1. #28021
    Banned Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    7,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess they took to long? Xeno2 is shorter tho.
    I mean, yes and no. I have no issues putting 100+ hours into a game. Witcher 3, X-Com 2, DQ11, I have over an 100 on all of them, all on 1 play through. But, something about those Xeno games just felt, I don't know, hollow? I can't put my finger on it, it 'should' be a style of game I could get into, but inevitably, 20-30 hours in I'd just lose my desire to jump on. I would say maybe it's too much 'J' in my RPG, but shit, I just played through FF7 remake, and like I said, put 100 hours into DQ11.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-06-13 at 01:17 AM.

  2. #28022
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I mean, yes and no. I have no issues putting 100+ hours into a game. Witcher 3, X-Com 2, DQ11, I have over an 100 on all of them, all on 1 play through. But, something about those Xeno games just felt, I don't know, hollow? I can't put my finger on it, it 'should' be a style of game I could get into, but inevitably, 20-30 hours in I'd just lose my desire to jump on. I would say maybe it's too much 'J' in my RPG, but shit, I just played through FF7 remake, and like I said, put 100 hours into DW11.
    Probably because XBC1 is a slog. Too much padding. The sidequests are awful. The crafting is awful. Anything that isn't main story cutscenes is awful. As for the story itself, the first 30 hours - up until Prison Island - is good-ish. Lots of boring, meandering filler, and Reyn, Sharla, and Melia are as interesting as cardboard boxes, but the story is overall good. Then you hit Prison Island and the story falls off a cliff and stops being compelling.

    XBC1 is overrated. It was hyped because it was one of the handful of JRPGs that came out on the Wii, and when it came out on 3DS it was perceived as relatively higher quality than most 3DS games. Then XBC2 came out and Shulk in Smash made the XBC series blow up in popularity.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  3. #28023
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Probably because XBC1 is a slog. Too much padding. The sidequests are awful. The crafting is awful. Anything that isn't main story cutscenes is awful. As for the story itself, the first 30 hours - up until Prison Island - is good-ish. Lots of boring, meandering filler, and Reyn, Sharla, and Melia are as interesting as cardboard boxes, but the story is overall good. Then you hit Prison Island and the story falls off a cliff and stops being compelling.

    XBC1 is overrated. It was hyped because it was one of the handful of JRPGs that came out on the Wii, and when it came out on 3DS it was perceived as relatively higher quality than most 3DS games. Then XBC2 came out and Shulk in Smash made the XBC series blow up in popularity.
    If you honestly think the only reason XBC1 was successful was because of the console it was on, you're just flat out wrong.

    It's still considering a masterpiece even on the Switch. Hell, even with how watered down the 3DS version was, it was STILL wildly popular. That should tell you something.

  4. #28024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    If you honestly think the only reason XBC1 was successful was because of the console it was on, you're just flat out wrong.

    It's still considering a masterpiece even on the Switch. Hell, even with how watered down the 3DS version was, it was STILL wildly popular. That should tell you something.
    + The even remaster is higher reviewed then Xenoblade 2 but he is acting like Xenoblade 2 is the better game that made the series popular? What did I just read?

    Xenoblade 1 is a flawed masterpiece but a masterpiece none the less. You don't have to do side quests to finish the game, you don't have to craft to finish the game so there go's 2 of his complaints right off the bat. If you don't like doing that shit, simply don't do it. The game doesn't force you to. Most of the side quests don't even give xp, and the ones that do are typically the actual named side quests not "monster quest 3" and the named quests have cool mini stories that progress the world building.

    Xenoblade 2 is far more of a chore because of blade RNG and skill checks needed simply to progress main story. And I love Xenoblade 2 as well but if any game is the slog... it's 2.

  5. #28025
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    + The even remaster is higher reviewed then Xenoblade 2 but he is acting like Xenoblade 2 is the better game that made the series popular? What did I just read?

    Xenoblade 1 is a flawed masterpiece but a masterpiece none the less. You don't have to do side quests to finish the game, you don't have to craft to finish the game so there go's 2 of his complaints right off the bat. If you don't like doing that shit, simply don't do it. The game doesn't force you to. Most of the side quests don't even give xp, and the ones that do are typically the actual named side quests not "monster quest 3" and the named quests have cool mini stories that progress the world building.

    Xenoblade 2 is far more of a chore because of blade RNG and skill checks needed simply to progress main story. And I love Xenoblade 2 as well but if any game is the slog... it's 2.
    I fully agree. I just tried getting back into Xenoblade 2 and I got slammed with how much I slacked off on leveling blades's skill charts up and not doing side quests and TIGER TIGER UGH.

    I know Xenoblade 1 does have a lot of side stuff, like how entire talent trees are locked behind Colony ranking and what not, but it never felt like it factored heavily into the main story itself, unlike making sure you feed your blades their favorite foods.

  6. #28026
    Ironically enough, my issue with Xenoblade 1 wasn't the gameplay itself, but the resolution of the game. To be fair, I'm having similar issues with current games, but I swear most of these games are meant to be played on really large screens. If you have a smaller TV screen, everything is so tiny that it always gives me headaches after playing for a short while. I had such a hard time reading the text, as well, and I have 10/20 vision.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #28027
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I fully agree. I just tried getting back into Xenoblade 2 and I got slammed with how much I slacked off on leveling blades's skill charts up and not doing side quests and TIGER TIGER UGH.

