Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Lots of reports of an updated switch coming this year.
    Personally I kind of don't see the point but we are not privy in the goals that Nintendo set out for themselves.

I see two scenarios playing out.
    If Nintendo want to attract more 3e party developers then I think any new device should be allot closer to the PS5/Xbox Series X in terms of raw power.
    if Nintendo wants to add improve there own games then I can see the point in a updated switch.

Any new revision cannot be so powerful that games optimized for it wouldn't run on regular Switch. Nintendo won't be throwing out 80 million userbase 4 years into the console's lifespan.

That'll limit how big jump the revision could be. DLSS upscaling and little smoother framerate at the struggling titles is probably best we could hope for.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    You can remove doom. Your starting class can learn that skill.
    I tend to abandon Freelancer pretty quickly, but then go back and level it later. So meh, it's not a big deal. Doesn't change the fact that they neutered the crap out of the Black Mage and White Mage effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Any new revision cannot be so powerful that games optimized for it wouldn't run on regular Switch. Nintendo won't be throwing out 80 million userbase 4 years into the console's lifespan.

That'll limit how big jump the revision could be. DLSS upscaling and little smoother framerate at the struggling titles is probably best we could hope for.
    To prevent that is kind of simple, use the same basic CPU just like how Microsoft is doing with the Series X and S. You still need to do some work to support both devices but the amount of work that is required is kept to the minimum.
    Honestly I think it's just easier and as profitabel for Nintendo to keep the current Switch going for another 2 or 3 years and then do a generation upgrade.

I know I read some rumors of it being having an OLED screen and PS4 power range.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

They released the upgraded 3DS like 3 years into its life. Guess what came with the upgraded version... that’s right, games that wouldn’t play on launch hardware. Had to have a “new” 3ds.
    Which is exactly why they won't do that with Switch.

Those games sold fuckall.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    To prevent that is kind of simple, use the same basic CPU just like how Microsoft is doing with the Series X and S. You still need to do some work to support both devices but the amount of work that is required is kept to the minimum.
    Honestly I think it's just easier and as profitabel for Nintendo to keep the current Switch going for another 2 or 3 years and then do a generation upgrade.
    As long as it uses the same architecture, it shouldn't matter. So it'll have to run on the Nvidia Tegra platform, probably Xavier which is the latest SoC, if they expect to run natively at 4K. I'm very much looking forward to an updated Switch console though.

They released the upgraded 3DS like 3 years into its life. Guess what came with the upgraded version... that’s right, games that wouldn’t play on launch hardware. Had to have a “new” 3ds.
    Yep there was only 3 of them and their sales was piss poor. If a game releases for the "Switch Pro" it will work on the switch as well, Even if it has to be played via the cloud like RE7 and Hitman 3 does on the switch.

The Switch is on track to be Nintendo's best selling console ever, they will not gimp that in anyway.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

On Switch pro, IF it exists, 4k upscaling for games in docked mode would be nice. 7" screen at 720p still had very good pixel density. There are a lot, lot, lot of reasons to keep the screen at 720p.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1367534084092612608

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status...84061308284928

720p is, imo, the right target for the handheld mode on a forwards compatible model. Docked, upscaling tech to smooth similar to an mclassic would be nice, but any speed bump in docked would also be very appreciated. That'll be fine.

Two wishes though.

First, jump the screen size up. 7 inches would be PERFECT.

Second, make the screen better. OLED would be real nice if they can get around burnin, but something like micro led would provide an immense improvement as well.

I recently upgraded my gaming TV to a LG CX,(from a mid grade 2018 Vizio M series(iirc) with local dimming, hdr, 4k, a nice set for what it was) and really I had no idea what I was missing. I did not know what I was missing. This CX has picture quality that makes it a guarantee that I will never be able to go back to anything else. It is absolutely incredible, and more than a single generational leap in tv tech, imo. So yeah, upgrading that screen quality on the Switch would be a much bigger upgrade than maybe yall realize. Imagine if this thing had a quality screen, even at this pixel density, it could look incredible with the right screen.

In my experience, good screen turns a cheap feeling product to a premium feeling product, no matter how cheap it actually is.

I have a feeling that how this will be received will be directly relational to the thinness of the bezel. More thin = more loved.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-03-04 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    As long as it uses the same architecture, it shouldn't matter. So it'll have to run on the Nvidia Tegra platform, probably Xavier which is the latest SoC, if they expect to run natively at 4K. I'm very much looking forward to an updated Switch console though.
    Native 4k isn't happening period. 4k with DLSS isn't even happening unless Nintendo can afford to get tensor cores in the thing.

