Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Somebody told me that the switch had a 40% defective/failure rate

Any source on this??
    I've heard nothing about failures. As for defects there are reported issues that the Dock can scratch the screen (which doesn't seem like a MAJORITY are having this issue, but I would still recommend a screen protector just to be safe) and the left joy con issue (which is an easy fix if you know how to solder).

If they are to be trusted....NoA is claiming that while touring they have never encountered an issue with the dock scratching their systems, so it is uncertain what is causing it or exactly how many have this issue. Could simply be some of the dyes used to mold the plastic docks weren't made right, causing jagged edges. That could explain why not every unit seems to have that issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Oh, well I knew at first the url was changed. But didn't know they did that after.

It would make since, since the dam thing is damaging systems.
    I wouldn't be suprised if they do a recall, or let you order a new dock. They did something similar with the Wii when people were chucking their Wiimotes at their TV's because the straps were snapping. They ended up giving out new, thicker straps and Wiimote condoms (the rubber thingies that they tended to have around them...) for free to anyone with a Wii.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Easy if you can solder how? You just move the antenna to the end of the joycon instead of the middle? Or is it the other way around?

As for the dock: I assume its supposed to fit snugly into the dock and some of them are getting pinched inwards during shipping/packaging due to the U-shape. This causes them to have a tighter fit than intended and scuff the screen.

Given they cheaped out on the screen, I would definitely get the tempered glass screen protector for this thing.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2017-03-13 at 07:46 PM.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ret...GSS-05-10aaa0b

Nintendo Switch's launch was a success, but stock shortages worry retailers
    Though the launch of the Nintendo Switch has been a successful one for the Japanese publisher, it seems the console is now faced with low stock worldwide.

The device experienced a record-breaking opening few days, but at least one retailer isn't sure when the hybrid device will be back in stock. "We are in communications with Nintendo, but there is not a confirmed date as of yet," one anonymous UK manager told MCV. "With Mario Kart coming in April, I would hope there would be more [Switch console] stock before then but that's not been confirmed."

Fellow UK retailer GameSeek told the magazine that stock levels had already hit "zero." The online shop wasn't able to sell any more units of the console over the weekend as it simply "wasn't on sale," according to the store's managing director, Stephen Staley.

In the US, Amazon is currently out of Nintendo Switch stock, with third-party sellers advertising the console for upwards of $400 (its MSRP is US $300 / £280 / AU $470). GameStop, meanwhile, is also out of stock; only a $600 bundle launching on April 16 is available to purchase.

Australian stores such as EB Games do seem to have Switch stock, but the console is a little harder to come by in the UK. Both the gray and neon color variants are currently unavailable at Game and Amazon UK, with the latter saying it will receive stock on March 31. On its website, Game states, "At this time we have not received official confirmation of the next stock delivery of this product from Nintendo. Please pre-order and we will notify you of your delivery date once the delivery of stock has been confirmed."
    In addition, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has suffered stock shortages at some retailers--its boxed version for Nintendo Switch is currently unavailable on Amazon UK and US, as well as Game, though it can be found at EB and GameStop. Following universal acclaim, the open-world game debuted at No.2 in the UK sales chart, though it dropped to No.4 this week.

As inconvenient as low stock is, it is encouraging for Nintendo that consumers are snapping up the company's new products at such a pace. The Switch is apparently Nintendo's fastest-selling console ever in the Americas, Europe, and Australia.

The challenge remains, however, to maintain the flow of units throughout 2017 as the console's games lineup improves. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launches on April 28, before Arms arrives at some point in spring and Splatoon 2 in the summer--these will likely drive further interest in the hybrid console.

GameSpot has contacted Nintendo for comment on the stock shortages; we'll update if we hear back.
    This is going to hurt The Switch a lot, Nintendo needs to get more systems out in the wild and asap.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I've heard nothing about failures. As for defects there are reported issues that the Dock can scratch the screen (which doesn't seem like a MAJORITY are having this issue, but I would still recommend a screen protector just to be safe) and the left joy con issue (which is an easy fix if you know how to solder).

If they are to be trusted....NoA is claiming that while touring they have never encountered an issue with the dock scratching their systems, so it is uncertain what is causing it or exactly how many have this issue. Could simply be some of the dyes used to mold the plastic docks weren't made right, causing jagged edges. That could explain why not every unit seems to have that issue.
    The problem with the dock arises from teh fact that they used plastic screen, which is of equal hardness to the plastic dock. Had they used glass screen, which is harder than the dock, the screen would be scratching the dock and not the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Easy if you can solder how? You just move the antenna to the end of the joycon instead of the middle? Or is it the other way around?
    You basically have to attach extra wire that runs to the outer edge of the controller to the exiting antenna. The wire then acts as an antenna for the bluetooth.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be suprised if they do a recall, or let you order a new dock. They did something similar with the Wii when people were chucking their Wiimotes at their TV's because the straps were snapping. They ended up giving out new, thicker straps and Wiimote condoms (the rubber thingies that they tended to have around them...) for free to anyone with a Wii.
    Are you kidding? There's someone in this very thread that claimed his Switch BSOD'd:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yup. Sat on Zelda. About 30 minutes in the system just bluescreens. Other people have been reporting it as well.
    Granted, I don't think the issue is very common (and I heard a rumor that it may actually just be the monitor getting disconnected from the SoC), but to pretend that there are no failures is absurd.

I also don't believe NoA for a second about the dock scratching. Blunty, a BIG TIME SWITCH FANBOY got his Switch scratched after docking it ONE TIME.

