Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Pff no, they ported it because it's a easy way to make money. It's freaking pokemon...the basic game itself hasn't changed since red and blue and it's still a huge cash cow.

Pokemon is one of those games that people will always buy, kind of like how Rockstar released GTA for the PS3/Xbox360 and a little bit later for the PS4/Xone semi forcing hardcore addicts to buy the game twice
    or Minecraft, if I read some stories you have people buying the same freaking game across a handfull of platforms
    pokken isnt a regular pokemon game, its a fighting game made by the people who made tekken
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I really enjoyed Pokken, it had a solid foundation but was never expanded upon, am happy it's coming in a much improved form in September

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Its ridiculous to have two hand helds on the market like this. (even if one is a hybrid) The Switch needs the games.
    Well right now, it does not need a pokemon game.

People are hoping that Nintendo pumps out more and more games year 1, the Switch already has one of the best Year 1 lineups in console history, Mario, Zelda, MK, and Splatoon are all huge heavy hitters. Adding Pokemon won't do anything right now, it needs to be saved for year 2 or even 3.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they said this is an alternate version of sun and moons story, which is game developer talk for "we just did the same old shit and put a couple doodads in it"
    You're talking about a game that's huge reveal basically was there's alternate dimensions in the Pokemon universe,and the "Sequel" takes place in another universe (From what I've heard).

It's very possible this could be on the same scale as BW2.

Granted, either way, we're not going to know for sure until closer to the release.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    No, it's really not.

It was a 3 year old game that already sold 8 million fucking copies and a bare bones port with very minor additions. No way in hell any other company but Nintendo gets away with charging full price for something like that. Bethesda literally got shit on for doing a very similar situation with the Skyrim remaster, but people tend to forget when Nintendo is just taking money because they can.
    And MK8 for Wii U came with a free digital download game if you pre-ordered.

Not that big of a deal in the grand scope of the game, but still, $60 for two games basically.

Didn't Sony literally sell Last of Us again on ps4 a year after the ps3 release?

That was fine, but Mk8D is unacceptable?
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Didn't Sony literally sell Last of Us again on ps4 a year after the ps3 release?

I didn't really think that was okay either personally, but that appears to have obtained a $10 price drop before launching.
    https://www.polygon.com/2014/6/22/58...ce-drop-refund

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    pokken isnt a regular pokemon game, its a fighting game made by the people who made tekken
    Semantics.

It has pikachu in it so it's a pokemon game. Doesn't have to a turn based rpg to make it a pokemon game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Semantics.

It has pikachu in it so it's a pokemon game. Doesn't have to a turn based rpg to make it a pokemon game.
    Lumping spin-offs in with their main titles can be terribly misleading under normal circumstances. It would be like trying to bill Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo as a Street Fighter game.

Semantics.

Semantics would be what you're doing right now.

You and I know full well what he means when he says "regular pokemon game".

It's not denying that Pokken is pokemon related, it's denying that it's not a pokemon game with the usual formula/genre. Ergo, a regular pokemon game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It is a Street Fighter game. Just like Pokken is most assuredly a Pokemon game.

Here's you go:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...pokemon-games/

The company itself considers it a Pokemon game.
    Please point out where I said it wasn't a Pokemon game or that Puzzle Fighter wasn't a Street Fighter game. I said "Lumping spin-offs in with their main titles can be terribly misleading under normal circumstances." Those are two completely different contentions.

When someone uses the phrase "regular pokemon game", it's painfully obvious that they're referring to the rpg game where you travel around and try to catch 'em all, just as if you heard someone talking about Street Fighter, you would be safe in assuming they were referencing a fighting game instead of the puzzle-based spin-off.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post

They did, when it was only 10 months old and literally doubled the performance of the game from 720/30 to 1080/60 oh and it wasn't a full price game it was $50.

When it came out on the PS4 it actually was more to buy the ps3 version+left behind which where $39.99/$14.99 respectively.

Nice try on the comparison tho.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-06-07 at 07:16 PM.

They did, when it was only 10 months old and literally doubled the performance of the game from 720/30 to 1080/60 oh and it wasn't a full price game it was $50.

When it came out on the PS4 it actually was more to buy the ps3 version+left behind which where $39.99/$14.99 respectively.

