Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Current gen could handle most settings at max except view distance and shadows and still hold 60 tbh.

WoW is no where near that technically demanding, especially after 8.1 which actually brought the game into modern optimization standards.
    Can humans even differentiate between 60fps and 40?

Our eyeballs simply can't process that much information.

I believe that when below 30-40, some will see a difference, generally the younger crowd. And I'd allow grace up to 40. But between 40 and 60 - our eyes just can't handle the input.

Youtube operates at 24 (or used to years ago, dunno if they still do the exact 24, but it hasn't moved much if any), as with most movies on older systems, like DVD, on older players. There was a push to upscale and increase frames on Blu-Ray players.

If you ever watch Star Trek:TNG old episodes, either on HD cable or on an upscaled Blu Ray player, you can notice that the images look .. "floaty"? I don't know the word to describe it. It appears strange to what I remember, even though it was computer enhanced, with regard to animation. I can't explain the words, you have to see it for yourself. It's Floaty! But that might just be the difference between 24 fps and what I'm actually seeing, which is enhanced much higher.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-12-17 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

Yes. They can. To both of these statements.

The whole 24fps thing is only to make motion look...natural, and it originated back in ye olde days of Film when the availability and cost, storage, and usage of Film ITSELF was the limiting factor here. And it works perfectly for TV and Film to create motion. But in a video game, where you actively interact with the world a person can easily tell the difference between, say 30fps and 60fps. The human eye has NO LIMITS when it comes to things like: FPS (as in the real physical world..."FPS" doesn't exist) and resolution (again..same thing....the real world cannot be measured in resolution).

When I play a game like WoW...I can tell the difference between when I run at 50FPS in a highly populated area, and 100fps when I am in a raid. It's clear as day that one is a LOT more smooth than the other.
    Last edited by Keile; 2018-12-17 at 03:30 AM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Oh man not this shit again.

In the earlier days of SFIV when we would always play in training stage because real stages would have random drops to 55-58 fps that would completely screw up link timing, yes we can tell the difference in fucking 58 fps and 60 fps. Let alone 40 and 60.

15+ Year Old Account

I believe that when below 30-40, some will see a difference, generally the younger crowd. And I'd allow grace up to 40. But between 40 and 60 - our eyes just can't handle the input.

Youtube operates at 24 (or used to years ago, dunno if they still do the exact 24, but it hasn't moved much if any), as with most movies on older systems, like DVD, on older players. There was a push to upscale and increase frames on Blu-Ray players.

If you ever watch Star Trek:TNG old episodes, either on HD cable or on an upscaled Blu Ray player, you can notice that the images look .. "floaty"? I don't know the word to describe it. It appears strange to what I remember, even though it was computer enhanced, with regard to animation. I can't explain the words, you have to see it for yourself. It's Floaty! But that might just be the difference between 24 fps and what I'm actually seeing, which is enhanced much higher.
    Are you ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Yes. They can. To both of these statements.

The whole 24fps thing is only to make motion look...natural, and it originated back in ye olde days of Film when the availability and cost, storage, and usage of Film ITSELF was the limiting factor here. And it works perfectly for TV and Film to create motion. But in a video game, where you actively interact with the world a person can easily tell the difference between, say 30fps and 60fps. The human eye has NO LIMITS when it comes to things like: FPS (as in the real physical world..."FPS" doesn't exist) and resolution (again..same thing....the real world cannot be measured in resolution).

When I play a game like WoW...I can tell the difference between when I run at 50FPS in a highly populated area, and 100fps when I am in a raid. It's clear as day that one is a LOT more smooth than the other.
    I can see that the human eye has no limits .. but largely because it's an analog input. And analog isn't limited like digital. But Analog gets blurry, where digital does not. Factors like age come into play - your eyes, your brain.

Age is a good factor in appreciation of FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Have you tried the check for corrupted data feature under Data Management -> Software? Something in the update process to allow for Switch Online may have ended up corrupting your games.
    Doesn't find anything and has no effect.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't mind taking a small loss, you can trade it to GameStop to upgrade to a newer model. They appear to be offering $180 + $50 trade credit until next Tuesday .. ($230, if I read correctly).

Try wiping it first. See the video How to Prepare your Switch to Sell.

But they might test it with a random game if it's still messed up. Don't bring in any games with you.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side question, can a Switch system be messed up if updates fill the internal storage? New games have a check in-place for available space .. but updates...

Just an after thought, since the OP says the system started crashing after a Zelda update failed, and the OP mentioned digital games downloads + DLC, without an extra SD memory card. And the factory internal storage is small.