Nintendo really should've partnered up with either amFilm or Orzly to pack in a tempered glass screen protector with every Switch. They're being sold at $10 for a two pack, so I can easily see Nintendo being able to buy wholesale and pack in a screen protector for anywhere between $1 to $2 per console. And before anyone says that would cost too much and lose them too much money, I remember the Wii, just like you. I got one on launch day. They didn't come with those plastic Wiimote protectors until way after people started throwing their Wiimotes into TVs (because people are apparently the most idiotic creatures on Earth). They offered the Wiimote protectors for FREE to people that bought a Wii before they existed, and I had them send one to me just because. I never even so much as dropped a Wiimote, but I like free shit and you can never be too safe I guess. But that's the catch: The DOCK YOU USE TO PLAY THE CONSOLE ON TV scratches the screen. The only solution to that is to never play docked until you get a third-party screen protector. The solution to the Wiimote problem is to get a fucking brain before you try to play a video game.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    The problem with the dock arises from teh fact that they used plastic screen, which is of equal hardness to the plastic dock. Had they used glass screen, which is harder than the dock, the screen would be scratching the dock and not the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -

You basically have to attach extra wire that runs to the outer edge of the controller to the exiting antenna. The wire then acts as an antenna for the bluetooth.

On the flip side, using a glass screen would have significantly increased the WEIGHT of the system, and would be prone to cracking if dropped, even if you had a protector on it. A plastic screen WOULD NOT break under this circumstance. But you can buy tempered glass screen protectors for the system if you really want, the guy in the video you linked with the Left Joycon fix has a video where he bought some for his.

As for me: I planned on a screen protector regardless, since the thing is still a handheld in my eyes. For things like the DS I don't since it safely clam-shells closed, but for this I would have. I probably won't get a glass one for weight reasons, though for now I'll use a normal plastic one which should still do the trick.
    Last edited by Keile; 2017-03-13 at 08:04 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Until I get my Switch and finally get to play Breath of the Wild

Looking forward to it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Until I get my Switch and finally get to play Breath of the Wild

Looking forward to it.
    Here, try playing this:

Here, try playing this:

I tried didn't work, Been playing a bit of MM3DS tho while waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Are you kidding? There's someone in this very thread that claimed his Switch BSOD'd:
    Only issue I had so far was last night, after finishing playing Zelda, I hit the Home button to close the software and put the console to sleep, but for some reason, the Home button did nothing.
    Neither would the screenshot button.

The game was still running fine up until I undocked the console, and plugged in a single JoyCon to check, and then it just completely froze up. Had to force it to shut down, but it booted up just fine again. Granted, this was after...4-5 hours of playing? Undocked, and docked.
    Not sure if it's a one time issue, or going to happen again. I would imagine somehow whatever runs the home software crashed somehow, but that's my uneducated guess, since I don't know much about that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

Usually there is a bit more to it (length, orientation, etc..), but the guy managed by sheer luck, so if people ape his hack as close as possible it should have the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Usually there is a bit more to it (length, orientation, etc..), but the guy managed by sheer luck, so if people ape his hack as close as possible it should have the same effect.
    Uh, I dunno if I would call it "sheer luck". The dude repairs consoles for money. He probably knows what he's doing.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Uh, I dunno if I would call it "sheer luck". The dude repairs consoles for money. He probably knows what he's doing.
    Well it didn't look like he put a lot of thought into his antenna hack, unless he forgot to mention that he matched the length to the existing antenna. If he had mismatched it badly (especially phase wise) and the solder joint would have just been a test point, then he might have actually decreased the signal strength.

Edit: Hmm thinking about it, with the way the geometry works it might have worked either way, probably, as long as one doesn't run it perpendicular to the existing one.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-03-13 at 09:28 PM.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ret...GSS-05-10aaa0b

This is going to hurt The Switch a lot, Nintendo needs to get more systems out in the wild and asap.
    what else is new at the world of nintendo? Same shit different day.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some frame drops in games might be cause by the switch searching for a Wifi connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Some frame drops in games might be cause by the switch searching for a Wifi connection.
    If that's true that's just sad. It shows how weak the hardware really is and how Nintendo really did cram 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound sack.

(Not saying The Switch is a bad system) Just that its rushed.

Looking forward to playing mine tomorrow, will also be picking up The Binding of Isaac.

Also Has-Been Heroes looks like it mite be fun.

I understand that it's stupid that Nintendo used cheap plastic to cover the screen, but anyone who thinks it's a good idea to not put tempered glass or at least a screen protector on such a huge screen kinda deserves it =/

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    I understand that it's stupid that Nintendo used cheap plastic to cover the screen, but anyone who thinks it's a good idea to not put tempered glass or at least a screen protector on such a huge screen kinda deserves it =/
    There is a issue (from what I hear) if you do any screen protector besides Tempered glass, The heat from the system causes it to bubble up a lot.

If that's true that's just sad. It shows how weak the hardware really is and how Nintendo really did cram 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound sack.
    I'm not sure about that and may just be an error in the coding. I remember disabling online features in Assassins Creed Unity being a 5 fps average jump on XB1/PS4/PC back when it came out and was marred for major performance issues.

Not that the Switch isn't under powered for a "home console"... but that shouldn't be causing major performance issues.

There is a issue (from what I hear) if you do any screen protector besides Tempered glass, The heat from the system causes it to bubble up a lot.

Even after playing hours nonstop with the switch it never got even remotely to being warm, I'm sure that there is more to that issue than people like to admit , or at least I hope...