Also it included all the DLC.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It doesn't change the fact that they resold it though right? 10 dollars off isn't really that major.

MK8 does run better, nowhere near double, but it does run better and look better, and it includes all the dlc.

If I had MK8 U would I have bought it? Probably not but I doubt I would have but Last of Us again either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I didn't really think that was okay either personally, but that appears to have obtained a $10 price drop before launching.
    https://www.polygon.com/2014/6/22/58...ce-drop-refund
    Which is good, Sony made the right decision there, but I still think both are cash grabs, Nintendo more so obviously.
    Diablo Bore.

7+ Year Old Account
    You know you're contradicting yourself right? Saying pokemon game is lumping spin-offs in with their main titles. It's not terribly misleading and those are the normal, and most common, circumstances.
    I completely disagree. There is no contradiction in that line of thought. In the normal course of a conversation where someone is discussing a game of any prominence (Street Fighter, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, etc.), should the person simply use the title of a series to describe a game, it is accepted that the individual is referencing the specific game type/genre the series is known for. In doing so, this excludes spin-offs unless the context supports the idea that the spin-off is the intended focus of the conversation.

In this thread, someone uses terms to designate a "regular pokemon" game, which is an obvious nod to the series original roots. This would automatically exclude games like Pokken, Snap, etc. It's quite important to acknowledge the difference between game types that a series is known for and the departures from a genre that simply end up sharing universe assets. Case in point, this thread has spent more time than necessary disputing the legitimacy of Pokken being a "Pokemon" game. It is in the sense that the characters, title, and universe all reside in the same territory as the classic games, but there's not really an argument one can form that Pokken is a "Pokemon game" when everything about the context supports the idea that "Pokemon game" is exclusively referring to the RPG the genre was founded upon.

The same can be said (or could be before each main series gained enough praise to stand alone) of lumping all Mario games together (RPGs, Party Games, Platformers, Sports, Racing, etc.) under the same umbrella. Whilst you would be correct at a technical level to call them all Mario games, you would've completely missed the point of the topic at hand by oversimplifying a topic to such a degree if the platformer genre was the specified intent of a dialog.

TL;DR Label it as semantics if you wish, but the differences between the definitions of commonly used words can carry significant gravity in the normal course of conversation.

Pokken is a Tekken game with Pokemon skins.

End of this ridiculous debate.

Pokken is a Tekken game with Pokemon skins.

End of this ridiculous debate.
    What the hell is a Tekken

7+ Year Old Account
    In fact, it's the first time I'd ever seen someone do so. So, call it semantics if you wish, but your statement that lumping in spin-off games with main series games is misleading is false. They're lumped together just by all being Pokemon games. How is it misleading to call them Pokemon games? If I add regular, you have a point, but that's slightly different and not normal or the usual way people lump these things together.
    Suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, 'cause I've seen problems/misunderstandings arise from lumping in spin-offs with main series entries on a variety of occasions over the years - both across various forums and in real world conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    What the hell is a Tekken
    A fist made of iron.

Go's well up the rear of people doing a 1 page debate over if something is Pokemon or not.

7+ Year Old Account
    Weird. You must hang out with some people that have real issues with communication. Or they make too many assumptions.
    I would say it's more of a combination of those that don't necessarily keep up with the modern landscape of gaming (aka: the ignorant), and those that prefer to troll their life away on the internet (aka: the deliberately obtuse), but I have definitely ran across more than a few that simply lacked the basic skills of communication.

On-topic: My Switch was delivered today, and I'll be diving in to some MK8 and BotW in the very near future. Since I haven't played a Nintendo device enough to matter since the Gamecube era, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

A fist made of iron.

Go's well up the rear of people doing a 1 page debate over if something is Pokemon or not.
    Brutal.

Only some of the best fighting games of all time!
    That's an odd way to write Street Fighter!

(I was going to go with Smash, but I decided that was too far).

I think all of you guys missed the point I was making. The guy I replied to "it will sell because it's Pokemon theu do the same thing every game and barely change the gameplay" which is a pants on head retarded thing to say about pokken and shows a complete ignorance of what pokken even is.

Yes it's a Pokemon game but it's not part of the main series nor does it play anything like any other Pokemon game
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552