Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Oh wow no way dude you just described every game ever! 10/10 post.
    The difference being that you can go into a modern game like Elden Ring knowing exactly how Souls games work and still get your ass handed to you, regardless of how "knowledgable" you are. No one's going to unironically tell you "skill issue" for not knowing where to go in Zelda 1, but that will absolutely be the case for a Souls game

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    The difference being that you can go into a modern game like Elden Ring knowing exactly how Souls games work and still get your ass handed to you, regardless of how "knowledgable" you are. No one's going to unironically tell you "skill issue" for not knowing where to go in Zelda 1, but that will absolutely be the case for a Souls game
    Pretty sure Elden Ring is probably the worst one to use as an example for knowledge with how infamous some of the exp grind locations are, so you could easily power to an extreme level and become nearly unkillable with knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was in part the crypticness as well.

There were games where most players could not proceed until you got your next issue of Nintendo Power, or EGM for instructions on what to do next.

It is what makes games like Dark Souls or certain Metroidvanias a no go for me. I'm not a big fan of "The game doesn't hold your hand, figure it out!". I used to be when I was younger, but now in my 40's, I don't have the patience for it.

[Not knocking these games. They just aren't for me anymore.]
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Pretty sure Elden Ring is probably the worst one to use as an example for knowledge with how infamous some of the exp grind locations are, so you could easily power to an extreme level and become nearly unkillable with knowledge.
    Exp grinds are an entirely optional part of the game though. It certainly gives you an advantage, but you can still get through all of Elden Ring without abusing an exp grind once.

Meanwhile, you literally CANNOT progress in Zelda 1 unless you know that the one item in the game that seems to have no purpose whatsoever has to be used in one very specific room to deal with a very specific situation that never appears again in the entire game; something you'll only ever figure out via the internet (which didn't exist at the time) or an aforementioned strategy guide like Nintendo Power. Esotericism at its absolute worst

Exp grinds are an entirely optional part of the game though. It certainly gives you an advantage, but you can still get through all of Elden Ring without abusing an exp grind once.

Meanwhile, you literally CANNOT progress in Zelda 1 unless you know that the one item in the game that seems to have no purpose whatsoever has to be used in one very specific room to deal with a very specific situation that never appears again in the entire game; something you'll only ever figure out via the internet (which didn't exist at the time) or an aforementioned strategy guide like Nintendo Power. Esotericism at its absolute worst
    That sounds more like you're thinking of Castlevania honestly, with it's whole "get the one item and crouch against the wall in a specific area for several moments" or whatever.

I don't remember anything in the original Zelda being that cryptic outside of power gains like heart containers. I could be forgetting a few but I'm pretty sure most of the really cryptic "burn this specific tree" was completely optional.

As for the exp thing, that isn't even what I was saying. You said you still need the skill for Elden Ring. I was just pointing out the right knowledge completely removes that issue, with the right amount of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't remember anything in the original Zelda being that cryptic outside of power gains like heart containers. I could be forgetting a few but I'm pretty sure most of the really cryptic "burn this specific tree" was completely optional.
    Probably talking about the Bait block.

The NES game willow had a part a lot like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally find the 8bit gaming era really frustrating to play, and not as good as the rose tinted glasses crowd like to make it out to be.

16bit era was where gaming really took off IMO. Even now so many SNES games have incredible replay value.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The difference being that you can go into a modern game like Elden Ring knowing exactly how Souls games work and still get your ass handed to you
    Uhh, my 2nd playthrough of elden ring was like a grand total of 6 hours after knowing everything to do and all boss patterns already. Good try though, golf clap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I personally find the 8bit gaming era really frustrating to play, and not as good as the rose tinted glasses crowd like to make it out to be.

16bit era was where gaming really took off IMO. Even now so many SNES games have incredible replay value.
    I have to agree. SNES and Genesis are where gaming took a giant leap forward.

10+ Year Old Account

People misinterpret 'difficulty' due to hardware limitations and underdeveloped design principles as "good game design". For every gem there were hundreds or duds, and clones, just like today.

People like to cite stuff like "devs had to get the game right at launch because there were no day 1 patches. I guess those people never had to deal with soft locks, hard locks, corrupted saves, games that flat out stopped working as a kid who relied on Christmas and birthdays to get new games. Man I wish we had game patches back.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Would agree but perhaps I am biased.

I grew up with SNES and Genesis being current gen. Of course we still had an old school nintendo and sega even. I never found them enjoyable though.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People misinterpret 'difficulty' due to hardware limitations and underdeveloped design principles as "good game design". For every gem there were hundreds or duds, and clones, just like today.

People like to cite stuff like "devs had to get the game right at launch because there were no day 1 patches. I guess those people never had to deal with soft locks, hard locks, corrupted saves, games that flat out stopped working as a kid who relied on Christmas and birthdays to get new games. Man I wish we had game patches back.
    They also see like the FF6s the Super Metroids and the Zeldas and think MAN SNES ERA WAS GODLIKE ignoring all the garbage in-between. Nostalgias a helluva drug when you didn't even know things like BOB, Radical Rex, Dennis the Menace, Shaq Fu even existed.

