https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/statu...45397258682368

Splatoon 2 next big update planned for end of February.

The masses of people don't care if a TV OR CONSOLE can do 4k.

They buy what is cheap options when they need a new one. This is why you started to see cheap 4k TVs pickup in sales this holiday season as there really isn't much left in the way of cheaper 1080p ones. This is why those same people give a rats ass about the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro and bought more of the Xbox One S $189.99 model and PS4 Slim $199.99 model this holiday.

So even when we get to a point where "most" people have 4k in their homes the general mass still wouldn't give a shit if a console did 4k or not if there was a cheaper model playing the same games.

These same people also won't own UHDBR players or upgrade their collection to UHD when available either which also makes it funny when people try to use them as a barometer for 4K. These people are going to watch their cable broadcast(with most channels still being 720p LUL upscaled to 4k) and netflix(which 4k content on here is FAR FAR worse then 1080p basic BRs we're talking literally 1/4th the bit rate ffs).

In general outside of gaming(as in high end PC, PS4P or XBOX) or expensively upgrading your movie collection to UHDBR 4k res is 100% wasted right now. You just buy a 4k TV when you're looking for one because there is no longer a point in buying a 1080p one, they aren't really cheaper anymore.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-01-22 at 05:06 AM.

Also, today (Jaunary 21st at the time of this writing) is the 19th anniversary of the initial Japanese launch of Smash Bros. 64. I'm now not expecting Smash this year, but maybe next year for the series' 20th anniversary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The masses of people don't care if a TV OR CONSOLE can do 4k.

They buy what is cheap options when they need a new one. This is why you started to see cheap 4k TVs pickup in sales this holiday season as there really isn't much left in the way of cheaper 1080p ones. This is why those same people give a rats ass about the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro and bought more of the Xbox One S $189.99 model and PS4 Slim $199.99 model this holiday.

So even when we get to a point where "most" people have 4k in their homes the general mass still wouldn't give a shit if a console did 4k or not if there was a cheaper model playing the same games.
    It's really only the hardcore who weigh the options on whether a "Pro" version of a console is useful to them or not.

It's what happened with me and the NEW 3DS.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    It's really only the hardcore who weigh the options on whether a "Pro" version of a console is useful to them or not.

It's what happened with me and the NEW 3DS.
    Well Nintendo avoids that completely because the New 3DS literally replaced all previous 3DS models, so if you've been looking to buy a 3DS for the last 2 years it's either a 2DS, used 3DS or a N3DS.

Where as the Pro and X are absolutely just enthusiast systems that get lower shipment numbers from MS and Sony to supplement their market the N3DS was basically a new model that kicked the old one off store shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well Nintendo avoids that completely because the New 3DS literally replaced all previous 3DS models, so if you've been looking to buy a 3DS for the last 2 years it's either a 2DS, used 3DS or a N3DS.

Where as the Pro and X are absolutely just enthusiast systems that get lower shipment numbers from MS and Sony to supplement their market the N3DS was basically a new model that kicked the old one off store shelves.
    Well, at the time of launch and up until about a year or so ago, the New 3DS was absolutely a Nintendo enthusiast item. Heck, the N3DS and XL versions can still be considered enthusiast items since the N2DS is the cheaper option now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Well, at the time of launch and up until about a year or so ago, the New 3DS was absolutely a Nintendo enthusiast item. Heck, the N3DS and XL versions can still be considered enthusiast items since the N2DS is the cheaper option now.
    Nintendo literally stopped shipping 3DS systems when the 3DS XL launched, and stopped shipping 3DSXL systems when the N3DS and N3DSXL launched.

That's not an enthusiast item that's literally a model being replaced. Claiming it's an enthusiast item because of the 2DS is like claiming the XL was an enthusiast model because it was the same price difference /facepalm

Nintendo future models are not comparable to the X or Pro situation at all. Nintendo has never made a model revision with the intention of it sharing the market with their current model. Nintendo may very well take an X/Pro style approach in the future with the Switch but the N3DS was certainly not that.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-01-22 at 05:25 AM.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/169991357749

Nintendo has applied for an Animal Crossing trademark (in English instead of the Japanese name of Dobutsu no Mori) in Japan.

Probably just something standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    4k tvs are pretty much the only thing you can buy in the UK, I went to buy a 1080p tv 2 years ago and there was maybe 2 tvs that were 1080p and the other 50 were 4k. Plus the price was £80-100 difference. 1080p is dead.

That being said, I had a choice, pro or bog standard, was an easy choice because I'm not fussed about 4k gaming yet and with no 4k player I couldn't justify the difference.