- - - Updated - - -

The N3DS version of Xenoblade was such a flop they had to release the game on Switch again because still nobody played it. It was a failed experiment. The only other notable N3DS only game is Fire Emblem Warriors and that was a Switch game down ported to it so pretty obvious why they couldn't get that to work on OG 3DS.

Lets not act like the N3DS somehow got gangbuster exclusives or some shit.

BotW and Link’s Awakening both experience some serious frame drops already...
    Link's Awakening drops look like a streaming bottleneck and nothing to do with cpu/gpu unless you're getting a Switch with an SSD that isn't going to be fixed with any hardware.

Also should know LA is 60 fps with drops sometimes when loading in too many assets at once. Its not 30 fps with drops. Big difference there.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-04 at 08:35 PM.

The biggest benefit of a N3DS was honestly just stuff like games running smoother. Like Monster Hunter was quite a bit better on the N3DS compared to the old one, faster loading from what I recall too.

If there's a new Switch, that's probably what they'd stick to honestly, just polishing up what they have already.

BotW and Link’s Awakening both experience some serious frame drops already...
    Link's Awaking is 60fps and the only time it does drops is when you transition to another screen..

BoTW had FPS issues when it launched 4 years ago. Using it as a example on why we would get a full on new system now isn't a good example.

Like I said at the very least if they do a switch pro and it has "exclusive games" those games will work on the Switch as well as cloud played games. Just like how Resident Evil 7 and Hitman 3 does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The biggest benefit of a N3DS was honestly just stuff like games running smoother. Like Monster Hunter was quite a bit better on the N3DS compared to the old one, faster loading from what I recall too.

If there's a new Switch, that's probably what they'd stick to honestly, just polishing up what they have already.
    Ya this is very likely the case. If any performance is in the dock I can even see current switch's working with it. Would explain why they discontinued the dock.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Developing for the new Switch model is gonna be a nightmare. Having to create a 4k version of your game and then a 720p version is gonna be ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would really rather just wait 2 more years and get a custom arm thats a midway between ps4/pro, but really - doubling the ram is more important

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yep there was only 3 of them and their sales was piss poor. If a game releases for the "Switch Pro" it will work on the switch as well, Even if it has to be played via the cloud like RE7 and Hitman 3 does on the switch.

The Switch is on track to be Nintendo's best selling console ever, they will not gimp that in anyway.
    Gonna be hard for the Switch to hit 118 million the Gameboy did, but we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Developing for the new Switch model is gonna be a nightmare. Having to create a 4k version of your game and then a 720p version is gonna be ass.
    No it's not. PCs do it. It's called resolution scaling. It's the same freaking game whether it runs at 4K or 1080p. Visual elements might be removed, but it's still the same game.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not. PCs do it. It's called resolution scaling. It's the same freaking game whether it runs at 4K or 1080p. Visual elements might be removed, but it's still the same game.
    It absolutely is not. If it were that easy, then all third party games would come to Switch. Creating a version that runs on the handheld mode and a version that runs on the docked mode is already a hassle for development. That will be exacerbated when the difference between the handheld and docked modes will be even further apart from each other.

It's not as simple as flipping the resolution to 720p and calling it a day.

Best selling system would be DS, not the gameboy and the Switch is going to pass the gameboy easily. It probably won't reach DS 150 million though. If you just count home consoles its easily going to beat the Wii's 100 mil. It only needs a little less then 2 years selling at current pace to pass the gameboy, so even if sales slow down for the final 3 years of the system's life span it's still passing that quite easily. It will pass the Wii by the end of this year. Only way its reaching the DS though is if they get a $99.99 model out next year or something.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-05 at 04:23 AM.

Saw rumor on Reddit that switch pro might have at least one exclusive game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaks...tm_name=iossmf
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-03-05 at 05:24 AM.

Nope. I’ve been told that’s unpossibles.
    I don't think anyone even said that. What people did say is it would probably be irrelevant games if it did happen. Not many give a shit if say RE8 releases only on it, most would rather play it on one of PS5/XSX/PC.

It's not going to have a major release from Nintendo be exclusive. BoTW2 won't be, MP4 won't be, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3 won't be etc. People said Nintendo wouldn't abandon Switch userbase not that they wouldn't get some obscure ass port as exclusive few people care about.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-03-05 at 07:35 AM.