hard time grasping what an actual remake is vs a remaster when you have the best example of an actual remake come out this year in Resident Evil 2. If something is 1:1 it's a remaster not a remake. It's like calling FFX HD a remake because they redid most models, textures and got higher quality versions of the music and cgi scenes- still a remaster and not even close to what FF7 Remake is.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-09-04 at 08:14 PM.

Catherine Full Body was made in a different engine.

Guess what? It's still a remaster with added content, not a remake.

And no, the MP Trilogy on the Wii was not a remaster, because they did nothing but straight up port the games and support motion controls in 1 and 2. They did nothing to touch it up, not even close to a remaster lmao.
    A remaster is as simple as increasing the resolution and making it work on current hardware, or porting it over to a new platform with some touch ups. You are not usually touching any of the base code too much unless needed.

This argument is dumb.

Bottom line is if your shitty on Link's Awaking price because its a remake of a GB title then your just childish.

Also Links Awaking does have content that wasn't in the original, The dungeon creator is one of those things.

- - - Updated - - -

If something is 1:1 it's a remaster not a remake.
    IMO some games that is 1:1 still count as a remake due to the work put into them.

SoTC being one of those games.

By ur logic Link's Awaking is a remaster as well because of how close to 1:1 it is. Its in 3D but the map layout and everything is the same as the GB title.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...gnited-trilogy

https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...n-sane-trilogy

At least one of those reviewers consider price. The first visible review on the Crash page mentions the price. $39.99.

We'll see if Link's Awakening reviews are lower than these because they will also consider price.

It is hard to go by personal taste. Our on biases will show thru.

However, other metrics we could go by would be brand recognition and popularity. The Legend of Zelda would likely beat out most comers in those regards. Also, popularity is not a good metric. However, things that are popular and which are often billed as "prestigious brands" do often go for a premium price. Comparing Spyro or Crash to Zelda as a AAA premium brand would lead one to believe the Zelda game would fetch a higher price.

As mentioned in this thread, user reviews can be review bombed or reverse review bombed, and popularity/sales aren't ideal(there are many bad things that sell very well). So let's just see how the actual reviews shake out.

Looks like Crash and Spyro are in the 80-85 metacritic range on PS4. It also appears that their bargain price is reflected in at least one of those reviews and most likely a few of them. However, these are not the reviews for Switch. Those games on switch currently have considerably lower reviews. See here:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/swit...n-sane-trilogy

https://www.metacritic.com/game/swit...gnited-trilogy

Perhaps the Switch versions are not the same as they are on PS4?

We will have a Zelda Link's Awakening Metacritic score soon. We can still have our own opinions, but it will be interesting to see how critics treat Link's Awakening vs the other two games, remastered, remake, whatever you want to call them. Luckily we have at least that to measure them against each other and determine which game is the best bet/value for the money.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-09-04 at 08:33 PM.

IMO some games that is 1:1 still count as a remake due to the work put into them.

SoTC being one of those games.
    SoTC remake is definitely not 1:1. It's close but not quite, which is what you would expect from someone trying to fully remake a game from the ground up- you're not going to ever get it 1:1 without using the same base even when they tried to be as faithful as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

A remaster is as simple as increasing the resolution and making it work on current hardware, or porting it over to a new platform with some touch ups. You are not usually touching any of the base code too much unless needed.
    Wrong. A remaster is taking a base game and making it look better. A remake is completely starting from a blank canvas again.

Claiming MP trilogy on the Wii was a remaster when they're the same damn games and you could put 1 and 2 GC versions in your Wii and they would look exactly the same is hilarious.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-09-04 at 08:36 PM.

We will have a Zelda Link's Awakening Metacritic score soon. We can still have our own opinions, but it will be interesting to see how critics treat Link's Awakening vs the other two games, remastered, remake, whatever you want to call them. Luckily we have at least that to measure them against each other and determine which game is the best bet/value for the money.
    Link's Awakening already wins for best value for money before its even released.

The reason it does is because of the dungeon creator. That provides a endless amount of replay ability unlike Crash/Spyro having around 20-25hrs max of gameplay.

I honestly hope the dungeon creator leads into it being its own thing like Mario Maker.

- - - Updated - - -

SoTC remake is definitely not 1:1. It's close but not quite, which is what you would expect from someone trying to fully remake a game from the ground up- you're not going to ever get it 1:1 without using the same base.
    How is it not 1:1?

Correct me if I am wrong but all the boss fights and the world is laid out the same.

How is it not 1:1?

Correct me if I am wrong but all the boss fights and the world is laid out the same.
    I mean for one thing the controls are almost completely different and no where near as weighty- where as compare it to crash or spyro remasters where the controls are identical. There are many minor details missing from the original as well. It's enough to see it didn't use SoTC as a base and instead remade it from scratch.

It's definitely not 1:1 and you can easily feel that just by playing the PS3 remaster and the remake back to back.