    I know Xenoblade 1 does have a lot of side stuff, like how entire talent trees are locked behind Colony ranking and what not, but it never felt like it factored heavily into the main story itself, unlike making sure you feed your blades their favorite foods.
    Only hard part with xenoblade 2 was......Ursula

    Tiger tiger could be ignored as you could just enter a special area and buy stuff for points you earned there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Ironically enough, my issue with Xenoblade 1 wasn't the gameplay itself, but the resolution of the game. To be fair, I'm having similar issues with current games, but I swear most of these games are meant to be played on really large screens. If you have a smaller TV screen, everything is so tiny that it always gives me headaches after playing for a short while. I had such a hard time reading the text, as well, and I have 10/20 vision.
    Did you change the game camera? It kinda helps if you adjust distance from character.

  8. #28028
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Only hard part with xenoblade 2 was......Ursula

    Tiger tiger could be ignored as you could just enter a special area and buy stuff for points you earned there.
    New game+ only.
    Not in the first playthrough.

    So if you want to use Tora the first playthrough you have to suck it up.

    And to clarify, it's not difficult to navigate a million menus, hunt down specific foods and monsters to slay, and what not.

    It's tedious. It's boring.

  9. #28029
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    New game+ only.
    Not in the first playthrough.

    So if you want to use Tora the first playthrough you have to suck it up.

    And to clarify, it's not difficult to navigate a million menus, hunt down specific foods and monsters to slay, and what not.

    It's tedious. It's boring.
    You could skip most of those by sending blades on missions. Only some specific blades needed to do a specific area.

  10. #28030
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Only hard part with xenoblade 2 was......Ursula

    Tiger tiger could be ignored as you could just enter a special area and buy stuff for points you earned there.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Did you change the game camera? It kinda helps if you adjust distance from character.
    Ursula wasn't hard, just grindy as all hell with the way it tied into the whole real time missions thing it had. There's no good reason to even other with that joke of an affinity chart she has given there's much better blade options in the game to begin with than her.

  11. #28031
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,856
    I'm annoyed that Luigi's Mansion 3 isn't on sale, I've been wanting to pick it up for a while.

  12. #28032
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I'm annoyed that Luigi's Mansion 3 isn't on sale, I've been wanting to pick it up for a while.
    Nintendo 1st parties never go to any substantial sales. At best you might get it for 50$ three years from now.

  13. #28033
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    14,125
    Xenoblade is one of the best jrpgs of all time and a dude who shills for trails of cold steel the hedgehog 24/7 complaining about padding when it took 4 games to finish the story is lol

  14. #28034
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    You could skip most of those by sending blades on missions. Only some specific blades needed to do a specific area.
    Unless I missed it, pretty sure you can't send the important blades off, like Poppi and Mythra.

    That being said, waiting anywhere from 30-60 minutes IN GAME isn't great either, while also gimping yourself from blades you're trying to use.

  15. #28035
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Xenoblade is one of the best jrpgs of all time and a dude who shills for trails of cold steel the hedgehog 24/7 complaining about padding when it took 4 games to finish the story is lol
    Not that your statement is wrong but you're giving falcom way too much credit if you think they finished the story in CS4 lmao. CS4 ending leaves more questions then answers, their team simply has no idea how to wrap up story arcs. Hell their big marketing point for Trails of the Begining is that it "puts the events in motion to lead to series ending" probably gonna get another trilogy based in Calvard after this game. They're gonna milk Trails until Japan stops buying it, the series was originally supposed to end with SC(7 fucking games ago) so color me skeptical they actually deliver on their promise of ending the series any time soon. This is the fucking bleach of JRPGs.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-06-15 at 03:21 AM.

  16. #28036
    anyone here with a switch lite?
    do you regret it and wish you bought the normal version?

    kinda can't decide which version I want... lite version is cheaper and basically the handheld (gameboy) type (imo)
    while the normal version is handheld (gameboy)+ home console (gamecube/wii)...

    games I would/want to buy/play: pokemon, zelda, mario (party), dragon quest, smash bros, some rpg's...
    is the normal version worth it?

    please help :x

  17. #28037
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    anyone here with a switch lite?
    do you regret it and wish you bought the normal version?

    kinda can't decide which version I want... lite version is cheaper and basically the handheld (gameboy) type (imo)
    while the normal version is handheld (gameboy)+ home console (gamecube/wii)...

    games I would/want to buy/play: pokemon, zelda, mario (party), dragon quest, smash bros, some rpg's...
    is the normal version worth it?

    please help :x
    I would never give up the ability to just sit down and put it up on my monitor personally.

  18. #28038
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    anyone here with a switch lite?
    do you regret it and wish you bought the normal version?

    kinda can't decide which version I want... lite version is cheaper and basically the handheld (gameboy) type (imo)
    while the normal version is handheld (gameboy)+ home console (gamecube/wii)...

    games I would/want to buy/play: pokemon, zelda, mario (party), dragon quest, smash bros, some rpg's...
    is the normal version worth it?

    please help :x
    RPGs are fine but playing Mario or Smash in handheld sucks ass, you really want the option to use a real controller for those. You can connect a pro controller to a lite but at that point might as well own the actual switch and not be playing on a tiny ass screen.

  19. #28039
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    anyone here with a switch lite?
    do you regret it and wish you bought the normal version?

    kinda can't decide which version I want... lite version is cheaper and basically the handheld (gameboy) type (imo)
    while the normal version is handheld (gameboy)+ home console (gamecube/wii)...

    games I would/want to buy/play: pokemon, zelda, mario (party), dragon quest, smash bros, some rpg's...
    is the normal version worth it?

    please help :x
    If you can afford it, and can find it right now, even if play exclusively handheld, I still suggest the normal switch. The screen is bigger, more customization with joycon's, grips, decals etc. I think the battery is better. And the option to hook it up to the TV is always there.

  20. #28040
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    14,125
    Well switch is getting its first kh game so here comes more 1.5-3 port begging plz square

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •