10+ Year Old Account
    Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, has 91 large monsters (as opposed to World's 32 and that's including Kulve Taroth which you can't fight right now), has styles which switch up the gameplay pretty dramatically, has G Rank which World is missing, and has the portability of the Switch. There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to play Generations Ultimate after World. Doesn't mean it's better but it objectively has way more content, like WAAAAYYYYY more, so old fans who are used to some of the QoL things from Monster Hunter games of old would definitely have plenty of reasons to switch over to Generations Ultimate especially since World has died down.

I don't even know why this is an argument. I'm sure newer fans are gonna play Generations Ultimate and hate it since it misses a lot of the great QoL changes, but Generations Ultimate and World are very different games and there's plenty of reasons to play one over the other.

Ah the ole quantity = quality argument.

I'm sure there are reasons some major niche in the fan base might like it better, but that's never a winning argument. More is not better.

The main drawback of Generations was, and always will be, how they changed the weapon upgrade system. They over complicated it. Sometimes more is not better.

Will I still get GenU on Switch? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that they did take a lot of missteps with this one.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Your likely not, But do you also accept the otherside of the coin that many see Worlds as the best MH title released?

Sells alone speak for themselves and I would place my money on a vast majority thinking Worlds is the best Monster Hunter to date.

With that said this is the Dark Souls argument but with MH, Some see DS1 as the best others see DS2/DS3 or Bloodborne/Demon's Souls. But going off purely sells and install base MHW is the best.
    I'm not saying otherwise, that's why Tech's counterpoint was silly in my opinion. As long as the two games were different enough, there's always going to be people who prefer one over the other. I personally enjoyed the Monster Hunters before Worlds more overall.
    I'll pick up the Switch one because I have other friends doing the same, so we'll all play together in one room again, without having to lug PS4s around.

But there is truth to this and as a Switch owner ill even admit it.

I bought Doom because it was portable and on Switch, Ill buy Wolfenstein for the same reason. I'm buying Dark Souls for the same reason. If the game gets a switch port ill likely buy it. I do disagree with comparing them to drug addicts like Tech did but it is kinda true if it gets a Switch port people will buy it
    And then to quickly shoot a hole in that, did you buy ARMS, or Pokken Tournament on the Switch?

Just because something is on the Switch doesn't mean people are frothing to buy it like it's being made to sound.
    It's just a matter of preference on system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

I'm sure there are reasons some major niche in the fan base might like it better, but that's never a winning argument. More is not better.
    Variety does help.
    Especially when it comes to a game that is about killing monsters over and over again.
    Especially when people have their own favorite monster to fight, and Generations is far more likely to have that monster.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2018-05-12 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, has 91 large monsters (as opposed to World's 32 and that's including Kulve Taroth which you can't fight right now), has styles which switch up the gameplay pretty dramatically, has G Rank which World is missing, and has the portability of the Switch. There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to play Generations Ultimate after World. Doesn't mean it's better but it objectively has way more content, like WAAAAYYYYY more, so old fans who are used to some of the QoL things from Monster Hunter games of old would definitely have plenty of reasons to switch over to Generations Ultimate especially since World has died down.

I don't even know why this is an argument. I'm sure newer fans are gonna play Generations Ultimate and hate it since it misses a lot of the great QoL changes, but Generations Ultimate and World are very different games and there's plenty of reasons to play one over the other.
    And you forgot the most important cherry on top, transmog! Been waiting forever for that, and world was a huge letdown in that regard. My biggest problem with gen was the best belt in the game that I needed for like all my builds was the ugliest thing ever to the point where I refused to use it which greatly limited my builds, being able to mog over those kinds of things is just yes.

I enjoyed world but the game ended up making me want to go back and play 4u I imagine just because of how quickly I ran out of anything worth doing (and franky 4u just being amazingly well done with the itemization and pacing). Yeah the QoL was nice in world but what they got in graphics and QoL they lost in other areas. (funnily enough I thought it was going to feel worse going from gen -> world with the "downgrade" of losing styles going into world)

World left me craving more MH to play because there wasn't enough there and realistically they aren't going to be able to pump out enough content for world to scratch that itch. So I'm happy XX is getting ported over at the end of the day because there is just more game there and I already know its a damned good game that I'll enjoy, just with the things the version I have is missing (Grank, tmog, new styles, new gear from Grank).

Yeah it sucks its basically full priced DLC (even worse that its only switch and not 3ds), but we always knew that was the case and that we were only getting the U versions. As soon as we saw Gen we knew we'd be getting wrapped up in what japan was dealing with and eventually would be getting gen U at full price. Kinda just is what it is, I actually think the gap between gen and gen u will be a good thing for me since its been so long since I last played gen that it'll all be fresh again.