Hell this is even ignoring how broken the good ones were...Realm in FF6 had the chance to fully crash your game and delete your save files because you used sketch at the wrong time

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    They also see like the FF6s the Super Metroids and the Zeldas and think MAN SNES ERA WAS GODLIKE ignoring all the garbage in-between. Nostalgias a helluva drug when you didn't even know things like BOB, Radical Rex, Dennis the Menace, Shaq Fu even existed.

Hell this is even ignoring how broken the good ones were...Realm in FF6 had the chance to fully crash your game and delete your save files because you used sketch at the wrong time
    Kids these days don't know the disappointment of an LJN game when they think that era was all classics.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Loving splatoon so far already played it more then xenoblade/saints row combined.
    I absolutely hate the riding the rail challenges in the solo area thou.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post

Here is an example. This past weekend, I had an itch for SNES Fighting games. So I got myself an Art of Fighting Rom.

Notalgia told me that this game was amazing. My memory recalled great art, and awesome fighting.

Loaded it up, and started playing. This game is so bad!!! There are 3 moves. Punch, Kick, and Taunt. There are special moves, but not many. Most people would remember Street Fighter 2 as the greatest, maybe even Fatal Fury, or Samurai Shodown. But if you look up all of the fighting games for SNES, you will find so many games that attempted to reach the heights of Street Fighter 2, but just couldn't match up, and ended up being pretty terrible games in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, this is seen through the lens of hindsight. At that time when these lesser games were released, they were forgiven because that was the age where these genre's were being innovated. The point i'm aiming at is that there was a whole lot of trial and error happening, and there were far more errors than successes.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aight. Which one of you people is gonna be that person who picks Oddjob in Goldeneye?
    It do be me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    So from that new game list:

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom -- Maybe
    Pikmin 4 -- skip
    Fire Emblem Engage -- this game is a bit sus, need more info
    Just Dance 2023 Edition -- skip
    Octopath Traveler II -- instant buy
    Fae Farm -- skip
    Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe -- skip (never cared abauth kirby)
    Nintendo Switch Online N64 games (including GoldenEye) -- why does this exist?
    It Takes Two -- skip
    Rune Factory 3 Special -- skip
    Splatoon 3 post-launch content -- skip
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass -- skip
    Ib -- skip
    Tunic -- tried it on pc and this game fells like un-fair a bit. Its harder than older zelda for sure.
    Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion -- skip
    Radiant Silvergun -- skip
    Bayonetta 3 -- skip
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass -- already got it
    Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope -- probaly skip
    Tales of Symphonia Remastered -- you can just play this on steam
    Harvestella -- skip
    Mario Strikers: Battle League update -- skip
    Theaterhythm Final Bar Line -- skip
    Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key -- 300% skip (this type of game is just realy shitty to me, i tried other versions of it)
    Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life -- skip
    Resident Evil Village Cloud -- lol cloud 100% skip
    Master Detective Archives: Rain Code -- skip
    Various Daylife -. skip
    Sifu -- skip
    Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse -- skip
    Fitness Boxing Fist of the North Star -- skip
    SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake --- skip
    OddBallers --- skip
    Factorio -- skip (pc version is just better)
    Endless Dungeon -- it will come on pc, also its a tower defense game ugh..
    Front Mission 1st: Remake --- 1995 game remake... skip 100% --- WHERE IS DAEMON X MACHINA 2???
    So basically you don't like games that aren't JRPGs. Even though Front Mission is a JRPG series, just with customizable robots instead of waifus.

Also not in this list is the Tales of Symphonia Remaster that was announced outside of the Direct, since it is also coming to PC and PS4. Day one buy for me assuming they don't mess up anything in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Here is an example. This past weekend, I had an itch for SNES Fighting games. So I got myself an Art of Fighting Rom.
    Apart from the obvious one in SF2, Killer Instinct has held up remarkably well.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Loving splatoon so far already played it more then xenoblade/saints row combined.
    I absolutely hate the riding the rail challenges in the solo area thou.
    I enjoyed the single player campaign though it ultimately was forgettable to me. The single “hard board” was good but I would have preferred another area. I too hated the rail target challenges, glad those are behind me. Did enjoy the lore dumps though.

Maybe I didn’t play enough Salmon Run in 2, but I’m amazed at how much the weapon loadout influences the match, or perhaps I never had a “rough” combo back then. I lost 8 straight matches a few days ago, and with the new weapon mix this weekend, I didn’t lose a one. This is floating around professional rank 1.

Still haven’t beat the big guy yet though. Perhaps he’s over tunaed…

Apart from the obvious one in SF2, Killer Instinct has held up remarkably well.
    I mean as far as SNES fighters go can't go wrong with Weapon Lord, TMNT Tournament Fighters, DBZ Hyper Dimensions, Power Rangers Fighting Edition, Gundam Wing Endless Duel, that Sailor Moon game that's been circling the tournaments lately

Really if you wanna play SNK fighters it's best to do it on a Neo Geo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Kids these days don't know the disappointment of an LJN game when they think that era was all classics.
    To be fair the shitty games back then have been regulated mobile games and shitty eShop games...and they do a better job of burying them