.. perhaps new games can't load because there isn't any room left for new data storage, whether permanent, or temporary. Hence Fortnite not even starting. Wondering if that update overstepped it's permissions because its a 1st party game...
    It was system update. From 5.x to 6.0.

Zelda was just first game I played after it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    If the data corruption thing that john mentioned doesn't work, just mail it in under warranty.
    I've had nothing but great experiences with Nintendo's customer support in this regard.

Hell, they took my 3DS that had a single burnt out pixel and fixed it. They also put in new speakers because the output was slightly lower on them (I didn't even send it in for this, I only said the pixel).
    I bought the console in July 2017. No warranty left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I bought the console in July 2017. No warranty left.
    Oh for some reason I thought you said 2018.
    That sucks

So unwarranted repair would cost 250€ plus shipping.

New console is 320€ unbundled...

Fuck me.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2018-12-17 at 09:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So unwarranted repair would cost 250€ plus shipping.

New console is 330€ unbundled...

Fuck me.
    Wait for xmas sale or something?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Wait for xmas sale or something?
    It is fucking Christmas. You think they wouldn't have the sale up by now?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is fucking Christmas. You think they wouldn't have the sale up by now?
    Found one cheaper:
    https://www.amazon.de/Nintendo-Switc...witch+nintendo

EUR 289.00 + 10 for shipping at least
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Honestly I think buying new Switch 1.0 is pointless right now. They'll soon reveal the new version, I just hope it comes in summer instead of holidays 2019.

The thing that annoys me the most are the joycons. I got a new switch when they first came out, pretty much, and my left joycon constantly walks or moves things to the left. Playing breath of the wild is frustrating when Link walks off a cliff when I'm just trying to stand in one spot.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    The thing that annoys me the most are the joycons. I got a new switch when they first came out, pretty much, and my left joycon constantly walks or moves things to the left. Playing breath of the wild is frustrating when Link walks off a cliff when I'm just trying to stand in one spot.
    The original batch of Joycons had connection issues.
    Something about the bluetooth antenna in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The original batch of Joycons had connection issues.
    Something about the bluetooth antenna in them.
    The drifting issue isn't the same as that, it's a manufacturing defect that allows dust to collect under the stick that causes it.

Honestly I think buying new Switch 1.0 is pointless right now. They'll soon reveal the new version, I just hope it comes in summer instead of holidays 2019.
    What makes you think there's a new Switch on the way?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

7+ Year Old Account
    My Switch is Splatoon bundle from July 2017. It has worked fine untill this october when after 6.0 update Zelda started crashing. Now every game has some issue.

Graphical glitches and crashing on cart games (more DLC/patches seem to make crashing more likely) and digital games fail to load at all. Splatoon takes 4 to 5 tries to load without crashing and Fortnite plain won't load.
    Your SD card might be dying. That happened to me. First stuff started to be slow to load. Then slow to update. Then finally started getting update errors. Decided to try to format the card, managed to copy everything off onto my computer (so slow). Formatted it, stuck it back in the Switch, started downloading again, got a couple games done, then errored again. Put it back in the computer to do a more detailed format, error, formatting program crashed. Killed and reset it, then the card stopped even being detected by the computer or the Switch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Your SD card might be dying. That happened to me. First stuff started to be slow to load. Then slow to update. Then finally started getting update errors. Decided to try to format the card, managed to copy everything off onto my computer (so slow). Formatted it, stuck it back in the Switch, started downloading again, got a couple games done, then errored again. Put it back in the computer to do a more detailed format, error, formatting program crashed. Killed and reset it, then the card stopped even being detected by the computer or the Switch.
    He already had said he didn't use an sd card

- - - Updated - - -

I JUST got an email my nes controller shipped. But on the 13th. And delivered on the 15th. Kay.

I can see that the human eye has no limits .. but largely because it's an analog input. And analog isn't limited like digital. But Analog gets blurry, where digital does not. Factors like age come into play - your eyes, your brain.

Age is a good factor in appreciation of FPS.
    I don't think you quite understand how our eyes work. They are not analog, they are not digital. You cannot actually describe them with terms used for technology. They do not have a "screen" (even though people describe the Retina as such, it really isn't a screen...the image isn't being projected the retina just has the cells that are sensitive to light and then send that info to the brain, which then unscrambles it all. Also, for a little funfact: Your eyes actually see everything upside down. Your brain flips the image once it assembles all the information sent to it).

Yes, age is a factor...to a degree. The image may blur for people, but that doesn't effect how quickly they can see motion. Just how CLEAR they see the image.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.