- - - Updated - - -

Its actually a game play vs graphics argument for the most part... since y'know... MH was already a more than quality game and what world did was trade away game play via more monsters and armor sets to hunt for etc etc for graphics and QoL upgrades (a lot of which could exist on the 3ds versions if they had made those decisions at the time).

So in this case more can be better, if you're the kind of player who cares more about game play than graphics. Since the game play in prior games was always what carried the series and you simply get more of it in XX.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    MH was already a more than quality game
    Highly subjective, as evidence by it's strong fan base that while strong didn't produce any real growth until MHW. Don't want to get in a pissing match that will get MH fans mad, I'll just leave it at IMO MH games prior to MHW haven't really been quality in a long, long time. I can see why people loved the game, I also see why the 3DS entries didn't attract new fans and even left me underwhelmed. Just two different strokes.

In a completely unrelated note, cool vid from DF and in spite of the title I feel like the video is more a testament to how I have told people the Switch actually is pretty cutting edge for it's price point and being portable and also won't be upgraded any time in the near future. Even a mid gen upgrade might be hard to accomplish as it would be really minor at best, and a new Switch gen is probably a long ass ways off. Longer then the typical Nintendo console gen rate of 5 years.

Highly subjective, as evidence by it's strong fan base that while strong didn't produce any real growth until MHW. Don't want to get in a pissing match that will get MH fans mad, I'll just leave it at IMO MH games prior to MHW haven't really been quality in a long, long time. I can see why people loved the game, I also see why the 3DS entries didn't attract new fans and even left me underwhelmed. Just two different strokes.
    If anything your first sentence there reinforces my point, since the largest change going into world by far was the graphical improvement, core gameplay stayed the same with tweaks. I imagine you don't need to be told how people value graphics over gameplay today, I can't begin to tell you how many people I've come across that were interested in MH but could never get into it because they couldn't get past the graphics on a 3ds.

If your measure of quality is purely based around graphics then yes, otherwise no.

And that's not to even get into that the size of somethings audience (outside of japan in this case anyway) =/= the quality of the thing. Something can be both niche and high quality, that's something I see as an issue in a lot of games today where they try to cater to as broad an audience as possible to get.... quantity over quality... instead of just making the best game they can for who its really for.

- - - Updated - - -

video
    That was neat, I never really bothered to look into how they made the thing.

Wonder what things will look like by 2022 that they're saying they hope / plan for the switch to last til then. I was just talking to someone before about how crazy stuff is now, I remember playing playstation and pokemon as a kid and thinking how amazing it would be if they managed to get ps1 graphics on a handheld how great it would be and it seemed like such an impossible far off thing and they've LONG since passed what I was imagining back then.

I'm ready for those like VR deep dive things you see in animes already.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm not saying otherwise, that's why Tech's counterpoint was silly in my opinion. As long as the two games were different enough, there's always going to be people who prefer one over the other. I personally enjoyed the Monster Hunters before Worlds more overall.
    I'll pick up the Switch one because I have other friends doing the same, so we'll all play together in one room again, without having to lug PS4s around.

And then to quickly shoot a hole in that, did you buy ARMS, or Pokken Tournament on the Switch?

Just because something is on the Switch doesn't mean people are frothing to buy it like it's being made to sound.
    It's just a matter of preference on system.
    No I didn't buy Arms or Pokken but that was due to price and I had no interest in ether. But I do agree people are not frothing to buy games on it, But if a game does get ported it will likely sell just due to the portable factor.

I would somewhat agree with Tech if this was still the first couple of months of the system's life where it lacked games. But now it actually has a decent amount so I wouldn't be surprised if people buying random games is down compared to before.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Wonder what things will look like by 2022 that they're saying they hope / plan for the switch to last til then.
    Yea the most interesting thing will be if that was conservative coming off Wii U failure estimate or a one for things as we know it now.

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo go's with their typical console generational gaps, or handheld ones. For example Nintendo usually replaced their home consoles with a new gen every 5 years on average where as with handhelds it has been a much different story.

Nintendo has kept their handhelds going much longer on average with some upgraded revisions. Outside of the GBA->DS jump(where Nintendo supported both platforms at the same time for a short while) we have.

GB- 1989(GBP, and GBC revisions)
    GBA- 2001(GBA SP and GBM revisions)

and

DS- 2004(DSL, DSI, DSIXL revisions)
    3DS- 2011(XL, 2DS, N3DS, N3DSXL, N2DSXL revisions)

So if the tech isn't there for a true generational jump(at an affordable price) for Nintendo in 2022, going with the above handheld model they could easily stretch it out to 2024 with revisions probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possible leaks:

If its true i like it. Submerged pallet town. Grafic on pokemon a little worse than pokken.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Possible leaks:

If its true i like it. Submerged pallet town. Grafic on pokemon a little worse than pokken.
    I've heard of this particular one, and a lot of insiders I've been hearing are hinting at this.