My 4k tv is mainly used for 4k tv, which is not true 4k because of compression but it still looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    4k tvs are pretty much the only thing you can buy in the UK, I went to buy a 1080p tv 2 years ago and there was maybe 2 tvs that were 1080p and the other 50 were 4k. Plus the price was £80-100 difference. 1080p is dead.
    Where? every curries, pc world, maplins, asda and so on near me in the midlands have one or two 4k's for over a grand with dozens of 1080 smart tvs for around £250-£300. I know one person willing to spend money on 4k and they are a hardcore quality snob that wont even watch a film on dvd anymore even if it never had a blu ray release. Folks in my experience want smart tvs that come with netflix and the iplayer built in, most dont even seem to know what 4k is and treat it the same as curved or 3d tvs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Where? every curries, pc world, maplins, asda and so on near me in the midlands have one or two 4k's for over a grand with dozens of 1080 smart tvs for around £250-£300. I know one person willing to spend money on 4k and they are a hardcore quality snob that wont even watch a film on dvd anymore even if it never had a blu ray release. Folks in my experience want smart tvs that come with netflix and the iplayer built in, most dont even seem to know what 4k is and treat it the same as curved or 3d tvs.
    Yeovil Somerset.

At the 40" range on their website they have 7 TVs at the sub £300 mark 6 of them are 1080[. 14 at the 300-400 range of which 8 are 1080p then you have 15 in the 400-500 range one is 1080p. So of 35 22 are 4k, with the obvious difference being that Sub £300 range, but that middle range is fairly even.

However of those 1080p ones only 7 are actually available in store.

I went ages ago and I only saw 3 1080p TVs total, admittedly it was black friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    4k TV's aren't expensive. Lots of 4k TV's under €500:
    https://tweakers.net/categorie/621/t...KUqODholRbWwsA
    Under $/€500 is still above $/€200 not everyone has or wants to drop $/€300+ down on a tv and as it stands a vast majority give no fuck's if its 4K. There is also a huge lack of 4K content and that is one of the reasons why people give no fuck's about 4K.

The majority tv owned is 1080p, That isn't changing anytime soon.

Until the price drops more and there is more 4K content it will stay that way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

You guys are cracking me up on TV prices. TV Prices are literally the lowest they've been in a long time. 10 Years ago a 32 inch LED TV was almost $2000. I just bought a name brand 43" 4K tv last week for $250. TVs are the cheapest they've ever been, and you can find 32' 4K tv's now for under $200. 10 years ago you were lucky to get a 20 inch CRT for $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    You guys are cracking me up on TV prices. TV Prices are literally the lowest they've been in a long time. 10 Years ago a 32 inch LED TV was almost $2000. I just bought a name brand 43" 4K tv last week for $250. TVs are the cheapest they've ever been, and you can find 32' 4K tv's now for under $200. 10 years ago you were lucky to get a 20 inch CRT for $200.
    I'd love to know where you found a name brand 43' 4K television at that price. Because I find it hard to believe.

And no not a 3rd party named one. I mean something like Samsung or LG.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-01-24 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    Link me some 32 Inch 4K Tv's for under $200 otherwise I call bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'd love to know where you found a name brand 43' 4K television at that price. Because I find it hard to believe.

And no not a 3rd party named one. I mean something like Samsung or LG.
    Hell I doubt he can even show 3rd party ones at that price.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Amazon has a few 4k tvs for around $340, pricing has dropped quite a bit in the last few years. just two years ago we had to get a new tv and got a regular 1080p 50 inch for $500
    https://www.amazon.com/TCL-49S405-49...keywords=4k+tv
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...keywords=4k+tv

in regard to games, i'm really excited for the new ones coming out, Kirby looks set to be really fun, as does Donkey Kong. Mario tennis did sound a bit boring but I am still going to get that. the one game I really want is a smash bros. game

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Amazon has a few 4k tvs for around $340, pricing has dropped quite a bit in the last few years. just two years ago we had to get a new tv and got a regular 1080p 50 inch for $500.
    Yes pricing has dropped no one has said it hasn't, But until its $200 or less for a 4K TV and there is 4K content they won't be owned by a majority. The day I can walk into a store like Walmart and just see a crap ton of cheap 4K tv's is the day the majority of people will own one.

People give more fuck's about a TV can use netflix (Smart TV) over 4K.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-01-24 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference in price at the 40+' range is so marginal but you're right 1080p is still king of the cheapo tv range sub 40'.
    Theres just not enough 4k content, I watch some YouTube occasionally and it is mind blowing how much better it is to my eyes, regardless of the whole can't tell the difference. Like I said before , I wanted a 1080p but in my big store I went you they had Abbott 5 or 6 to choose from and a good 15 4k ones. The stores are pushing 4k which leads me to believe they'll take over soon outside of the junk supermarkets.

Deleted
    So, anyone of you tried Lost Sphear yet? I was really underwhelmed by the Demo, and the steep price-tag makes me vary of getting it. For reference, I actually did enjoy "I am Setsuna" a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by fatisha View Post
    So, anyone of you tried Lost Sphear yet? I was really underwhelmed by the Demo, and the steep price-tag makes me vary of getting it. For reference, I actually did enjoy "I am Setsuna" a lot.
    I wouldn't touch it until it's $20 or less. Setsuna wasn't a bad purchase at that price point but any higher for these type of games which are basically glorified indy projects square is selling at rather large price points is meh.