Would still be interesting, especially if they go with the 100 years in the future angle.

Could also use human ghosts or having cameos be old by the time you see them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, doing a gen 1 reimagining would help speed up not only this reimagining (refurbishing old maps and character designs), but also the next games including the actual gen 8 games by having the gen 1 reimaginings help get the growing pains of a new engine out of the way.

- - - Updated - - -

And on that topic:

https://twitter.com/AshandSerena/sta...89079385284610

During the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon meetup earlier today, Pokemon's Junichi Masuda dodged the topic of Gen 8 when asked to tell everyone to buy a Switch if you don't have one.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one more hinting at a Switch Pokemon game this year:

Here's another one, French Poketuber Flidrong posted a video talking about his talk with haricotv (a Pokemon VGC player) who had a discussion with a Portuguese referee at a tournament in Prague and during the discussion, said referee asked a Pokemon Company International employee about whether the Switch game would be out by the European Championships in London (November 17-18 this year), and said employee winked and said "We are ready."

About 6:30 into the video below.

You would be mad to not make a next gen pokemon game on the switch and get people on your online sub,

Pokemon is made for battling people online, would be a huge draw

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You would be mad to not make a next gen pokemon game on the switch and get people on your online sub,

Pokemon is made for battling people online, would be a huge draw
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the new Pokemon game the same day Nintendo's Online service starts.

If we don't hear from it at E3 that likely won't happen tho and it will be a November/December release.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the new Pokemon game the same day Nintendo's Online service starts.
    I think they're targeting Smash for that day.

Smash alone will get a sub for nearly every purchase of it, Pokemon big but not so much in this regard as a lot of people could probably enjoy Pokemon without the online features.

Smash though, unless you have a lot of friends coming over to play on the couch absolutely requires the online play.

I think they're targeting Smash for that day.

Smash alone will get a sub for nearly every purchase of it, Pokemon big but not so much in this regard as a lot of people could probably enjoy Pokemon without the online features.

Smash though, unless you have a lot of friends coming over to play on the couch absolutely requires the online play.
    Smash is definitely a must have.
    I mean, even if you have just a single friend you play with, the 2v2 mode was pretty fun on Smash 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Smash is definitely a must have.
    I mean, even if you have just a single friend you play with, the 2v2 mode was pretty fun on Smash 4.
    Yep and a Sep launch for Smash puts some space between it and Pokemon(which will probably be the week before black friday based off past releases). That leaves Dec open for Fire Emblem(guessing it will launch here ala XC2, XCX western release was also Dec so it seems to be the "JRPG Month" for Nintendo) and October open for a surprise.

Also would guess Yoshi is an August release, has to be nearly complete and it would get swallowed up in a holiday season month.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-05-12 at 08:46 PM.

Yep and a Sep launch for Smash puts some space between it and Pokemon(which will probably be the week before black friday based off past releases). That leaves Dec open for Fire Emblem(guessing it will launch here ala XC2, XCX western release was also Dec so it seems to be the "JRPG Month" for Nintendo) and October open for a surprise.

Also would guess Yoshi is an August release, has to be nearly complete and it would get swallowed up in a holiday season month.
    I'm more thinking of October 26th (the last Friday in October). Especially if the Switch has a large number of third party games coming out. Also, keeps it farther away from Fire Emblem.

Also, if they have their financial meeting during the last three days of October like last year, than their best selling franchise selling gangbusters would help make sure to get the meeting off to a good start.

As for Yoshi, I'm worried we might end up in a Woolly World situation where we might not see that game again until 2019. Hopefully not. I'm also wondering if they might be saving it for March or June 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    If facts don't change your mind there is a term for that. Can't say it for fear of "not showing people respekt" on an internet forum even though it's pretty tame.

- - - Updated - - -

Nintendo charging $20 for a piece of plastic to stand your switch up while charging now? I mean it's nice to have a non 3rd party solution that won't brick your system but holy shit. Hopefully it comes with an extra charging cable at that price(since using other non Nintendo USB C charging cables has also bricked switches).
    Id feel better about paying 30 if it included a charger than 20 without one. I thought it included one at first. I might get it. Not sure yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive never played a MH game, so I might pick that up when its 20, but not at full price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Id feel better about paying 30 if it included a charger than 20 without one. I thought it included one at first. I might get it. Not sure yet.
    The charger costs more than 20 bucks, no way you'd ever get bundle for 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    The charger costs more than 20 bucks, no way you'd ever get bundle for 30.
    Just saying what I think would be a good price. Charger shouldn't be more than 30 imo..